Children

donnyhaus

I have been an absentee husband because of the work I was performing in a war torn country. I didn't get to know the family that I married into or the culture of the country I am now living in. I am no longer working, so I am now living in Thailand with my wife and her family. I am living with my wife and her step father and her 3 son's. The middle son is 15yrs old and he has been promised to a 14yr old girl, I immediately had a problem with this. I was unaware that this tradition was practiced in Thailand. So now I feel the responsibility of helping to pay for whenever this wedding is supposed to take place, even though no one ever informed me of this tradition. There are some things going on here that go against my moral judgement, but I feel guilty when I talk to my wife about them. For instance the girl who has been promised to my wife's son comes and goes from our house when ever she wants to, this includes bringing friends, she pretty much ignores the fact that I am here. Today she came with 2 other girls her age and went into the bed room of her son who wasn't even here. Excuse me, folks don't knock on the front door and ask if so and so is home? What I need to know is if this is common practice in Thailand? Should I feel guilty about laying some ground rules when it comes to our house? Keep in mind that my money built the house and paid for everything in it as well as pay all the bills (cable, ele., internet, water, etc.).

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you whole heartedly, I've only been living here a little more than a month now. I am trying not to come across as the person who wants to change everything. That's why I feel guilty when I do bring something up. I have been to many other countries and know that it would be a mistake to compare cultures, I'm here to stay and I am going to make the best of it and enjoy myself. Thanks for your input.

• Like 2

U have a situation in hand regarding cultural differences, arranged marriage, and simply politeness, coming in unannounced and treating the house like its theirs.

Talk it over with ur wife....see what happens...give it some time....if nothing changes step your foot down and show you are the boss.

Good luck....you will need it...

• Like 2

Understandable grievances but I would say take a little more time to get your head around the situation first - blundering in at this stage will get the predictable Thai response of saying "yes yes yes" and agreeing with what you say then completely ignoring it. This will lead to more frustration and a you-against-them scenario. Talk to your wife first - tell her that you don't think it's acceptable to have teenagers in and out of each others' bedrooms, and that your house is for you and your family. Not a youth club.

It is a very Thai way to be in and out of each others' houses at all hours, but it's your house too.

Also make clear right now that you have no intention of paying for an arranged marriage. This may be practiced by some rural families but like a few other customs it's definitely not the norm and it's not something you should be expected to bank roll. It's also a weather vane - put your foot down about this and make very clear there will be no money from you for it, and I think you will get a good indication of where you stand.

I wouldn't get too worried about the wai-ing or not. I assume you're somewhere pretty rural (?) and it's most likely that these kids simply haven't got a clue how to act around someone not from their village and background.

This is the first time ever that I hear about arranged marriage in Thailand (been here for 20 years). Guess it must be something they do in Isan small villages? Never been there but I live in the central countryside in Thailand and as far as I know around here it is not how they do it.

I would send the son away to a boarding school or university in BKK or Chiengmai so he can see the real world around him and then it will probably change by itself somehow?

You say these kids come in and pretty much ignore you?

I can understand them 'avoiding' you a little, if you don't speak Thai, they will not want to be embarrassed trying to talk English.

But, I would expect them to give you a 'Wai' at least as a 'hello' and a little respect for an elder.

There seems to be a sense of you being 'taken for granted' here, likely enforced by your absentee husband past.

You made the bed to lie in, and you do right to tread easily, but don't be a mouse!

Talk to your wife and tell her you do not feel comfortable .......

And why is the 'step father' there if the mother is not?

Edited by jacko45k

I have no comments about the arranged marriage. As for walking into your house unannounced I've suffered the same experience. I thought this was the norm but have since learned that the norm is to call out from outside the house and wait to be invited in. Frequently they are not invited in and the conversation takes place outside the home. I've also seen signs on farang homes instruction Thais to not just walk in unannounced. I've also made it clear that I am polite and greet people and expect the same. This has mostly worked for me. You are most definitely a stranger in a strange land but you can ask for what you want.

This is the first time ever that I hear about arranged marriage in Thailand (been here for 20 years). Guess it must be something they do in Isan small villages? Never been there but I live in the central countryside in Thailand and as far as I know around here it is not how they do it.

I would send the son away to a boarding school or university in BKK or Chiengmai so he can see the real world around him and then it will probably change by itself somehow?

I'm guessing you don't speak enough Thai to understand their conversations.

And nobody bothers to talk to you about much in English.

Loads of guys living like that.

Or you don't appear to have enough money to get any offers.

