PM to chair first reform forum meeting

Lite Beer

PM to chair first reform forum meeting

election-forum-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will chair the first meeting of the government-sponsored reform forum to be held Thursday afternoon at the Royal Thai Air Force headquarters.

Prime Minister’s Office Permanent Secretary Tongthong Chandrangsu said Wednesday that the prime minister wanted to hear divergent opinions about reform from all sectors of the society. The government, he added, is open to all opinions.

The National Economic and Social Development Board has been assigned to host the forum and to select individuals and organizations to join the forum.

Tongthong said that the forum would not start from zero as the proposals for reform have been made before by several stakeholders, including the People’s Democratic Reform Committee.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-chair-first-reform-forum-meeting/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=pm-chair-first-reform-forum-meeting

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-15

Nice opportunity for a phto-op and then the others can take care of the business

BTW I'm sure the 'proposals for reform' from the PDRC will be handled in the right spirit with PDRC not there to participate in Ms. Yinglucks photo-op.

• Like 1

Tongthong said that the forum would not start from zero as the proposals for reform have been made before by several stakeholders, including the People’s Democratic Reform Committee.

Lopsided and controlled by Thaksin and will be about as acceptable as the elections.

To even hint at the PDRC proposing anything that goes on inside that room is an absolute delirium.

Just another site for targeting by the student network if you ask me.

This government seem to be just going along completely devoid of all acknowledgement about what is happening on the streets.

In reality though, I will wager they are more nervous than they make out. Deep inside i bet they are feeling fears never before felt by a Thai government since Japan signed the declaration of surrender back in August 1945.

Edited by poisonus
  • Like 2

The National Economic and Social Development Board has been assigned to host the forum and to select individuals and organizations to join the forum.

Hear we go they will 'select' again.

Just as they 'selected' the ones to attend the meeting on the EC proposals.

Just as they 'selected' those who should attend the flood protection meetings.

Why not, progress has to start somewhere, keep it going I say.

If you think bringing Thaksin back is classed as progress, then that's your opinion.

But let us not be naive. They have exhausted just about every other route to get him back, and being in total control of 'reforms' will be their last ditch effort. Which is why nobody else will accept this form of reforms so long as a single Thaksinite is in charge.

• Like 1

If you think bringing Thaksin back is classed as progress, then that's your opinion.

But let us not be naive. They have exhausted just about every other route to get him back, and being in total control of 'reforms' will be their last ditch effort. Which is why nobody else will accept this form of reforms so long as a single Thaksinite is in charge.

Your interpretation of what I said is the last thing I have in mind, although it remains an option.

Your interpretation of what I said is the last thing I have in mind, although it remains an option.

Sorry... Didn't want you to think I was discrediting your opinion or alluding that you were naive at all.

Was just trying to portray these government led reforms in a cynical light. Because I just can't help viewing everything that comes from these with anything other than a high degree of cynicism.

I doubt I am alone in that either.

Anyone else, I would hold out hope and feel optimistic, but this lot?..... I can't.

• Like 2

Sorry... Didn't want you to think I was discrediting your opinion or alluding that you were naive at all.

Was just trying to portray these government led reforms in a cynical light. Because I just can't help viewing everything that comes from these with anything other than a high degree of cynicism.

Anyone else, I would hold out hope and feel optimistic, but this lot?..... I can't.

We hear a lot to reform from the DEM's PDRC and the DEM. What are they talking about anyway? It is easy to have reform slogan nowadays. In the streets, up on protest stage, the social media etc they have been shouting for reform, but went around criticizing the reform initiatives of the government. The DEM cannot even reform their own party and continue to live in a 'victim mentality world', how can they talk about national reforms? Reforms will need lawmakers proposing, debating, scrutinizing and voting to amend the constitution and the input of a government, yet they boycotted the election which they demanded month before the house dissolved. BTW, the DEM contributed nothing to bring reconciliation and unity to Thailand so that the country can move forward? Now that the amnesty bill is gone, will we see the criminal cases involving PAD leaders who are on bails proceed without further postponement? Will the redshirt people who are still in prisons without trial be allowed bail?

Edited by icommunity

We hear a lot to reforms from the DEM's PDRC and the DEM. What are they talking about anyway? It is easy to have reform slogan nowadays. In the streets, up on protest stage, the social media etc they have been shouting for reform, but went around criticizing the reform initiatives of the government. The DEM cannot even reform their own party, how can they talk about nation reforms? Reforms will need lawmakers proposing, debating, scrutinizing and voting to amend the constitution and the input of a government, yet they boycotted the election which they demanded month before the house dissolved. BTW, the DEM has contributed nothing to bring reconciliation and unity to Thailand so that the country can move forward? Now that the amnesty bill is gone, will we see the criminal cases involving PAD leaders who are on bails proceed without further postponement? Will the redshirt people who are still in prisons without trial be allowed bail?

