Bangkok hotels prices plummet as Bangkok's seizure continues

webfact

Bangkok Hotels Prices Plummet as Bangkok's Seizure Continues
By Wimintra

BANGKOK: -- Wait for it travelers. Bangkok is going to be a paradise for travelers once the political turmoil has ended. Just when that will be however, is another question entirely.

After speaking with many hotels located along the main ‘Battle Grounds’ of the so-called ‘Bangkok Shutdown’, it seems that right now hotels right across the city are suffering. Should there be any parting of the ubiquitous political cloud enshrouding Bangkok, rest assured that hotels will be jumping at every chance to try and grab as many as travelers as possible to offset the losses that have been mounting daily now for the past week of protests and the several weeks running up to the city’s shutdown. You can look forward to discounts and room rates being slashed to lure the visitors back to this great city.

“The government will only do promotions such as grand sales to lure back tourists, but this will not be enough, and hoteliers will try harder to play with pricing. It’s not 100%, but we expect to see this situation” said Chanin Donavanik, the chief executive of the Thai hotel chain Dusit International. He added that the industry, particularly in Bangkok, cannot avoid a price war once the political problems have been solved.

To try and mitigate the hit, a lot of hotels downtown are trying to survive by giving attractive discounts for Thai citizens with an assortment of extremely discounted room-rates and up to 20% discount on F&B, laundry and spa services. Some online hotel booking apps are even running special promotions to lure the ‘mob’ market.

Despite the unbelievably low room rates being offered for Thais, these promotions haven’t done much to curb the losses. Perhaps because the people who could most likely afford to stay in higher end hotels in Bangkok already live in Bangkok, while many of the people from up country in for the protests are sleeping in tents at each of the key rally areas.

Sugree Sithivanich, Deputy Governor for Marketing Communications at the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), said travellers from Hong Kong were the most worrying group. About 40 per cent of tour packages for Chinese New Year from Hong Kong have reportedly been cancelled. For some hotels, this has been devastating as most of their business relies on the Hong Kong / Chinese market.

Generally room rate in Bangkok is lower than other Asia Pacific Destinations such as Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia. The rate has remained relatively unchanged since 2007. The Bangkok Shutdown has pushed the average room price to the lowest level we have seen in years.

For those that do decide to come to Bangkok, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has set up Tourist Friend Centres (TFC) to help tourists make the most of their stay given the abnormal circumstances. The TFC’s remain open 24 hours a day to offer assistance to tourists and are located at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang International Airports. There are also four TFC Help Desks located at Siam, Phaya Thai, Ekkamai and Sala Daeng BTS Skytrain stations.

Despite the shutdown, right now could well be a great time to visit Bangkok. You can take advantage of some unprecedented deals around town and stay at some of the most spectacular properties in the country at a fraction of the usual price.

-- HOTELIER HERALD 2014-01-22

Check out the best Bangkok hotel deals here:

http://www.booking.com/city/th/bangkok.html?aid=369143&label=forum20130122

like who would like to go there for a holiday to get caught up in trafic jams, bombs going off, no doubt curfews... and as most police say... "it is a very crazy place to be in right now" . And with the Rice farmers coming... it ought to be a really hot place soon... so it is understandable that the hotels vacancy is low. hopefully soon it will all get sorted out and back to normal.

• Like 1

I reckon it's well worth checking out what hotel deals in Bangkok are up for grabs right now. Sure, the protests are hitting the headlines but it's not like every single soi in the capital is jam-packed with protesters. I bet you could still stay in Bangkok and not be that affected by what's going on. I have a friend who lives near Surasak BTS station and he says it has been pretty much normal for him.

Providing you're flexible I bet that are some hotels are literally giving away rooms at the moment

Bangkok Hotels Prices Plummet

I know some of the Thai Visa economics experts (it's hard to write than and not be convulse with mirth) think that lowering prices is a fundamental precept if ever you want to move something that's not been selling well, but if I were a tourist, or even a resident staying elsewhere in Thailand, and I decided that it would be dangerous or at least aggravating and frustrating to deal with all that's going on in Bangkok, I can't see myself changing my mind because rooms were being discounted a few hundred baht.

And I would think the only potential Thai customers would be people who had to be in Bangkok anyway. Not likely that there would be a rush of people in rural Thailand keen to spend a few nights in the Big Mango while it's under siege.

Despite the unbelievably low room rates being offered for Thais, these promotions haven’t done much to curb the losses

Well if you charge Baht 3000 a night and have 50 rooms occupied, your revenue would be Baht 150,000 per night.

