• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have a look at sutheps history as far as corruption goes

he seems to be a very wealthy man who profited billions due to

a palm oil shortage when he was in charge of that and on another

occasion he was responsible for allocating land to the poor and ended up

giving it to his wealthy friends

sure ,thaksin scammed more $$$ but he had more opportunies as he was king of the castle

for longer ,suthep might have scammed as much or maybe more if he was in thaksins position

for that many years

suthep is more trustable because he scammed less billions from the taxpayer

so he should be the new leader ??

he seems to be a very wealthy man who profited billions due to

a palm oil shortage when he was in charge of that and on another

occasion he was responsible for allocating land to the poor and ended up

giving it to his wealthy friends

If you gave real evidence of Suthep's guilt, you should bring it to the authorities, I'm sure the Yingluck/(Thaksin) government would love to see it. As far as I know, Suthep has never been charged with those crimes so why do you bring it up? (to distract form the current government's corruption?) Thaksin was charged and convicted and chose not to contest his conviction, even though he had won most court cases against himself before. That tells me he knew he was guilty.

BTW Maybe you haven't got the message. Suthep will not be part of any reform committee nor will he hold any political office once this corrupt government resigns.

Google it or go back and newsapers if you dont belive ,there are many sources of information regarding the whole afair ,yinluck is not in any position to talk about corruption or accuse anyone without it blowing back 100 fold on her but that doesnt prove sutheps is not bent and most crimes have by both of them have went "unproved"

thaksin ordered a shitload of murders without trials in 2002 did he not ? and nobody has ever charged him with that so get your "evidence "

before asking me for mine smile.png

thaksin ordered a shitload of murders without trials in 2002 did he not ?

If you believe that, why do you keep trying to put Suthep in he same category as a mass murderer? Why are you trying to make them morally equivalent? Why are you still taking Thaksin's side?

you should rather careful what you say here about the "War on Drugs"- you are opening a can of worms! Google is your friend!

Give you another hint - 2500 dead was nothing it was meant to be 60.000 - yes I recall that was the number desired so the land can rise!

And by the way the disgusting War on Drugs was incredibly popular with a majority of Thais and especially the "educated" Bangkok crowd who where in favor of eradicating this human garbage who poisoned their children - how naive if one knows it was only a re-distribution of the lucrative multi-billion drug market driving up prices and elimination of witnesses.

• Like 1

you should rather careful what you say here about the "War on Drugs"- you are opening a can of worms! Google is your friend!

Give you another hint - 2500 dead was nothing it was meant to be 60.000 - yes I recall that was the number desired so the land can rise!

And by the way the disgusting War on Drugs was incredibly popular with a majority of Thais and especially the "educated" Bangkok crowd who where in favor of eradicating this human garbage who poisoned their children - how naive if one knows it was only a re-distribution of the lucrative multi-billion drug market driving up prices and elimination of witnesses.

The war on drugs is a perfect example of why we need reforms ASAP. Have you ever heard the expression "responsible government"? It refers to a government that gives the country what it NEEDS and can AFFORD, even if it isn't popular. Wild-arsed policies without proper accounting or consideration of their effects, but which appeal to the "great unwashed", don't advance a nation, they lead into moral and financial quagmires that slow advance for decades.

What sort of moral midget proposes killing thousands of his countrymen? What sort of hero of the masses then claims it wasn't me, I had nothing to do with it? The same sort who will have no qualms about stealing from the people he leads, and implementing ruinous policies that appeal to their greed to keep his grip on power.

• Like 1

The war on drugs is a perfect example of why we need reforms ASAP. Have you ever heard the expression "responsible government"? It refers to a government that gives the country what it NEEDS and can AFFORD, even if it isn't popular. Wild-arsed policies without proper accounting or consideration of their effects, but which appeal to the "great unwashed", don't advance a nation, they lead into moral and financial quagmires that slow advance for decades.

What sort of moral midget proposes killing thousands of his countrymen? What sort of hero of the masses then claims it wasn't me, I had nothing to do with it? The same sort who will have no qualms about stealing from the people he leads, and implementing ruinous policies that appeal to their greed to keep his grip on power.

