Driving in UK with new thai license

My wife is moving to UK on a spouse visa in June. I would like her to get her Thai driving license before coming to the UK. From what I have read on the internet foreigners can drive for 12 months before getting a UK license. If she passed her test now, can she drive in UK using her Thai license?

Whatever the legality of a Thai license in the UK if the holder was involved in an accident the legal issues and any penalty could, as others have pointed out, have further implications.

In my opinion it's not worth the risk.

Yes she can drive in the UK on a full Thai licence, after which time she must apply for a provisional licence take both parts of the test. I think she take the test at any time though.

Don't forget to notify your insurance company and tell them how long she has had a licence.

Applying for a provisional licences after 1 year in the UK will mean she can not drive unaccompanied by a licensed driver, (also that driver needs to be licensed to drive that class of vehicle and be sober etc) until she has passed her driving test, so start with the provisional licence as soon as possible.

My advice go for the Thai license even if it is not valid for driving in the UK, it will give her some experience before coming to the UK but also you need point out that driving is a lot different in the UK.

On arrival in the UK as soon as she can she should get a UK provisional licences, and do the theory test.

Please Note:

You won’t be able to take a theory test with a foreign language voiceover from 7 April 2014. You’ll have to take the test in English, Welsh or British Sign Language.

https://www.gov.uk/book-a-driving-theory-test

So obviously she needs to be able to read and understand English, and to learn the theory then she needs to read the highway code.

https://www.gov.uk/highway-code/contents

and a free practice test can be done on line.

http://www.safedrivingforlife.info/official-theory-test

As for learning to drive I would recommend a mix of professional driving lessons, and driver experience, driving accompanied with a licenced driver who is up to date on the highway code.

if you intend to accompany your wife as the "qualified drive" I would advise refreshing on the highway code and do the free practice first, giving bad and incorrect instructions will cause your wife to need more professional lessons and retakes of the driving test to pass.

Edited by Basil B

Even for a Thai national their first dl is provisional as said but on the very top says TEMPORARY and is not accepted in any other country to drive. Only the 5 year Thai dl is.

I presume the licences are bi-lingual (Thai-English), so the word TEMPORARY is not a FULL driving licence.

Maybe to be more accurate maybe the word TEMPORARY should be PROBATIONARY

Edited by Basil B

Even for a Thai national their first dl is provisional as said but on the very top says TEMPORARY and is not accepted in any other country to drive. Only the 5 year Thai dl is.

I presume the licences are bi-lingual (Thai-English), so the word TEMPORARY is not a FULL driving licence.

Maybe to be more accurate maybe the word TEMPORARY should be PROBATIONARY

The Thai DL 1 year and 5 year are smart cards in both Thai and English. The 1 year dl says Temporary at the top.

If you are thinking of her having an International Driving Permit she has to have a 5 year licence.

If you want to hire a car in the UK some companies will insist on an IDP (I checked for me with eight).

I am sure I have seen that the 1 year licence is not valid outside Thailand, maybe in Wikipedia and as other posters say it does say Temporary.

If you are going in the first year she has a licence. No choice really other than to get her a UK provisional, at least she can drive accompanied but for longer term will need to pass the test.

If you are thinking of her having an International Driving Permit she has to have a 5 year licence.

If you want to hire a car in the UK some companies will insist on an IDP (I checked for me with eight).

I am sure I have seen that the 1 year licence is not valid outside Thailand, maybe in Wikipedia and as other posters say it does say Temporary.

If you are going in the first year she has a licence. No choice really other than to get her a UK provisional, at least she can drive accompanied but for longer term will need to pass the test.

I had no problem renting a car from Hertz in London a few years ago, using my one year licence and a Thai credit card.

If you are unsure of the rules and she has a full licence just get an international drivers licence.

They issue them at the registry/licence offices.

There appears to be some sort of urban myth about international drivers permits which are little more than a translation of the licence you hold in your home country.

In the case of Thailand I'd suggest they are are on a par with a Nigerian licence.

UK insurance companies are not stupid. They do not insure or underwrite unskilled drivers.

If you check the small print the applicant has to disclose all the facts.

