Looking for first time teaching job in isan

alex88

I am planning to go to Thailand to look for work with a Bachelor degree and a TEFL certificate.

I would prefer to teach somewhere in isan than in Bangkok.

What are the chances of finding work if I base myself in a city like Korat or Udon Thani and approach schools in those regions looking for work as opposed to doing so in Bangkok?

Is it better for a beginner to start in Bangkok or are the odds similar in isan?

If you arrive in any larger town in Issan and go round the schools smartly dressed and with a pile of CVs/resumes you'll find work fairly easily.

Best time now would be the end of March and April because it's the end of the school year and the schools will be planning for the new semester in May.

In my experience Korat is the easiest place to find work and Udon the hardest with Khon Kaen somewhere in the middle. Buriram and Surin seem to advertise quite a lot. There are one or two 'decent' agencies that operate in these areas, Sine and BIFTS offer 11 month contracts with a bonus at the end.

You will find work definitely. Don't use an agency and don't accept an 11 month contract unless you are only going to stay in Thailand for 1 year. 11 month contracts suck if you are going to return to the job and not get paid during your holiday.

Edited by zeichen

You will get a job easily in Korat, but getting a work permit and visa will depend on whether or not you have the required number of credits in education or not. Here in Korat the requirements are being strictly enforced at the moment, and several teachers have had to resort to a tourist visa run every 2 weeks until they can complete the required number of education credits. (they are already holding B.A. degrees) The schools will gladly hire you without the requirements, but I just wanted to let you know about the possible complications.

As mentioned, the bigger cities in Isaan are relatively easy to find work. Large scale Government schools offer anywhere between 30-35k bht monthly. Look presentable and wear the appropriate attire when on the job hunt of course. School directors always look for young, enthusiastic & energetic teachers from abroad.

You will find work guarantee :)

• Like 1

Best time to look, as others had already mentioned will be middle/end of March, as the schools are aware how many teachers they'll need in May. New school years usually starts in middle of May.

Google preferable places, also look in Ubon Ratchathani, Sisaket, etc....go to school in person with your complete resume and you'll find it pretty much easy to get an interview, as ASEAN will pop in 2015.

Don't be surprised when you find out that neither primary, nor high school students are good at English. ( As well as their Thai English teachers)

Be well dressed, well mannered, show them who you are and you'll easily find employment. Most schools want you to give a short demonstration lesson.

Go for a 12 months contract and forget about agencies, when you're planning to stay/.live/work here longer.

Wish you best of luck.-wai2.gif

P. S. And never pay a so called "agent" any money to get you a job!!!

Edited by sirchai

<deleted> me don't come to Udon overqualified otherwise you may end up as the director of education for the region, and I'm not including ex-pat English teachers here. My daughter's teacher at the International school she attends can hardly string together a basic sentence in English.

If you look neat, are well dressed and speak clearly you will get lots of offers. I'm assuming you are Caucasian from one of the main English speaking countries.

For Isan region expect 25 - 40 K baht a month for full time. 25K B at a poor small rural school, but they can be the most rewarding to teach at and often have very small class size. The cost of accommodation will be low as well. You will also find them more flexible with taking your non teaching hours off.

Always ask how many contact hours per week (20 is normal), the class size ( you don't want 50 - 60) and daily start and finish times.

Don't use an agent, most of them will rip you off, take a look at the major ESL web sites (ajarn.com, daves esl cafe, *Direct link to Craigslist deleted* and this thaivisa site) - you should be able to tee up a job before you come, though there are many hundreds of schools that never advertise.

If you just rock up before March when this school year ends and do the rounds of schools in the district you want to live you WILL get a job.

Cheers JA

Edited by Scott
Link edited out

You will get a job easily in Korat, but getting a work permit and visa will depend on whether or not you have the required number of credits in education or not. Here in Korat the requirements are being strictly enforced at the moment, and several teachers have had to resort to a tourist visa run every 2 weeks until they can complete the required number of education credits. (they are already holding B.A. degrees) The schools will gladly hire you without the requirements, but I just wanted to let you know about the possible complications.

tesolguru, the credits you are referring to is that stipulated by Immigration or the department of Labour

tesolguru, the credits you are referring to is that stipulated by Immigration or the department of Labour

What do you guys mean by credits?