Cut it by 20% (assuming everyone gets the discount) and maybe gain 5 more occupants, then you have 55 rooms generating Baht 2400 per night which would put your top line at Baht 132,000. per night.

Most likely it would be optimistic to think you'd get 10% more guests anyway, so you'd probably have the same number of guests paying less. Whoopee.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

i'm surprised they haven't put the prices up to compensate for the lack of income!?!?!

Why are you surprised?

Prices go up if there is high demand - more demand than total supply.

When there is no demand, and lot of supply, you try to create demand by lowering your price...

Simple Economics.

Bangkok Hotels Prices Plummet

I know some of the Thai Visa economics experts (it's hard to write than and not be convulse with mirth) think that lowering prices is a fundamental precept if ever you want to move something that's not been selling well, but if I were a tourist, or even a resident staying elsewhere in Thailand, and I decided that it would be dangerous or at least aggravating and frustrating to deal with all that's going on in Bangkok, I can't see myself changing my mind because rooms were being discounted a few hundred baht.

And I would think the only potential Thai customers would be people who had to be in Bangkok anyway. Not likely that there would be a rush of people in rural Thailand keen to spend a few nights in the Big Mango while it's under siege.

Despite the unbelievably low room rates being offered for Thais, these promotions haven’t done much to curb the losses

Well if you charge Baht 3000 a night and have 50 rooms occupied, your revenue would be Baht 150,000 per night.

Cut it by 20% (assuming everyone gets the discount) and maybe gain 5 more occupants, then you have 55 rooms generating Baht 2400 per night which would put your top line at Baht 132,000. per night.

Most likely it would be optimistic to think you'd get 10% more guests anyway, so you'd probably have the same number of guests paying less. Whoopee.

Don't forget the Food & Bev - this generates much better returns. Give up 500 Baht but get food purchases and you're in front. They think revenue per person rather than pure room rate.

Once the turmoil ends I'm looking forward to the special dining promotions. Don't need a room in Bangkok :)

like who would like to go there for a holiday to get caught up in trafic jams, bombs going off, no doubt curfews... and as most police say... "it is a very crazy place to be in right now" . And with the Rice farmers coming... it ought to be a really hot place soon... so it is understandable that the hotels vacancy is low. hopefully soon it will all get sorted out and back to normal.

There are no curfews. And where did you get that "most police say ..." quote?

i'm surprised they haven't put the prices up to compensate for the lack of income!?!?!

Why are you surprised?

When there is no demand, and lot of supply, you try to create demand by lowering your price...

Simple Economics.

I think you may have misread wilcopops post. I believe he was saying that since demand is less, he is surprised hotels havent raised their prices to make up the income lost through lower demand.

The implication being......Simple THAI Economics.

• Like 1

Why are you surprised?

Simple Economics.

I think you may have misread wilcopops post. I believe he was saying that since demand is less, he is surprised hotels havent raised their prices to make up the income lost through lower demand.

oh ok now i see what wilcopops meant....

Now I am surprised why i didn't think about it.

My Bad...

Why are you surprised?

Simple Economics.

Perhaps he should recalculate what surprises him about Thailand.

I thought the standard Thai practise was to double the price of rooms to make up for lost /reduced revenue that way

you could make up the lost money with half the numbers. Thats what many TV readers say anyway. Maybe I will have

to check things out in Bangkok next month. whistling.gif

Don't forget the Food & Bev - this generates much better returns. Give up 500 Baht but get food purchases and you're in front. They think revenue per person rather than pure room rate.

Once the turmoil ends I'm looking forward to the special dining promotions. Don't need a room in Bangkok smile.png

Me too - can't resist the 2-for-1 lunches, yum yum.

Why are you surprised?

Simple Economics.

We're not talking Simple Economics here, we're talking Thai Economics.

• Like 1

These rates are still high. Hotels and condos are incredibly overpriced, especially in Bangkok and the beach areas.

$100 a night for a room in a 4-5 star hotel in a destination beach resort or downtown capital (tourist) city would hardly be considered incredibly overpriced.

We're all spoiled by the fact that Bangkok and beach hotels are incredibly overbuilt and prices have been depressed as long as anyone can remember.

It seems very common in Thailand to consider that 500 baht is a good discount on an initial price of 50,000 so I can't see that the OP has any real truth in it at all.

As an example of the national concept of discount may I offer this - I notice is that supermarkets often offer tins of fish at "2 FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!" - this price is about 24 baht. However the more perspicacious customer may have noticed that the price for one tin on the previous week was 12 baht.....which has mysteriously risen to 22 baht to coincide with the new offer...............

Discount schmisch-count!