No proper licence equals no insurance.

Then you are wrong with you suggestion. Thai driving licences are much more respected than those of most African countries. The IDP translates and validates the details on your license and is a requirement in many countries for drivers wanting to drive outside their own country.

Insurance companies will assess the risk and quote a premium they believe appropriate. They are not stupid and are commercial organizations and act accordingly.

Too many urban myths about Thailand.

Indeed, I had no problem including a previous partner with her one year licence on my UK car insurance when I was still in the UK, and following my relocation to Thailand I had no problem renting a car with my one year licence when I returned for a holiday.

If she passes a Thai driving test and obtains her licence here she can drive up to a year there on that licence but will have to take the UK test. However I would not advise her to do the test here. Much better to pass the UK test as the tests here are <deleted> inadequate and she would be in danger driving over there.

If she passes a Thai driving test and obtains her licence here she can drive up to a year there on that licence but will have to take the UK test. However I would not advise her to do the test here. Much better to pass the UK test as the tests here are <deleted> inadequate and she would be in danger driving over there.

She can not drive in the UK on her first 1 year dl from Thailand as it says "Temporary" . the UK or any other country will not honor it. Only a 5 year dl from Thailand.

Yes she can drive in the UK on a full Thai licence, after which time she must apply for a provisional licence take both parts of the test. I think she take the test at any time though. Don't forget to notify your insurance company and tell them how long she has had a licence.

A one year "provisional" Thai licence would not be recognised as being valid in the UK.

If, as it would appear, " thomas28's" wife does not currently have a full Thai licence she would NOT be permitted to drive in the UK

I did say she she can drive on a full licence, and by that I meant a five year licence.

Yes the OP states she hasn't past a test yet, so even if she past a test tomorrow, she would not have her five year licence in time.

That said, think the question of a one year licence being a full licence or not is a grey area, it certainly entitles the holder to drive unsupervised in Thailand and you have to pass a test to qualify to hold one. I suspect that if the OP's wife was asked to produce her licence to the UK police it would be acceptable.

There was a thread on this issue on the forum last year and as I recall that the the DVLA were not able to give a definitive answer.

Chiang Mai has made an important point though, if a holder of a Thai licence commits a motoring offence they cannot be dealt with by being issued with a fixed penalty, certainly not where points are involved, so an offence would have to be dealt with through the courts and could well have implications down the line.

I think if I were the OP, I would enrol my wife in a UK Driving School rather than use a short cut, she has to,pass a test sooner than later.

From what the Op said his wife will not be able to drive in the UK as her license must be valid for at least a year on arrival. Not possible if she has a 1 year license issued before departure.

Edited by Anon999

Few years ago I needed to rent a car back home in UK and asked the company if Khun Wifes " lifetime" Thai DL was OK to include as a co driver. (Not sure if they still do them.)

However quick check and they came back,confirmed it as a Full license and responded with a yes

From what the Op said his wife will not be able to drive in the UK as her license must be valid for at least a year on arrival. Not possible if she has a 1 year license issued before departure.

Where does it say that the licence must be valid for at least a year on arrival, I cannot find it so I would welcome a pointer.

Putting the information into the DVLA tool, produces this:

You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when you became resident.

After 12 months youll need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the theory and practical driving tests to drive in Great Britain.

As I said earlier the whole issue of the initial twelve month licence issued in Thailand after passing a test being a full licence seems to be a grey area, though it allows the holder to drive unsupervised without any restriction.

I can see how the grey area might be illuminated - the word 'Provisional' : in Thailand the 1-year Provisional is issued AFTER the test is taken and indicates a period during which the driver can prove they can drive that long without demolishing other vehicles and/or lives; in the UK, the Provisional is the licence used BEFORE the test during the supervised tuition/learning-to-drive period. If this distinction is accepted by UK agencies then it would explain why Thais MIGHT be permitted to drive on their type of 'Provisional' licence ?

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Where does it say that the licence must be valid for at least a year on arrival, I cannot find it so I would welcome a pointer.

Putting the information into the DVLA tool, produces this:

You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when you became resident.

After 12 months youll need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the theory and practical driving tests to drive in Great Britain.