"What sort of moral midget proposes killing thousands of his countrymen"?.............."if we execute 60,000 the land will rise" told you google is your friend!..............

That Land Scandal just wont go away.

Who is on it? surely there must be plots and maps of the land in question. Been very hushed up since the first coup. when they took over the DSI and lately when the PDRC raided the DSI again.

Co-incidence that last 2 coups revolved around this land grab investigation?

Sutheps followers really showing that they do not understand him, and showing they are far from the level oc critical or anylitacl thinking required to move Thailand forward... as they are on Red side as well.

Problem is that the Educated think they are above the poor.... They are not. They think in the same way and have their opinions dictated to them by their masters.

The reform here needs to go way way beyond Thaksin, and well into the Forces and the backers.... Or else.. It's just another Coup and grab for power.

It's a Coup unless you reform the army and courts as well. Any offers from them..... 555555555555555 in your dreams

Very true but I haven't seen anything by the PTP government about reform of the courts or the army. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe they just cant do that. They have however sided with the army over the deaths in 2010. Despite all the evidence so far suggesting that the deaths so far investigated were caused by the army not following the ROE rather than being ordered by Abhisit and Suthep the army have an amnesty (in law I believe) and Tarit said the army wouldn't be investigated. So the PTP are as much puppets of the military as the Dems were alleged to be.

It seems to me the big worry is not about the reform of the Army but who will have the authority to appoint Gen Prayuth's successor in just nine months time. This will be Thailand's turning point. Democracy depends on this critical appointment. The military is holding the country together at the moment. If Gen Santhi Boonyaratgalin had not staged a coup democracy would be long gone. The term "President for Life" springs ti mind.

"What sort of moral midget proposes killing thousands of his countrymen"?.............."if we execute 60,000 the land will rise" told you google is your friend!..............

It surprises you that there are more than one?

Thaksin has been convicted for fraud, chose to flee and become a fugitive from justice rather than appeal and fight the conviction. There are numerous outstanding serious criminal charges for which some warrants have already been issued. Thaksin chooses not to fight these in the courts, The HR issues regarding his war on drugs and the Tae Bak massacre may also yet come back to haunt him.

His sister's government's response - illegally issue a new Thai passport to him, via his cousin the foreign minister, and refuse for over 2 years to answer the Ombudsman's questions or comment on it, openly meet with him and take advice from him, and then try to ram a blanket amnesty whitewash for him through parliament by cheating the parliamentary procedures. During this time his personal wealth has increased 450%

Hard to see how anyone, in the West or anywhere really, could take these corruption claims seriously. whistling.gif

Many people are of the opinion that Thaksin was "Made" mafia-style in a highly questionable international group with many powerful Western figures, and he was "made" before he actually became PM. And that senior membership is this group assures he will always have freedom of travel and freedom from prison, and access to funds should he need. And the thing about mafia-type groups, you join them for life, its a one-way deal. The fact he is able to travel around the world without being arrested, despite his fugitive from justice status, and also while hopefully pending trial on ordering the deaths of 2500 people (which the global community would otherwise always treat as a high-category crime) is exhibit A in this argument. My personal belief is that his "corruption" is far deeper than plundering the Thai State fund, nepotism etc. I consider him an agent of intentional destabilisation, and allied to some of the most destructive warmongering individuals on Earth.

Re; the points in this thread about background corruption in Thai society, I always believe that people subconsciously emulate their leaders, this is a psychological trait we learn in School. Teacher knows best. And so long as Thai State figures (from any party), religious leaders, police, etc. are engaged in macro-corruption, people will continue to see it as acceptable on a subconscious level. This can be changed, but it is an almost glacial process that takes many decades/centuries. I don't agree with some people who say basically 'Thais are corrupt' like its a natural DNA component, Thai people have just lived with corrupt leaders and personal hardship for so long it has morphed into a sort of subconscious idea that "to get to the top <like our corrupt leaders have done> one must engage in corruption." This ignores the fact that most of the leaders didn't 'get to the top', they were most often destined and groomed for it one way or another, and their corruption is secondary to their already privileged position.

