How would Thailand be any different than your home country?

Somsrisonphimai

Thanks so much for all of your responses; it has been very enjoyable reading. It is also refreshing to see that you do not have to be rude, ridicule and offensive to point out the differences between the two countries.

Well, is it safe to say that although you have a thing for Thailand, your homeland is where your heart sleep?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is a very backward country. It is like going back in time - whcih can be a pleasent experienc. Probably way before my time. Perhaps Victorian times. I cant remember my country being as backward as Thailand is today even in the sixties.

Also girls think nothing of staying with an old man.

Thailand is a very backward country. It is like going back in time - whcih can be a pleasent experienc. Probably way before my time. Perhaps Victorian times. I cant remember my country being as backward as Thailand is today even in the sixties.

I remember that too especially the prices for housing, mass transportation, healthcare, a night on the town among others. Although I must say that the movie theaters in my country never had bed seating or the hospital rooms; refrigerators, couches and a dishwasher.

I remember that too especially the prices for housing, mass transportation, healthcare, a night on the town among others. Although I must say that the movie theaters in my country never had bed seating or the hospital rooms; refrigerators, couches and a dishwasher.

yes indeed somethings are a great improvement. hopsitals, movie theaters, etc etc. but i was refering as much to the mind set as the afore mentioned

yes indeed somethings are a great improvement. hopsitals, movie theaters, etc etc. but i was refering as much to the mind set as the afore mentioned

I'm not. The mindset of the average Victorian did not include bathing. They stunk. Cholera was a major problem in London. I like the mindset of the average Thai which includes showering more than once a day.

I'm not. The mindset of the average Victorian did not include bathing. They stunk. Cholera was a major problem in London. I like the mindset of the average Thai which includes showering more than once a day.

They may shower a lot, but they also cook food without washing after doing big poohs and using their hands to wipe.

And the dirty mattress they sleep on, never cleaned, nor the sleeping blankets.

They may shower a lot, but they also cook food without washing after doing big poohs and using their hands to wipe.

No they don't. Have you ever seen a Thai person poop? Come on be honest. I have never known a Thai person to wipe with their hands. You really must stop telling fairy tales about Thailand old bean.

If they don't wash hands before cooking they join the majority of people in the world. It is a good thing they don't eat rare meat. Hand washing is a global problem not just a Thai problem. Do you know when global hand washing day is? I sleep on a new mattress as does my wife and all of her family. I'm doing my part. How many mattresses have you purchased in Thailand? Get out there and buy a friend a mattress today.thumbsup.gif

PS All of my bedding is washed weekly. Cowabunga Bwana what kind of primitive place do you live in?

• Like 1

what impressed me in my first years in Thailand, was the warmth and genuine hospitality of the thai people,now 50 years later in the villages it is still the same, but in the towns and city,the general attitude towards foreigners is bordering on hostile, the diference between Thailand and UK I find is neighbours not talking, many thai friends in uk ask me why is everyone so angry or miserable!! very hard to explain,pleased to say I can still leave my Australian grandchildren in the village, would not dream of leaving them in uk!!

They use water along with their hand to clean...

They may or may not have wash their hand before they cook but they seem to survive and don't seem to have health issue as to the people in the west or east tend to have.

In the village they don't wash the mattress as it is impossible to wash. They normally set it out in the sun for at least a few days and for every other few months. They do however wash the bed-sheet regularity. Do you think the hotels clean their mattress? How does the mattress get clean anyway?

Almost feel like you were describing my behaviors at time.

Khun Somsrisonphimai, out of curiosity are you the woman featured on your display picture?
What the difference does it make whether or not that is my picture?

like I said, just curious...

They may or may not have wash their hand before they cook but they seem to survive and don't seem to have health issue as to the people in the west or east tend to have.

In the village they don't wash the mattress as it is impossible to wash. They normally set it out in the sun for at least a few days and for every other few months. They do however wash the bed-sheet regularity. Do you think the hotels clean their mattress? How does the mattress get clean anyway?

Hand + scoop + water bucket = yuck

Thais also seem able to eat fried chicken from those awful 5 star roadside stalls, whereas I shit myself.

I'm thinking a lifetime of eating contaminated food might provide the protection that people from civilized countries don't seem to have.

Health issues ??

Most villagers die well before western people reach an age to develop their commonest health issues.

My MIL (Thai village person) almost died last month, diabetes (common), liver disease (very common), and high blood pressure, and she's only 62.

Bed Sheets ????

The villages you visit must be very wealthy, a dirty bare mattress was as good as it gets in the villages I have visited. Quite often, not even that. The Deathtown Inn (in CM) knew how to get their mattress clean (allegedly).

I'm thinking you can't be Thai as your knowledge of Thai life seems very limited. You're probably a 50+ year old white guy pretending.

