Malaysia ramps up effort to draw in Thai tourists fed up with politics at home

webfact

Malaysia ramps up effort to draw in Thai tourists fed up with politics at home

BANGKOK, 15 January 2014 (NNT) – Malaysia and Singapore have been trying to ramp up the number of tourists from Thailand, taking advantage of the political turmoil in the Thai capital to draw in Thais fed-up with domestic issues, says the Thai Travel Agents Association (TTAA).

According to Sutthiphong, Phuenphiphop, president of the TTAA, Malaysia and Singapore have been heavily promoting their countries' tourism and making efforts to persuade international visitors to switch their travel destinations from Thailand to Malaysian and Singapore instead.

As for Thai tourists, Mr. Sutthiphong said the 'Visit Malaysia' campaign has clearly been adjusted to target Thai tourists this year, with Malaysia's tourism promotion agency increasing its budget by 50% for Thai travel firms conducting public relations campaigns for tourists to visit Malaysia. Sales promotion schemes such as upgraded hotel rooms have also been also implemented in an effort to draw in at least 1.5 million Thai visitors to Malaysia this year, up from the 1.2 million in 2013.

Malaysia has clearly been trying to penetrate the Thai market through tour companies, said Sutthiphong, adding that he believed that by mid-year, Malaysia would come up with campaigns focusing on the group of tourists who travel on their own without purchasing tour packages.

In the meantime, Singapore has placed more emphasis on the Meetings, incentives, conferencing, exhibitions (MICE) market than regular tourists.

The TTAA president noted, however, that the prolonged rallies have quelled Thai people's mood for foreign travel and the number of outbound Thai tourists during the Chinese New Year's period, expected to drop by 20%, will be analyzed by his association and then used as a basis for further evaluation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-15 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

I doubt it will make much of a difference, but every little kick up the a$$ for Thailand to sort out longstanding tourist related scams and safety issues etc. can't be a bad thing. The TAT need to realise that if their product isn't right, people will take their business elsewhere.

I read on a UK news site Yesterday the demand for Vietnamese Dong through currency exchanges in the UK (Thomas Cook / HSBC etc) doubled in 2013.

Wonder if that is a reflection on Brit tourists moving away from the lovely land of ........... (could so many different words here wink.png )

Malaysia is very nice. Much more organized, but also a bit more expensive than Thailand. Malaysia seems to have a grwing professional middle class, too. I like the way they follow traffic rules.

yes, but saying you like the way Malaysians follow traffic rules is an indication you have been in Thailand for MANY, MANY YEARS....decades even

• Like 2

Malaysia is very nice. Much more organized, but also a bit more expensive than Thailand. Malaysia seems to have a grwing professional middle class, too. I like the way they follow traffic rules.

Thai tourists will be confused seeing people obey traffic rules but they will feel right at home in another aspect as in a recent survey done in Malaysia on corruption 64% of the companies polled stated that paying bribes was a must to get business done.

I was in Singapore for months recently. It is much like your description of Malaysia.

If LOS goes TITS up, Singapore may become my go to place, along with Vietnam.

I doubt it will make much of a difference, but every little kick up the a$$ for Thailand to sort out longstanding tourist related scams and safety issues etc. can't be a bad thing. The TAT need to realise that if their product isn't right, people will take their business elsewhere.

Agree, will not make much difference. I would say a good 50% of people if not more come here for whats not on offer elsewhere...I wonder what that might be thumbsup.gif?

• Like 1

Malaysia/Singapore the hub of good times. I don,t think so ,having been there many times, I,m always glad to come back to Thailand.

You said it how it is. Malaysia and Singapore have not got the girls and cheap living that's what we all here for...Don't let anyone tell you there here for the weather and food etc rubbish

• Like 2

Has Malaysia got as many gorgeous bar girls as Thailand?rolleyes.gif

Just a naïve questionblink.png

the girls in singapore and malaysia, not to mention china, are far better looking than thai girls...most of whom are dogs as far as i can tell...the difference is whether they are for sale or not...to answer your question, thailand has more bar girls than the other countries put together...but 99% of the are certainly not gorgeous...

