Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstration Violence in Bangkok

Tywais

dos_image.jpg

US Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

Emergency Message

Friday, January 17, 2014

This is to advise and update U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Thailand that there have been multiple reports of violent clashes the afternoon of Friday January 17 at several protests sites in Bangkok. One incident occurred near the National Stadium and MBK shopping mall at Pathumwan Intersection downtown. Another attack occurred near the Government Center on Changwattana Road in the northern area of the city. Casualties have been reported, although details are unconfirmed. Additional crimes involving weapons and explosives related to the ongoing political situation have occurred at protests sites in recent days.

Protest marches continue throughout the city and mass rallies at major intersections. They include: Asoke, Pathumwan, Lumpini, Victory Monument, Ratchaprason, Lat Prao, Silom, and Changwattana. Avoid protest locations. Be alert and aware of your surroundings.

Even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational, and can escalate into violence without warning. You should exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news and media reports for additional information and details.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand enroll in the

Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at www.Travel.State.Gov. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Regularly monitor the State Department's website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution. Read the Country Specific Information for Thailand. For additional information, refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad” on the State Department’s website.

Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and download our free Smart Traveler iPhone App to have travel information at your fingertips.

The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html) is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing [email protected]. The Embassy’s after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai (http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service.html) is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

The US should be out front supporting democracy and the sitting democratically elected government in Thailand like they do in every other country.

Maybe they don't regard a government that lies, cheats and acts illegally as being democratic.

Notice not one single country has come out and specifically supported the government or individuals in it by name.

White collar crime is now taken very seriously in the US.

• Like 1

Going there next week. Hope things ease a bit.

Thailand is a big place ..just stay out of Bangkok. Also CAPO have stated blah blah blah. But not many governments have actually come out publicly to support Phua Thai .. they support the Democratic process. Bit different.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I don't mind messages like this. It is their job to tell its citizens if they believe they are in danger. Some people are not glued to TV or the news and may not be up to speed with everything going on here.

For people who are bothered by such messages, don't read them. Problem solved.

• Like 1

Agree with some other posters that there is nothing wrong with this announcement: in fact most governments accept a responsibility for issuing travel advisories to their citizens and this is not an inaccurate statement of the facts.

The issues of the USA trying to establish military bases in the country; secure an interest in the country's natural resources; support a self exiled criminal in return for promises that person cannot keep and to try and make a gain when its influence in the region is waning, especially come the AEC, are all different issues.

This is like you damn if you do and you damn if you don’t. Personally, I feel that there is nothing wrong with the advisory. It is best to make their citizens be aware of the current situation and travel with caution for safety purposes. For family vacation, this is a big deal. If anyone thinks this is nonsense, he/she can simply ignore the messages. To know something is better than knowing nothing at all even though the facts may be skewed.

The US should be out front supporting democracy and the sitting democratically elected government in Thailand like they do in every other country.

Maybe they don't regard a government that lies, cheats and acts illegally as being democratic.

Notice not one single country has come out and specifically supported the government or individuals in it by name.

White collar crime is now taken very seriously in the US.

Well nearly all have come out and supported the democratic process and acknowledge the current caretaker government as previously the peoples choice and elected governing party what more would you expect an embassy to say ? they rarely name people or get specific.

They certainly do regard the government as being democratic as they do this election as being the appropriate answer to the current protests, it is the protesters that are being scathed all over the world for their attempt to install an unelected peoples council.

If it were to happen there would not be any welcome from the democratic global community thats for certain.

no they haven't which is exactly why it is a big snub - show me a quote from any embassy were they have mentioned the word "Government" or any member of it - they have mentioned "Law" and "Peaceful" but have specifically excluded anything that would be offering support for either side

This message is very very loud and clear for me

get your facts right

• Like 1

I am more concerned with the fact that some Thai Banks will no longer open an account with an American passport. Same goes for Switzerland. No account with an American passport.

Another "governmental" cover-your-arse memo in case Somsak gives an American a bad look and the Latter wants to sue his government.
My embassy just informed my fellow country people (to stay politically correct) with a phone number, a website and the general advice to avoid crowded areas.
So no, it is not Hollywood-material in the making, Madame Ambassador!

To keep abreast of the facts I'd suggest watching the BBC and other foreign press accounts. They make clear that the situation is probably not dangerous for foreigners so long as they stay out of the demos. Their reporters also keep in touch with the outside-Bangkok areas, which are so important for understanding what is happening in Thai politics.

Edited by tilac2
  • Like 1

Agree with some other posters that there is nothing wrong with this announcement: in fact most governments accept a responsibility for issuing travel advisories to their citizens and this is not an inaccurate statement of the facts.

The issues of the USA trying to establish military bases in the country; secure an interest in the country's natural resources; support a self exiled criminal in return for promises that person cannot keep and to try and make a gain when its influence in the region is waning, especially come the AEC, are all different issues.

Well several things I went to their site as mentioned in the article I typed in Thailand and got nothing. Also I got the feeling that all of Bangkok was in danger according to them. Now I am not familiar with Bangkok but it is a huge city and I highly doubt the majority of it is having traffic problems other than the normal ones or giant rallies.

They could have been a little bit more direct in making it clear that the problem was not a city wide one. The areas they mentioned were indeed saturated with anti government protestors and apparently the militant fringe of the pro government forces but it was just a small area. So far the rest of Thailand is OK. No violence out side of Chiang Mai where the red shirts were throwing things at the anti government protestors and even that was not to bad just showing their level of intelligence.

They would also occasionally block roads so traffic could not get through. Have no idea what that was all about. I live here. How ever my wife is anti PTP thus anti red shirt and she is afraid to talk about them. So maybe it is intimidation they are seeking. In my wife's case it is working and I imagine other people are feeling intimidated also.

It seems the U.S. only does that when there is profitable oil involved, or oil related infrastructure.

Lucky Thailand does not have oil or it would have US troups in Bangkok kicking ass.