Thais also seem able to eat fried chicken from those awful 5 star roadside stalls, whereas I shit myself.

I'm thinking a lifetime of eating contaminated food might provide the protection that people from civilized countries don't seem to have.

Health issues ??

Most villagers die well before western people reach an age to develop their commonest health issues.

My MIL (Thai village person) almost died last month, diabetes (common), liver disease (very common), and high blood pressure, and she's only 62.

Bed Sheets ????

The villages you visit must be very wealthy, a dirty bare mattress was as good as it gets in the villages I have visited. Quite often, not even that. The Deathtown Inn (in CM) knew how to get their mattress clean (allegedly).

I'm thinking you can't be Thai as your knowledge of Thai life seems very limited. You're probably a 50+ year old white guy pretending.

You wrote, " Most villagers die well before western people reach an age to develop their commonest health issues."

Oh do they?

Whether it is deaths from cirrhosis, drug abuse, lung cancer, murder or suicide, Glasgow's mortality rates are easily the highest in Britain, and among the highest in Europe. Life expectancy at birth in Glasgow is the lowest in the UK – more than six years below the national average for Glaswegian men 71.6 years. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/nov/06/mystery-glasgow-health-problems

Thailand Life expectancy at birth: total population: 74.05 years

http://www.indexmundi.com/thailand/life_expectancy_at_birth.html

Health issues ??

Bed Sheets ????

-I never clean my mattress, maybe just vacuum it once a year, and change sheet regularly. This is hardly a Thai issue, it's more a matter of germ paranoia giggle.gif

-Never heard about Thais whiping their a** with their hands, my wife doesn't anyway, i allways thought that was more of an arab custom.. But i do know that she cleans her hands after.

-Try observing a public toilet in a western shoppingmall for a while, and you'll be amazed how few people clean their hands after dropping their load! (you may not want to touch that doorknob in your way out)

-I allways eat local food from various stalls when i'm in thailand and i've never had a problem with that. However back in the "civilized" homecountry i have stumach issues quite often. Why is that?

-People in the west can also die in early age. Cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure due to obesity, and effects of smoking and drinking are pretty international problems.

Maybe you are better off staying home, so you can live until you're 100

Hand + scoop + water bucket = yuckThais also seem able to eat fried chicken from those awful 5 star roadside stalls, whereas I shit myself.

Health issues ??

Bed Sheets ????

You wrote, " Most villagers die well before western people reach an age to develop their commonest health issues."

Oh do they?

Whether it is deaths from cirrhosis, drug abuse, lung cancer, murder or suicide, Glasgow's mortality rates are easily the highest in Britain, and among the highest in Europe. Life expectancy at birth in Glasgow is the lowest in the UK more than six years below the national average for Glaswegian men 71.6 years. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/nov/06/mystery-glasgow-health-problems

interesting points about thai life expectancy.i too read the numbers ..... im thinking fake

where do all these 70 year old thais hide?should be loads around, but im not seeing them.

glasgow is not the western world, but when i lived there i met more 70 year olds there than i have in thailand, how can that be, when they are all supposed to be dead.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Hand + scoop + water bucket = yuckThais also seem able to eat fried chicken from those awful 5 star roadside stalls, whereas I shit myself.

Health issues ??

Bed Sheets ????

Oh do they?

Whether it is deaths from cirrhosis, drug abuse, lung cancer, murder or suicide, Glasgow's mortality rates are easily the highest in Britain, and among the highest in Europe. Life expectancy at birth in Glasgow is the lowest in the UK more than six years below the national average for Glaswegian men 71.6 years. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/nov/06/mystery-glasgow-health-problems

interesting points about thai life expectancy.i too read the numbers ..... im thinking fake

where do all these 70 year old thais hide?should be loads around, but im not seeing them.

glasgow is not the western world, but when i lived there i met more 70 year olds there than i have in thailand, how can that be, when they are all supposed to be dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_effect

The Glasgow effect refers to the unexplained poor health and low life expectancy of Glaswegians compared to the rest of the United Kingdom and Europe.

the wealthiest ten percent of the Glasgow population have a lower life expectancy than the same group in other cities.

Various hypotheses have been proposed to account for the effect,......high levels of stress, and a culture of alienation and pessimism. wai2.gif

Which thai people you refer 2 ?

Many people, but no one forced you to response, so...

I guess it is ok for people to ask about Thailand, but it is not ok for Thai people to ask about other country. But, then they like to say Thai people are uneducated and uninformed about things.

Very sorry for the unhelpful posts.

So your question is about what is different in other countries?

The question is so overwhelming, I don't know where to begin.

There are many differences: mentality, social structures, beliefs, organisation.