Has Malaysia got as many gorgeous bar girls as Thailand?rolleyes.gif width=20 alt=rolleyes.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2070704717>

Just a naïve question20x20xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_. width=20 alt=blink.png pagespeed_url_hash=3007605675>

the girls in singapore and malaysia, not to mention china, are far better looking than thai girls...most of whom are dogs as far as i can tell...the difference is whether they are for sale or not...to answer your question, thailand has more bar girls than the other countries put together...but 99% of the are certainly not gorgeous...

Let's see a picture of YOU, hamsum man!

• Like 1

Has Malaysia got as many gorgeous bar girls as Thailand?rolleyes.gif

Just a naïve questionblink.png

You should get off your bar stool in Patts sometime and take a look around the country.

And if in your relationships you factor in personality, loyalty and being pleasant to be around as part of the equasion the Thai ladies are ahead of the above mentioned competition.

• Like 1

I read on a UK news site Yesterday the demand for Vietnamese Dong through currency exchanges in the UK (Thomas Cook / HSBC etc) doubled in 2013.

Wonder if that is a reflection on Brit tourists moving away from the lovely land of ........... (could so many different words here wink.png )

You can seldom have enough dong.I

I wonder if racist Malaysia is welcoming Rohingya or Isrelis?

Whatevr the flaws of LOS it seems to allow allsorts,its arms and legs are open to the tired and weary in need of massage and restoration.

That big bottle of Tiger beer that costs 60 Bt in Thailand will set you back $6 S in Singapore.

Ouch

Go shopping for beers in Malaysia or Singapore in the supermarket and there is a raft of choice and quality.

But you're right, bars in Singapore are pricey, not so much Malaysia. Drink at home, no worries.

That big bottle of Tiger beer that costs 60 Bt in Thailand will set you back $6 S in Singapore.

Ouch

Go shopping for beers in Malaysia or Singapore in the supermarket and there is a raft of choice and quality.

But you're right, bars in Singapore are pricey, not so much Malaysia. Drink at home, no worries.

Or a nice cuppa sweet cha after the moque,caen your wives,make sure theInian servants are in their place and enterprising Chinese are discriminated against by law.

Bumiputra up the shooter,

P.S if too fatigued by the sultry exertions of rongang the waheed will cane idoloters or girls who choose to become Christians freely rather than be raped in arranged marriage to old men.

Victims of the Apostasy law in Islam | EuropeNews
europenews.dk/en/node/50703‎
21 Dec 2011 - Victims of the Apostasy law in Islam... Malaysia, Lina Joy is in hiding because she converted to Christianity

Malaysia/Singapore the hub of good times. I don,t think so ,having been there many times, I,m always glad to come back to Thailand.

You said it how it is. Malaysia and Singapore have not got the girls and cheap living that's what we all here for...Don't let anyone tell you there here for the weather and food etc rubbish

Hate to burst your bubble but many of us are not here for those things, cheaper living costs help but the climate is an absolute must, as is tax freedom! It also helps that I live in an area that supplies garden produce to many parts of the Western world, most of the food I eat is is truly fresh rather than being transshipped, warehoused, trucked, frozen, trucked, thawed and so on. So, trade those things for girls, naw, not a chance.

• Like 2

Have been to malaysia many times. Cant think of a single time anybody was rude, aggressive, hostile, contemptuous and can think only once or twice when i was slightly over charged in a tourist area.

Thailand stands out within the region for its frequently unpleasant behaviour and attitude. I visit thailand despite the people, as i still like the feel of the country in general a d i have many foreign friends. I dont know how thais became the ugly culture of asia but they need to do something about it because the world a getting rapidly sick of their shit.

Agree with every word.

But even after several weeks long visits to KL, I still find it boring there.

Thailand has to become just a bit more openly rude, violent, dangerous to walk at night, and show little bit more open contempt towards foreigners, and I spend my 6 months of winter some place else.

But it wont be Malaysia. Most likely Spain, weather in the winter is not nice at all, but no snow so its doable, and it is very affordable.

Canary Islands would be good choice weathet wise, but it as boring as it gets.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I can't remember when I was last time with an Asian, I don't like Asians that way at all.

Many people are not here for that at all, but because the lack of snow, and it is very cheap place to stay for several months out of the year. I have few friends foreigners, all 30s 40s, only one guy I know is here mainly cos of easy lay.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app