Deans call for a provisional govt to be set up

webfact

Look Chaps; anyone can run this country and win a landslide victory. All you have to do is offer the Farmers 20,000 Baht a ton for their rice and you will be in by tomorrow morning.

Of course; the country will be bankrupt in a year or two but everyone in it will be as happy as pigs in shit because this is the place where people are ONLY happy when the dosh is in their personal pockets. No Thai gives a Rats arse for the economic outlook of their country or how it is seen by the outside world. If you think i'm joking just ask a few and see what reaction you get. Try asking what they think about corruption and most will tell you it's ok but they wish they could get their hands on more of the money that is being stolen.

All these so called 'academics' are only out for what they can get by backing one corrupt side or the other....in other words it's all bullshit.

• Like 1

What do the deans think the difference is between a "provisional government that wins acceptance from all sides" and an election? Their comments are preposterous and this is thought leadership teaching Thai future.

Actually it isn't preposterous. You have clearly misunderstood.

The difference is that they are appointed by mutual agreement from each constituency, rather than elected by a majority. That is a clear difference.

It is actually a way of appointing an emergency government that is as close as possible to what everyone is happy with on a temporary basis to fill the political void.

There would be arguments, but it would end up a mixture of who red shirts want from the north to act of their behalf and what people from the south want to represent their interests, instead of a steamroller government forced into power by one set of idealists.

This is not an uncommon form of government in these circumstances.

Can you give an example of a country that has adopted this system?

Hong Kong has functional constituencies, e.g. finance sector etc. Hong Kong seems to function better than Thailand.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One of the aspects of this whole sorry mess that annoys me most is that these ridiculous people who call themselves academics allow themselves to be stooges for the Ruling Elite. The government would happily agree to the postponement of the election if the opposition would agree to a) not disrupt the rescheduled date and cool.png ideally participate in it. What these pseudo academics really mean is cancel the election permanently and establish Suthep's peoples council with a couple of farmers on it to appease the masses. Academia in this country is intellectually bankrupt - hardly surprising as many of them bribed their way into university in the first place.

With your outlook on Thai doctors I presume you won't be seeking treatment in a Thai hospital if required.

Sad really, there are some excellent doctors at Sirirat, Chula and Ramatibodi hospitals.

There is nothing wrong with his outlook on the named thai doctors. Whilst I would accept them to provide treatment if required one doesn't have to accept their political views. Likewise I would not let a Thai politician operate on me.

What do the deans think the difference is between a "provisional government that wins acceptance from all sides" and an election? Their comments are preposterous and this is thought leadership teaching Thai future.

The difference is that they are appointed by mutual agreement from each constituency, rather than elected by a majority. That is a clear difference.

It is actually a way of appointing an emergency government that is as close as possible to what everyone is happy with on a temporary basis to fill the political void.

There would be arguments, but it would end up a mixture of who red shirts want from the north to act of their behalf and what people from the south want to represent their interests, instead of a steamroller government forced into power by one set of idealists.

Hong Kong has functional constituencies, e.g. finance sector etc. Hong Kong seems to function better than Thailand.

So you're suggesting that it would be a good idea for "politicians" from Thailand to look after internal affairs, yet be dependant on another country, such as China, which would be responsible for Thailands defence and foreign affairs.

I'm sure the Thai Army would love that, think of the budget they would get, and all those Armed Forces Parades...................

Basically, you haven't really thought this through, have you?

Hong Kong suits China's espionage, foreign policy and financial needs at the moment. The day Hong Kong ceases to be of use is the day a few hundred thousand peasants are sent in to take over people's homes. Hong Kong is not an appropriate example, particularly as it is a part of China.

Does anyone else look at this and see a form of arrogance? This Thai idea that you can have all of these flexible constructs. The law, the government, etc. 'We can break laws sometimes if we deem it necessary' .. 'We can come up with a new system of government that isn't used/ hasn't been successful anywhere else in the world.' All of this on the fly thinking, why do they think they can pull it off?

The deans need to have their heads examined.

All the intelligent professions are against this government.

