Tailor Made Shirts and Trousers in BKK

Bmouthboyo

Hi Guys,

I am looking for any pointers on where in BKK I could get some shirts and trousers tailor made at an affordable price. I know you get what you pay for, so not looking for dirt cheep but would be willing to pay in the region of 3000 tbh per shirt, and upto 5000 tbh for well made trousers.

I have suit and shirt tailored from back in the UK just before I moved out so could provide those for the tailor to use as a template providing they don't rip them apart. They fit very well and I would like something similar. I hear one of the main criticisms of tailors here is that they make the suits to unfashionable cuts, american etc so would like to avoid that, although I do not expect an Italian or Savile Row piece.

I am a broad build but not fat (debatable), so normally shirts that fit my collar size (18.5") are too long in the sleeve and very baggy around the waist, so it ends up looking boxy and folded into trousers.

I visited little India recently whilst exploring Chinatown but nothing really stood out as being a quality tailor so thought I would ask about here.

Cheers

i'm sure there must be good ones. never tried myself but i sometimes look at the samples in the window and the styling looks poor and fabric low quality. it puts me off.

the hard sell guys are a pain. you'd think any decent tailor would survive through the quality of their work and not by dragging people in from the street.

I use a tailor who comes to my home now. He split from the main shop because he thought they were being too greedy and overcharging. Now, he has his own selection of fabrics and offers better quality and better service than the shop where I met him. He doesn't have a shop currently, so his overhead costs are low. He charges me around 1,000 baht a shirt and 1,500 for trousers which I think is a pretty good deal.

For a brick and mortar type of operation, I suggest Tailor on Ten. They are great, and they won't be using any so-called "hard-sale" tactics. Their website is as follows: http://www.tailoronten.com/

For lower prices and pretty good quality, a lot of friends go to a tailor at the end of On Nut on Sukhumvit Road. I think it's called Suitsara or something along those lines. They aim for the Thai market, and their prices reflect it. They do excellent work without all of the bells and whistles of the lower Sukhumvit shops.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

I have not had a good experience with Indian Tailors. In any case most of them do not do the tailoring, for instance on Sukumvit rd the tailors generally send the material to the bottom of Nana road near the entrance to the Tobacco Monopoly where there are sweat shops who do the actual tailoring. Same idea in Pattaya.

I use a tailor called Gift Blazer" on the 3rd floor of Seacon Square, Srinakarin rd. They even have Italian cloth if you want it. Material wears well and lasts years and years.

• Like 1

You'll find most the shops are just fronts that sell the material only and they then send the garments to a local factory for them to be made. Nothing wrong with that - just watch the price and like you said you get what you pay for...

I've used small, off the beaten track shops that do the lot and not much difference from the main road shops apart from the price..

I've used Windsor tailors on Suk 20 for some trousers and shirts recently, mainly for convenience as too where I work. All excellent at a reasonable price...

• Like 2

I use a tailor who comes to my home now. He split from the main shop because he thought they were being too greedy and overcharging. Now, he has his own selection of fabrics and offers better quality and better service than the shop where I met him. He doesn't have a shop currently, so his overhead costs are low. He charges me around 1,000 baht a shirt and 1,500 for trousers which I think is a pretty good deal.

For a brick and mortar type of operation, I suggest Tailor on Ten. They are great, and they won't be using any so-called "hard-sale" tactics. Their website is as follows: http://www.tailoronten.com/

For lower prices and pretty good quality, a lot of friends go to a tailor at the end of On Nut on Sukhumvit Road. I think it's called Suitsara or something along those lines. They aim for the Thai market, and their prices reflect it. They do excellent work without all of the bells and whistles of the lower Sukhumvit shops.

Good Luck!

Although I don't live in Bangkok I am often there and would be grateful for a contact address (phone #) of the tailor mentioned by you.

For some years I have been a client of a tailor shop in Sukuhmvit, but as of recently I am not too pleased withtheir work.

Been using Raja's, now near the front of Soi 8, formerly in Soi 4 for 26 years now. Best quality by far, but now taking the piss price-wise. You MUST go in with the name of an existing long term punter, or he will treat you like a tourist and price and quality would come accordingly.

I just stopped using him due to a spat over his current pricing and a friend recommended me to a place called Nini on Pattaya second road. Not quite the attention to detail of Raja's, but half the price and perfectly acceptable.

I would recommend getting your trwsrs from Raja's and then going online to T.M. Lewin of Jermyn street for your shirts. For some years now, the shirtsmiths of Jermyn Street have been having a price war and you can get 4 of the best shirts money can buy for a hundred pounds English. You need someone to go over their required measurements on you with a tape, then order with confidence.

HTH.

• Like 1

Good Luck!

Although I don't live in Bangkok I am often there and would be grateful for a contact address (phone #) of the tailor mentioned by you.

For some years I have been a client of a tailor shop in Sukuhmvit, but as of recently I am not too pleased withtheir work.

I'd like to know, too!

I'd like to know, too!

Edited by pacovl46

Rajawongse on front of landmark hotel, lower sukhumvit. Suits at around 12 k incl. Shirts and extra trousers. Indian family run business who used to make suits for president Bush. Good family, good material, good workmanship, good suit.

I get mine from there too and had no problems.. Have loads of shirts. Not sure what they charge. I think about 1200b. I wear them regularly and they are showing no signs of wear even after a cpl of years.

