Spy Network To Tackle Road Safety

fatter than harry

Spy network to tackle road safety

PHUKET: A new road safety campaign aims to recruit volunteers from government

departments, schools, factories, transport operators, private companies and even

villages – a large proportion of the island’s population – to look out for and

report violations of traffic laws.

The scheme was launched last week by the newly-formed Phuket Land Transport

Security Center (PLTSC) under instructions from the Phuket Provincial

Administration Organization (OrBorJor).

The aim of the scheme, when fully implemented, will be to see school principals,

tuk-tuk drivers, company bosses, village headmen and others within the

community, government and the private sector monitoring their colleagues,

subordinates or neighbors, and reporting traffic offenses to the police.

Five categories of business or organization were identified by the PLTSC as

being expected to contribute to the government’s eyes and ears: government

offices and departments, including hospitals; academic institutions; private

companies; the transport industry, including tuk-tuk, songtaew and

motorcycle taxi operations; and local communities, including villages,

residential estates and open-air markets.

Among more specific proposals is one for a new checkpoint – closer to Sarasin

Bridge than the existing Tah Chat Chai police checkpoint – to catch motorists

speeding either from or to the mainland.

Places of learning must set aside specific “safe” areas for children to be

dropped off or collected from school. School or college principals, in addition

to keeping an eye on the roadcraft of their staff, are also expected to monitor

the behavior of parents and students on the road.

Similarly, staff at government offices and departments will monitor each other,

with the chief of any department having authority to sack staff who breach road

rules habitually, in addition to any penalty meted out under the law.

Dangerous driving through villages will be monitored and reported on by local

headmen while security guards posted at the entrances of residential estates on

the island will be expected to report similar infringements to the police.

Vehicle rental companies will be expected to check the credentials and skills of

would-be customers more thoroughly than at present.

Transport providers, including minibus operators, motorcycle taxi drivers and

vehicle rental companies are to be given training in Thai traffic regulations,

the only group for whom any training is prescribed in the plan.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

Now this looks like a positive step towards road safety !!

Two group mentioned in the report, Tuk Tuk drivers and mini-bus driver are as we all know are real professional drivers who rarely, if ever commit a road violation.

This will just turn into a 'I don't like him because he has a better house/business/car/wife/job/skin colour than me so I'm going to report him' scenerio.

The local police are some of the worst drivers on the road so what hope do we have.

The only solution to the mounting problems on Phuket's roads is invest in driver education i.e. a new comprehensive tests for everyone and stiffer penalties for violations.

I'm not just getting at Thai drivers its also farangs. An old neighbour of mine a French guy was probably the most dangerous driver I have ever seen. People were constantly coming round to his house with police officers in tow, complaining that he had run them off the road. Was he fined ? Was his license taken away ? No No, he is still on the road causing accident after accident.

Other plans to improve the road include making the road wider with more lanes Ha !! As the average driver here has no concept of lane decipline this will cause bigger, faster and more deadly accidents.

God help us all.

• 3 weeks later...

I quite welcome this initiative. If they issue volunteers with uniforms (SS type with special arm bands) I shall definitely sign up. I can just see myself standing on a busy street grassing up all the lunatics as they rush past to the next traffic jam. Now, if they issue us volunteers with guns as well perhaps the traffic problems will be solved as fast as the drug problem was.

Gentleman,

Time to set up your blog to write about the latest gossip from the police :o

for 1000 baht a month, you can pay a copper to give you weekly updates of whats happening and where, and he comes to your house with the in

fo

Gentleman,

Time to set up your blog to write about the latest gossip from the police :o

for 1000 baht a month, you can pay a copper to give you weekly updates of whats happening and where, and he comes to your house with the in

fo

Ok, there will be police at the Chalong round about every day at around 5 - helmuts and seat belts. :D

Is it possible that "the newly-formed Phuket Land Transport Security Center (PLTSC) under instructions from the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor)" be controlled by some "transfuges" of Khmer Rouge from neighbouring Cambodia ? :D

I thought "Communism" was not welcome in Thailand !?!... :o

But shouldn't we remember that "denunciation" is one of the main tools of any police in the World, especially encouraged when under dictatorship ruling ?!?... :D:D:D

Gentleman,

Time to set up your blog to write about the latest gossip from the police  :D

fo

Ok, there will be police at the Chalong round about every day at around 5 - helmuts and seat belts. :D

My God he was right they were there!

He must have insider information!!!

Please keep this info up Gent, we need to be informed!!

:o

• 2 years later...

More Traffic enforecement.....YES

As one who drives a CAR, not one of those little motobike thingos, I can tell you that the thing I watch out for the most is Farang on Motor Bike! They drive more carzy that Thai but have far less the skills...I had one pass me on the LEFT going down the hill into Patong from Kamala. How dumb.. He made that pass but kept to the left and discovered on the next turn that the road shof sholder disappeared and he ended up in the ditch......Sure hope some public servant auto was near behind as I surely didn't stop as he would have clled me to blame....Farang on Motorbike, the worst traffic hazzard in Phuket...

Related to road safety fund raising:

Mini-VDO : A vehicle license plate auction will be held in Phuket on the weekend.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=208302

A total of 301 attractive or believed to be “lucky” numbers for car licenses will be put up for auction by the general public this Saturday and Sunday March 17 and 18th at Thavorn Grand Plaza hotel. Inviting any interested parties to take part in the auction, Suraphol Tanrungruengtawee, the Phuket Chief of the Land Transport office, explained that proceeds will go towards road safety funds which will help accident victims and to support traffic safety education in schools. The two day auction will start at 8.30am each day when a variety of categories of numbers will be offered.

The background image on the license plates will be of Laem Promthep, the same as in the previous two auctions. Bidders must bring along their ID card or passport. The official said he expects around 10 million baht from the auction.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable TV Channel 1, Thursday 15 March 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com {Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied, but give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}