New Bangkok-based English Medium Higher Education Options Lead to Full Degree Programs in the UK

IVBE

New Bangkok-based English Medium Higher Education Options Lead to Full Degree Programs in the UK and 100 Other Countries

If you are interested in a flexible approach to attaining a degree that includes 2 years of study in Thailand and additional study in the United Kingdom or another country, private message us, or read on for more information...

Higher education in Thailand

Thailand's education system offers a large number of quality English-medium higher education options that meet a wide range of requirements, particularly for those looking to attain a Bachelor's degree. But for expats who are living and working in Thailand, finding the right degree program for themselves and their children can prove a challenge.

Compatibility and costs

Finding a local degree that is recognized by educational institutions and employers in your home country requires a lot of research. One alternative to trying to find the right local degree might be studying at a university in your home country, but the costs associated with taking three years out of work to get a degree or sending your children back home to study for three years could prove substantial, if not prohibitive.

BTEC HNDs offer a flexible approach to higher education

A new program launched by IVBE in Bangkok in August 2013 might offer the flexibility expats and their children need.

IVBE is the only educational organization in Thailand authorized to offer BTEC Higher National Diplomas (or HNDs).

What are BTEC HNDs?

The BTEC HND is a British qualification tied to the United Kingdom's vocational education system. Each year around 1.1 million learners enroll on BTEC programs worldwide. The qualification was shaped using input from British industry and commerce and designed to meet the UK's need for skilled, competent people in the workforce. People in the UK that are motivated to enter the job market often take HNDs instead of full degree programs. Being tied to the UK's vocational education system, the HND is recognized internationally, meaning the qualification helps people move into the job market in a wide range of industries and countries.

Study two years in Thailand and one year in the United Kingdom for a full British Bachelor's degree

The BTEC HND is also tied to the UK's Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF). As such, educational institutions in the UK recognise the BTEC HND as being equivalent to taking the first two years of a full Bachelor's degree in the United Kingdom. This means that once you have completed a BTEC HND you can attend a British university, complete the third year of a degree program, and attain a full British degree.

Recognized internationally - added flexibility

Being tied to the UK's vocational education system and QCF, BTEC HNDs are recognized internationally. Over 250 universities and educational institutions recognize the qualification, meaning that with a BTEC HND you can complete a degree in countries that include:

• The United States
• Australia
• Canada
• New Zealand
• France
• Germany
• Hong Kong, and
• Singapore
Note that as the length of courses differ in different countries, the "2 year + 1 year" approach available for universities in the United Kingdom might not apply. For example, HND holders might move onto the second of a four year program in the United Sates.
Quality courses approved by the United Kingdom's largest examination body
Awarded by Edexcel, the UK's largest and oldest examination body which offers vocational qualifications and testing in the UK and in over 85 countries, BTEC HND qualifications are quality assured. Edexcel regularly audits institutions, vets the CVs of BTEC teachers, and controls the quality of BTEC course content - and that includes BTEC courses in Bangkok.
The validity of Edexcel as an examining body is verified by Ofqual, an independent organization that reports directly to the UK Parliament and the Northern Ireland Assembly. It regulates vocational qualifications both in England and Northern Ireland, and regulates the National Curriculum Assessments in England.
What courses are available in Bangkok?
Current IVBE BTEC HNDs available in Bangkok include:
- Business Management
- Performing Arts
- Music
- Hospitality
- Travel and Tourism
- Art and Design
Costs savings
Taking a BTEC HND in Thailand over two years and moving onto a degree offers a cost saving of around 30% over studying entirely in the United Kingdom.
Where and when?
IVBE is a partner in Regent International College, and joint venture with one of Thailand's most prestigious international schools, The Regent's International School. Located in central Bangkok with the nearest MRT station being Huay Kwang, BTEC HND courses are run on campus in world-class facilities. Unlike other institutions with only 2 course state dates per year, Regent International College course begin January, April, July and October. Students can expect to study 12-15 hours a week.
What if I am a foreign student?
Full visa/immigration support is provided.
What can I get more information?
For more details private message us your name, email address and contact number, and we will get back to you immediately. Alternatively, post your questions and comments below.
Edited by IVBE