However I see one redshirt headmaster in Ayutthaya has forced all his pupils to march on a pro-government rally. That's a bit sick don't you think?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's part of the Thai establishment pecking order system. They buy their seats and grades or return favors for seats and grades.

How offensive! I would love to know just how many of the Deans have achieved Qualifications both in Thailand and Overseas. I would hazard a guess and say all of them.

NOISOME Noitom !

Does anyone else look at this and see a form of arrogance? This Thai idea that you can have all of these flexible constructs. The law, the government, etc. 'We can break laws sometimes if we deem it necessary' .. 'We can come up with a new system of government that isn't used/ hasn't been successful anywhere else in the world.' All of this on the fly thinking, why do they think they can pull it off?

They think they can pull this off because they have to. Gen Prayuth is to be replaced in nine months time when his tenure is up. I think that they think change must come before then.

However I see one redshirt headmaster in Ayutthaya has forced all his pupils to march on a pro-government rally. That's a bit sick don't you think?

That's part of the Thai establishment pecking order system. They buy their seats and grades or return favors for seats and grades.

How offensive! I would love to know just how many of the Deans have achieved Qualifications both in Thailand and Overseas. I would hazard a guess and say all of them.

NOISOME Noitom !

They didn't learn or absorb much about democracy. Let 'em stick to medicine. The deans I worked for at Chula outside of medicine were classic Thai sleazebags.

• Like 1

One of the aspects of this whole sorry mess that annoys me most is that these ridiculous people who call themselves academics allow themselves to be stooges for the Ruling Elite. The government would happily agree to the postponement of the election if the opposition would agree to a) not disrupt the rescheduled date and cool.png ideally participate in it. What these pseudo academics really mean is cancel the election permanently and establish Suthep's peoples council with a couple of farmers on it to appease the masses. Academia in this country is intellectually bankrupt - hardly surprising as many of them bribed their way into university in the first place.

Thus speaks a highly educated Millwall fan! And pray tell us, what academic qualifications have you achieved so far?

Can you produce evidence that these qualified medical doctors bribed their way into universities ? Don't you think they might have been found out already if they don't know what they're doing?

Academia is intellectually bankrupt - what do you base this comment on? Please explain the facts that lead you to this conclusion.

FWIW, I do respect those in the medical profession here. They have taken EXTREMELY good care of my kids when necessary, and I am VERY grateful for these people that have helped me so much.

As others have stated, many of the doctors here have credentials in some of the best hospitals around the world.

FWIW, I do respect those in the medical profession here. They have taken EXTREMELY good care of my kids when necessary, and I am VERY grateful for these people that have helped me so much.

As others have stated, many of the doctors here have credentials in some of the best hospitals around the world.

I am not going to get into a slagging match here, but the medical profession is about 50 years behind the developed world when it comes to transparency and ethics. Medical malpractice is covered up and there is no disclosure when it comes to the relationship between pharmaceutical companies and prescribing physicians. And therein lies a major source of friction with the profession. The physicians are hostile to the concept of someone partially looking over their shoulders and saying that the system has to change.

The government as the entity that pays the medical bills for a majority of Thais faces the same problem as every other country: It has to contain costs. One of the ways it has done that has been to follow the model that caps fees. The physicians don't like that. They didn't like it in the USA when the health insurers set fee schedules and they didn't like it in Canada when the provinces capped fees. Thai doctors aren't idiots and they know what's down the road for them. They have been feuding with the government over fees for some time. It's a futile exercise, but now it's payback time

. Keep in mind that these Deans have not been very vocal when it comes to public health issues such as opening access to some private hospitals to serve the poor. Thailand has the same problem as every other country when it comes to staffing rural facilities. Most of the doctors want to live in the big city, but the need is in the rural areas. Thailand has tried to push some of the doctors to areas where they are needed and no one wants to go. Sound familiar? Russia and Australia have the same problem. As the largest payer for services, the government has the right, in addition to the obligation to encourage physicians to practice in regions where they are needed. This is the motivation for the medical community being hostile to the government. The sad reality is that whoever replaces the PTP is going to be faced with the same issues and will employ the same strategy.

