Two explosions rock Bangkok, Victory Monument and Rajvith Hospital

george

Erawan Emergency centre confirms blast figures at 29 injuries
Pongphon Sarnsamak

BANGKOK: -- At least 28 people were injured from the double grenade attack Sunday near the anti-government protesting site at Victory monument, according to an emergency medical service agency.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s Erawan Emergency Medical Services Centre said no death has been reported so far.

The centre reported as of 4.30 pm on Sunday that about two injured people have been undergone surgery at Rajavithi and Pramongkut hospital due to severe wounds from bomb attract.

Three other injured people were admitted at Rajavithi hospital.

The agency also reported that a reporter of local newspaper Post Today also was injured from the bomb attack.

All injured people were sent to three hospitals in Bangkok. Nine of them were sent to Ramathibodi, 13 were sent to Rajavithi, two were sent to Pramongkut and four were sent to Chulalongkorn hospital.

The agency also reported that a 53-year-old security guard was shot and was severely injured at the Lat Phrao rally site at 11:20 pm Saturday.

He was rushed to the intensive care unit of the Mayo Hospital. He was transferred to the Bhumibhol Hospital at 3:45 am.

The centre said the man is a security guard of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee.

The agency also reported that a 53-year-old security guard was shot and was severely injured at the Lat Phrao rally site at 11:20 pm Saturday.

He was rushed to the intensive care unit of the Mayo Hospital. He was transferred to the Bhumibhol Hospital at 3:45 am.

The centre said the man is a security guard of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-19

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have lost track of how many "grenade" reported bombings there have been in the last week or so. But tell me, o wise ones, is the term "grenade" being used in error by low intelligence level reporters, or do they now sell grenades at the local 7-Elevens in Bangkok? If so why not supply the security guards with several to lob back at the original attacker.

They also use the term 'giant firecracker' a lot.

I take it for what it is a confession that this is indeed a red shirt action. And if it is true then it shows how much worse they are the anti government protesters. Not that many people doubt that I mean they are the ones that burned BKK.

At least in 2010 they had enough nerve to not run away.

This in my opinion is the final straw. The red shirts and the PTP are so entwined that there is no way the government can claim innocence in this.

And you know the Red Shirts did it how exactly? Crystal ball?

The Democrat MP aide wanted for questioning and the video isn't proof enough (and it shouldn't) in the other thread but within a couple hours with no proof whatsoever "it's the Red Shirts!"

I think a lot of folk posting on this topic have never bothered to read Mao Tse Tung's little red book or Ho Chi Minh's book on guerilla warfare....strange both of these folk had Red Shirts and/or stars, same as a lot of the folk who were 'pardoned' by the Thai government after years in the jungle, and who are now spokespeople for another "organisation".....learn from history or you will be condemned to repeat it!!

Wouldn't it be very nice if the election commission banned The party of the antigovernment protesters. If they try to disrupt elections in February their party should absolutely be banned for life. If there is ever been in abuse by a government political party.... the conduct of the yellow shirts have crossed over the line of decency for two months. And there getting away with it. Hopefully when their leader is eventually put in jail he will be denied bail because he is certainly a risk to flee. He has disregarded orders to turn himself in back in early December. No Bail for that LUNATIC SUTHEP. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Oh, the hypocrisy is breathtaking . . .

• Like 2

Does not seem to be improving...as many posters thought it would when this first started. In fact, all the elements are in place right now to invoke special (military) law. All these attacks are just going to do wonders in keeping tourists from flocking in. Domino effect for sure.

As i have always said, this whole charade is far more than being about corruption, vote buying etc, it is literally life and death for some very important (self appointed), as Khun Voranai alludes to in his peace in the other paper today.

I just found out about him the other day.. Is this guy embraced here? I think his writing is brilliant. What do others think?

He appears to be one of the only Thai opinion writers who can see past their own feelings, and write positively and negatively on both sides of the divide. I think he is very good, but much of that is in comparison to other Thailand journalist opinion pieces which are deplorable and often just repeat a load of propaganda from one side or the other with no analysis, fact etc.

Khun Voranai is indeed a shining ray of light that seeps through the thunderclouds of the sh1tstorm that masquerades as politics in this country.

