My day at Immigration

Why not just call a neighbour to text you the adjusted pic? Or just photoshop whatever is needed on the original? Save a lot of driving, no?

Mate, my neighbours are Thai villagers without any idea of technology, plus one adjusted pic had to be taken with us there, or as you say photoshopped. However I did not have the picture on a memory card with me it was a print, so I would have had to go into an internet cafe get it scanned, then sit there and play with it, which I have never done before, then buy a memory stick, then take it to a photo printing place all with the missus on me back. No thanks.

Why not just call a neighbour to text you the adjusted pic? Or just photoshop whatever is needed on the original? Save a lot of driving, no?

Mate, my neighbours are Thai villagers without any idea of technology, plus one adjusted pic had to be taken with us there, or as you say photoshopped. However I did not have the picture on a memory card with me it was a print, so I would have had to go into an internet cafe get it scanned, then sit there and play with it, which I have never done before, then buy a memory stick, then take it to a photo printing place all with the missus on me back. No thanks.

Good answersmile.png

• Like 2

Well good to hear you were processed in the end. I have to travel about 500km round trip to do my visa extenstion and I always get nervous a few days before even if I know I and the wife have everything they need...........just because they will pull something at the last minute to try and trip you up. Nothing is ever set in stone here in the LOS

The rules and regulations of Thailand Immigration are necessary, but way over the top, some want this, some don't, some want that, and some don't, Although I believe that most Farangs get through Immigration, their extensions etc, without any hassle, I believe on some occasions, that IO try to ask for this and that hoping that some money will go under the table. The marriage visa is one I believe could be done with much less hassle, and from what I hear, it is the one where most tea money comes from.

Well good to hear you were processed in the end.

hmmmmm... that's one way to say it. Yeah, he was processed in the end, all right.

From all the stories I've heard, advance preparation does little good since they always want something different each time you go back. Just bring as much paperwork, photographs & money you can find and hope for the best. Haven't been through this yet but the time is coming & I dread it.

• Like 1

I know Thais like to wait until the last minute to do anything.

Are you already that Thai?

I am always 100% sure I am 100% ready at least one week before I go to Immigration.

Yes, I even research to be sure nothing new or different is required since my last visit.

It was only a 90 day check in, but I went to immigration yesterday.

In and out in less than 10 minutes.

Nothing but smiles from everyone in the office.

It pays to be prepared.

Edited by willyumiii

Thanks dude! Best wake up call not to forward my 90 days registration for Aliens tomorrow. Will spray my skin green when going there in my space shuttle.-

Will bring them some"space cake" from a Dutch coffee shop.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

I am always 100% sure I am 100% ready at least one week before I go to Immigration.

Yes, I even research to be sure nothing new or different is required since my last visit.

It pays to be prepared.

100% agree been on three annual 1 year visa runs could not complain at all . Just make sure you have all the required documents , do everything with a smile and a 100 baht tea money things go as smooth as silk . The first time I went I had actually washed my old passport with the 1 year retirement multiple entry visa in and presented the new passport . The officer at immigration just checked on the computer and CALLED The Brisbane Thai embassy to check what I was saying was correct which took all of 10 minutes then just went through my documents and stamped my new passport in and out in about 30 minutes .

It pays to be prepared.

100% agree been on three annual 1 year visa runs could not complain at all . Just make sure you have all the required documents , do everything with a smile and a 100 baht tea money things go as smooth as silk . The first time I went I had actually washed my old passport with the 1 year retirement multiple entry visa in and presented the new passport . The officer at immigration just checked on the computer and CALLED The Brisbane Thai embassy to check what I was saying was correct which took all of 10 minutes then just went through my documents and stamped my new passport in and out in about 30 minutes .

Why do you give them tea money? No need for this at all. Just have the right documents, be polite and have a reasonable appearance and everything will be OK.

Preparation in advance? Ha ha. I telephoned the day before we went the first time, got everything together and got there nice and early the next day. The guy that I 'phoned with wanted my 'confirmation of freedom to marry' paper, which he hadn't mentioned. (And wasn't accepting any tea money).We were told that the Amphur where we got married must have it, so off to the Amphur: 'mai mee'. On the same day we got a visit from immigration police, he talked to our neighbours, relatives and local shopkeepers. So maybe they just send you home sometimes so they can check up on you.

We did eventually find the paper and things went over ok.

• Like 1

It pays to be prepared.

Why do you give them tea money? No need for this at all. Just have the right documents, be polite and have a reasonable appearance and everything will be OK.

Well I have never been able to offer tea money to expedite things but there are places where you won't get anywhere if you don't.

It pays to be prepared.

You are probably right about the tea money but for the cost of a couple of beers at the local after I will stick to what works for me .

Has anyone tried the approach of deliberately leaving out some documents so they have something wrong to find. You then ask them are you sure this is required, are you sure this is the only thing missing? Once you have a yes answer, you look again in your document bag and hey look I do have those docs. Now since you have been told that yes everything else is in order there would be loss of face to say "I was wrong before there are other docs required"

Really good idea. Reverse psychology just might work well here.

• Like 1

Well good to hear you were processed in the end. I have to travel about 500km round trip to do my visa extenstion and I always get nervous a few days before even if I know I and the wife have everything they need...........just because they will pull something at the last minute to try and trip you up. Nothing is ever set in stone here in the LOS

The rules and regulations of Thailand Immigration are necessary, but way over the top, some want this, some don't, some want that, and some don't, Although I believe that most Farangs get through Immigration, their extensions etc, without any hassle, I believe on some occasions, that IO try to ask for this and that hoping that some money will go under the table. The marriage visa is one I believe could be done with much less hassle, and from what I hear, it is the one where most tea money comes from.

I don't know, this office has in the past tried to get me to use the retirement 800k option saying that they can approve it themselves, no need to bother Bangkok which at the time I took to mean they could ask for tea money with that one as they had the final say, if Bangkok does have to approve the marriage one, it meanes tea money to them still doesn't guarantee approval, but you may be right.

It pays to be prepared.

Yes I am pretty Thai these days, but never have any hassles with the 90 day report, in and out less than a minute usually except when I was 3 weeks late one time I had to give her 1k but no receipt.

I take another moral from this story...don't marry a Thai woman and if you do, do live up in the sticks in the middle of nowhere.

Yes married a Thai woman, in the sticks, hadn't seen another farang for a month until Tuesday when a Dutchman said hello to me at Immigration.

Why not use the services of an agent? Expensive, but saves incipient heart attacks.

I didn't know I could use an agent. Up here that would mean a very long day to see an agent, what, in Bangkok?

@OP:

Did I miss something? Where did you go? (Which Immi office....)

Chantaburi Immigration at Pong Nam Ron

I don't know, this office has in the past tried to get me to use the retirement 800k option saying that they can approve it themselves, no need to bother Bangkok which at the time I took to mean they could ask for tea money with that one as they had the final say, if Bangkok does have to approve the marriage one, it meanes tea money to them still doesn't guarantee approval, but you may be right.

Yes they can, and no need for tea money (thus far) in my experience. Way to go in future IMHO if you have sufficient dosh (+, of course, all the supporting paperwork they may demand to see on you). Since you should then be stamped in for the full year on the spot, no need for a further 95km round trip 4 weeks later for the final stampsmile.png

A possible drawback for the rest of us, of course, is that we wouldn't be entertained by a similar post from you this time next yearsad.png

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1