"BKK Shutdown" in Phuket

PhuketAmerican

Well after sussing it out I went out to dinner with my girlfriend and 5 of her uni friends, and we walked to the city hall. It isn't even really a protest. The Thais I went with all had whistles, Thai Flag hair clips, stickers, and flags but none wore yellow and I of course didn't wear anything protest related just nice clothes. The atmosphere was polite and calm, a few hundred locals of all ages (even skewed toward 40+ i would say) including the elderly, many sitting on the pavement (incl. us) and watching BlueSky footage of BKK. It was even quiet, with some whistles following applause from the crowd on TV. Vendor's sold snacks and icecream. We stayed about 830-1000 PM before leaving. I think alot of replies here on TV are from guys in BKK where it is pretty serious. Last night was clear that the police had no interest or reason for confrontation in Phuket. I made sure not to be in any photos and politely the group I was with understood. I did snap a few of my friends and the crowd. I think anyone what is curious could stroll up for a few minutes and take photos without trouble. Just dont be like that douche daddy in the photo waving the flag with a shit eating goofy grin on his face attracting attention. It was pretty boring though, we have BlueSky on TV at home while the Mrs. does ironing. Still not my fight but I think the danger is quite exaggerated in Phuket, though BKK is another story and I wouldnt be near protest there. Phuket is a yellow stronghold and I think things wont be dangerous for expats here- give it a miss though,super boring.

" Phuket is a yellow stronghold" Aah! now I see, that is why there is so little corruption there.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it looks likes the famous editor now in media all over the region.

NOPE!

But does look like one of those TVP or whatever they are called

Really? None that I have ever seen.

We really do need a sarcasm button.........

Yeah I was gunna say......

He looks like a chimo to me.

Farang have no business in this.

This really does just give fuel to the xenaphobia some Thais have against foreigners. A businessman with millions invested, married with four Thai kids really dosnt have any business with whats going on?

Yep, that is correct. It is against the law for foreigners to engage in any kind of political protest. You are subject to arrest and subsequent deportation. It is absolutely institutionalized xenophobia. What on earth could it be about Thailand that has wholly vested foreigners putting up with this? [sarcasm button]

I hope that flag pole doesn't conduct electricity- seems to be awfully close to the wires overhead- we all know how dangerous the snarled tangles that makes up the electrical wiring can be. Of course if it is the self- aggrandizing well-known online media editor, comment rescinded.

Edited by EBlair48

Well after sussing it out I went out to dinner with my girlfriend and 5 of her uni friends, and we walked to the city hall. It isn't even really a protest. The Thais I went with all had whistles, Thai Flag hair clips, stickers, and flags but none wore yellow and I of course didn't wear anything protest related just nice clothes. The atmosphere was polite and calm, a few hundred locals of all ages (even skewed toward 40+ i would say) including the elderly, many sitting on the pavement (incl. us) and watching BlueSky footage of BKK. It was even quiet, with some whistles following applause from the crowd on TV. Vendor's sold snacks and icecream. We stayed about 830-1000 PM before leaving. I think alot of replies here on TV are from guys in BKK where it is pretty serious. Last night was clear that the police had no interest or reason for confrontation in Phuket. I made sure not to be in any photos and politely the group I was with understood. I did snap a few of my friends and the crowd. I think anyone what is curious could stroll up for a few minutes and take photos without trouble. Just dont be like that douche daddy in the photo waving the flag with a shit eating goofy grin on his face attracting attention. It was pretty boring though, we have BlueSky on TV at home while the Mrs. does ironing. Still not my fight but I think the danger is quite exaggerated in Phuket, though BKK is another story and I wouldnt be near protest there. Phuket is a yellow stronghold and I think things wont be dangerous for expats here- give it a miss though,super boring.

You claim not to know enough to comment, but yet think the danger is quite exaggerated...... what danger do you think is exaggerated? and by your logic clearly know the 'yellows' are farang friendly....

This is my 3rd such campaign, 1st in Phuket - You are farang & therfore not welcome, dangerous or otherwise. If the brown stuf hits the fan or people decide to vent you will be the first to know about it!

