Thais don't eat enough fruit and vegetables daily

webfact

Thais don't eat enough fruit and vegetables daily
By Digital Content

13899227106910.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 17 - Inadequate daily intakes of fruit and vegetables among some 75 per cent of Thai nationals could increase their risk of getting chronic diseases.

Mahidol University Nutrition Institute director Dr Visith Chavasit said at a conference on Thursday that a majority of Thais eat a diet that contains less fruit and vegetables than the minimum level recommended by the World Health Organisation (WHO) at 400 grams a day.

Studies found 76.2 per cent of Thai nationals above age 15 consumed greens in lesser amounts than the official serving size of about one-third of the total food portion, while 71.8 per cent consume fruit less than half WHO’s recommendation.

The imbalanced consumption of vegetables and fruit in Thailand has resulted in more Thai people getting chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart and cardiac-related diseases, cancer and many others.

A number of studies have found that daily intake of at least 400 grams of fruit and vegetables a day could help reduce risk of heart disease by 33 per cent and cancer by 50 per cent when compared with those who consumed less than the recommended amount.

Despite the ongoing campaign to promote more consumption of vegetables and fruit, Thai people tend to eat less greens due to behavioral change. People are more likely opting for fast food, resulting in an imbalanced intake of fruit and vegetables every day. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-17

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised - Thais eat a lot of fruit and veg as cheaper than meat. No link to the actual study so unable to comment further.

That is a good comment.. as we don't have the actual study to comment on. My experience is that it really depends on what they eat some streetfood has only a little bit of vegetables and mostly rice or noodles in it. Then again if they go to some kind of isarn food there are veggies on the table and are eaten with it all.

I know i love going to the Vietnamese here with my Thai friends.. loads of veggies. But I am not sure what is more prevalent the cheap almost veggie less street-food or the other foods.

Maybe the Dr. should also do a study on cancer thats related to all the pesticides that are used in agriculture here .

What I think is more shocking is the Thai people with overweight especially young kids , some can barely walk anymore , what future they have ?

Who says the two are not connected.

I juice / eat loads of veggies but i wash them well.. the chemicals here are dangerous that is for sure.

"The imbalanced consumption of vegetables and fruit in Thailand has resulted in more Thai people getting chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart and cardiac-related diseases, cancer and many others."

I would like to see how eating more mostly sweet fruits contribute to less diabetes. As well why should help fruit much for heart and cardiac related issues.

Maybe the Dr. should also do a study on cancer thats related to all the pesticides that are used in agriculture here .

What I think is more shocking is the Thai people with overweight especially young kids , some can barely walk anymore , what future they have ?

I juice / eat loads of veggies but i wash them well.. the chemicals here are dangerous that is for sure.

Some pesticides (example onion) are systemic (spelling??) so in the plant, washing doesn't help.

Some pesticides (example onion) are systemic (spelling??) so in the plant, washing doesn't help.

That is bad news indeed.. it wont keep me from my veggies.. but bad news. There is not much checking of vegetables on pesticides here.

If the politicions would stop accepting bribes from Monsanto. To sell there poison. Maybe more people would eat fruits and vegetables? But the Thai Buddhist, mantra. Is greed!

Laughable what you are trying to do here and totally untrue.

Now I am not going to get into the discussion about Monsanto, but to assume that the majority of Thais are even have heard of them and base not eating vegetables on it is absurd.

Absolute rubbish, that's all most Thais do eat, plus rice and fish and a bit of meat.

fyi: I just told the other half the headline .... a big SURE came out ... rice and meat, they don't like to eat veggies.

BTW: We both Vegetarians, It happened to us recently twice in well frequented (bigger) Restaurants in Prachin ... that they not even had 'pak pak ruam mit'. w00t.gif

Edited by KhunJack

To robblok , it won't stop me from eating frute and veggies , but check " furadan" carbofuran on Wiki. Sadly still sold over the counter in Thailand.

the size of a sugargrain kills a bird , a quarter teaspoon can kill a human.

Thais seem to eat a fair amount of fruit, but not much vegetables. Because there is some green stuff with the meat and sauce that goes on a large plate of rice, it doesn't mean it is nutritionally sufficient.

Many years ago, when I first came to Thailand, the country was still fairly poor. There was a lot more vegetables in the dishes than there is now. As the country got richer the amount of fats and oils used and the amount of meat has been increased and the vegetables have decreased. Much of what is used is to give it color or a particular flavor.

• Like 1

With Thai friends, we usually have some "geng" (curry) and separate fish or meat dishes.

Salads (yam) in restaurant are usually full of spicy stuff and things like squid, and no green stuff.

Vegatables dishes are rare ..., and usually the vegs are fried in oil.

My 10 cents: vegetables are "juud", that is, tasteless, compared to most Thai dishes.

Som tam is an exception, though ...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by blokker

I agree with jaltsc.

The report doesn't identify the "population" covered by the survey. I wouldn't be surprised at the results if based on Bangkok city workers, but that wouldn't be extrapolatable to rural Thailand.

Up here, in Phetchabun, a daily staple diet is "papaya pok-pok", which is based on shredded unripe papaya, cherry tomatoes, long beans, chillies etc and a dash(?) of "ba-la" (fermented fish). They also eat plenty of guava, ripe papaya, jujubes, sweet tamarind, oranges, longan, melon, marrow, cucumber durian, jackfruit, taro, dragon fruit etc and loads of greens.

Our nearest true "fast-food" outlet, other than local BBQ'd chicken stalls, is in Phetchabun city, 50kms away - which doesn't boast a big M! Totally different from the environment in Bangkok etc.

The main problem here, I believe, is the vast amounts of sugar consumed, whether added to all kinds of foods and soft drinks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app