Officials admit bus ban on Patong Hill not best solution

webfact

Officials admit bus ban on Patong Hill not best solution
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2014122115641613_bYdGWNsZkxRv
Officials are still searching for ways to make Patong Hill safe. Photo: Saran Mitrarat

PHUKET: -- Officials will go ahead with a trial one-month ban on all buses and trucks travelling over the hills from Thung Thong into Patong starting next month, despite consensus among all major stakeholders that the ban is likely to result in more accidents on the west coast roads (story here).

“Stopping them from using the hill road to enter Patong is not enough, when we know the true problem is the state of the Patong Hill road and the large volume of vehicles using it,” Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada said.

“The ‘one-way ban’ on Patong hill is not a permanent solution. We will try it for a month, then see if we can come up with better ways to prevent road accidents.”

Tired of runaway tour buses wreaking havoc and carnage in their neighborhood, residents living at the bottom of the hill near the Wat Suwankiriwong (map here) have threatened to protest if action is not taken, V/Gov Chamroen explained.

“And if those villagers blocked the road, I cannot imagine how bad the situation would be,” he said.

The residents live at the main crash site for runaway tour buses whose brakes have overheated while traversing the steep grades over the hills into Patong.

Most recently, on December 29, a runaway bus loaded with Thai and Russian tourists slammed into five vehicles after its brakes failed. Two people died and 26 were injured in the crash (story here).

TUNNEL VISION

Ironically, it is residents living in the same village who have fought the hardest against the proposed tunnel through the hills to Patong, V/Gov Chamroen pointed out (story here).

“The Patong tunnel project is one of the best solutions we have, but it has yet to pass public hearings. Some villagers will not let us move ahead with the tunnel because they will lose their land,” he said.

“We cannot please everyone, but we would like residents to think about the public benefit the tunnel would bring.”

Phuket Land Transportation Office (PLTO) Chief Terayout Prasertphol explained that once the east-west ban is in force, all buses and trucks larger than the stipulated limit will be stopped at the Thung Thong police checkpoint and drivers will be warned not to attempt to use the Patong Hill road.

“We will give them the option of turning around, but anyone who ignores the warning will be fined 2,000 baht each time they are caught,” he warned.

Mr Terayout also voiced concern over the bus ban.

“I am aware that this is not the best decision. It will increase the volume of buses travelling through Kata and Kamala, raising the likelihood of more accidents on those hills,” he said.

“However, the gradients of the roads through those areas are not as steep as those in the Patong hills, so we should expect drivers to use their brakes less frequently, which means their brakes are less likely to fail.”

KAMALA CONUNDRUM

Karon Mayor Tawee Thongcham said he was not overly worried about heavier bus and truck traffic passing through his ambit, as long as drivers were cautious.

But Kitikraisri Keawwan, the Chief Administrative Officer at Kamala Tambon Administration Organization (OrBorTor), was clearly opposed to the move.

“The more vehicles that use the road, the more likely we are to have accidents. Also, buses and trucks need a lot more space than cars, and the Kamala hill road is narrow with a cliff on one side. I do not think this is a good idea,” he said.

Mr Kitikraisri acknowledged that the road gradients through Kamala were not as steep as those to Patong, but pointed out one particular black spot near the Nakalay police box.

“That section of road is very steep and dangerous,” he said.

“I know this is a big problem to fix. I hope the best solution is soon identified so we can reduce the number of road accidents.”

Click here to have your say in the Gazette’s most recent poll, which asks, “What is the best way to prevent further deadly bus accidents on Patong Hill?”

This article first appeared in the January 18 - 24 issue of the hard-copy Phuket Gazette newspaper. Digital subscribers may download the full newspaper, this week and every week, by clicking here.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Officials-admit-bus-ban-on-Patong-Hill-not-best-solution-23354.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-01-22

As anyone noticed how the majority of heavy vehicles and tour buses seem to suffer mechanical failure while traveling uphill? This would suggest generally poor mechanical condition. As anyone noticed the number of heavy vehicles and buses that are 'crabbing' while being driven on straight flat roads? This would suggest the vehicles in question has had, at some time in its life, a very bad accident and it's chassis hasn't been straightened correctly. These issues are not driver related, they are mechanical and safety issues. Simon commented on regular inspections, I think it's more serious than that. I think that if these vehicles were required to prove they were fit for the road we'd see a lot less of them. But, and this is a big but... This Is Thailand.