I am from Europe, and I feel the most important differences with Thailand are the high cost of labor / high living costs in Europe (both are related), the high tax and social burdens in Europe and consumerism. In Europe we also have a lot of welfare, the people benefiting from it have mostly to thank Europe's colonial history for it.

It seemed people go all the trouble to be in Thailand, leaving their friend, family, and ways of life. Just about everyday I see question about visa extension, they have to leaveThailand get their visa stamp of some sort to stay in Thailand.

Actually, I am flattered that people like to come to Thailand and stay in Thailand. I think a lot of Thai people don't get why farangs ( I try not use the word farang but it seemed fit better in a sentence) would want to be in Thailand than their country. In Thais mind, western countries have more to offer than Thai country.

80% of the time it's about using their penis. They can sleep with beautiful women they couldn't in their own country. This is why there's a much higher percentage of men to women here.

Then, others are here for various reasons. Retirees like it here because they can afford a few luxuries they couldn't afford back home. A housekeeper, delicious food, agreeable weather.

95% of us complain non-stop about things here.

I think with your line of questioning though, you are trying to say 'if it's so bad here, why are you here?' I would say, much like Thais, they want to have their cake and eat it too. They hate dealing with the inconviences, dangers, and corruption, but they also want the benefits.

Let me ask you this.. What %age of Thais go and live in countries like Australia, US, England? What %age of farang come to live in Thailand?

Why is Nationalism so popular in Thailand?

80% of the time it's about using their penis. They can sleep with beautiful women they couldn't in their own country. This is why there's a much higher percentage of men to women here.

Then, others are here for various reasons. Retirees like it here because they can afford a few luxuries they couldn't afford back home. A housekeeper, delicious food, agreeable weather.

95% of us complain non-stop about things here.

I think with your line of questioning though, you are trying to say 'if it's so bad here, why are you here?' I would say, much like Thais, they want to have their cake and eat it too. They hate dealing with the inconviences, dangers, and corruption, but they also want the benefits.

Let me ask you this.. What %age of Thais go and live in countries like Australia, US, England? What %age of farang come to live in Thailand?

Why is Nationalism so popular in Thailand?

Brits would retire in Florida but can only get a 6 month Visa. Americans would retire in Australia but don't like being called Septic Tanks. Hope that explains it.
  • Like 1

Posts criticising English language and replies have been removed from view. Waste of member's time reading through that drivel.

There is no requirement for correct grammar and spelling on this forum, however, using your browser's spell-check and other functions, is considered good Netiquette.

Health issues ??

Bed Sheets ????

I know life in the village very well as my mom and dad are farmers growing rice and my hometown is Phimai, Koratch. Maybe bed-sheet is too fancy of a word but people do have a sheet to cover their mattress, and it gets clean regularly. When I was growing my mom and my grandma made me and my siblings mattress. The days when there is sunshine and it gets very hot, we take the mattress out in the sun to kill germ (kind of resourceful, don't you think?)

As for cleaning hand and health issues, I can tell you what I've seen in my village. They seem to manage and continue to live their life the best way they know how. My grandma passed away a couple years ago at the age of 97, so you tell me...

I am all woman, all Thai and 30th something year old. Everything about me is real, head to toe (I don't even color my hair because I love my black hair.) I was asked to model a few times but I never did try since I didn't think I was that pretty, so certainly not a 50+ years old white male as you implied.

Since you seemed to know about Thais very well, maybe you should try to adopt one of Thais' famous traits and that is being less confrontational.

Edited by Somsrisonphimai
  • Like 1

The Glasgow effect refers to the unexplained poor health and low life expectancy of Glaswegians compared to the rest of the United Kingdom and Europe.

the wealthiest ten percent of the Glasgow population have a lower life expectancy than the same group in other cities.

Various hypotheses have been proposed to account for the effect,......high levels of stress, and a culture of alienation and pessimism. wai2.gif

I know why people in Glasgow die young, as does everyone else that has lived there.

The weather is the worst in the world, it's wet and cold all the time, and there is nothing to do but get drunk every night.

They die young because they are drunkards. Me too, when I was working there.

My boss died face down in her own vomit, age 45, at her desk one night. It wasn't uncommon at all.

No need for any research or hypothesis.

I know why people in Glasgow die young, as does everyone else that has lived there.

The weather is the worst in the world, it's wet and cold all the time, and there is nothing to do but get drunk every night.

They die young because they are drunkards. Me too, when I was working there.

My boss died face down in her own vomit, age 45, at her desk one night. It wasn't uncommon at all.

No need for any research or hypothesis.

You wrote, "Most villagers die well before western people reach an age to develop their commonest health issues."

Is that what you really meant? See I'm having a problem with that because it's not true.

What is true is, Most villagers die well before some western people and well after some Western people.