You haven't said what subject your BA is in. If the degree doesn't contain a sufficient number of Education related credits then you will have to undertake further study to obtain a full permit to teach. Right now you would appear to qualify for a provionsal teaching permit or "waiver."

Up until now you could sit a series of difficult but not impossible exams to meet the requirements of the licensing authority in Thailand. It is however currently unclear if these tests will be offered again. They are likely to be replaced with courses taken in semester breaks and weekends.

You haven't said what subject your BA is in. If the degree doesn't contain a sufficient number of Education related credits then you will have to undertake further study to obtain a full permit to teach. Right now you would appear to qualify for a provionsal teaching permit or "waiver."

Up until now you could sit a series of difficult but not impossible exams to meet the requirements of the licensing authority in Thailand. It is however currently unclear if these tests will be offered again. They are likely to be replaced with courses taken in semester breaks and weekends.

I have a Bachelor of Behavioural Studies. I believe I can get a waiver while I study for the education units?

If I show up in Korat applying for jobs with my degree and a TEFL or CELTA then I can take a job on a waiver while I continue my studies right?

I have a Bachelor of Behavioural Studies. I believe I can get a waiver while I study for the education units?

If I show up in Korat applying for jobs with my degree and a TEFL or CELTA then I can take a job on a waiver while I continue my studies right?

Yes, you will probably have up to 4 years to satisfy the additional requirements. There are a number of threads on here. There are websites dedicated to THAILAND and TEACHING and a quick google should lead you to one that has up to date and accurate information.

Hi all,

Sorry forgive me but I don't understand about this points/credit system, could someone please explain, because I raised a topic in the work permits forum, asking whether I would qualify for a work permit at a private school even though I don't have any degree or experience. It was indicated in the responses that I would as long as I am a NES and my college diploma(actually a NVQ) would be sufficent.

Would it be because this is a private school or are the regulations the same?

There are different methods and systems used, however, a student usually receives 1 credit for each hour of study per week. If a course is 3 times a week for 1 hour it is equivalent to 3 credit hours.

It takes a certain number of credits (as well as specific classes in a subject) to obtain a major or a minor in a particular field.

If it is a science class, however, there may be a laboratory portion that does not figure in the overall time. Also a practical portion of some classes may be calculated differently.

Hi all,

Sorry forgive me but I don't understand about this points/credit system, could someone please explain, because I raised a topic in the work permits forum, asking whether I would qualify for a work permit at a private school even though I don't have any degree or experience. It was indicated in the responses that I would as long as I am a NES and my college diploma(actually a NVQ) would be sufficent.

On your degree transcript there should be a list of courses studied and the number of credits given for each course.

The requirements are the same for all schools, but the problems are not with the schools. I know of one teacher that was just hired without any ID. The problems arise when you apply for a work permit.

Hi all,

On your degree transcript there should be a list of courses studied and the number of credits given for each course.

The requirements are the same for all schools, but the problems are not with the schools. I know of one teacher that was just hired without any ID. The problems arise when you apply for a work permit.

I dont have a degree, only a NVQ, it's just a certificate, no transcript

You will find work definitely. Don't use an agency and don't accept an 11 month contract unless you are only going to stay in Thailand for 1 year. 11 month contracts suck if you are going to return to the job and not get paid during your holiday.

Hear, hear!

the semester will end in March, but at my school, the foreign teachers' contracts will end in February. This sucks big time!

Thailand has many places, be open and see the ads on Ajarn.com

In my experience Korat is the easiest place to find work and Udon the hardest with Khon Kaen somewhere in the middle. Buriram and Surin seem to advertise quite a lot. There are one or two 'decent' agencies that operate in these areas, Sine and BIFTS offer 11 month contracts with a bonus at the end.

Sine is a 10 month contract with just the first week of March paid for!!

Not to hijack, is matriculating thru a few schools ever an issue? I have transcripts for all (open, sealed, photo copies)? Also diploma of course.

Education credits? How are these qualified? Not unit/credit but courses?

So, as it stands those only with a BA are no longer qualifed to teach under the (proposal) press release speculation a few weeks ago.

To the op, good luck persuing your Ed MA in rural Issan.