Tailor Made Shirts and Trousers in BKK

Bmouthboyo

There is a company on Facebook, but for the life of me I can not remember the name, they have a website too. On the website you can size yourself and everything, along with choose your fabric etc,, Prices worked out fairly good, considering, I also believe it is run by a non Thai or Asian, possibly a European.

Possibly The Tailor Store. I use them a lot ... a bit expensive compared to Bangkok 'tailors', but I get exactly what I want delivered to my home in Songkhla via UPS without any dramas. Best to order one of their cheaper fabrics first and adjust your saved measurements from there. They are Swedish owned, but the factory is in Sri Lanka. It's worth noting that the US version of the site appears to be quite a bit cheaper than the UK version.

Apologies if I seemed negative. I am under no illusion that I know everything about Bangkok. As you can tell, I have only recently moved here full time. However, I have already grown somewhat cynical about tailors. I'm sure you just want to inform the public of this business.

That said, I know a thing or two about tailoring in general. I'm not sure what "gucci,prada or armani as a tag name" has to do with anything. These are all luxury goods brands, none of whom produce fabric. So if a tailor does advertise these brands, they are fake. However, on the other hand, many tailors advertise "Italian wool" or "Egyptian cotton". The production of these fabrics is small and performed by few companies, all of which are reputable mills. Thus, if a brand name for one of these fabrics can not be proven (eg by an accompanying label), they are most likely not from the advertised origin - and subsequently often poly blends, which some people are happy with. People just have to know what they want and be careful to get it.

90% of the fabrics offered by the 'Indian Tailors' are from China - any tailor who tries to claim otherwise is best avoided. That's not to say all the fabrics are crap - they aren't, but you should be aware of what you are paying for

• 10 months later...

I have always used Gulatis on the corner of Soi 3. Like all tailors they can do any style and have all the latest fashion magazines to get ideas or copy from. I favour Paul Smith and Ted Baker. I am thinking of changing to Majestic who have French trained Loans tailors. Al the other tailors are Indian.

Wow so many suggestions thank you guys. At present I am not after an entire suit, although may be for a friends wedding soon. However trousers for work and some well fitted shirts are high on my list of to do's so will be heading to some listed soon.

I am out Bangna way so may try the ones near On Nut or opposite Seacon just for a nosey and go there. Are most tailors clearly priced or is it a haggle job?

If you'd like to avoid the Indian tailors https://www.twilles.com

Thai guy. Does mostly shirts and pants. Very good quality and not from the same factory most of the Indian guys get them done.

OB

Almost all my shirts (including the one I am wearing now, are made by K Somboon at Infini tailors in Thaniya Plaza. he is a Thai Master Tailor, an extremely pleasant man and he makes damn good shirts. A variety of cloths are available including high end stuff and he also makes suits and trousers.

I am looking for a Safari jacket that I can use on a holiday in Europe in a couple of months, is this the sort of thing that some tailor could make in Bangkok? I have been to the department stores and cannot find anything suitable.

Tailor on Ten.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This is the correct answer. Tailor On Ten is leaps and bounds above every other tailor in BKK.

I shudder to think about the workmanship and quality of materials most of you guys are getting at these other places. I guess chinese poly blends are all the rage for the Thai Visa brigade. :P

Tailor on Ten.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This is the correct answer. Tailor On Ten is leaps and bounds above every other tailor in BKK.

I shudder to think about the workmanship and quality of materials most of you guys are getting at these other places. I guess chinese poly blends are all the rage for the Thai Visa brigade. :P

It say it is Canadian owned. Not a people known for their sartorial elegance. shudder all you please but there are plenty of good tailors selling a wide range of materials including various silk mixes, wool mixes. I doubt your knowledge is absolute.

https://www.paulfredrick.com/custservice/pfglossary/

And don't expect miracles, like the "USD100 for a suit 4 shirts and a tie" cheesy.gif

Expect to pay between THB16,000 and THB25,000 for a quality pure wool suit (with 2 or 3 fittings), THB 2,400 for a shirt (for both items, prices would depend on the fabrics used).