Well, ... as we all knew, these protests have nothing to do with "reforms".

It is just about the hate for only one man.

What is a pity is that many people, Suthep and Abhisit in the front line, do not hesitate to destroy democracy, only because of their hate.

Totally irrational... xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

Total rubbish from your red addled self as usual.

They have everything to do with reforms and they can't happen whilst your dearly beloved leader fugitive skiing on the sand dunes has any power here as he won't allow them to because he wants to keep robbing the country blind as he has done continually for much of the last 10 years....

The only people destroping democracy are Taksin and the Please Taksin party...

Yes, they are totally irrational, much like yourself...

But even so... Not one person is able to explain what "reform" means and what will be done once democracy has been replaced by an unelected "council"...

Yellow supporters of Suthep are just dreamers... provoking a nightmare in the country >_>

Hopefully the majority does not accept to destroy democracy :rolleyes:

Apart to fight against only one man (and a woman PM), the rest is just fabricated.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For the past 3 days, if anyone had been in Chiang Rai, they would have heard the Red Shirts shouting in microphones from the backs of flatbed trucks. Three trucks, 30 meters apart. The first truck had a recording on a tape loop (T's voice?). The 2nd truck had a shouting, nearly screaming woman, 3rd truck had a shouting man. All so loud, it shook windows. That's the face of Red Shirts, Thaksin's shock troops. It's probably on-going, as long as anti-T protests are going on in Bkk.

Thailand endures a complex relationship with corruption characterised by weak governance, opaque webs of political patronage and an expectation of under-the-table payments to get things done.

Demonstrators trying to rid the country of Thaksin's influence by ousting the government led by his sister Yingluck Shinawatra believe he has broken the kingdom's tacit contract with graft, says political commentator Voranai Vanijaka of the Bangkok Post.

"Thai people are quite pragmatic... we understand that everybody takes a little bite of the apple," he told AFP.

"The problem with Thaksin is that he put a sign on the whole apple tree saying 'property of the Shinawatra family'... that's dangerous to do here."

And herein lies the entire problem facing Thailand.

It will be a problem never resolved when it's the level of corruption that is tolerated, not that there is corruption. Who determines when that level is OK, or OTT? Who should be the beneficiaries of the corruption? Everyone, or just those who feel entitled?

Like everything here, there is supposedly a rule book, or laws, but they are subject to interpretation, and that interpretation depends on who you are, or how much you pay, (to ignore them). It's cultural, it's feudal. Unfortunately the country cannot progress unless it is addressed, which is very sad.

Thailand is a fantastic place, but consider how much more fantastic it could be.

There will always be corruption in any country, but start with the concept that it is illegal; start with observance and enforcement of the rule of law, for everyone, equally.

"I have a dream..."

Why would it be MUCH more fantastic.I thought middle class farangs love corruption,they drink and drive,and the few brain cells they have left,think they can buy themselves out of trouble.

Drive without a crash helmet,one gets 400 baht fine,some say, 200 if its offered to khun policeman.Even beating someon to a pulp can be addresses with a big envelope.Drive bike on pavement,up and down the soi,the wrong way,do i need to go on.Corruption is endemic in Thailand whether red, yellow or pink

Most of what you are referring to is more about a lack of social development; however, it is extremely relevant, since social development (through proper education) will get people to see things differently.

What I'm saying is that many of the problems we are seeing here begin at a very early age. Sort out the education, and you may find that the problem of corruption within society is effectively reduced (although it can never be totally eradicated...!).

Looking back to the time when Thaksin first appeared in court charge with concealing assets and was acquitted by a majority of one vote, the judge whose vote was credited with achieving the majority was quoted as saying he believed Thaksin was guilty but because he was PM decided to give him a chance.

I have no idea where that judge is now or even if he's still alive but I wonder if he ever looked back in later years and considered what his vote had meant to the country.

A couple of years later, the judge's son got a scholarship to an English university c/o Thaksin

Thanks very much for that update. says so much doesn't it ans why am I not surprised ?