Wait till expats start loosing jobs, already in BKK, then will come the rest - just like last time. Red, yellow, pink whatever will make no difference......

I'd sooner get involved in a nursery school lunch room food fight than care about this BS-just about the same level of mentality.

Only thing I wish for in this conflict is that both sides would get on with eliminating one another so we foreigners can take this beautiful country over.

if immigration comes they will have you deported and blacklisted, please keep going to the meeting and you will be back in janky-land asap!

if immigration comes they will have you deported and blacklisted, please keep going to the meeting and you will be back in janky-land asap!

What is janky-land some slur for america? Why do you encourage that I would "keep going to those meetings" and lose my work permit and get deported? That is a hateful and spiteful completely uncalled for personal attack, what is your problem falkan?

You would be wise not to go to similar 'protests'. Your friends went to what was clearly a protest and you went closely with them. Your face will be on CCTV/security footage. You run a big risk of arrest and deportation.

If your friends want to walk with whistles (a recognised sign of protest against the government), you should not go!

This is not Kansas.... stay away from these protests.

Simon

• Like 1

What is janky-land some slur for america? Why do you encourage that I would "keep going to those meetings" and lose my work permit and get deported? That is a hateful and spiteful completely uncalled for personal attack, what is your problem falkan?

Regardless of what he means, the point he is making is true!

Would you go to celebrate the Liverpool winning the FA cup - probably not because 1. You are American and its not your sport, 2. You have no idea whats going on DO you see where I am going here?????

“Please do not be shy to take a stand with Phuket residents against this government. If you don't, you should be prepared to move out of Phuket when we win,” protest co-ordinator Amnuay Kumban said from the stage.

From: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-Vice-Governor-other-officials-join-anti-government-protesters-Video-Report-23289.html

That's political rhetorics and things are heating up, but it's still the kind of talk I would be happy never have to read here or anywhere else. Everybody can have their own opinions, but to tell others what they have to think is quite different game.

Regardless of what he means, the point he is making is true!

Would you go to celebrate the Liverpool winning the FA cup - probably not because 1. You are American and its not your sport, 2. You have no idea whats going on DO you see where I am going here?????

But if your girlfriend and her friends were all Liverpool supporters, then you'd quite possibly go along with them to the celebration. So I guess your point is that he was right to go along with his girlfriend.

• Like 1

“Please do not be shy to take a stand with Phuket residents against this government. If you don't, you should be prepared to move out of Phuket when we win,” protest co-ordinator Amnuay Kumban said from the stage.

From: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-Vice-Governor-other-officials-join-anti-government-protesters-Video-Report-23289.html

That's political rhetorics and things are heating up, but it's still the kind of talk I would be happy never have to read here or anywhere else. Everybody can have their own opinions, but to tell others what they have to think is quite different game.

Rather reminiscent of BushCo's telling the world ca 2001 ," You're either with or against us."

Really shows the level of mentality these " protestors" have. ( I prefer the term mob ) That's extremely threatening and is the kind of rhetoric showing how desparate the are becoming. I'm sure they will resort to violence, and soon as so far they are achieving zilcho. I'm actually becoming more impressed with Yingluck over her cool head in this entire matter.

Rather reminiscent of BushCo's telling the world ca 2001 ," You're either with or against us."

Really shows the level of mentality these " protestors" have. ( I prefer the term mob ) That's extremely threatening and is the kind of rhetoric showing how desparate the are becoming. I'm sure they will resort to violence, and soon as so far they are achieving zilcho. I'm actually becoming more impressed with Yingluck over her cool head in this entire matter.

Yingluck keeping a cool head?

Yeh right..

post-169941-0-02776200-1389962141_thumb.

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

I just hope that neither faction deems it necessary to shutdown the airports, that would kill tourism and especially affect my work here in the sailing tourism industry not to mention all Thais and farangs with vested business interests. I wasnt here yet when this occurred previously but it would be negative for everyone, Ive been stuck in Athern airport for 2 days from strikes.

