One day overstay on a B visa, will I lose it?

Specific 'Non Imm B Visa' question. If for some reason I have to overstay on a business visa by 1 day to save $100's of dollars on a flight out of the country to Hong Kong (for a short holiday with the intention to return a few days later), but pay the fine at immigration at the airport. Will my Business visa be cancelled there and then? Meaning the following months I had left will be non usable? (B Visa Currently valid until oct 2014)

My current 90 days is up on Feb 4th but the difference in price between flights to HK
are $600 on the 4th and $190 on the 5th.

Any advice would be appreciated. :-)

Yes it's an actual multiple entry Non Imm B type visa. We renew every 90 days at Mae Sai for the course of 12 months with a Bonus 90 days on the end as well.

So I will just be fined at airport immigration for the 1 day overstay and then the visa should remain valid? I sincerely hope so :-S

Yes it's an actual multiple entry Non Imm B type visa. We renew every 90 days at Mae Sai for the course of 12 months with a Bonus 90 days on the end as well.

So I will just be fined at airport immigration for the 1 day overstay and then the visa should remain valid? I sincerely hope so :-S

One day overstay is free however they do mark it in your passport.

Could you explain what effect does the marking on my passport have? smile.png Is it just to let immigration know that I don't get extra time further down the line because of this particular overstay?

There is no real effect, and the fine is dependent on if you are more than one day late.

On a land border, there is no one day free overstay. You pay 500 Baht for the day. Enter the other country, depart the other country, enter Thailand again and you get a new stamp giving you permission to stay for 90 days.

whistling.gif In answer to the specific question there will only be at best a fine to pay and they will wrote next to your exit stamp on your passport a note in Thai that you overstayed one day and paid the fine.

It has no effect later, it's just a note to show it happened, and was dealt with.

But what I don't understand is exactly how you can renew a visa at Mae Sai

That statement confuses me, and I wonder if you really have a visa or an extension.

Hope you are right.

A multi entry visa is usually given by a Thai consulate and/or embassy. It is good for one year from the date of issue, and it is often stamped with an expiration date and has either the word Multi (sometimes Multiple)or the capital letter M where it says "Number of Entries".

Each time you use it you will be stamped on your entry to Thailand with a "Permitted to stay stamp" in your passport.

That stamp is NOT a renewal, it just shows entry to the country and allows you a 90 day stay.

And there is no "bonus" of 90 days either.

It's just that if you enter Thailand on the last day of your multi entry visa validity you will get the same 90 day permitted to stay stamp.

Even though your visa expires the next day that permitted to stay stamp allows you to stay legally for 90 days even after your actual visa is past it's one year expiration date.

I would hate to see you return from Hong Kong and be stamped with a visa exempt entry good for only 30 days because your extension, not visa, expired when you left the country.

If you do indeed have an extension to October 2014 that you should purchase a exit re-entry permit to allow you to exit Thailand and return and keep your extension valid until October.

A single entry permit is only 1000 Baht and is cheap insurance at that price if you really have an extension and not a visa.

But if you really do have a valid visa, good until October 2014, you don't need that permit.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif In answer to the specific question there will only be at best a fine to pay and they will wrote next to your exit stamp on your passport a note in Thai that you overstayed one day and paid the fine.

It has no effect later, it's just a note to show it happened, and was dealt with.

But what I don't understand is exactly how you can renew a visa at Mae Sai

That statement confuses me, and I wonder if you really have a visa or an extension.

Hope you are right.

A multi entry visa is usually given by a Thai consulate and/or embassy. It is good for one year from the date of issue, and it is often stamped with an expiration date and has either the word Multi (sometimes Multiple)or the capital letter M where it says "Number of Entries".

Each time you use it you will be stamped on your entry to Thailand with a "Permitted to stay stamp" in your passport.

That stamp is NOT a renewal, it just shows entry to the country and allows you a 90 day stay.

And there is no "bonus" of 90 days either.

It's just that if you enter Thailand on the last day of your multi entry visa validity you will get the same 90 day permitted to stay stamp.

Even though your visa expires the next day that permitted to stay stamp allows you to stay legally for 90 days even after your actual visa is past it's one year expiration date.

I would hate to see you return from Hong Kong and be stamped with a visa exempt entry good for only 30 days because your extension, not visa, expired when you left the country.

If you do indeed have an extension to October 2014 that you should purchase a exit re-entry permit to allow you to exit Thailand and return and keep your extension valid until October.

A single entry permit is only 1000 Baht and is cheap insurance at that price if you really have an extension and not a visa.

But if you really do have a valid visa, good until October 2014, you don't need that permit.

I guess I worded it wrongly but, Yes I have a Valid Visa from the Thai consulate in the UK. Its a Multiple Non Imm B type which is valid until July, and then with the 90 day extension at Mae Sai on the last day we will be allowed to stay in Thailand until October.

I should have said extension rather than renewal sorry :-)

Thanks for the info about the overstay, i'm feeling much more confident about passing through immigration now.

You do not get an extension when you cross and the border and return you get a new permitted to stay date when you re-enter. Calling it an extension can lead to further confusion.

haha ok i am now getting very confused also.

But I think I've already got the answer to my question. Thanks for all the info guys, it's really appreciated. :-)