• Like 1

"Deans from eight medical schools have called for the caretaker government to step down and pave way for the establishment of a "provisional government".

This is not surprising, on two counts:

1. Academics are generally oriented toward the PA/Dem's, considering their Elitist roots.
  2. The Medical profession has a hate-on for Thaksin and anything associated with him. Without belaboring a point that has been discussed before, the 30-baht Hospital program deprived that Establishment of both power and a golden-goose.

I am not going to get into a slagging match here, but the medical profession is about 50 years behind the developed world when it comes to transparency and ethics. Medical malpractice is covered up and there is no disclosure when it comes to the relationship between pharmaceutical companies and prescribing physicians. And therein lies a major source of friction with the profession. The physicians are hostile to the concept of someone partially looking over their shoulders and saying that the system has to change.

The government as the entity that pays the medical bills for a majority of Thais faces the same problem as every other country: It has to contain costs. One of the ways it has done that has been to follow the model that caps fees. The physicians don't like that. They didn't like it in the USA when the health insurers set fee schedules and they didn't like it in Canada when the provinces capped fees. Thai doctors aren't idiots and they know what's down the road for them. They have been feuding with the government over fees for some time. It's a futile exercise, but now it's payback time

. Keep in mind that these Deans have not been very vocal when it comes to public health issues such as opening access to some private hospitals to serve the poor. Thailand has the same problem as every other country when it comes to staffing rural facilities. Most of the doctors want to live in the big city, but the need is in the rural areas. Thailand has tried to push some of the doctors to areas where they are needed and no one wants to go. Sound familiar? Russia and Australia have the same problem. As the largest payer for services, the government has the right, in addition to the obligation to encourage physicians to practice in regions where they are needed. This is the motivation for the medical community being hostile to the government. The sad reality is that whoever replaces the PTP is going to be faced with the same issues and will employ the same strategy.

No slugging match needed, great post.

So what ? huh.png Are you insinuating that unless someone has a minimum IQ they don't get the right to vote?ohmy.png

That's a new one ermm.gif

If I were, then that would obviously include you for twisting my post to buggery

" They added that provocation, or the distribution of distorted information, and all forms of violence must end. "

Of all the tactics at the disposal of this administration, the distribution of distorted information has perhaps the more far-reaching social consequences. They underscore a thinking that has no foundation, except in the mindset of sheer cynicism. They betray a lack of belief in the public's ability to reason.

Edited by Scamper

The appointed government of Khun Anand set up after Black May was one of the best administrations Thailand has ever had.

I am reliably informed that Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Somewhat off topic but you've been unreliably informed.

The trains didn't run on time although they did improve from the very poor condition they were in after WW1. The improvements were however mainly due to action taken before Mussolini came to power in 1922. He just took the credit.

Whether they were better than in present day Thailand I don't know as I haven't used them.

yes the deans, the medical doctors, the urban middle class, basically everyone who is educated .....Pol Pot found a solution for these notorious troublemakers.....

Problem is 99% of them went through a thai education, if that's what you can call it.

Deans from eight medical schools have called for the caretaker government to step down and pave way for the establishment of a "provisional government".

No one should be surprised that students don't understand what a democracy is and are protesting for dictatorship when "respected" Deans of medical schools recommend throwing it out for an appointed council. As representatives of the elite what else would be expected? Apparently the voters are getting too uppity for their own good.

• Like 1

yes the deans, the medical doctors, the urban middle class, basically everyone who is educated .....Pol Pot found a solution for these notorious troublemakers.....

Problem is 99% of them went through a thai education, if that's what you can call it.

Of coarse you are Farlang and believe you are superior to all Thais

do you know where the exit door is

Wow, somebody has a serious problem.

Political junkies pontificate about political stuff...if some people have a problem with that, get out of the kitchen.

Of coarse you are Farlang and believe you are superior to all Thais

do you know where the exit door is

That's the first thing I look to find when I enter a hall, theater, cinema etc in the event of fire or fascism.