Yes, slogans are easy, saying let's talk is also easy.

Reforms need people, not just a government and certainly not a corrupt government controlled by a criminal fugitive.

BTW Pheu Thai has done nothing to bring reconciliation to Thailand, they've only been busy to fleece the country and try to get Thaksin in shiny polished armour (and his new passport in his hand).

Will we see UDD leaders finally coming before court without parliamentary immunity?

BTW how many 'red shirts' are still lingering in jail? How many millions did the government spent on bailing them out? how many are still in Thailand on their own name as registered?

• Like 1

She just doesn't get it. This charade pretending she's still in control. She's part of the protagonists, she should not be chairing anything to do with reform. Reform begins with equal recognition. It will be another worthless hot-air fest, boycotted by those who count. Stop trying to pull a fast one! How many times do we have to say it.

• Like 1

Good to see the government being so reasonable at last but why did it take them until we had the unseemly sight of two fading political desperados scrapping for the control of Thailand whilst the rest of the world watches on in bemusement.

• Like 1

So this is a forum hosted by the govt that need reforming? This reminds me of the reconciliation forum chaired by the govt that did everything to disrupt reconciliation. Then to rub salt in the wounds they ignored every bit of advice Blair gave in that forum.

Actions speak louder than words. The gullible will say this is a wonderful idea though because to them words speak louder than actions.

• Like 1

Nice PR move, but a it's a divorce court with only one spouse attending. Suthep ain't budgin' and demamds his first thorazine treatment, and which he richly deserves. The other side is suddenly realizing the bottle of free wine is empty...

It's a Puppet Show, on both sides, but not with the recognition of Punchy and Judy...

cheesy.gif

Nice PR move, but a it's a divorce court with only one spouse attending. Suthep ain't budgin' and demamds his first thorazine treatment, and which he richly deserves. The other side is suddenly realizing the bottle of free wine is empty...

It's a Puppet Show, on both sides, but not with the recognition of Punchy and Judy...

cheesy.gif

She just doesn't get it. This charade pretending she's still in control. She's part of the protagonists, she should not be chairing anything to do with reform. Reform begins with equal recognition. It will be another worthless hot-air fest, boycotted by those who count. Stop trying to pull a fast one! How many times do we have to say it.

Ermm, well, as caretaker PM she is in control.

Sorry to have to tell you this but she is not pretending.

She is looking good, rational, listens to people, invites in even her enemies to discuss... but what do we get from the other side by way of proposals?

Reforms of:

Aerothai - by invading it and causing chaos in the sky

Siam Square and Asoke - by making them smell like open urinals.

CAT - by closing down international telecmomunications

Television - invading and making them broadcast propaganda

Government offices - same as PAD in 2005 - Invade, destroy,

Law and order - by sending out armed thug student gangs. I can't belive some have not seen the leaders... they even look like thugs.

Business - by frighening off investors.... Notable report on private jet traffic in and out of Bangkok... was reduced to zero!!! That's even less than one (for the Bluesky gang.)

Last but no mean least. Democracy. Reform by taking over the country with the help of violent student gangs, the Army and Courts, appointing dictator and ruling as they wish.

So. All in all, Yinkluck is looking very good in the eyes of the worlds leaders and media.. and after today, again in the Thai Media. Suthep is really going to go into meltdown after this.

Yingluck is not trying to appease foreign posters on here or any other forum. She knows her audience, and she's charming them!!! as ever :)

I can relate to the Thai approach "open to all options."

At the moment I am in the middle of "helping" a Thai Buddhist temple community build their new temple. In 3 years,we have meetings over and over and each time the Thai president insists that we are open to all views and want to hear more idea. So every meeting there's new people with more opinions on how to build a temple. The approach is to get free help. I suggested that to see progress you have to hire real architect or engineer which is required by the building dept. They are timid at this I don't know why...

Ermm, well, as caretaker PM she is in control.

Sorry to have to tell you this but she is not pretending.

Cause she's in contol - her brother has told her to stay in the job and what to do. Keep in control sis and follow instructions carefully thumbsup.gif

Must be great to be a billionaire businesswoman who can become a successful PM and DM without any prior knowledge or experience. That's the benefit of a hand picked team of experts around you, when you're such a great leader. And time for all that travel and photo ops and tears.......... and smirks too.

You can tell she's in charge from the skilled parliamentary debates and all those very clever interviews with such shrewd answers to searching questions.

• Like 1

Undremocratic! Undemocratic I say!!! Who is this NESDB and who gives it the right to select individuals to arbitrate the reformation of the country - they weren't elected...let the people decide... Oh wait - the PM endorsed them and by default, having garnered the "majority's" vote, has the right to speak for us all. I await the usual response from the "you know who's"

Edited by SABloke
  • Like 1