• Like 1

I think a lot of folk posting on this topic have never bothered to read Mao Tse Tung's little red book or Ho Chi Minh's book on guerilla warfare....strange both of these folk had Red Shirts and/or stars, same as a lot of the folk who were 'pardoned' by the Thai government after years in the jungle, and who are now spokespeople for another "organisation".....learn from history or you will be condemned to repeat it!!

Remind me where I heard a political party address a crowd of it's followers from a stage and order an attack on a hospital(Siriraj IIRC), as well as the actual storming of another hospital. It fits a pattern although I am at a loss as to why team rouge feel the need to attack hospitals, don't suppose many of their members took the hippocratic oath?

I think I must have missed something. Where did the report mention attacks on hospitals?

What is clear is that the administration and the police - who are no where to be seen during these atrocities except after the fact, in their apparent eager capacity to horde whatever evidence they find so that they can frame and control their own narrative - have become the " unwitting " enablers of atrocities committed on the streets in the clear light of day on the streets of Bangkok. The only protection the Thai people on the street have from the roaming vigilante armies who are out to annihilate them with grenades - are the police. Without the police, the Thai people are defenseless. When a perception is afoot, that there is an active reticence to protect the Thai people on the street - when that is apparent to those on the streets, we have the makings of a state which fails in its most basic moral duty to protect the lives of their own citizens. While the administration focuses all their attention and wrath on the peaceful protest itself, vigilante groups are now roaming the streets in order to punctuate their own special brand of democracy and their own special brand of terror. The administration can pretend to look the other way while these atrocities take place, but no one on the street will, no television crew will, and no international correspondents will. They - and the people of this country - will see what they see and they will ask the very same questions and make the very same observations. They will not be so easily swayed or controlled by the talking points of the police or of the administration. They will form their own narrative. And it will be a narrative based on fact and not on fiction.

Do you mean a fact like Friday's grenade attack has been linked to a subordinate of ex Democrat Kowit Tharana?

... and the lie has taken root.

Congratulations to the pro-government shills.

Today's headline in another newspaper reads "Democrat aide sought over blast'. In the accompanying article Kowit is quoted as saying he accepts the truck driver being sought is his subordinate.

Are you accusing the other newspaper of being a government shill?

Edited by NCFC

I take it for what it is a confession that this is indeed a red shirt action. And if it is true then it shows how much worse they are the anti government protesters. Not that many people doubt that I mean they are the ones that burned BKK.

This in my opinion is the final straw. The red shirts and the PTP are so entwined that there is no way the government can claim innocence in this.

The Democrat MP aide wanted for questioning and the video isn't proof enough (and it shouldn't) in the other thread but within a couple hours with no proof whatsoever "it's the Red Shirts!"

It was reported that one of the attackers was wearing a green shirt. Yinglucks third group perhaps.

I hope this brings in the army to restore some semblance of law and order. The police are not to be relied upon.

And if these 2 are innocent you would think they would have either turned themselves in by now or got a hot shot lawyer speaking on their behalf

Remains to be seen

Do you mean a fact like Friday's grenade attack has been linked to a subordinate of ex Democrat Kowit Tharana?

Today's headline in another newspaper reads "Democrat aide sought over blast'. In the accompanying article Kowit is quoted as saying he accepts the truck driver being sought is his subordinate.

The only "link" to the grenade attack is that his pick-up was hit by the explosion and he was injured by it.

It was reported that one of the attackers was wearing a green shirt. Yinglucks third group perhaps.

Oh come on . . . what difference does it make what color shirt anyone wears, it means nothing.

Perhaps his red/yellow/black/pink/white/rainbow/polkadot shirts were in the wash and he only had a green one left to wear.

Assumption, assumption and more assumptions...

Aren't we so blessed to have all these assume-knowitall-smarties on this forum.

Actually, we don't need any news, just tell us WHO is doing WHAT next!

• Like 1

I hope this brings in the army to restore some semblance of law and order. The police are not to be relied upon.

Well if he was wearing a green shirt that settles it then rolleyes.gif

If Yingluck even had a third group do you think she'd have them wearing the shirt?