In my case I'm sure I'll live longer because the third largest cause of death in the USA is mistakes made in USA hospitals. Since I don't use USA hospitals I feel more secure living in Thailand. biggrin.png

Edited by thailiketoo

Well for a very large number of farangs Thailand is no different from their home country - they hang out in their enclaves aka ghettos, eat the same food as back home (probably at a higher import price), speak the same language as they did before, complain about the same old stuff... etc ad infinitum

Why they came ? Eking out those pennies.

• Like 2

@ LarryBird,

So you would rather me ask " What do you guys think of the weather in Thailand today?" I have noticed that no matter what kind of question I ask, there will be people who view it as negative, especially the question that makes them think. I like knowing other people's culture, values, and ways of life. I find it interesting and wondering are we really that different.

Edited by Somsrisonphimai
  • Like 1

Love the weather :) I also like meaningful questions about my country, culture and lifestyle.. I believe a person will learn more about themselves, knowing about different customs, traditions and cultures.

For example after living 4 weeks in a ghetto in Morocco, I realized that Norwegians have a lot to learn about hospitality and family values :)

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Which thai people you refer 2 ?

Many people, but no one forced you to response, so...

I guess it is ok for people to ask about Thailand, but it is not ok for Thai people to ask about other country. But, then they like to say Thai people are uneducated and uninformed about things.

So many similarities and differences between Thai's and Americans in my case. Many sincere warm aand friendly Thais almost everty place I go

I have never been treated badly by taxi drivers or anyone else except a few Baht gouging tuk tuk drivers and of course paying three times what my Thai wife pays when shoppping, in many instances. Many Thai's assume all Americans are rich, and by some standards of living I guess that is true. I have been called a rich Farang many times, mostly in a joking manner, but I strugggle to balance my monthly pension whie supporting my Thai wife and helping the extended famiy of 12 every month also. Between the family and our farm, the expenses are enough to leave me almost with empty pockets at month's end or earlier most months.

One huge difference is the way illegals are treated here vs in America. I this case i speak only of how I have seen Lao friends and family who are here without work permits. When caught, Lao's are quickly sent back across the river, maybe after two or three days in the local lock up as just happened in my Lao sister in law.. She spent two nights in jail sleeping on a bare concrete floor with a month old infant. The jailer tok the baaby's blankets and the mom's jacket and the temps were in the low 50's where they live.She was fed a small portion of rice and salad once a day and had to fight to keep it. If word reached the Ameerican media of any mom and infant being treated this way in America, there would be six lawyers lined up ready to sue the jail over this sort of treatment.

Illegals in America, mostly poor Mexicans. looking for better money, just as the Lao's are, walk Across the Rio Grande river, or go through tunnels that reach for miles across the border into border cities in Texas and Arizona mostly, but the open border runs from southern Texas, west to California, a distance of roughly 3,000 km so illegals can easily pick thir point of entry. The list of entiotlements for illegal mexicans would shock ,ost people. In many cases free housing or fifteen people sharing a two bedroom flat while working usuallly as famr labor, construction labor or in restaurants.Terer are probably 40 million illlegal mexicans in the US that cost US taxpayers more than 350 billlion dollars a year to support; free medicaal, free schools through grade 12, free social services, foood stamps, welfare money bi lingual speakers to help the Mexicans do all their paperwork, which does not include bank accounts because they send millions in cash back to Mexico each month. They ay no taxes either because they have no Tax ID number like all Americans of age with a social security number. Thoussands of mexican pregnant women cross the border to give birth in the USA. This automatically gives the child US citizenship because of being born in America. That automatically qualifies the infant, not the mom in many cases, with all the benefits mentiioned above, but since the infant is not of age, the mom and father reap the benefits...

That is enough..I was first here during the war in the late 60's and always wanted to retire here. I still love Thailand and their people after being here almost 7 years. I just wish there was healthcare insurance for expats. For that reason alone, meaning my poor health, I may be forced soon to go back to America just for medical treatment and sadly, my Thai fmily will not be going with me.

So sorry to hear about your health issue and the hardships your Laotian friends have endured in Thailand. I cannot speak about Thai treatments of illegal workers as my knowledge of the topic is limited, but I used to watch youtube about refugees camp along the border of Thailand. It was sad to see but was thankful at the same time for my fortune of having a better life. As some of the posts have mentioned, the grass isn't allways greener on the other side. I hope you get proper care of your health and hope you do not have to leave your family. I believe one of the posts mentioned about healthcare for expats, you might want to contact the poster for the information. Maybe someone can start a business providing health insurance for expats.

OP: You have an excellent command of the English language so I assume you must socialise or work with English speaking foreigners. When you pose the question in your OP what are the responses? How about bullet pointing the primary answers and your thoughts on their validity?