Robbed on the bus - tourist police do nothing

simon43

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Publicity and accountability are what the crooks are afraid of and which benefits the people who are fair to others.

Fear to say out loud what is wrong, is the reason why the bad apples has been able to flourish in Thailand and especially in Phuket for so long.

Sometimes the only way to alter what is happening, is to make an international (internet) buzz out of it. The way, which Krabi rape case showed earlier.

These robberies have been going on for 20+ years on the tourist buses all over the country, especially to and from the Gulf islands. And yes, for some reason police are not interested at all, except if the victims can prevent the bus from leaving, which happens once in a while.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unless there is more information you are leaving out, this was theft, not a robbery. There is a big difference. As a police volunteer you should know that.

Why were they left on the side of the road in Phang Na if they had paid for a trip to Phuket?

What exactly did you expect the tourist police, or any police, to do about a simple theft? Procedure is to report it at the local police station. Did they explain that they were stranded on the side of the road? I don't believe the person at 1155 would have left them stranded on the side of the road had they known that. If they have become unable to support themselves then at a minimum they should have provided the number to the German embassy. Tp are not a free taxi service.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

When my bike was stolen in east Pattaya, the police would not even agree to write a police report. They would only say wait until Officer X comes to the office. We went back five hours later and they finally agreed to write up a report. The report fee was 20 baht smile.png

They never came to where the bikes were stolen, even though we gave them a CCTV video of the theft.

I later talked to a couple of police volunteers, asking them for advice in how to proceed. Their answers we almost identical, as in "Haha, hoho mate happens all the time, nothing to be done really..."

Lesson learned, Thailand is OK- until you have a problem. Then you can find yourself very alone with little recourse for justice.

Just my personal experience. Not hearsay smile.png

Hence why most people have and will continue to resort to corruption.... pay the BIB a few 1000 and get something done, that said I am truly suprised we dont have a LOT more vigilante justice here

Here in Pattaya the Tourist Police (Thai) wanted to charge a friend of mine 2,500 baht for taking a complaint and making a report. Don't know if this is general behaviour or an exception

• Like 1

Unless there is more information you are leaving out, this was theft, not a robbery. There is a big difference. As a police volunteer you should know that.

Why were they left on the side of the road in Phang Na if they had paid for a trip to Phuket?

What exactly did you expect the tourist police, or any police, to do about a simple theft? Procedure is to report it at the local police station. Did they explain that they were stranded on the side of the road? I don't believe the person at 1155 would have left them stranded on the side of the road had they known that. If they have become unable to support themselves then at a minimum they should have provided the number to the German embassy. Tp are not a free taxi service.

I cannot believe you said this looks to me it's the total contradiction of how a police man should think

• Like 1

Below is some information that I pass on to guests, that have booked at my resort.

When using public transport (trains, buses, vans etc), do not leave any valuables in the luggage you have stored out of your sight.
Please keep anything you value, with you, and protect it.

• Like 2

I cannot believe you said this looks to me it's the total contradiction of how a police man should think

I agree, if we are talking about a western policeman. Thai police are not police in the sense that most of us think. They are not public servants, they are entrepreneurs.

• Like 2

The 'victims' spoke directly to the TP using a mobile phone lent to them by a Thai.

Neither I nor the victims expected the police to search the bus passengers. But a check of the bus and brief questioning of the driver and co-driver would be in order, at least to enable the writing of the police report, (which of course, was not done).

This thread is ridiculous.

That makes you part of the problem with Phuket, and why many foreign visitors urge others not to visit the island....

Simon

• Like 2

The 'victims' spoke directly to the TP using a mobile phone lent to them by a Thai.

Neither I nor the victims expected the police to search the bus passengers. But a check of the bus and brief questioning of the driver and co-driver would be in order, at least to enable the writing of the police report, (which of course, was not done).

This thread is ridiculous.

That makes you part of the problem with Phuket, and why many foreign visitors urge others not to visit the island....

Simon

I am sorry Simon, I just don't understand how you can think that a person losing their wallet warrants the detainment of a bus load of people. That would not happen anywhere in the world, especially here.

