Safety in Thailand

recycler

A very unsettling event Saturday evening. As my son of 17 was biking home with his friend from a small party at 11 PM, a distance of about 1.5 km, on our supposedly guarded compound, he was attacked by a drunk Thai on a motorcycle. There was no apparent reason for the attack. The attacker came from behind and used a broken beer bottle. The attack resulted in wounds on his face requiring 10 stitches. Luckily his friend was able to hit the attacker down so they could escape. It's events like this that make me worry about our safety and angry about the useless security on our compound and village. How to protect your family and home if the guards don't do it?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did this occur?

My question too. Safety is so much dependent on the place you live.

Coming to our Isan village for 14 years as a "tourist", living here for almost three years now.

Never had a serious event.

Road rage is a potential problem though.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. But TH is not always as safe as it appears. I was coming home around the same time last night and passed a young caucasian female walking alone in Phayathai. I made a comment to my friend that she probably shouldn't be doing that. And that Thai girls would never walk alone at night.

So to answer your question about how to protect your family, just be smart. Educate your son. Sounds like he was with a friend. Just too bad this happened.

From what I've experienced most of these so called guards are only there to make the impression of being safe. Just look at the ones in the shopping malls and their great metal detectors that always go off when a person walks through them. The "guards" couldn't care less, I've never been checked by them. The only thing they care about is their uniform and their thousand patches that make them look like pilots. Appearance is all in Thailand.

They get what they pay for, at $10 per day.

It happened at Eastern Star golf course in Ban Chang, Rayong

I'm surprised that Eastern Star doesn't have at least half decent security, certainly one of the better Moo Bans in the area, or was he just passing the golf course?

I'm surprised that Eastern Star doesn't have at least half decent security, certainly one of the better Moo Bans in the area, or was he just passing the golf course?

Security at Eastern Star is completely worthless! If there is a guard at a guardhouse they open the gate for everybody. You can drive in with an empty pickup and drive out with a full one, friendly greeting!

I'm having discussions with the management about security since we live here. 2 years ago when we still rented we had a break-in while my son was at home and we were buying dinner. I called security and it took them 1 hour and 30 minutes to find our house! Our new house is just after the guard house of the village, so if it's not an inside job we are not the first house they will try. But often the guards are not there. In our village many people don't pay because security sucks, so on the last meeting of the committee they promised to solve that problem. The solution is that they installed a gate that opens with a key card, people who don't pay will not get a key card! The gate on the back that was open with a guard during the day is now permanently closed saving 1 guard and the guard at the electric gate is not getting of his chair anymore. You know what that means with a Thai..... even more sleep than before!

• Like 1

Sounds characteristic of a premeditated but drunken attack with the broken bottle ready as a weapon.

These are usually attacks spurred by a perceived slur or insult on the attacker or from having

been too friendly with the retard's partner - perhaps inadvertently.

Thai 'guys' get insanely jealous when drunk and of course with most you are dealing with an

incomplete deck of cards - intellectually and emotionally.

Best to confine yourself to your own world - which is just how the Thais like it of course.

• Like 1

OP, is your son mix race? You know half Thai, half western?

He's 100% western, tall and blond his friend is black, also not Thai.

I maybe clutching at straws and probably am but is there any chance you think this attack could be nothing other than drunken jealousy?

My wife is forever telling me that SOME Thais are extremely jealous people and I wonder that if some Thai youths have seen your boy and his buddies around town and have attacked them purely because of their attitudes towards foreigners?

Just cos my wife tells me doesn't mean this is true but teen boys and alcohol coupled with maybe a little or a lot of jealousy, could possibly lead to, IMO, unwarranted attacks on others.

Have you 'googled' attacks on foreigners in Thailand? Some seriously scary reading.

I can understand that an incident like this is very unpleasant and makes you question all sorts of things. The security of your Moo Ban is certainly one that is worth questioning by the sounds of it.

But I would also say keep a bit of perspective. I was assaulted on a busy London street for no apparent reason and with no warning. Another guy I went to school with was "glassed" in a quiet country pub in rural England over a trivial perceived slight.

These sort of events are rare and unpredictable and the best advice as always and everywhere is to keep your wits about you and try and avoid putting yourself in harm's way.

• Like 1

Are you quite sure that the attack was 'for no apparent reason'......?

Nevertheless kids on bikes, late at night are an ever increasing concern on the Eastern Seaboard, and sometimes 'a look' is all it takes.

There is always a chance of mistaken identity too.

Make your mind up if this is really where you want to live.......

Get your son into some self-defence skill training. It will protect him and give him less time for partying too.

He's extremely warned off by my Thai wife and knows very well the chances of people carrying weapons here and will avoid any contact or provocation. I'm very sure they were just biking home, the road is 4 lanes wide there so also no way that 2 bikes blocked the road causing anger. They have both never seen this guy before. Until now we had a reasonable safe impression of the compound area, but apparently it's not.

Security at Eastern Star is completely worthless! If there is a guard at a guardhouse they open the gate for everybody. You can drive in with an empty pickup and drive out with a full one, friendly greeting!

