Can I bring my car on a OA long stay visa?

dude123

Anyone know if I can bring my car over from Canada if I have an OA long stay visa?

I have a 2013 KIA Sorento V6 AWD.

There seems to be some confusion there as I was advised today that the 6 month rule to

bring personal belongings does not apply for the OA visa, but if one reads "step-3"

of this website --> http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php it states I can have up to

6 months to bring personal belongings over tax free.

Edited by dude123

Personal effects does not include motor vehicles - these would be subject to normal import duties plus excise, interior and value-added taxes - in your particular case, around 380% of the customs assessed value of the car.

The steering wheel would be on the wrong side anyway :)

• Like 1

call me foolish, but 380% sounds quite high lol. Guess I'll just come with the shirt on my back and start a new life there.

And you might never get it out of Customs anyway!!!!!! You wouldn't be the first either. Many horror stories.

call me foolish, but 380% sounds quite high lol. Guess I'll just come with the shirt on my back and start a new life there.

And you might never get it out of Customs anyway!!!!!! You wouldn't be the first either. Many horror stories.

Hope I'm making the right decision to retire there biggrin.png My Wife of 10 years is Thai so I think I'll be

in good hands hopefully unsure.png

relax Dude! these fancy import duties apply only to cars. wear trousers please. smile.png

I heard it's hot in Thailand so no promises smile.png

Edited by dude123

relax Dude! these fancy import duties apply only to cars. wear trousers please. smile.png

Shirts and trousers are only 40% plus 10% VAT

Shoes are 60% plus 10%vat

THey do not tax what you bring with you. Consider bringing all your shoes with you as large feet are had to get. Extra socks for the same reason and underclothes as large sizes are hard to get. It could be worth paying for excess baggage for these.

You need to have a work permit to bring household effects in (and this does not include vehicles) and they will not give you a work permit on an O-A Visa.

Seriously forget the car and most other things. You can get everything you need here.

Edited by harrry

THey do not tax what you bring with you. Consider bringing all your shoes with you as large feet are had to get. Extra socks for the same reason and underclothes as large sizes are hard to get. It could be worth paying for excess baggage for these.

You need to have a work permit to bring household effects in (and this does not include vehicles) and they will not give you a work permit on an O-A Visa.

Seriously forget the car and most other things. You can get everything you need here.

Good advice on the underclothes and shoes thanks. I do have a ton of blu-ray movies that I hate to give up though as well as two motorbikes, 2 cars and a lot of quality tools so it's going to be a bummer in some ways to give it all up.

Good advice on the underclothes and shoes thanks. I do have a ton of blu-ray movies that I hate to give up though as well as two motorbikes, 2 cars and a lot of quality tools so it's going to be a bummer in some ways to give it all up.

Bring the movies with you and the hand tools they are worth the extra baggage charges. What you bring with you will be OK. You will not need those arctic wooly underwear here, just the summer stuff :)

Edited by harrry

As you have a Thai wife the circumstances can be different. If she returns home, she is bake to bring her belongs back. This might include cars and motorcycles. Not sure about the regulations but if you want I can get you in touch with a local logistic company who provide this service on a regular basis. Just pm me if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The class of imported goods is deciding what will happen.

Say, the base is 25%, 40%, 60% or even higher.

That is only the start!, because percentage decides how much and how many percentages will be added.

Import duty, inland duties, inland tax, fees and at the end VAT.

Quite possible 40% of the value will end ay 125-150% or in the case of cars with engines above 3000 cc 280%

Computer related stuff on the other hand, has a base of 0%.

Only a quite low fee might be added, depending on the total value and VAT @ 7% over the value plus insurance plus freight.

Have a look in the Thailand Custom website.

It is in English.

Hope I'm making the right decision to retire there biggrin.png My Wife of 10 years is Thai so I think I'll be

in good hands hopefully unsure.png

Yes ... SHE will bring the things back as 'A RETURNING RESIDENT'. Ensure that you attach a list of what is in each box(poetic license within reason) someone may open the box/s to look ... best to have her write the list in Thai.

We did this and insured the contents for 2KGBP. Cant remember how much we had to pay to get it out of customs ... wasn't all that much in the region of 3-5000 Baht I think. Customs were a pain in the arse to deal with though... my wife did all the arranging...we eventually got a quote but when they delivered the boxes the invoice was formore ... bast__ds.

In hind site we should have insured for less.. chances of the ship going down is pretty small. We used an agent in the UK. They supplied the boxes, collected them and shipped.

We brought my garage tools, glassware, cloths, shoes, etc about 20 cardboard boxes the size of Tea Chests. As said FORGET about bringing the car.

Bring the movies with you and the hand tools they are worth the extra baggage charges. What you bring with you will be OK. You will not need those arctic wooly underwear here, just the summer stuff smile.png

Ha, just jogging pants under my jeans is how I tackle Winter in Canada smile.png

And for everyone else who replied, thanks for all your tips and website info as I appreciate it very much.

I like the idea of my Wife as returning resident and see how that goes, thanks.

Don't give your stuff away put in storage or at family house you could be back in Canada quicker than you think.

You did not say you had a thai wife as that changes things a lot. If she has been out of the country for 2 years she is allowed to bring "her" houshold goods free but there are some restrictions, Free only applies to one of each item so if there are two tvs one is free the other is not (although the duty on tvs is low there is VAT and the valuation is at the discression of customs. Motor vehicles are an exception. They are not allowed in as houshold goods though there are some provisions. Be careful that everything is in her name though except for vehicles this is not a problem. Good luck. Remember Canada clothes will be no good here and electrical goods are 240 volt. As far as the crs go this is a very definite NO. Motorcyles too though you may get them in by paying tax and duty you will almost certainly not be allowed to register them here. Definitely not worth the trouble.

Edited by harrry

You bought a Kia!

attachicon.gifCropperCapture1.jpg

biggrin.png Would have never thought I'd buy a KIA, but believe it or not, the 2013 V6 Sorento with the auto trans is so smooth and flawless in it's operation that it puts all our 3 hondas to shame. I don't know how they pulled it off, but you can bet, just like every other manufacturer, that they will try and improve on it and start to go downhill again. This is one of those times where it is so perfect that it should be left alone. On that note, supposedly their 4 cyl is a huge dissapointment.

Edited by dude123

You did not say you had a thai wife as that changes things a lot. If she has been out of the country for 2 years she is allowed to bring "her" houshold goods free but there are some restrictions, Free only applies to one of each item so if there are two tvs one is free the other is not (although the duty on tvs is low there is VAT and the valuation is at the discression of customs. Motor vehicles are an exception. They are not allowed in as houshold goods though there are some provisions. Be careful that everything is in her name though except for vehicles this is not a problem. Good luck. Remember Canada clothes will be no good here and electrical goods are 240 volt. As far as the crs go this is a very definite NO. Motorcyles too though you may get them in by paying tax and duty you will almost certainly not be allowed to register them here. Definitely not worth the trouble.

Thanks for the help. She's been away 10 years so that is all good then. Hate to give up my motorcycles and may just put them in storage for now. I'll never get the money back I put into them and I've also considered going back to Australia if I don't like Thailand, but Australia has become so ridicuously expensive that it's hard to retire in peace there anymore.

Don't give your stuff away put in storage or at family house you could be back in Canada quicker than you think.

biggrin.png It's crossed my mind several times. Can you elaborate a little more?

It's crossed your mind that's good some day you might look back and say why didn't I do that. Just some advise from what I have seen over the year's and yes I'm Australian.