Staying Fit in Chiang Mai

scopin

I've returned to Chiang Mai after a 6 year hiatus and found many things have changed.

Among these is the local facilities I used to use are no longer operating so I'm seeking some new places.

Can anyone advise me where I can find some facilities to help me stay fit. Near the U.S. consulate area is most convenient but I do have transportation.

• An inexpensive work out place with machines like treadmills and weights. I like nordic tracks. Pay per use is probably best as I will only go a few times per month.
  • I like playing badminton but am not a serious player. Any drop in places to play and have fun?
  • Swimming is great but clean pools and nice facilities for lanes swimming I have no idea where. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance to all respondents. Cheers and I'm glad to be back.

You don't need to spend a lot to keep fit.

Why use machines unless you want build muscle?

Walking, hiking, running....all free and rapidly build up aerobic capacity and stamina and leg strength.

Badminton,for 30bt for a few hours can join the expats at the municipal stadium in santitham. Several players tues and fri pm,and there will be someone of a lower standard. Improved general fitness,speed,agility and flexibility and reflexes.

Swimming.the best pool is at 700yr stadium,60bt for as long as you want, clean and quiet and well don't they say swimming is the best all round fitness activity there is.

I do all the above and now I am like a whippet and still drink and eat what I want in copious amounts.

Lots of info on this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/66816-best-gym-in-chiang-mai/page-11?hl=+gym

Nothing has been added for over six months, but I think that is because there is nothing significant to add.

A short summary:

Fitness Thailand is big, crowded in the evening, is really slack on maintenance, and has lots of big screen tv's. I would prefer more emphasis on maintenance than televisions, but obviously the management has different priorities.

Powerhouse gym is nice, well maintained, and much smaller than Fitness Thailand. I haven't checked for a while, but it used to get pretty crowded.

California Wow was on the verge of closing for a very long time. I think it is closed now, but haven't bothered to check.

Some high end hotels have gyms that suit some peoples needs and leave others unimpressed.

Why use machines unless you want build muscle?

To increase strength. Without resistance training can not have good results.

Weight lifting is important in order to maintain the body muscles, or due to heavy acting increase the muscles, one does not have to visit a gym in order to use a weight lifting machine, just purchase some barbells and carry on weight lifting at home and the body will benefit from it both in terms of muscle and bone density.

To provide physical activity for the entire body buy In addition a Treadmill and then do exercises entirely in the home, and no need to go to a gym.

Dare I say it?

Forget the gym. Forget the fancy machines.

Ordinary calisthenics (sit-ups, push-ups, leg-raises, etc., etc.) combined with .... get ready for it....Fencing (for the areobics, speed, and endurance.)

Hell of a lot more fun than sitting around moving around pieces of heavy metal.

Free weights are great if you're trying to build muscle mass.

Machines are great if you're trying to tone muscle and improve circulation.

Both are very effective for what they do. But neither are what we could call 'fun.'

OP's topic reads 'Staying Fit in Chiang Mai.' You can do it cheaply and enjoyably. Calisthenics and Fencing.

OK... the calisthenics part isn't fun. But the Fencing part makes up for it. :)

^^ Agreed. Do 200 pushups/situps a day and you'll be fitter than most of the populace. Augment with cycling. Used to do a bit at City Gym, but that place has seriously gone downhill... filled with nattering beefcakes now (Thai and farang) and the kit is worse for wear. The push-up (press-up) alone is such a good all-round exercise, including legs and core as well as the obvious.

Op: this stadium here (Gmaps co-ords: 18.800622,98.990056) has a gym under the grandstand for a few baht (or used to) with some weights and suchlike. You can also run around the track. Just north of north moat, which ain't far from US Consulate.

If you are interested in walking / jogging / Tai Chi try Nong Buak Haad City Park - It opens at 6am and it is a real nice place to start the day - It is right on the corner of the old city wall nearest the Airport ..... perhaps SW corner not sure lol

Dare I say it?

Forget the gym. Forget the fancy machines.

Ordinary calisthenics (sit-ups, push-ups, leg-raises, etc., etc.) combined with .... get ready for it....Fencing (for the areobics, speed, and endurance.)

Hell of a lot more fun than sitting around moving around pieces of heavy metal.

Free weights are great if you're trying to build muscle mass.

Machines are great if you're trying to tone muscle and improve circulation.

Both are very effective for what they do. But neither are what we could call 'fun.'

OP's topic reads 'Staying Fit in Chiang Mai.' You can do it cheaply and enjoyably. Calisthenics and Fencing.

OK... the calisthenics part isn't fun. But the Fencing part makes up for it. smile.png

What's fun about working out with weights is the challenge of the activity and the feeling you get in your body afterwards. You don't get that feeling from cardio or fencing.

The feeling is explained in this video.

Edited by donniereadit

Working out with weights *is* fun, I certainly enjoy it.

700 Year Stadium has two pay per use gyms, 30 baht for the non a/c gym and I think 100 for the a/c gym. The non a/c has free weights and some old machines and the a/c side has newer equipment and more machines. I don't think the a/c gym has free weights but not 100% sure as I use the non a/c gym which also has two bags up for boxing and gloves for you to use.