Seems might be useful to ask who gains and who loses from such incidents. Seems the protests are running out of steam, so this sort of thing could "energize" the movement. Army and/or police might see as opportunity to grab more power. Police incompetence points somewhat at them, but incompetence seems to be standard procedure. The military could see as opp to grab more power (still wondering about the navy men with silencers at rally the other day. Security would not need silencers, so they are suspect). "I am at a loss as to why team rouge feel the need to attack hospitals" I agree, which would make it slightly less likely they would be behind this. But then again, I am applying logic to an illogical system. And it is not like any of the groups have some sort of cohesive command structure, so rogue, not necessarily rouge, elements could do this from any of the groups... I know! Blame it on the USA!

Stop and think about it for a moment. Violence is the last thing the government wants. They want elections to be held because they know they are certain to win again. The anti-government camp however, knows that violence is the one thing that will most likely force the military to stage another coup.

Two grenades in two crowded areas in two days and nobody has been caught. Rather fishy don't you think?

• Like 1

The only "link" to the grenade attack is that his pick-up was hit by the explosion and he was injured by it.

And that since being seen on the video, he has disappeared. Why would someone with nothing to hide do that?

I overlooked this part of your post but it is actually very telling about the current situation.

Edited by firestar

Bloody Hell !! Does that mean I cannot wear my green coloured shirts anymore? Already packed away my yellow, red, black and white shirts.

And that since being seen on the video, he has disappeared. Why would someone with nothing to hide do that?

Please show a citation on that man "disappearing". I believe you are making things up.

I feel bad for anyone here who thinks an UNELECTED council to choose the government is a good idea. Name another country besides dictatorships that does this .... Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

why not take a middle ground. An unelected council is not good. But by the same token, a leader, whether he/she be unelected or not, who has criminally violated conditions of office needs to be removed. Richard Nixon was democratically elected and then legally removed for abusing his power.

Remember what started these entire protests. Nobody was out doing anything whatsoever until the Thaksin clan tried to sneak in the amnesty (and at the time, the majority on both sides came out in force against it)...as the CNN reporter earlier asked Yingluck, "don't you think it would be a good thing for the country if the Shinawatras stepped away from politics?"

It amazes me that amidst all this, no moderate Red has stepped forward to say "we want elections but without the person who has abused power and is no longer fit to run the country," which just goes to show you who really is running the show. And no, you cant legally represent a country or be elected while living in Dubai.

I agree with what you have to say. By the same token an unelected council is not what they are suggesting as a permanent answer. Just long enough to put Thailand on a more democratic footing. It is not the end result just the beginning of a better democratic Thai government.

The last 4 years have been disgusting at the national level. 2010 we had an armed attempt to take over the government and burn down Bangkok. What did the PTP do to help stop this. nothing

2012 The PTP get elected and charge the people who did do something to stop it with murder. 2012 the elected PTP do nothing to find out who financed the 2010 armed attempted coup.

2014 grass roots citizens spring up in separate groups opposed to legalizing the crimes of the Prime Ministers brother and put an end to corruption.. They eventually join forces find a leader and the PTP seeks to find out who is paying there way despite the fact that it was many grass roots groups at their own expense who started a peaceful protest.

How dare to throw a bomb at a hospital.

Only animalistic creatures are capable of doing this, No human would attempt such a low than the lowest level attack on helpless people.

The entire situation is pathetic enough, already, but now - it starts getting even worse.

Cynic part of it is, they have scanners at every MRT station, but can't do anything to check people approaching demonstration sites.

Pathetic just got more pathetic ...!

• Like 1

Stop and think about it for a moment. Violence is the last thing the government wants. They want elections to be held because they know they are certain to win again. The anti-government camp however, knows that violence is the one thing that will most likely force the military to stage another coup.

Two grenades in two crowded areas in two days and nobody has been caught. Rather fishy don't you think?

It's not about how a govt is elected, its about how they govern once they are in power. Yes PT have a right to govern once they win the election (and they will) but they have an obligation to rule in a manner that benifits the country not themselves. The inept, corrupt, authoritarian, criminal manner of PT's time in govt is what the protesters are against, not elections.

What suthep and his fascist council want is something else, they have their own agenda and have hijacked a protest movement that has genuine grievances.

• Like 1