Government water supply

nedkellylives

Here in Kata many people are without water already, same in Patong (for years already sometimes).

We're one of the lucky ones, with water normally in the late afternoon and early mornings. We fill the tanks with the government water, and with full tanks we have enough to be able to cope if there is no water fore a few days, which happened last week e.g.

We have 2 holding tanks which hold over 5000 litres, i topped up the pool this morning

now they are half empty, did not realise the supply was turned off

It'll be off until Friday or Saturday. They need a new pump.

I suppose the "Forward Planning" department didn't think of carrying spare parts. dry.png

Just remember where you are. mad.gif

TIT.

We have 2 holding tanks which hold over 5000 litres, i topped up the pool this morning

I suppose the "Forward Planning" department didn't think of carrying spare parts. dry.png

TIT.

It happened when we lived in Chalong, pump broken no replacement one in store

Water only trickled out of the tap, lucky we had a small storage tank which topped up

Our neighbors who had no storage tank had showers at our place for a week

TIT.

It's only going to get worse in the future. With all the construction going on here, all infastructure on the island will be failing under the extra demand.

TIT.

It happened when we lived in Chalong, pump broken no replacement one in store

Water only trickled out of the tap, lucky we had a small storage tank which topped up

Our neighbors who had no storage tank had showers at our place for a week

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago they had the same problem. The water pressure at night time was ridiculously high but during the day was OK. Turns out the pressure control mechanism didn't work and they didn't have a spare. So no water for 4 days or so.

TIT.

It's only going to get worse in the future. With all the construction going on here, all infastructure on the island will be failing under the extra demand.

Yes, bad enough when they were widening Viset road and the idiots in back-hoes would slice through the main pipe every couple of weeks.

That was when I got my connection to a deep bore well sorted. I went to Phuket town for a couple of years and don't know what happened to the connection.

My landlord's going to check tomorrow if he can re-connect me.

If you have government water supply they will not issue a licence to drill a deep bore so storage tanks are a sensible solution connected to a pump & plumbed so you can easily switch over when no government supply.

Even if you have tanks if the water is off for days at a time you will end up with empty tanks

They should have essential things like spare pumps in store so they can be replaced immediately

When a power transformer packs up its replaced in hours not days

If you have government water supply they will not issue a licence to drill a deep bore so storage tanks are a sensible solution connected to a pump & plumbed so you can easily switch over when no government supply.

I never knew that.

Edited by KarenBravo

I never knew that.

I recently arranged a quote for a customer & that was the result. The well drilling guy would definitely not do one without the licence. I also understand they put a meter on the line so you have to pay for how much water you use. A bit like the electricity guys extracting huge sums to install a transformer when it should be there job to do it in the first place.

Even if you have tanks if the water is off for days at a time you will end up with empty tanks

They should have essential things like spare pumps in store so they can be replaced immediately

With the shutdown of many government agencies it would not surprise me if there are no repairs done at the moment.

I assume you all have guttering to catch rainwater

You assume wrong, anyway when does it rain to catch it this time of year

I have only been at one home where the owner built enough tanks to catch rainwater from the wet season which would last through the high season. Unless you are doing this the idea of catching rainwater is pretty much a waste of time.

post-162797-0-26794200-1390470826_thumb.Your comment of, Catching and storing rainwater a waste of time.This is why Thailand is a third world country.And you all moan you have no water.Nearly 2 mtrs of rain falls here every year. Edited by Cylon

Your comment of, Catching and storing rainwater a waste of time.This is why Thailand is a third world country.And you all moan you have no water.Nearly 2 mtrs of rain falls here every year.

You missed the point. Where do you store all the water? Building a huge volume of underground tanks is prohibitively expensive & certainly cannot be retrofitted in existing homes. Most homes would not have room for a series of above ground tanks. Having a single tank, yes you will save some water when it rains but it has to be filtered & pumped into the house. The cost of electric for the pump is likely to be more than what you would pay for government water so for many it is a matter of pure economics. Our household water bill is Baht 85 per month & has been for years,

As has been mentioned in the thread, maintenance by the water department is less than spectacular & much is wasted through faulty pipes.

BTW, I do not moan about having no water as I accept that at this time of year supplies can be erratic & so keep some in storage.

You think Thailand is a 3rd world country well I beg to differ. Don't know where you are from but perhaps you could try Bangladesh or Thailand's close neighbour, Laos.

A few months ago the electricity was off for about 12 hours because they ran out of transformers and had to go somewhere north for a spare! biggrin.png

post-35489-0-52575200-1390477025_thumb.p TIT

Water is back on now in Rawai,not much pressure, probably because all the toilets and storage tanks are filling

Update from my landlord who again talked to the "boss" at Kathu water co. :

"They connect the pipe but not have pump. So pressure low. Better low pressure than no water."

Or Tinglish to that effect. smile.png

So in a few days I would expect another, shorter break in the supply when they fit the new pump - which is going somewhere near the Mangosteen according to the afore-mentioned landlord.

I never knew that.

Me neither.

My landlord's deep bore well water supplies seven other houses - their only supply - and he has kindly connected me up again.

I have to be careful with all the valves. Once, after I showed someone how it all worked, I left both the city water supply valve open and the deep bore supply on.

The city water forced its way back up the well supply pipe and overflowed the tank! giggle.gif

My landlord never lets me forget that. rolleyes.gif

I assume you all have guttering to catch rainwater

cheesy.gif

Funny you should mention that. I just got a leaflet in my post box from "Rainwater Solutions". A friend of mine had his guttering done by them, but I doubt my landlord would be interested.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Water is back on now in Rawai,not much pressure, probably because all the toilets and storage tanks are filling

Update from my landlord who again talked to the "boss" at Kathu water co. :

"They connect the pipe but not have pump. So pressure low. Better low pressure than no water."

Or Tinglish to that effect. smile.png

So in a few days I would expect another, shorter break in the supply when they fit the new pump - which is going somewhere near the Mangosteen according to the afore-mentioned landlord.

I know that mate, TIT, But at least our storage tanks will be topped up by tomorrow morning

Which will alow the boss to water the garden and do what ever she wants to do as far as water is concerned

Being as we are discussing water I have dried up a few times here in Patong the mystery is I have 2 Above ground tanks linked, both with ballcock I notice even when I have mains water when I turn on the tap I here the pump kick but when i run out of water there is still water in the tanks I can't understand why that is.

Any ideas

Is the pump active even with mains water?

Edited by jocko