I'm having discussions with the management about security since we live here. 2 years ago when we still rented we had a break-in while my son was at home and we were buying dinner. I called security and it took them 1 hour and 30 minutes to find our house! Our new house is just after the guard house of the village, so if it's not an inside job we are not the first house they will try. But often the guards are not there. In our village many people don't pay because security sucks, so on the last meeting of the committee they promised to solve that problem. The solution is that they installed a gate that opens with a key card, people who don't pay will not get a key card! The gate on the back that was open with a guard during the day is now permanently closed saving 1 guard and the guard at the electric gate is not getting of his chair anymore. You know what that means with a Thai..... even more sleep than before!

The security there really is horrible. I used to rent there and you they never checked anyone coming in or out of the villages. I can understand the main entrance because obviously alot of people come there just to golf but why they don't check people going into the actual housing villages I dont understand.

I would recommend relying on Smith and Wesson for your security. If only for perceptions sake. If indeed they are called upon to protect you, any problems that may arise as a result, imo, are worth the bargain, considering the alternative. Bail is cheap here, regardless of the offense.

There time would be up... at "0" Glock 30, in the Big apple.

These sort of events are rare and unpredictable and the best advice as always and everywhere is to keep your wits about you and try and avoid putting yourself in harm's way.

This really sums it up best.

Even if you doubled or tripled security, in the end there is no guarantee. Perhaps a course in self defense but one would have to get really good against an assailant with a weapon. Chalk it up to bad karma that left.

I would recommend relying on Smith and Wesson for your security. If only for perceptions sake. If indeed they are called upon to protect you, any problems that may arise as a result, imo, are worth the bargain, considering the alternative. Bail is cheap here, regardless of the offense.

What a comment! You have direct experience with that or what? Any reassurances you can give? Are we back to the recent post about killing a burglar?

Excuse the sarcasm, but please keep a jay yen.

• Like 2

I live in the same Moo ban in Eastern Star. I try to not use my keycard but make the guard get off his lazy ar... e and push the button if he is there. We were broken into and robbed about 4 years ago and the guards or the police , for that matter, did nothing but take notes, look disinterested and leave. You story about your son is very disconcerting as I have a 16 year old daughter and she often rides our motorbike home from a friends house (also in Eastern Star) after dark and vice-versa, although one of us usually follows if it is too late. It is an enormous area to police even if they had more guards especially when you consider the golf course. I think that the management is only interested in collecting the money, although I thought our village was now maintained by the residents. is it something that could be brought up at a residents meeting?

Mind you the same thing could happen pretty much anywhere in the world. Look at the major problem with alcohol fuelled violence in Sydney. A 17 year old was recently king hit while on a night out and ended up dying.

I thought that the idea of the auto security gates was so the guard could walk around the compound more often?

Your suggestion is that the next time the OP's 17 year old son goes out at night he tucks a gun into his belt before he leaves?

And that in deciding whether or not to follow this advice the OP should bear in mind that various sensationalist stores on ThaiVisa seem to indicate that bail here is often set lower than one would expect?

Edited by cocopops
  • Like 1

I pay 800 baht a month for a police box. The police come by twice a day and night and sign in. The box being in front of the house has stopped all the problems we have had in the past, works great, even had a traffic ticket fixed my wife got.

I live in the same Moo ban in Eastern Star. I try to not use my keycard but make the guard get off his lazy ar... e and push the button if he is there. We were broken into and robbed about 4 years ago and the guards or the police , for that matter, did nothing but take notes, look disinterested and leave. You story about your son is very disconcerting as I have a 16 year old daughter and she often rides our motorbike home from a friends house (also in Eastern Star) after dark and vice-versa, although one of us usually follows if it is too late. It is an enormous area to police even if they had more guards especially when you consider the golf course. I think that the management is only interested in collecting the money, although I thought our village was now maintained by the residents. is it something that could be brought up at a residents meeting?

Mind you the same thing could happen pretty much anywhere in the world. Look at the major problem with alcohol fuelled violence in Sydney. A 17 year old was recently king hit while on a night out and ended up dying.

I thought that the idea of the auto security gates was so the guard could walk around the compound more often?

Agree that this can happen anywhere in the world, drunk and aggressive people are not limited to Thailand.

We don't have key cards as I refuse to pay the full amount for last years lousy security and shoddy repairs that they have done recently.

As far as I know the village management has not yet been transferred to the committee and if the committee accepted they are raving mad as there is more than 2 million Baht loss and no sinking fund what soever! The accounting is a joke. They try to keep the falang at a distance as we ask questions that they don't want to answer. It will surprise me bit time if security would improve soon.

By the way, we should meet, maybe we can pool on bringing the kids, they might visit the same friends!

I pay 800 baht a month for a police box. The police come by twice a day and night and sign in. The box being in front of the house has stopped all the problems we have had in the past, works great, even had a traffic ticket fixed my wife got.

Opposite our previous rented house they had such a box, the burglars waited for the police to sign and knew they had all the time to empty the place!

• Like 1

I have to wonder if there was a perceived cause. Robbery? Insult? Jealousy?

Thais react as badly as rednecks from my part of the world to these but are often too lazy to just attack someone for fun. That's more a Brit thing.

• Like 1

I have to wonder if there was a perceived cause. Robbery? Insult? Jealousy?

Thais react as badly as rednecks from my part of the world to these but are often too lazy to just attack someone for fun. That's more a Brit thing.

Not likely, they have no interaction with locals, the group of friends he meets with is from the international school, also no Thai girls involved. Like I wrote, he is very well told to stay clear by my wife and he has seen enough examples of how drunk and or jealous Thais behave.

Looks like plain aggression, maybe targeted at foreigners in particular.