Cant eat chili, not a fan of rice, anyone else?

lmfao

Now I understand Thai food is popular and some people can hake the spicy/hot, But I for one cant eat chili, it doesn't agree with me and under doctors orders after getting really ill, he told me that it was the chilies that were making me sick, Also I'm not a fan of Thai food in general or rice and would rather a good hearty sandwich instead

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok where McDonalds is the only western food here lol and 7-11, so my diet has gone downhill, Anyone else in the same boat? and what was your solution? Also I don't have a kitchen at the minute so its difficult to cook my own food...

Edited by lmfao

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chillies can't make you ill. this is just quasi thai doctor talk.

"you work too hard"

"you head get wet in rain"

"you no brush you teeth"

"you worry too much"

"farang no can in thai sun hot very hot"

"thai food spicy and salt no can you blood farang"

That maybe true, but really after I stopped eating chilies my health returned.

Edited by lmfao

You have two options:

1. Choose a dish that is not made with chilli such as Fried Rice (Khaw Phad) with Chicken (Khaw Phad Kai), pork (Khaw Phad Moo), prawns (Khaw Phad Kung) or Noodle dishes (Khew tiou) with Chicken, Pork,

Prawn.

2. You can explain that you don't like spicy

Click the highlighted links and then the speaker icon, you can learn how to pronounce in Thai.

Sorry not very comprehensive suggestions, but will keep you away from 7-11 and McDonalds for a few days

I'm afraid 'not spicy' isn't good enough here it's too ambiguous for many.

It has to be Mai Prik!!....No Chilli!!......and if possible stand there and make sure they don't feel you should have just one teensy weensy one otherwise it will be mai aroy.

• Like 2

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok where McDonalds is the only western food here lol and 7-11, so my diet has gone downhill, Anyone else in the same boat? and what was your solution? Also I don't have a kitchen at the minute so its difficult to cook my own food...

I am not a particular fan of Thai food generally, a couple of dishes are ok, but will not go out of my way to eat Thai food.

My solution go shopping for myself, Villa/ Foodlands/Tops etc once a week and cook for myself (Mrs S not the best western cook anyway) when I am at home, its not hard. I have a freezer full of "western" food. And before everyone start bleating on about how much money "farang" food costs....I will typically spend about THB 2k a week, of course this doesnt include the cost of the bolley and beluga...rolleyes.gif

Of course now you are going to get the Thaier than Thai one here saying unless you eat exclusively Thai food you will never be at one with your Thainess...rolleyes.gif

laugh.png Like the Thai's in UK, who prefer a cow pat over a good spotted dick. unsure.png

How can anyone put something called 'spotted dick' in their mouth? Spotted or not, nobody's putting one in my mouth.

But seriously, you should upgrade your accommodation to include some type of cooking area. Making big batches of stuff like beef bolognese or braised pork is quite easy. Then put single portions of the stuff in small food bags to freeze for easy microwave heating later.

Good advice on the freezing aspect.

They can always google translate spotted dick into something more palatable to them.wink.png

You have two options:

1. Choose a dish that is not made with chilli such as Fried Rice (Khaw Phad) with Chicken (Khaw Phad Kai), pork (Khaw Phad Moo), prawns (Khaw Phad Kung) or Noodle dishes (Khew tiou) with Chicken, Pork,

Prawn.

2. You can explain that you don't like spicy

Click the highlighted links and then the speaker icon, you can learn how to pronounce in Thai.

Sorry not very comprehensive suggestions, but will keep you away from 7-11 and McDonalds for a few days

Haha thanks, But I went to a local eatery this morning and I had a khaw phad kai, and didn't enjoy it one bit as I said I don't like rice, I am trying lol that is the reason why I posted this after I ate breakfast, I was just looking at the rice and thinking I would kill for an English breakfast haha, But the soup that came with the dish was very good, I only ate half the rice dish and I struggled with that....

I am not a particular fan of Thai food generally, a couple of dishes are ok, but will not go out of my way to eat Thai food.

My solution go shopping for myself, Villa/ Foodlands/Tops etc once a week and cook for myself (Mrs S not the best western cook anyway) when I am at home, its not hard. I have a freezer full of "western" food. And before everyone start bleating on about how much money "farang" food costs....I will typically spend about THB 2k a week, of course this doesnt include the cost of the bolley and beluga...rolleyes.gif

Of course now you are going to get the Thaier than Thai one here saying unless you eat exclusively Thai food you will never be at one with your Thainess...rolleyes.gif

laugh.png Like the Thai's in UK, who prefer a cow pat over a good spotted dick. unsure.png

however would suspect there are quite a few Thai's working in the UK who enjoy a good old British spotted dick...whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

however would suspect there are quite a few Thai's working in the UK who enjoy a good old British spotted dick...whistling.gif

That's a new one for me, Never heard of a spotted dick sounds horrible lol whoever named that dish, really your not helping either lol I feel like puking again bah.gif

• Like 1

That's a new one for me, Never heard of a spotted dick sounds horrible lol whoever named that dish, really your not helping either lol I feel like puking again bah.gif

great with thick oozing custard all over it

• Like 1

You need to get out more. There are plenty of foods in Thailand that are not spicy and you can always eat them without rice. Noodle soup, Grilled chicken, fish, pork? Why would you live somewhere that you cannot stand the local food? Cute girls will make it tolerable for a while, but probably not forever.

I do eat noodle soup sometimes but I am not a big fan, there is only so much barbecue pork sticks you can eat till you get feed up with them. There is a lot more reasons to stay in Thailand than Thai food, don't you think? I don't know anyone who moved here for the food, But point taken the Food is one problem, I face living herefacepalm.gif

Edited by lmfao

great with thick oozing custard all over it

Ambrosia for the gods.

• Like 1

Sorry if this sounds harsh mate but surely you as a grown man can work out what to eat?

Just read you no have kitchen at the moment. Well takeaway will be a staple more than likely. Buy a microwave perhaps, or a toaster or a grill Go to an electrical store and see what they have.

That's my suggestion and what I would try.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

A couple of little cheats:

Moo grop (crispy pork) goes great with apple sauce

Gai yang - delicious, unspicy "roast" chicken, makes a nice sandwich

Kor moo yang - pork neck is not spicy and simply delicious in it's own right

Don't need a full kitchen but if you have any space at all one of those little round ovens, about 1000 THB from any supermarket, are great for roasting anything

Healthier and taste way better than McDonalds or 7-11 ham cheese sandwiches.

Sound Good, cheers mate, I will give them a try, haven't tried any of them before, might have a look for a small oven, Good Idea wai2.gif

Sorry if this sounds harsh mate but surely you as a grown man can work out what to eat?

Just read you no have kitchen at the moment. Well takeaway will be a staple more than likely. Buy a microwave perhaps, or a toaster or a grill Go to an electrical store and see what they have.

That's my suggestion and what I would try.

I have no problem working out what to eat in my home country, or most places I have lived in around the world, but first time in Asia and they prepare all the foods so different that I am used to. and usually I have a full kitchen, I think it would be easier if I lived in the center of Bangkok, more choices, not a lot here.. no big c etc.

Edited by lmfao