Myanmar to introduce permanent residence system for foreigners

Myanmar to introduce permanent residence system for foreigners

YANGON, Jan, 15 (Xinhua) -- Myanmar will introduce permanent residence (PR) system this year for foreigners, parliament sources quoted Minister of Immigration U Khin Yi as saying Wednesday.

Khin Yi made the disclosure at the ongoing parliament session in Nay Pyi Taw when making discussions on the tasks to be carried out in the fiscal year 2014-15.

Khin Yi also said the government will promote the system of granting online visa.

Since Myanmar introduced visa-on-arrival system on June 1, 2012, travelers from 51 countries have benefited from the system.

Signing of memorandums of understanding is being planned for granting visa exemption to visitors from 16 countries including 10 ASEAN member nations in 2014-15, he further revealed.

The 9th regular sessions of the two Houses of Myanmar's parliament -- House of Representatives (Lower) and House of Nationalities (Upper), began respectively in Nay Pyi Taw Monday with the Lower House discussing state budget bill for the 2014-15 fiscal year and other important laws.

Presentations are also being made on national planning bill ( 2014-15), a number of taxation bills, media law in dispute and special economic zone bill to the union parliament comprising both Houses.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2014-01/15/c_133047781.htm

--English.News.China 2014-01-17

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware Thailand... while you are tightening your laws on immigration, Myanmar will be hot on your heals ready to mop up many farangs that you piss off.

Must be tempting for those who are pissed off with visa runs or trying to find 400,000 baht every year.

The article only says there will be a permanent residence system for foreigners. It does not say what the conditions for obtaining residency will be.

Might be the same as with Thailand.

Beware Thailand... while you are tightening your laws on immigration, Myanmar will be hot on your heals ready to mop up many farangs that you piss off.

Must be tempting for those who are pissed off with visa runs or trying to find 400,000 baht every year.

The article only says there will be a permanent residence system for foreigners. It does not say what the conditions for obtaining residency will be.

What odds you reckon they make it the same or harder?

Could that be possible?

• Like 1

What odds you reckon they make it the same or harder?

Could that be possible?

Online visa system sounds intelligent, so maybe they are thinking it through and going to make the process simpler than Thailand. It would seem hard to make it more complicated.

• Like 2

Residency is not as important as 'reasons to reside'.

So... any good bars there?

There are a lot of Burmese who have worked in many industries within Thailand, including bars.

I am sure once tourists flock there there will be, do not be surprised to find many Thai ladies (daughters of unpaid rice farmers) flocking across the boarder to work too.

The incentive for foreigners to invest in Myanmar has been planned for a long time, just as the increase in living in Thailand for foreigners has likewise increased. Yingluck's strategy has always been to attract "high-end" investors, and Myanmar is next in line, wait about 20 years or even less before they follow the same path of restricting visas and attracting investment along the coast until it's going to be like one highway running from Phuket up to the tip of Myanmar with resort after resort and hotels, just like the California coast.

Maybe this is why they are now given 30 days at the Burma - Thai boarder in Kanchanaburi and have been told you can go top up your visa each month and for as many time's as you like.

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me that a country such as Thailand, which is so heavily dependent on tourism, makes it so difficult to obtain anything but a straightforward 30 day tourist visa ! My guess is that Myanmar will look at the Thai process, and make theirs more attractive. They have, for example, already actively embarked on a hotel building scheme, which they say will cater for demand by the end of 2016.

• Like 1

I doubt that very much, after all Burma was part of our commonwealth, I hope the UK will be one of those exempt from visas. Good for you Myanmar !

I think most of you might be quite shocked at the cost of living in YGN as an expat.

It's very expensive.

....shhhh....let the moaners go over there and find out themselves...

Then I'd have to listen to them complaining about it at my local. I'd sooner warn them off first!

Seriously though, it's cheaper for me to commute regularly from BKK, rather than living there. I'm quite happy it's that way too!

I doubt that very much, after all Burma was part of our commonwealth, I hope the UK will be one of those exempt from visas. Good for you Myanmar !

I hope USA citizens will be exempt from visas. Time to develop Myanmar.

Edited by philliphn

I would not hold my breath for this to be implemented. Visa Waiver for some countries has been on the cards for over 2 years with no progress not even for the ASEAN countries for which they have signed a commitment to it.

There are still a lot of negative attitudes in the government to change before they will start to issue residency. Plus really if they did offer it now I do not think that many foreigners who had got used to life in Thailand would be that interested in downgrading to Myanmar. Mobiles very expensive, internet total rubbish, house incredibly expensive in Yangon, no health care, limited nightlife options.