I have paid for my partner's house in his mother's compound and his family use the house when we are not there. I also have an issue with privacy (walking in unannounced etc) but accept it as far as I can, unless kids run around and make a noise. That is how things are in most villages around the world and you should try to accept it - you may have paid for the house but you did it in their village with villagers around doing their own thing. They don't have the same need for privacy and their custom is to be far more casual about visitors. For example, when they have a party (not held for/by or paid by me - almost no-one brings any food or drink, just saunter in and then leave without even a hello or goodbye or thank you and by some even an acknowledgement of my presence. That is accepted as norm and has nothing to do with my presence or bad manners. On the other hand, my partner quietly sets the limits with them and knows what my needs are - so I don't have many issues, despite being a general whinger!

As most here say, stand your ground and talk to establish a set of house rules. If your wife/GF really loves you and wants to be with you, she will support you, if not, maybe time to take the losses and move on.

I had a similar situation in Udon years ago and made it very clear, that I am not paying for anything, when the youngest daughter was married away (oh, well I was not invited) or when the whole family suddenly needed a new house.

My BF was not strong enough to support my basic rules and needs, towards the family and it ended the relationship.

The only thing that stood out for me in your first post was that you only come back from "work" and now live in Thailand for a month. Suddenly there is an arranged marriage for which they expect you to pay for incl. the "brides purchase".

Don't know your history, but the above sounds to me, as a first step in "milking the cow". I hope I am wrong.

• Like 2

Agreed with a previous poster you sound a bit like a doormat.

Kids that enter your house should at least be polite and greet you, your wife should support that and tell them.

You should adapt to some elements of culture but when you consider it against your moral code that a 14 year old is sold by the family to a 15 year old you are damn right! That they call it culture is no moral justification, you don't have to go along with all the bullshit.

Good luck in creating your own (emotional) space in the house you paid for ;-) Your wife should be supportive in this, if she's not you have a problem. I pay for a house for my wife's family, but I would never ever live there myself.

Bear in mind that not so long ago people spent their days underneath their houses on stilts (many still do ariund here). No point on knocking on a door that isn't there. The two grandchildren of my wife used to walk by without a greeting until I started standing in their way, they had to go the long way. As it turns out they were very shy. My actions backfired on me as they now take pleasure in creeping up behind me and sawasdeeing the hell out of me.

Shyness gone anyway and I now have most of the neighbours shouting a greeting across a garden or two.

But it's generally not done to greet people here, bit of a shock for me after Switzerland.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

are you on drugs? or just a troll....

divorce, go back to your own country or something

you married someone you just met and left for another country.... and now nobody knows or respect you ?

• Like 1

I have been an absentee husband because of the work I was performing in a war torn country. I didn't get to know the family that I married into or the culture of the country I am now living in. I am no longer working, so I am now living in Thailand with my wife and her family. I am living with my wife and her step father and her 3 son's. The middle son is 15yrs old and he has been promised to a 14yr old girl, I immediately had a problem with this. I was unaware that this tradition was practiced in Thailand. So now I feel the responsibility of helping to pay for whenever this wedding is supposed to take place, even though no one ever informed me of this tradition. There are some things going on here that go against my moral judgement, but I feel guilty when I talk to my wife about them. For instance the girl who has been promised to my wife's son comes and goes from our house when ever she wants to, this includes bringing friends, she pretty much ignores the fact that I am here. Today she came with 2 other girls her age and went into the bed room of her son who wasn't even here. Excuse me, folks don't knock on the front door and ask if so and so is home? What I need to know is if this is common practice in Thailand? Should I feel guilty about laying some ground rules when it comes to our house? Keep in mind that my money built the house and paid for everything in it as well as pay all the bills (cable, ele., internet, water, etc.).

indeed you should sit down with the family and speak your mind what is ok with you and what is not. Together try to find common ground what you all are comfortable with. Yes we live in Thailand and this is the culture in some rural areas but not for entire Thailand and in some provinces this behavior is frowned upon i would also ask the boy and the girl if this is what they want?

But bring up the subject sooner rather than later or it will eat you up. A friend of mine was in a similar situation and didnt speak out and 2years down the line they are divorced he went back to Norway and she got the house and other assets in thailand he did however sell both cars and the motorbike and kept the money as they were in his name.

In my mother in laws village the people just walk in the house but they all wai me the first time if i am there except the mother in law. For her it is hugs instead both when i arrive and when i leave. The same for my kids and the mother in law.

If they do not want someone walking in the house they lock the door.