I used to think you knew something about policing in Thailand, or in general for that matter. Now I don't think you have a background in law enforcement at all. I think that you aren't thinking clearly about this and your emotions are clouding your judgement, same with several other peoples comments. A police report for a lost or stolen wallet can and will be made when the "victims" follow proper procedure as every other Thai and tourist would need to do and visits the nearist Royal Thai Police station, not the Tourist Police (who are part of the Sports and Tourism Ministry), and not the Highway Police (which are part of the Transport Dept.)

It would be nice if the tourists could have gotten a little bit for help when calling "Your First Friend" but I am not sure what else you expect be done for someone that loses their wallet. When I had mine stolen from my house in a burglary, the police didn't come out either. I only filled out a police report in the station.

• Like 2

Here in Pattaya the Tourist Police (Thai) wanted to charge a friend of mine 2,500 baht for taking a complaint and making a report. Don't know if this is general behaviour or an exception

4000 bt in Krabi ,when a neighbour had his bike stolen. Landlady made some enquiries ,found the 18yr old local thief , who claimed he had sold the bike on for 10,000 . His family wanted nothing to do with it as he was considered an adult. Police not interested in tracing the bike,as there was nothing in it for them .

Nett result ...neighbour loses bike,thief gets a talking to and crime prevails.

It's when "mai pen rai" translates as "shit happens".

Edited by mancub
  • Like 2

NomadJoe - stop trying to make excuses for the Thai police!

These tourists were passengers on a bus from Samui to Phuket. As they were stowing their luggage into the bus in Samui, the co-driver stood right behind the male tourist who had his wallet in his back pocket (not an ideal location). After getting onto the bus, the tourist realised some time later during the journey that his wallet was missing.

Yes, this was technically theft, (as opposed to highway robbery), but let's not quibble about semantics.

The passengers got off the bus at the north Phuket bus stop, right by the Highway police station and tried to stop the bus from leaving. The police officer at the highway police station refused to hold the bus with the co-driver. At least they could have quickly searched the vehicle for the wallet.

A good samaritan Thai called 1155 on his mobile phone, but the tourist police on 1155 refused to help at all.

NomadJoe, I believe you are also a TPV and you shoulld be ashamed of yoiur attitude! If only the TP would get off their lazy backsides and LOOK AFTER our tourists, and treat what you call as a simple theft with the seriousness that it rightly deserves, then maybe tourists would start to sing the praises of the police.

As you say, the TP are not a free taxi service, but thank heavens that there are good Thai people who do provide this service when tourists are in distress.

IMHO, the TPVs and TPs and Royal Thai Police should treat ALL crimes against tourists with the utmost priority, whether it be a simple theft or a more serious crime. You should not dismiss a crime just because you consider the amount lost to be too small, or the chances or making an arrest low etc.

Simon

PS - Maybe you think my attitude rather strange, but I run a service business (hotels), and I understand that the customer is ALWAYS right, (even when they are idiots). The tourists are 'customers' of the TP. Look after your customers and your reputation will greatly improve. Treat your customers with disdain and you will surely reap your just rewards.......

Could it be that he simply dropped it?

(Nicking it at the start of the journey doesn't ring true!)

• Like 2

I agree, if we are talking about a western policeman. Thai police are not police in the sense that most of us think. They are not public servants, they are entrepreneurs.

Well stated Joe, here in Thailand the general public have no time for a policeman, they are treated with suspicion and to be avoided. I well remember in my early days here in Thailand I was driving my car, could not find a street, noticed a policeman so stopped to ask directions. My then girl friend thought I was mad. I found out why, the first thing the policeman did was ask for my documents and then searched my car. All was in order and then when he could not make any money he walked away in disgust.

• Like 2

I get the feeling (and correct me if im wrong, Simon), that Simon isnt just saying the TP should have done something about the theft, but could have been more helpful to the couple. I would like to think that the policeman had asked them if they had their accomodation already and important things like do you have back up money etc.
Yes, it IS rather blindsighted to do something stupid like leave your wallet in your back pocket etc..but these things do happen. As a young couple this holiday may have cost them the earth (in terms of their earnings), and the 8k be everything they have.
The point is, that it isnt fair to leave a young couple stranded in a new country, without finding out if they will be ok. Maybe that isnt the TP's job, maybe they need help from their consulate, but TP should guide them. Even if not his job, surely out of some form of empathy. Most of us have been in situations we could kick ourselves over, but you always hope someone will help...and return the favour one day for someone else. Pay-it-forward/good karma..and basic kindness.

• Like 1