Best tasting thai fish?

MrHammer

daer Buddies,

you can enjoy many Thai and imported fish here, but please avoid the pangasius fish. This fish is every where in TH deep-freezes in extreme cheap price.

But this fish is come from combined farms (TH and Vietnam), these are pig & pangasius farms. Above the pig below the pangasius. So this fish eats exactly pig fecal and every other garbage which are thrown to the water by farmers.

Then comes the high valued CP company and serves for you this special fish. In makro there are full deep-freezes with this garbage in nice packaging.

Be careful mate.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the pangasius fish. Above the pig below the pangasius. So this fish eats exactly pig fecal and every other garbage which are thrown to the water by farmers.

this is only if you are very lucky. if you are not lucky, well i'm not going to tell yousad.pngbah.gif

talking about this one here:

post-196665-0-74744400-1389766462_thumb.

Edited by Big Pinkie

what fish is Sushi? I have eaten sushi of many different kinds of fish.

Roast mackerel is really nice, locally called Saba,

as stated above, grouper, snapper, sea bass, sea perch, flounder are easily found here. cook as you would any fish, but my favorites are either in soups, roasted in the oven with dill/lemon or grilled with salt on the scales and stuffed with herbs.

fresh water: tilapia red or black, tab tim, nin; neutral flavor firm flesh comparable to bass. grilled stuffed with herbs and spices, made into fish curries, ho mok pla, I often smoke these with longan wood and it gives the skin a dark cherry red color.

Snake head-chon, catfish-deuk These are sweeter and softer flesh best either deep fried or grilled.

PROPER SUSHI IS MADE FROM BLUE FIN TUNA

If I am reading your comments correctly I should not eat Chiang Mai fish in restaurants or food stands but only frozen fish I would buy in the grocery stores?

I don't know about frozen fish, but I did see a VERY interesting story on TV about a really top notch sushi chef from Japan who once owned one of the very good restaurants in NY, and then had returned to Japan.

One of his 'secrets' was the best preparation of really good sushi was to freeze it first....WOW !!!

what fish is Sushi? I have eaten sushi of many different kinds of fish.

Roast mackerel is really nice, locally called Saba,

as stated above, grouper, snapper, sea bass, sea perch, flounder are easily found here. cook as you would any fish, but my favorites are either in soups, roasted in the oven with dill/lemon or grilled with salt on the scales and stuffed with herbs.

fresh water: tilapia red or black, tab tim, nin; neutral flavor firm flesh comparable to bass. grilled stuffed with herbs and spices, made into fish curries, ho mok pla, I often smoke these with longan wood and it gives the skin a dark cherry red color.

Snake head-chon, catfish-deuk These are sweeter and softer flesh best either deep fried or grilled.

PROPER SUSHI IS MADE FROM BLUE FIN TUNA

OKAY WE HEAR YOU! biggrin.png

My favourite fish soup is - Dom pla! I have no idea what type of fish is used in this dish though...

Most people who live in Isaan have most likely tried it once or twice. Simple to cook & very healthy smile.png

I wonder if this is anything like the French Bouillabaisse ??

This along with some good French bread is a great dish....no need for heavy spices...like a good American pot-roast dinner

Pla nin (is that tilapia?) is nice barbequed I think they rub the skin with salt, the bones are pretty big though.

It is a nice sweet fish here from the mekhong,howvere locally Talapia is farmed and usually larger and more expensive than Praa Nin

I also like Taptim/Tubtim

Hoi are in fact muscles so not strictly fish.

In the stick there are often prawn and fish farms which sell fresh but ofetn a simple BBQ where you can catch (net hardly strenous your own ) or allow them to catch your dinner.If in Thoeng there is avery good lake approx 2km SE of centre off main rd to Chiang Kham turn at the huge sign of a PRAWN and follow the lane for about 1.2km its amongst the farms on the right hand side knowm by all locals.Follow the Gung !

I have also had delicious sea food in all areas Songkhla a port city,crans at Hua Hin and a river fish unamed at Mae Sariang,as other said the snake head is good don't be put off by appearance.

For novices seafood is often sold by kg or market price and is seldom cheap compared to meat.

There are few seafood courts in bangkok soi 24 and near Phay Thai which Bangkok readers can give exact directions,a fun evening for a group where you can buy a variety and have them brought from various chefs to your table ina food court setting.