There is a company on Facebook, but for the life of me I can not remember the name, they have a website too. On the website you can size yourself and everything, along with choose your fabric etc,, Prices worked out fairly good, considering, I also believe it is run by a non Thai or Asian, possibly a European.

Edited by Psych01

I assume off-the-peg won't work, as there are some good brands available and so long as you don't let the assistant 'iron' the trousers, their adjustments are normally ok. For tailor-made, there is a lot of choice, and one I have had recommended by a client and friend, who is finicky enough, is Art's, though they are pricey and I've never tried them. But for the money you're looking to spend, you're not expecting cheap, anyway, so Art's apart, there is Bobby's in Sukhumvit Soi 4. Good and accurate - they will measure, so don't bother with existing clothes, not least because you might have changed - Bobby is also garrulous, and full of often unwanted advice. Around the corner, in Sukhumvit, is his brother's shop - they don't get on, so say - Raja's. Good value and I have had shirts made there, as well as suits. Silk and cotton mix is a good choice, but check the final item as, for example, the pockets sometimes need tidying up.

Rajawongse on front of landmark hotel, lower sukhumvit. Suits at around 12 k incl. Shirts and extra trousers. Indian family run business who used to make suits for president Bush. Good family, good material, good workmanship, good suit.

I get mine from there too and had no problems.. Have loads of shirts. Not sure what they charge. I think about 1200b. I wear them regularly and they are showing no signs of wear even after a cpl of years.

I know the photo is there but I'm not convinced he actually made a suit for Bush.

• Like 1

Been using Raja's, now near the front of Soi 8, formerly in Soi 4 for 26 years now. Best quality by far, but now taking the piss price-wise. You MUST go in with the name of an existing long term punter, or he will treat you like a tourist and price and quality would come accordingly.

I just stopped using him due to a spat over his current pricing and a friend recommended me to a place called Nini on Pattaya second road. Not quite the attention to detail of Raja's, but half the price and perfectly acceptable.

I would recommend getting your trwsrs from Raja's and then going online to T.M. Lewin of Jermyn street for your shirts. For some years now, the shirtsmiths of Jermyn Street have been having a price war and you can get 4 of the best shirts money can buy for a hundred pounds English. You need someone to go over their required measurements on you with a tape, then order with confidence.

HTH.

Thomas Pink shirts are available in Bangkok, but the prices - way more than you would pay in England - suggest the Thai market, where more always equates to better.

I use Harry's Boutique they are located on Suhkamvint. Their phone number is as follows: 081-6893820. They have great prices and their work is top shelf. Once they take your measurements they will keep them on file and you can call them and order your clothing from them and they will send it to you wherever you are. I had a couple of suits made there one was an Armani and the other a Hugo Boss style suit and they look and fit wonderfully. They have a wonderful selection of materials. The best part is they are not high pressure in any way. Hope it all works out for you.

I know that OP didn't ask this but PLEASE PLEASE do not have suits made in Thailand sick.gif

No matter where you go and what you buy it just is not going to have the styling that is considered fashionable in developed countries. If you must! then my suggestion would be to buy an off the rack suit in Europe/USA etc that is a bit bigger than what you need, then have it altered to your body shape in Thailand.

For the person that is paying 1000-1500 thb in BKK... sounds quite expensive. I think I pay half that for egyptian cotton (2-ply)

Even the stuff I got made at Rajas (incl egyptian cotton shirts) pales in comparison to the stuff I bought in OZ and UK .. both are 2ply egyptian cotton. Check out rhodes and beckett or Duchamp to get an idea what I Am talking about.

there is a great place in the foyer of the Indra Regent Hotel Bkk l'm an ozzie guy and have many trousers suits and shirts made there very cheap and he is an excellent tailor l don't have his name with me but you can ask where tailor is at the hotel desk highly recomended

I have tried a few tailors on Sukhumvit in past few years and also tried a Thai tailor in the Sala Daeng area

For past 3-4 years I have had all my shirts, trousers and suits made at Majestic Tailors close by Landmark hotel and Rajawongse. Initially I got them to copy items but the stuff they have made to measure has been good too. I felt they had better choice of materials than Rajawongse.

Don't let the main man's sweet talking put you off...."Oooo suits you sir, suits you". Do these guys ever tell a customer they don't look a million dollars in their creations?!

• Like 1

Hi,

I have used Moon River, opposite Terminal 21.

I found Je-vay very honest and reliable.

He made my wedding suit and other items.

His choice of fabrics is international and well priced.

My late dad was a Saville Row tailor so I was brought up with quality tailoring and that is what I received at Moon River at a good price.

All work done on the premises.

His measurements are spot on and he listens to special requests.

Good luck, I will be there again next month.

One of the city's best known and most popular tailor's stores has changed name. Boss Apparels, below the National Stadium BTS station, has changed name to Mac by Boss Apparels. This is the only tailor's store in Bangkok I recommend. It's not the cheapest in town, but the owner is committed to quality garments and customer service. Whenever I need a new shirt or trousers, it's where I go. Take the skytrain to National Stadium and the store is below the station.

Good Luck!

Very professional website smileplur-------------

Not a budget establishment, but arguably the best (look at the autographed photos from some of the world heavyweights in diplomacy,rock and roll, actors, et al. to get a sense of how far Perry's fame has traveled.

Perry's Custom Tailor

Silom, just up from Patpong

http://m.travel.cnn.com/bangkok/shop/5-best-bangkok-tailors-218990