We have to wonder what things might have been like if he had done his sworn duty and voted as per the law.

• Like 1

What is a pity is that many people, Suthep and Abhisit in the front line, do not hesitate to destroy democracy, only because of their hate.

And these protests only started because of PTP's love of, and pandering to that same man.

Thailand endures a complex relationship with corruption characterised by weak governance, opaque webs of political patronage and an expectation of under-the-table payments to get things done.

Demonstrators trying to rid the country of Thaksin's influence by ousting the government led by his sister Yingluck Shinawatra believe he has broken the kingdom's tacit contract with graft, says political commentator Voranai Vanijaka of the Bangkok Post.

"Thai people are quite pragmatic... we understand that everybody takes a little bite of the apple," he told AFP.

"The problem with Thaksin is that he put a sign on the whole apple tree saying 'property of the Shinawatra family'... that's dangerous to do here."

And herein lies the entire problem facing Thailand.

It will be a problem never resolved when it's the level of corruption that is tolerated, not that there is corruption. Who determines when that level is OK, or OTT? Who should be the beneficiaries of the corruption? Everyone, or just those who feel entitled?

Like everything here, there is supposedly a rule book, or laws, but they are subject to interpretation, and that interpretation depends on who you are, or how much you pay, (to ignore them). It's cultural, it's feudal. Unfortunately the country cannot progress unless it is addressed, which is very sad.

Thailand is a fantastic place, but consider how much more fantastic it could be.

There will always be corruption in any country, but start with the concept that it is illegal; start with observance and enforcement of the rule of law, for everyone, equally.

"I have a dream..."

Why would it be MUCH more fantastic.I thought middle class farangs love corruption,they drink and drive,and the few brain cells they have left,think they can buy themselves out of trouble.

Drive without a crash helmet,one gets 400 baht fine,some say, 200 if its offered to khun policeman.Even beating someon to a pulp can be addresses with a big envelope.Drive bike on pavement,up and down the soi,the wrong way,do i need to go on.Corruption is endemic in Thailand whether red, yellow or pink

I'm clearly not middle class then.

Thanks for your help.

What I can't quite understand are the references to 'claims' and 'allegations' of corruption by Thaksin. He has already been found guilty...!!

Not to mention references to the allegations that PTP is his puppet, they campaigned that they were his puppet. What about making his criminal sentence sound like a domestic issue with his wife? AFP's articles make me think they are accepting bribes from Thaksin.

And these protests only started because of PTP's love of, and pandering to that same man.

Love on one side, hatred on the other...

Democracy on one side, unelected "dictatorship" on the other...

Peaceful candle lighting on one side, armed yellow thugs on the other...

Appeal for dialogue on one side, ultimatums on the other...

Majority on one side, minority on the other...

Respect on one side, profound disrespect on the other...

Yingluck on one side, Suthep on the other...

I know which side is mine :)

If this (together with the silly letter to Obama) is to be part of the international campaign to explain why Thaksin is no good, they can forget it. It won't work. No one in the west wants to hear: "this is Thailand, yes we are corrupt but that nasty guy just stole too much". That will be greeting with the derision it deserves.

The campaign needs to be: too much, NO more. Quite simple. How to achieve it..another matter entirely

"The campaign needs to be: too much, NO more. Quite simple. How to achieve it..another matter entirely"

Forgive me if I'm oversimplifying your point, but isn't that exactly what's going on right now...?

No, I don't believe so. I cannot imagine that a campaign, already announced, to explain why Thaksin is "toxic" will be given any credibility if part of the explanation includes the idea that a bit of corruption is culturally acceptable/normal. The whole focus has been on Thaksin...that is a huge and fundamental mistake, IMHO

I don't think that those people who are involved in the current protests are being given the credit they deserve.

There has been a great deal written recently, much of it in the foreign press, about the way that Thaksin has changed the rules to suit himself. In the past, similarly corrupt politicians took their share, but then withdrew to allow the next line of pigs to visit the trough.