As far as I know, you can't study in a university in Thailand with a BTEC degree.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Richard,
Thanks for your comments. There is no such thing as a BTEC degree as such. BTEC offers a Higher National Diploma qualification - usually known as a 'HND' - and once you have achieved this you can go onto the final year of a Bachelor's degree program at a host of universities in the United Kingdom.
So, for example, you can take a two-year BTEC HND in Business Management in Thailand and then move onto the third year of a business-related Bachelor degree program at a British university. Once you complete the final year, you receive that university’s degree. Moving onto a Master’s degree program in Thailand with a British university degree should then be a formality.
The scheme is not exclusive to the United Kingdom though. You can go onto Bachelor degree programs in a number of countries, including the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, France, Germany, Hong Kong, and Singapore, but depending on the country and the course you can’t go directly onto the final year. In the United States, for example, Bachelor programs are four years in length so you might have to move onto the third year rather than the final year.
In hope that clarifies things. Please add any other comments or queries below and PM us if there is anything specific you need to know.
Regards,
John

I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression using the word 'scheme' - would 'program' be better? Whichever word we use, BTEC HNDs are verified by Ofqual, the same organization that regulates vocational qualifications in England and Northern Ireland. It also regulates National Curriculum Assessments in England.

John

Just to add a general supporting comment for the BTEC HND + degree path, although not specifically related to Thailand.

Many (MANY!) years ago, this is the path that I took to obtaining my first degree in the UK, after screwing up my A levels. I studied for a BTEC HND in Electronics and subsequently was able to enter a university degree program in the second year of the 3-year course. (The year that you enter was dependant on the course). I completed my first degree with a First Class Honours and went on to obtain a Master's degree from London University.

I feel this path to obtaining a degree is much better than the usual A levels + 3 year degree, because the BTEC courses are vocational, providing the student with very practical training in the subject area.

I recommend BTEC as an excellent pathway to obtaining a degree qualification.

Simon

• Like 2

I recommend BTEC as an excellent pathway to obtaining a degree qualification.

Simon

Simon

It's great to hear that you had a good experience with BTEC HNDs. Regent College is an approved BTEC center - the first in Thailand. As such, the programs it offers are under the same scrutiny they would be in the United Kingdom.

John

As far as I know, you can't study in a university in Thailand with a BTEC degree.

Richard,
Thanks for your comments. There is no such thing as a BTEC degree as such. BTEC offers a Higher National Diploma qualification - usually known as a 'HND' - and once you have achieved this you can go onto the final year of a Bachelor's degree program at a host of universities in the United Kingdom.
So, for example, you can take a two-year BTEC HND in Business Management in Thailand and then move onto the third year of a business-related Bachelor degree program at a British university. Once you complete the final year, you receive that university’s degree. Moving onto a Master’s degree program in Thailand with a British university degree should then be a formality.
The scheme is not exclusive to the United Kingdom though. You can go onto Bachelor degree programs in a number of countries, including the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, France, Germany, Hong Kong, and Singapore, but depending on the country and the course you can’t go directly onto the final year. In the United States, for example, Bachelor programs are four years in length so you might have to move onto the third year rather than the final year.
In hope that clarifies things. Please add any other comments or queries below and PM us if there is anything specific you need to know.
Regards,
John

Thanks for your reply John. I think I understand now. A BTEC HND is basically the same as a 2 year associates degree in the USA. An associate degree in a community college does the same thing. 2 years are spend studying the lower level subjects and the remaining 2 years is spent studying the higher level courses. Except in the UK, you only have to spend 1 year studying the 3rd year of the university you transfer to. Thank you for clarifying this.

Edited by richard10365
  • Like 1

A BTEC HND is basically the same as a 2 year associates degree in the USA. An associate degree in a community college does the same thing. 2 years are spend studying the lower level subjects and the remaining 2 years is spent studying the higher level courses. Except in the UK, you only have to spend 1 year studying the 3rd year of the university you transfer to. Thank you for clarifying this.

Thanks, for clarifying this for those of us who are American educated (because I am confused by those U.K. terms/organizations).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I always thought the word scheme carried with it a negative connotation

The word is not always, and certainly was not in previous generations, meant to describe something negative. Characters in Jane Austen novels, for example, frequently used the term as modern day Americans might use "plan."

Edited by JenniferSG

In American English the word scheme has a negative connotation, however, in most other countries it is neutral and is used to describe a proposed plan.

But, let's stay on topic.