As I said earlier the whole issue of the initial twelve month licence issued in Thailand after passing a test being a full licence seems to be a grey area, though it allows the holder to drive unsupervised without any restriction.

I think the confusion about it being a 1 year licence comes from if you wanted an international driving permit issued in Thailand using a Thai driving licence it has to be a full 5 year licence

No she cannot legally drive in the UK. Do the right thing and tell her to pass her test in Thailand, for what that's worth judging by the Thai drivers, then she mustn't drive in the UK without the appropriate licence. It's not fair on the drivers and public in the UK to let a Thai driver loose on the roads without proper instruction. So pay for lessons in the UK until she passes her test.

No she cannot legally drive in the UK. Do the right thing and tell her to pass her test in Thailand, for what that's worth judging by the Thai drivers, then she mustn't drive in the UK without the appropriate licence. It's not fair on the drivers and public in the UK to let a Thai driver loose on the roads without proper instruction. So pay for lessons in the UK until she passes her test.

She can drive in the UK for a period of 1 year after she enters the country, she can also hire cars or vans using her Thai licence in fact I rented a van last week using my Thai licence due to having previous bans on my UK licence,

You may have got the rental company to hire you a vehicle on your Thai licence but unless you have a valid UK license you are driving illegally. UK residents can not use foreign licence's to drive here.

You may have got the rental company to hire you a vehicle on your Thai licence but unless you have a valid UK license you are driving illegally. UK residents can not use foreign licence's to drive here.

I'm sorry but you're wrong again, driving licences from some countries can be exchanged for a UK licence, whilst a person from other countries, including Thailand, can drive on a full licence for up to twelve months.

Are you honestly trying to tell us that you know more than the likes of Avis and Hertz, and that the thousands of overseas tourists that visit the UK and rent a car are driving illegally?

But if we live in Thailand we are NOT UK residents.. But if you have a valid UK licence then you must use that.. I'm lucky i do have a valid UK licence (it ran out) and i'm not resident in the UK....

It was me that started a very similar topic about a year ago that The Old Git referred to earlier in this thread.

I decided that it wasn't worth all the potential aggro so I decided that it was best that I don't let my wife drive on a 1 year Thai DL because :-

1. The 1 year starts from when she passes the test which is obviously before going to the UK. So in practical terms we would only be talking about driving in the UK for about 11 months or less.

2. There are possible legal and visa problems with this - mostly I think because there is great confusion over it. In Thailand EVERYONE who passes the test get a TEMPORARY license for 12 months. At the end of the 12 months they exchange it automatically for a PERMANENT one. Therefore it is not provisional - just limited by time ....... in the same sense that a UK license is limited by time (albeit longer). Bottom line is that a Thai 1 year license is a FULL license. However trying to convince authorities here is a problem. I wrote to the DVLA but they did not give me a definitive answer.

3. Coming to the UK for the first time my wife had a lot more other things to think about so by not driving took away a bit of the pressure.

4. I think insurance was possible by adding her to my insurance but, of course, it would have been more expensive. I can't remember how much.

5. Within less than a year she would have had to pass the UK test. Problem with that is a lot of it is now theory and I think I am right in saying that you can't take it in Thai (although I think you can take it in some other foreign languages). So we might have ended up in a situation where she did drive for 11 months and then couldn't and therefore have to modify lifestyles.

All in all it just wasn't worth it.

By the way, I think a lot of you guys are being a bit disrespectful about Thai driving standards. I lived there for over a year and I thought the car driving standards were ok - I've seen far worse in other parts of Asia. Problem with driving in Thailand is the ridiculous risks taken by motor bikes and scooters.

• Like 2

I'm referring to a UK passport holder. Mapprang said he used the Thai licence to avoid the rental company seeing his previous driving bans. That would raise issues if he had an accident.

Doesn't matter if you are a UK passport holder.

If you are NOT resident in the UK AND you do not hold a current UK licence you can use your Thai 5 year driving licence to drive in the UK.

Both criteria need to be met, a UK driving licence overrides the Thai one if you hold one, eg you then cannot legally drive on your Thai licence you should be on the UK one.