For top dollaar high class Chinese eateries always have fish inc abalone and shark if your scruples allow even more exotic species are sold on/off menu.

Bon appetit

Proper Sushi

Sushi Bar Yasuda Tokyo (Minami-Aoyama), Japan

http://www.doyoueveneat.com/sushi-bar-yasuda-minami-aoyama-tokyo/

and another website with photos of lots of good sushi varieties

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2010/02/omakase_at_sush.html

Here is a portion of that presentation where they talk about the 'freshness' of sushi, but the video cuts off before they mention the freezing. I was totally surprised !

On the next Parts Unknown, Anthony Bourdain spends time in Tokyo with a sushi chef who believes the best sushi is "aged"

http://edition.cnn.com/video/shows/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown/season-2/tokyo/index.html (click on finding the perfect sushi)

Here is the text message about freezing.

He was certainly the first acclaimed sushi chef I know of who not only admitted, but proudly boasted of freezing some of his fish, (much of the fish you eat in sushi bars is, in fact, at one point, frozen), giving the dates or "vintage" of each fish he'd blast frozen in a medical freezer to "cure" it in a desirable way. Many varieties of fish, Yasuda taught me, are in fact, improved by freezing.

Edited by boatguy

I like the crispy, spicy covered Thai fish with a cold beer.

Here are some pics posted here:
http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yachtforums-yacht-club/18059-farm-raised-caught-wild.html

Question about posting images? When I attempted to post an image I get a pop-up window asking for a URL address. does that mean the photo has to be posted somewhere on the internet with a URL address? You can't simply attach a jpeg image??

post-31799-0-70282600-1389775529_thumb.j

Edited by boatguy
  • Like 1

is it this http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/18491/khao-thom-pla-thai-breakfast-soup ?

<throws hands in air near head waves them about > exasperatedly exclaims, "i give up".

Spot on! You know Thai dishes well ^^,

actually i dont know that dish and have never had it. cant even recall seeing it but i am not an isaan regular.

pork rice porridge (johk) yeah often had it. http://www.enjoythaifood.com/thaibreakfast.php

Edited by Big Pinkie

My favourite fish soup is - Dom pla! I have no idea what type of fish is used in this dish though...

Most people who live in Isaan have most likely tried it once or twice. Simple to cook & very healthy smile.png

I wonder if this is anything like the French Bouillabaisse ??

This along with some good French bread is a great dish....no need for heavy spices...like a good American pot-roast dinner

I have no idea what 'French Bouillabaisse' is but it sounds delicious !

To be honest, my knowledge of different variety of foods around the world is VERY limited..

I live in deep Isaan so my diet consists of rice with majority of most meals :(

actually i dont know that dish and have never had it. cant even recall seeing it but i am not an isaan regular.

pork rice porridge yeah often had it.

Be sure to order 'Thom pla' next time you're in town. It's a very simple soup. You can alternate the flavours urself and add spices if you want. I prefer to add a teaspoon of chilli flakes & pinch of sugar for best result - IMO

Edited by kirstymelb101

pork rice porridge yeah often had it.

Be sure to order 'Thom pla' next time you're in town. It's a very simple soup. You can alternate the flavours urself and add spices if you want. I prefer to add a teaspoon of chilli flakes & pinch of sugar for best result - IMO

i'd be adding prik nam plaa but i am very very fussy about fish so trying random unknown fish is not likely for me.

Well my wife she like it too...ehh me eating hoi...sorry couldn't resist..

shellfish !!!

I love eating hoi, i get pretty messy with it.

I also like eating hoi and also get messy with it, another favorite is when the little lady gives me some of that Thai Pink Snapper Oh Yeah.

Edited by ThaiTerry

"I love eating hoi, i get pretty messy with it."

I do hope that you realize how innapropriate that is.

Signs, please. It was obvious that a slippery lobster was not talking about seafood. Hee knows.

Never say that in front of thai people.

Be specific when saying Hoi lai-small thin clams, hoi mangpu green muscles,

Don't ever just say hoi. if you don't know it is slang for a part of the female anatomy.

I said it once while teaching and my students nearly died laughing.

Well my wife she like it too...ehh me eating hoi...sorry couldn't resist..

shellfish !!!

I love eating hoi, i get pretty messy with it.

I also like eating hoi and also get messy with it, another favorite is when the little lady gives me some of that Thai Pink Snapper Oh Yeah.

My favorite restaurant..i get a big plate full o this..

clam.jpg