"BKK Shutdown" in Phuket

PhuketAmerican

As many of you know, there have been protests on and off again drawing small numbers in Phuket Town related to unrest in Bangkok. Tonight my girl is pestering me to accompany her and some university friends to the "BKK Shutdown" as she is calling it. Reluctant since I only partially understand the basics of all this ruckus to go, anyone else been dragged to this? Please dont devolve this into a bunch of pompous self proclaimed expert <deleted> typing in all caps about "how much they hate or love PAD/Suthep/Taksin/Red/Yellow/ Other". I am withdrawing cash already in case the banks close- for first time guys like me (coup virgins) what are 5-10 simple precautions. Im already avoiding red/yellow clothes, just dont want to end up harrassed by either side cause this isnt my political fight.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP:

typing in all caps

DON'T GO

Do I remember correctly, Shot, you used to work on insurance field and therefore used to pick the small printed texts out of the blob?

For precautions, you can stock a bit of money, which is probably overkill at this point. Inform your loved ones back in home, that the international communications might be disturbed at some point, but there is nothing to be worried about. Phuket is far away from where the action is going to be played.

As everybody else have said, this is Thai thing and not your fight. By participating the demonstrations, you can be deported. Simple as that.

Now, that been said. I went to take some photos of the demonstrations today. :) I did not participate with anything, just took some photos and asked few questions from the people. I did carry a camera (partly to show that I was just watching), exchanged few words with the demonstrators, police and volunteers with military style of uniforms.

The feeling in general, during the day, was quite relaxed. The first impression was a police officer almost sleeping on his chair. :) There was few talks, also university students at the stage. People were mostly watching Bangkok shutdown from the TV's. Plenty of Thai flags, few yellow shirts and wristbands.

The police at the provincial hall did not carry guns, just like they said would be the case in Bangkok. The main gates to the provisional hall were wide open, other gates were closed.

I'll probably upload some of the photos to Picasa later on and share here as well.

@LIK: Are you going to close this thread as there is now, and I suppose will be more topics on the Phuket News section.

Or could this one stay as topic for user submitted stories and opinions, which could also include links to the news topics?

@LIK: Are you going to close this thread as there is now, and I suppose will be more topics on the Phuket News section.

Or could this one stay as topic for user submitted stories and opinions, which could also include links to the news topics?

No plan to close. See how it pans out.

• Like 1

There was one farang wailing a large Thai flag at the entrance of the protest site. Based on his enthusiasm, general way of behaving and lack of tan, I think he was an tourist, not an expat.

2014-01-13_15-02-22.jpg

Probably too late, but I would say the best reason for not going is that you would not have had a good time...I don't think there is much to fear from the Phuket protesters, especially since open activity by Red Shirts has basically disappeared since the murder of their former leader Ae Inside. It is mostly for show now.

My wife has attended a few, but she wouldn't even think to ask me to join her.

Anytime I see an image of a farang actively participating in all this bullcrap my first thought is: "what a hopeless douchebag".

Much better to stock up on beer, as Ezergood has suggested, and wait for the tempest-in-a-teapot to pass. (at least in Phuket)

During the coup against Chatichai Choonhavan back in the early 90s I was teaching kindergarten kids on Soi Rajakru, where he had his estate.

The headmistress came in during the middle of the class and said "You can go home now".

My first thought was "what?", I still have four hours to go. My second thought was "beer".

As I left the whole soi was swarming with jeeps with machine guns mounted atop. One of the soldiers yelled "Go back to your country!".

Beer in hand, I got back to my apartment right around the corner and turned on my crappy b&w tv set to try and figure out what was going on.

Mostly they were playing military songs with a Thai flag on the screen on every channel. (no cable back then)

From time to time one of the generals behind the coup would come on with a piece of paper, reading out the reasons they needed to have a coup.

He happened to be doing this at precisely 6am, when the sound check came on and cut him off abruptly, with the national anthem playing.

It was an absolute classic "is there really anyone in control?' moment. Then I went out to Soi Cowboy and had a great night out..everyone was energized, but only the foreigners were actually worried. At the time I was amazed that the Thais could be so blase about their elected government being taken over by the military, but now I just see it as part of a cycle.