What Thaksin has done, as a previous poster so eloquently put it, was not to simply take a bite out of the apple and then move on, but to put a sign on the apple tree stating "No trespassing. Private Property of the Shinawatra Family". That is exactly the reason why the focus remains on Thaksin...!!

Several surveys over recent years revealed, quite astonishingly, that almost half of the population of Thailand believed that corruption was acceptable, as long as it didn't directly affect them. I suggest that if a similar survey was carried out today, the results would be quite different.

Those people that are out on the streets today have recognised just what corruption can do to a country - stockpiles of rice (with farmers left unpaid), the CPI going through the roof (prices of basic necessities rising by over 10% per annum), millions of people being affected by regular flooding (and nothing to show for the Thb 350 billion that was supposed to have been spent on flood protection), underhanded attempts to dispose of all government checks and balances (trying to force through the election of all Senators) ... need I go on...?

As I stated in a previous post, this entire thread is very misleading, in terms of both the headline and the report. The words "claims" and "allegations" run throughout the story, but Thaksin has already been convicted and sentenced for some of his corrupt activities (with many more to follow if he ever sets foot on Thai soil again). How can anyone use terms such as "claims" or "allegations" when referring to the proven corruptness of this person? Thaksin is a cancer which has to be excised if this country is to avoid becoming another Philippines.

The people that are out on the streets today are there because they have had enough, not because they are being paid, and certainly not because they are blind, faithful followers of Suthep. They started this, not Suthep, and when they have won the battle, any attempt by Suthep to take over where Thaksin left off will be dealt with very swiftly.

I personally believe that we are witnessing a defining moment in Thailand's history, and IF the police decide to start doing their job, the purpose can be achieved without spiralling into civil war. There is no doubt in my mind that the Shin clan will be running for the hills within the next few weeks, and at that stage, the police had better start doing their job, because the Red Shirt hordes have no understanding of moderation, so observers like us will need to keep a very low profile.

When the dust has settled, I would like to see some honourable people stepping up to take over the reins, starting with Apirak. You will recall that he did the honourable thing by resigning from his position as Governor when he was being accused of corruption, and the accusations were subsequently found to be groundless. If they can find more of his ilk (and I still believe that Abhisit is one of those) then this country has a chance of moving forward.

Agreed, in fact there are many Thais who are honest, sincere, highly capable, well aware of what constitutes a civil society, and very supporting of building a society which generates a good quality of life for all who are not currently seen in Thai politics / Thai politic parties.

This is for a very simple reason; they don't want to be associated with any of the current parties, all of whom have baggage; some small baggage, some enormous baggage.

You mention apirak and abhisit and I would add Khun Korn, and there are more.

One possibility which I hope happens is that the current protest movement eventually morphs into a party which lots of capable, honest and sincere members.

Another angle, the current reds vs yellows is taking Thailand nowhere and probably never will.

Reform before the next elections!

Different point, where is the paymaster? A few months ago no hesitation for him or his ilk to state publically about the Skype calls / we can call him anytime by phone.

Just curious to know what's happening in the offshore board room of the 'get very rich very quickly club'.

No doubt there would be furious activities, but of course not likely to be publicized.

Another point, just wondering when madam will spit the dummy.

Edited by scorecard

There is not going to be any reform, unless it's forced. The people who can make the tangible steps toward reform (politicians and businessmen, police chiefs, U heads, army, ....essentially anyone in positions of power) are the people who are most benefitting from the keeping the status quo. Oh sure, if you talked to them, they'd say, "yes, we need to clean things up." ....but it's all in regards to others (particularly adversaries), not to themselves.

The most Thailand will be able to achieve is little baby steps toward reform. Whereas the most likely scenario to come out of the current impasse, is power-politics as usual, along with all the warts of corruption that the Thai people have become inured to.

How much good did the recent symposium with Tony Blair do? No offense to Blair, but nothing at all changed, except Blair got some free dinners/hotel rooms and Ms Yingluck got some photo ops. Mr. Anan probably saw that nothing would come of it, and declined an invitation. You can't get a tiger to change its stripes.