Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Let me tell you how it will be

There's one for you, nineteen for me

'Cause I'm the Thaksman, yeah, I'm the Thaksman"

Well I'm a gonna raise a fuss and I'm gonna raise a holler

Bout all em working folks who've marched all the way from Yala

Well I bought all the politicians on the take

But Supthep stepped in and made it too little to late...

Inspiration: Summertime Blues. The Who Live at Leeds

That Land Scandal just wont go away.

Who is on it? surely there must be plots and maps of the land in question. Been very hushed up since the first coup. when they took over the DSI and lately when the PDRC raided the DSI again.

Co-incidence that last 2 coups revolved around this land grab investigation?

Sutheps followers really showing that they do not understand him, and showing they are far from the level oc critical or anylitacl thinking required to move Thailand forward... as they are on Red side as well.

Problem is that the Educated think they are above the poor.... They are not. They think in the same way and have their opinions dictated to them by their masters.

The reform here needs to go way way beyond Thaksin, and well into the Forces and the backers.... Or else.. It's just another Coup and grab for power.

It's a Coup unless you reform the army and courts as well. Any offers from them..... 555555555555555 in your dreams

Two rice farmers in the NE talking:

1: "Do you know what happened in Phuket 20 years ago?"

2: "You've been paid for your rice then!"

Twenty years ago Phuket was a nice place to go...

Nice to know that the people at large are now wise to Thaksin who started out collecting votes behind a facade of a 'Robin Hood' type character, and exposed himself to be no more than a 'Robbin Bastard'.

Which might I add, has become endemic within the Shin clan and their rank and file.

• Like 2

Looking back to the time when Thaksin first appeared in court charge with concealing assets and was acquitted by a majority of one vote, the judge whose vote was credited with achieving the majority was quoted as saying he believed Thaksin was guilty but because he was PM decided to give him a chance.

I have no idea where that judge is now or even if he's still alive but I wonder if he ever looked back in later years and considered what his vote had meant to the country.

As I recall, some years later there was a review of that decision, and four out of five of the judges were removed from office...!

• Like 2

What I can't quite understand are the references to 'claims' and 'allegations' of corruption by Thaksin. He has already been found guilty...!!

Exactly what I was thinking as I read the article.

I wish the media would stop giving time to Thaksin's lawyer, they hang on his every word like he really is somebody important.

• Like 2

Looking back to the time when Thaksin first appeared in court charge with concealing assets and was acquitted by a majority of one vote, the judge whose vote was credited with achieving the majority was quoted as saying he believed Thaksin was guilty but because he was PM decided to give him a chance.

I have no idea where that judge is now or even if he's still alive but I wonder if he ever looked back in later years and considered what his vote had meant to the country.

As I recall, some years later there was a review of that decision, and four out of five of the judges were removed from office...!

Great, thanks for that and interesting to know,

Thailand endures a complex relationship with corruption characterised by weak governance, opaque webs of political patronage and an expectation of under-the-table payments to get things done.

Demonstrators trying to rid the country of Thaksin's influence by ousting the government led by his sister Yingluck Shinawatra believe he has broken the kingdom's tacit contract with graft, says political commentator Voranai Vanijaka of the Bangkok Post.

"Thai people are quite pragmatic... we understand that everybody takes a little bite of the apple," he told AFP.

"The problem with Thaksin is that he put a sign on the whole apple tree saying 'property of the Shinawatra family'... that's dangerous to do here."

And herein lies the entire problem facing Thailand.

It will be a problem never resolved when it's the level of corruption that is tolerated, not that there is corruption. Who determines when that level is OK, or OTT? Who should be the beneficiaries of the corruption? Everyone, or just those who feel entitled?

Like everything here, there is supposedly a rule book, or laws, but they are subject to interpretation, and that interpretation depends on who you are, or how much you pay, (to ignore them). It's cultural, it's feudal. Unfortunately the country cannot progress unless it is addressed, which is very sad.

Thailand is a fantastic place, but consider how much more fantastic it could be.

There will always be corruption in any country, but start with the concept that it is illegal; start with observance and enforcement of the rule of law, for everyone, equally.

"I have a dream..."

It basically means that it is admitted that a politician is always under someone's thumb.

No wonder there is no principle in thailand when everyone is bent.

It's their culture to have the big man... which is why so many can't understand the politics here.

If this (together with the silly letter to Obama) is to be part of the international campaign to explain why Thaksin is no good, they can forget it. It won't work. No one in the west wants to hear: "this is Thailand, yes we are corrupt but that nasty guy just stole too much". That will be greeting with the derision it deserves.

The campaign needs to be: too much, NO more. Quite simple. How to achieve it..another matter entirely

"The campaign needs to be: too much, NO more. Quite simple. How to achieve it..another matter entirely"

Forgive me if I'm oversimplifying your point, but isn't that exactly what's going on right now...?

• Like 2

Corruption is endemic and institutionalized here, with or without Thaksin's involvement, and backed by some very big players. Thaksin and his cronies are corrupt, but consider this:

Do people really believe that Thaksin is solely responsible for all the corruption that Thailand suffers and endures, or that his brand of corruption is an worse or any different than that of the other leeches who have been bleeding the people of Thailand dry for so long?

Do people really believe that the Thaksin's influence is wholly responsible for the day to day corruption perpetrated by the back street gangsters and mafia bosses where I live.

Where I work, the local cops get paid of by the bloke who sells copy DVD's outside 7/11, the street vendors pay off the market inspectors and the local money lender operates in plain view. Who's responsible for that? Thaksin?

People have short memories. The past and recent history of Thailand's corruption - political or otherwise - is littered with cases: The Klong Dam project, the Hopewell project and the Klong Chan Credit Union scandals to name but a few.

Politics in Thailand is a business opportunity, plain and simple.

When the Thaksin influence finally dissipates, you can bet with 100% certainty that there will be others - the usual suspects? - who will pick up the pieces and carry on as they have always done.

I agree arthurboy. And sadly, I don't think this so-called Reform Movement will address any of the issues effectively. I do not anticipate seeing any change in the way things are run and done in Thailand in my lifetime, or within the lifespan of my children, (if I had any).

Like I said, "I have a dream...".

But, I have to applaud any attempt to at least recognise that the issue of corruption is a severe problem for the future growth of this country. Implementation is quite another matter, but in the last 10 years that I have lived here there has been a seismic change in attitude by Thais as to how they want to live their lives. Whether that attitude can make palpable changes is open to question, but the status quo ante ship has sailed.

It will be a bumpy ride for the next 50 years.

• Like 1

If this (together with the silly letter to Obama) is to be part of the international campaign to explain why Thaksin is no good, they can forget it. It won't work. No one in the west wants to hear: "this is Thailand, yes we are corrupt but that nasty guy just stole too much". That will be greeting with the derision it deserves.

The campaign needs to be: too much, NO more. Quite simple. How to achieve it..another matter entirely

"The campaign needs to be: too much, NO more. Quite simple. How to achieve it..another matter entirely"

Forgive me if I'm oversimplifying your point, but isn't that exactly what's going on right now...?

No, I don't believe so. I cannot imagine that a campaign, already announced, to explain why Thaksin is "toxic" will be given any credibility if part of the explanation includes the idea that a bit of corruption is culturally acceptable/normal. The whole focus has been on Thaksin...that is a huge and fundamental mistake, IMHO

• Like 2