Anyway, it was real night to remember, and I am surprised that so few in the media have mentioned the parallels between the conditions that led up to that coup and the current situation.

Same, same: but different.

• Like 2

There was one farang wailing a large Thai flag at the entrance of the protest site. Based on his enthusiasm, general way of behaving and lack of tan, I think he was an tourist, not an expat.

2014-01-13_15-02-22.jpg

look like the typical thaivisa member old,glasses,flip flops and cheap cloths...so who is this quality expat?

did you manage to talk sense with him?

2014-01-13_15-02-22.jpg

I think it looks likes the famous editor now in media all over the region.

2014-01-13_15-02-22.jpg

NOPE!

But does look like one of those TVP or whatever they are called

Now that his picture is public, expect to see him arrested and deported.

"While in our local immigration office yesterday we were advised in a very friendly way that we should be very careful of protests, and be sure not to participate as that is now illegal."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682934-foreign-protesters-not-allowed/

"A second British man has been arrested in Thailand for alleged involvement in violent anti-government "Red Shirt" protests"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/393470-briton-arrested-in-thailand-over-red-shirts-mass-protests/

Despite Google translate, I think the message is clear.

63wv.jpg

2014-01-13_15-02-22.jpg

NOPE!

But does look like one of those TVP or whatever they are called

Really? None that I have ever seen.

Farang have no business in this.

This really does just give fuel to the xenaphobia some Thais have against foreigners. A businessman with millions invested, married with four Thai kids really dosnt have any business with whats going on?

Exactly right..unless you are now a Thai passport holder and eligible to vote..stay out of it.

You really think the authorities care one way or other if you have millions invested here?

You will be shown the exit door just as fast as a down and out bum with no money who gets involved....

• Like 1

Now that his picture is public, expect to see him arrested and deported.

"While in our local immigration office yesterday we were advised in a very friendly way that we should be very careful of protests, and be sure not to participate as that is now illegal."

I don't think so. There is a big difference of expats participating the protests and tourist goofing around. The event here was more of an carnival, which of course attracts people to come to see what is happening.

Well after sussing it out I went out to dinner with my girlfriend and 5 of her uni friends, and we walked to the city hall. It isn't even really a protest. The Thais I went with all had whistles, Thai Flag hair clips, stickers, and flags but none wore yellow and I of course didn't wear anything protest related just nice clothes. The atmosphere was polite and calm, a few hundred locals of all ages (even skewed toward 40+ i would say) including the elderly, many sitting on the pavement (incl. us) and watching BlueSky footage of BKK. It was even quiet, with some whistles following applause from the crowd on TV. Vendor's sold snacks and icecream. We stayed about 830-1000 PM before leaving. I think alot of replies here on TV are from guys in BKK where it is pretty serious. Last night was clear that the police had no interest or reason for confrontation in Phuket. I made sure not to be in any photos and politely the group I was with understood. I did snap a few of my friends and the crowd. I think anyone what is curious could stroll up for a few minutes and take photos without trouble. Just dont be like that douche daddy in the photo waving the flag with a shit eating goofy grin on his face attracting attention. It was pretty boring though, we have BlueSky on TV at home while the Mrs. does ironing. Still not my fight but I think the danger is quite exaggerated in Phuket, though BKK is another story and I wouldnt be near protest there. Phuket is a yellow stronghold and I think things wont be dangerous for expats here- give it a miss though,super boring.

Agree with what is stated above. You can comment on politics, express opinions and make jokes about it, but getting actively involved in politics such as joining a demonstration is a very big no no.

Never forget even if you are married to a Thai and have 12 half Thai children, speak the language fluently, and have a sucessfull business employing 250 Thais, you will always be considered a foreigner, and thus have no business getting involved in their political squabbles.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 2

The Thais I went with all had whistles, Thai Flag hair clips, stickers, and flags but none wore yellow and I of course didn't wear anything protest related just nice clothes.

Yellow is the colour of the Democratic Party, and the Democratic Party is not officially involved in this protest. So all colours are fine except red (for obvious reasons) and yellow (so the Democrats can officially stay out of it).

• Like 1