Thanks for the advice from the reasonable people on here, some people are just rude here though. I wouldnt attend again but to support my girlfriend and have a look I thought was fine. I hope some stupid <deleted> tingtong farangs in BKK (or anywhere) dont go out and get caught up in any trouble. Like one poster said about the early 1990s, if I see troops out I am in my house just minding my business. Not my fight.

• 3 weeks later...

He better watch out. They want to deport some Indian from BKK. Check out Thailand News threads. I love this kind of democracy. NOT.

Very correct - I think it was said that any Foreigners caught protesting will be deported - I think this guy should start packing his bag. Silly move and then to be caught on Camera - even more stupid

• Like 1

Now that his picture is public, expect to see him arrested and deported.

"While in our local immigration office yesterday we were advised in a very friendly way that we should be very careful of protests, and be sure not to participate as that is now illegal."

I don't think so. There is a big difference of expats participating the protests and tourist goofing around. The event here was more of an carnival, which of course attracts people to come to see what is happening.

I guess these guys can try to use that excuse after they get arrested after their photo is splashed all over the net. Immigration police do not care if you are goofing around or not.

another quality expat?

I hope the farangs that post photo's of other farangs at protests understand that they are greatly increasing the likelihood of the farang protester getting arrested and deported. It has been made clear both in warnings and actual arrests and deportations that it is illegal for a foreigner to participate in a political protest. If it is the posters intention to draw attention to the foreigners with the hope they get arrested and deported, well then that's different. If you are teh sort that likes causing misery to complete strangers, then it's understandable I guess. Also. posting farang protesters pics here would seem to me to be close to violating forum rules 6, 15 and 19. D!ck move either way IMO.

Another example today. He is being deported because pictures of him protesting were found on FB. (EDIT: This is the chap mentioned above.)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701965-thai-indian-business-tycoon-to-be-deported-for-protesting/?utm_source=newsletter-20140204-1426&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Edited by NomadJoe

I believe a certain tourist site not allowed to be mentioned here has this picture on his home page. Although he shouldnt be protesting you might think that the fellow foreigner who claims to know everything might have the brains not to publish that picture.

• Like 1

I believe a certain tourist site not allowed to be mentioned here has this picture on his home page. Although he shouldnt be protesting you might think that the fellow foreigner who claims to know everything might have the brains not to publish that picture.

The same guy[ed] is really pushing for the overthrow of this government and is quite outspoken about it ,and his replies to posters who dare to quiz him about it all are getting more and more obnoxious..

maybe he really thinks that Thais in high places don't hear about his "indiscretions"...no..the guy is proving that he is far from knowledgable about anything much at all...

He sure is all about drawing attention to his blogsite...not in the logical manner tho'..surely his upcoming case V's Thai Navy would be enough to make him think more rationally...

PS or is this a ploy to get himself thrown out and hence escape the Navy case? w00t.gif

who knows what his ploy is but i wonder has he struck a deal with someone in the opposition regarding his upcoming defamation case it would certainly explain to a degree his anti government stance and his pro Suthep views.

• Like 1

^^

Not to diminish Sugar Papa's collossal ego and propensity for pulpit bullying, but the TGF is the main obnoxious force on the site regarding the current politial situation. If the article is written by her, she's answering reader comments. You can tell by how ineffectual and downright silly many of her retorts are. It's clear she has no idea how to write proper zinger, or what a functioning democracy actually looks like..

I keep asking, and wish everyone else would too; " What are the reforms? Who are the the reformists? How will the reforms magically end corruption ?"

I really want to know.

• Like 1

Furthermore who decides on these reforms? who decideds on the so called peoples council?

I did ask, but he has yet again blackballed me

I did too - got the comment that no road map was needed - i guess blind faith will do - but after reading the comments again i concur with EBLAIR - I think its not him replying to them but her. The language used and the manner in which she refers to Western Countries etc. Anyway regardless of who it is, they are talking complete rubbish. Imagine somehow in their small brain they think that dont need a plan for reform - no blue print - no plan whatsoever.....amazing