As anyone noticed how the majority of heavy vehicles and tour buses seem to suffer mechanical failure while traveling uphill? This would suggest generally poor mechanical condition. As anyone noticed the number of heavy vehicles and buses that are 'crabbing' while being driven on straight flat roads? This would suggest the vehicles in question has had, at some time in its life, a very bad accident and it's chassis hasn't been straightened correctly. These issues are not driver related, they are mechanical and safety issues. Simon commented on regular inspections, I think it's more serious than that. I think that if these vehicles were required to prove they were fit for the road we'd see a lot less of them. But, and this is a big but... This Is Thailand.

Nail hit squarely on the head.

As anyone noticed how the majority of heavy vehicles and tour buses seem to suffer mechanical failure while traveling uphill?

No, i for one haven't.....any links or relevant info?

I think that the best way to fix the problem is to properly incentivize the companies owning the buses so it is more profitable for them to properly maintain their buses and monitor their drivers.

If the government revoked the business licenses of companies who are at fault in these type of accidents and awarded huge settlements to the injured parties it would be more profitable for the owners to make sure their buses were properly maintained and the drivers were not drunk or high.

Talk about just moving the problem elsewhere, so not only will you be dodging suicidal minivans between Patong and Surin will now be having the fun of full size coaches navigating the hills and bends on a road with a lot less width, how long before a coach overcooks a corner and then causes a full head-on crash...?

Will that be down to brake fade also? Hope I'm wrong and it does not happen...

As been said, correct driver training - for all vehicle types and regular testing of PSVs and Heavy Goods

Uh, sorry folks... For a second I was thinking this was a 'Grown up' country who put safety before a quick buck... Roll on Wacky Races

Edited by Lokie

No, spring pack needs replacing. Centre bolt holding leaf springs together has sheared. My 2cents worth

To have annual check's on HGV and Public transport buses would need government funded test centers across the whole country with trained technicians.

Don't hold your breath

These already exist at every Department of Land Transport across all Thailand. There is one in Phuket and there are plenty of HGV and PSV queued up for inspection.

To have annual check's on HGV and Public transport buses would need government funded test centers across the whole country with trained technicians.

Don't hold your breath

These already exist at every Department of Land Transport across all Thailand. There is one in Phuket and there are plenty of HGV and PSV queued up for inspection.
I

Thats good i hope they are doing a good inspection.

I have seen a lot of bad tyre's here mostly on large constrution vehicle and black smoke belching out of busses on Patong hill

...when we know the true problem is the state of the Patong Hill road and the large volume of vehicles using it

No, that is the reason that you're fooling yourselves with. The true reason is the lack of training of bus and heavy vehicle drivers, (especially concerning travelling downhill, using gears and brakes correctly), the failure to monitor and enforce maximum hours behind the wheel, the failure to enforce maximum vehicle speeds, the failure to enforce traffic rules, the failure to enforce regular vehicle mechanical checks, the failure to carry out spot checks on drivers for alcohol and/or drugs.... the list goes on and on.

The last reason for these accidents is the state of the road and large number of vehicles. <deleted>, that hill is small and the road is in reasonably good condition - it is the drivers and their vehicles that are the problem.

Simon

Well put Simon. I heard on the radio yesterday about the VG stating the problem is the state of the road & could not believe my ears. So far not a single official has talked about proper driver training in the use of gears or stipulated the owners should be held responsible in the way of large fines as I believe the only way it will improve is to hit them in their pockets. This is a nationwide problem with large numbers being killed & injured through a total disregard for safety.

As anyone noticed how the majority of heavy vehicles and tour buses seem to suffer mechanical failure while traveling uphill?

It generally won’t make the news unless it crashes or loses its load. In the past 9 ½ months, I have seen at least 15. Probably more like 20. Last July/August there was one, sometimes two a day for about a week. I travel that hill four times a day.

It generally won’t make the news unless it crashes or loses its load. In the past 9 ½ months, I have seen at least 15. Probably more like 20. Last July/August there was one, sometimes two a day for about a week. I travel that hill four times a day.

Fair enough observation, but do you really know for sure that they were indeed mechanical failure ..?

Myself on occassion have seen evidence eg oil and/or parts on the road, but IMO most appear to be the result of poor driving skills

Fair enough observation, but do you really know for sure that they were indeed mechanical failure ..?

Myself on occassion have seen evidence eg oil and/or parts on the road, but IMO most appear to be the result of poor driving skills

Tough call. At best recollection, half were being worked on. The others had a back wheel blocked with no driver around, some with the driver in the seat, eyes as big as saucers, white knuckles and profuse sweating.

• Like 1