Myanmar to introduce permanent residence system for foreigners

SeaVisionBurma

shwedagon_smiling_sqrd.jpg

YANGON, Jan, 15 (Xinhua) -- Myanmar will introduce permanent residence (PR) system this year for foreigners, parliament sources quoted Minister of Immigration U Khin Yi as saying Wednesday.

Khin Yi made the disclosure at the ongoing parliament session in Nay Pyi Taw when making discussions on the tasks to be carried out in the fiscal year 2014-15.

Khin Yi also said the government will promote the system of granting online visa.

Since Myanmar introduced visa-on-arrival system on June 1, 2012, travelers from 51 countries have benefited from the system.

Signing of memorandums of understanding is being planned for granting visa exemption to visitors from 16 countries including 10 ASEAN member nations in 2014-15, he further revealed.

Read the full article here: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2014-01/15/c_133047781.htm

Since Myanmar introduced visa-on-arrival system on June 1, 2012, travelers from 51 countries have benefited from the system.

I know a lot of people who would disagree with that statement!

There still is currently no viable 'Visa On Arrival' system - rather a protracted pre-approved visa.

The sooner they get that working properly the better.

As for the permanent residency news - lets wait and see what happens!

That is an information sheet about how the system is supposed to work for Business and Transit Visas, but in reality this is not a Visa On Arrival, as I said in my previous post.

You have to have the visa pre-arranged and pre-approved before you travel, to collect when you arrive in Yangon.

And it doesn't exist for tourists. Your average tourist to Myanmar still cannot show up to an airport in Thailand (or elsewhere) and board a plane for Myanmar without either a visa in their passport already, or without a lot of pre-arranged paperwork.

If you wanted to show the actual government website for applying for a Visa On Arrival - it is here: https://www.myanmarevisa.gov.mm/LoginPage.aspx

And it has never been in operation since it was put up.

Do they even have a working internet for everyone? Last time I read, Internet was extremely slow (edge speeds), expensive and fast Internet can be found only in big Internet cafe's with owners that have high political connections.

However, I hope every country around Thailand do something to attract farang population so it may play Thailand's hand to do something to get what they lose back.

• Like 2

I live in bkk. What are the steps/procedure to visit Myanmar ?

Obtain a visa from the embassy on Sathorn Road:

Suggest that if you are going to apply for a visa, that you don't follow the link you provided - aside from being 12 years out of date it refers to applications in Beijing, China.

Also the Myanmar Embassy for foreigners in Bangkok is on Thanon Pan, not Sathorn Road.

Plenty of info on how to apply for a visa in our Myanmar Visa forum - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/168-myanmar-visas/

You can also find downloadable application forms (for applications made in Bangkok) as well.

• Like 1

Do they even have a working internet for everyone? Last time I read, Internet was extremely slow (edge speeds), expensive and fast Inter

net can be found only in big Internet cafe's with owners that have high political connections.

However, I hope every country around Thailand do something to attract farang population so it may play Thailand's hand to do something to get what they lose back.

Varies all over the country. We have had snail and rabbit speeds and not only on Government favoured places. For sure it has gotten better even over the past year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently there is a business visa on arrival. If you get a letter of invitation from a registered business in Myanmar then you can just show up at Yangon airport and get a 70 day single entry business visa on arrival (for a fee of course) with no pre-arrangement, if you are from one of the 50 off approved countries . Tourists either need to get a tourist visa from one of the Myanmar Embassies or use a travel firm that can arrange for you to pick up the visa on arrival.

The Myanmar Government has been discussing having a visa on arrival system (or visa waiver system) for tourists almost from the first day it came to power. However they still have not implemented it. Therefore I think the chances of them starting any sort of permanent residence visa in the near term is very unlikely.

Currently there is a business visa on arrival. If you get a letter of invitation from a registered business in Myanmar then you can just show up at Yangon airport and get a 70 day single entry business visa on arrival (for a fee of course) with no pre-arrangement, if you are from one of the 50 off approved countries . Tourists either need to get a tourist visa from one of the Myanmar Embassies or use a travel firm that can arrange for you to pick up the visa on arrival.

The Myanmar Government has been discussing having a visa on arrival system (or visa waiver system) for tourists almost from the first day it came to power. However they still have not implemented it. Therefore I think the chances of them starting any sort of permanent residence visa in the near term is very unlikely.

i really hope it gets better last time i had crazy experience