Need a new wireless router - what to get?

samran

So my old Belkin router, circa 2009 is giving up the ghost. Regular drop outs on the wireless, selective connections (especially with iPads and iPhones, but occasionally with my laptops) means that I'm in the market for a new one.

Main usage is for netflix (via Apple TV connected via Lan cable), the iPad and iPhone, and for a laptop. We have an old PC we fire up occassionally and I also have a 3TB WD backup. The occasional download.

Given this type of usage, is there a good brand of router you'd recommend. Want something that isn't going to cause the drop outs we regularly get these days.

Many thanks in advance...

If price is not s problem I would suggest Cisco Linksys. If it is, then I recently purchased a Tenda brand 320mbps wifi router. They have good speed and range and were easy to set up but I have not had mine long.

• Like 1

Personally, I would stay away from Cisco Linksys. I bought one and thought it was the worst WiFi router I ever had. The signal was really poor (not even past one room) and the software was lacking. I only had it for a week before deciding to replace it with a TP-Link. I also have had Netgear, Zyxel, Linksys (before Cisco), and some sort of True supplied WiFI unnamed router. Most of them burnt out (stopped sending a signal) after a year or so except the TP-Link. I am actually planning on buy a new TP-Link to replace my current one. I want the 300Mbps speed (and range). I currently have the 150Mbs one. I bought the 300Mbps TP-Link for my sister-in-law and replaced the dual antennas with -8db (longer) ones. It really has a nice range so I will probably get the same setup.

My wife's place of work uses TOT supplied TP-Link routers. Some are inside and some are outside under a roof. They have kept on going strong for over 2 to 3 years now. I am impressed by them.

I have also installed DLink and Belkin. The Dlink was fairly solid but I didn't like the software. The Belkin had issues were it would lock up every month or so.

One more suggestion, make sure whatever you buy has an external antenna if you need to cover a large area. The internal antennas have poor signal strength.

• Like 1

Personally, I would stay away from Cisco Linksys. I bought one and thought it was the worst WiFi router I ever had. The signal was really poor (not even past one room) and the software was lacking. I only had it for a week before deciding to replace it with a TP-Link. I also have had Netgear, Zyxel, Linksys (before Cisco), and some sort of True supplied WiFI unnamed router. Most of them burnt out (stopped sending a signal) after a year or so except the TP-Link. I am actually planning on buy a new TP-Link to replace my current one. I want the 300Mbps speed (and range). I currently have the 150Mbs one. I bought the 300Mbps TP-Link for my sister-in-law and replaced the dual antennas with -8db (longer) ones. It really has a nice range so I will probably get the same setup.

My wife's place of work uses TOT supplied TP-Link routers. Some are inside and some are outside under a roof. They have kept on going strong for over 2 to 3 years now. I am impressed by them.

I have also installed DLink and Belkin. The Dlink was fairly solid but I didn't like the software. The Belkin had issues were it would lock up every month or so.

One more suggestion, make sure whatever you buy has an external antenna if you need to cover a large area. The internal antennas have poor signal strength.

I have a Cisco WAG320N Modem/Router which I bought with me from Australia. I bought a TPLINK 150mbps router when we put in our fibre service from TOT. Many lockups on the TPLink and of course, quite slow (no surprise there) and seems generally a very "lightweight" model, again it wasn't expensive so.....

I found the Cisco to have great wifi range in Australia even with its internal antenna. Enoght to cover a 20 square single storey home and yard. The online guides and support have been responsive and excellent for me even though the product is a little old now.

Yes, the software can be a little complex but offers good flexibility.

I now use it as a bridging wifi access point on Level 2 of our shop house. I swapped out the TPlink as it didn't work well. The Cisco hasn't missed a beat.

That's my experience. Mind you, budget constraints caused me to purchase 2 Tenda wifi routers which I have also found quite good. One in our shop and the other on L5. I do agree that the OP should look into A/C models.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 months later...