OK, you can get cheaper BUT remember you get what you pay for thumbsup.gif

Edited by Fab5BKK

Suit Sara: http://profile.yellowpages.co.th/en/21830932648001

Everything made on the premises. Wide selection of fabrics. Clearly posted prices that are extremely reasonable. Free alterations after purchase (for a limited time. I think it's three or six months).

I get all my dress/work clothes from them. The quality is good, and I cen generally get 2-3 years out of a dress shirt and pair of trousers. IMO, worth checking out. Now they don't cater to tourists, so I hope your Thai is good enough :)

I am looking for a Safari jacket that I can use on a holiday in Europe in a couple of months, is this the sort of thing that some tailor could make in Bangkok? I have been to the department stores and cannot find anything suitable.

I have just emailed Tailor on Ten with a picture of the type of Safari jacket I would like made while at the same time having two trousers and about 4 shirts. Asked for an appointment anytime after I arrive on July 1st and that should leave sufficient time before my departure at the end of July so I will see what sort of response I get.

Edited by pitrevie

How long do you want the suit to, last? This another issue. why pay 25,000 baht for a suit? That is a western price. And it will be out of style in 2-3 years. Test the fabric by taking samples to check at home or with another tailor. 7000 baht for a decent kashmir wool silk mix. Anymore and you are being suckered.

Everything made on the premises. Wide selection of fabrics. Clearly posted prices that are extremely reasonable. Free alterations after purchase (for a limited time. I think it's three or six months).

I get all my dress/work clothes from them. The quality is good, and I cen generally get 2-3 years out of a dress shirt and pair of trousers. IMO, worth checking out. Now they don't cater to tourists, so I hope your Thai is good enough smile.png

Whereabouts on Sukhumvit is their shop? I know that the link gives the address but unless you're familiar with the area it doesn't help much.

I get all my dress/work clothes from them. The quality is good, and I cen generally get 2-3 years out of a dress shirt and pair of trousers. IMO, worth checking out. Now they don't cater to tourists, so I hope your Thai is good enough smile.png

Whereabouts on Sukhumvit is their shop? I know that the link gives the address but unless you're familiar with the area it doesn't help much.

They are within walking distance of the On Nut BTS station. They are on the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Sukhumvit soi 73 (if I remember correctly. Could be soi 75). Their sign is in Thai and English. Can't miss it.

Used Sam Surin in Nana. Samsurin.com. Picked out the fabric, style, etc. for two dress shirts and lightweight wool slacks. Beautifully done and fit perfectly. They made slight adjustments upon final fitting. I didn't care for the monogram on the shirts though. Too small to read but I didn't feel like complaining. Cost for the 3 items was 60000 bt.

How long do you want the suit to, last? This another issue. why pay 25,000 baht for a suit? That is a western price. And it will be out of style in 2-3 years. Test the fabric by taking samples to check at home or with another tailor. 7000 baht for a decent kashmir wool silk mix. Anymore and you are being suckered.

It's all about quality and style. You get what you paid for.

Obviously, you have no idea about Western Prices...

Just try to get a bespoke suit in Savile Row for USD700... Bespoke suits in Europe are between GBP2,500 - GBP5,000

Just too funny!

Edited by Fab5BKK

They can make anything. Draw it or show them.a photograph

Just got a reply from Tailor on Ten they are unable to make a Safari jacket so I guess I will have to try some other places.

Just to update this I tried two more tailors Perry and Nickermann neither of which replied. Full marks to Tailor on Ten for at least having the courtesy to reply to a customers request.

Telephone Gulatis

Alas Gulati's are unable to produce Safari jackets. Maybe I will just ask Dr Livingstone who tailored his Safari jacket. I cannot imagine that he would have gone into deepest Africa in anything but the finest tailored Safari jacket, he didn't strike me as the vest, shorts and flip flop type.

I am surprised that Gulatis can not help. I thought they could do anything. What's so difficult about a safari jacket. If you want it for Europe then you need a Barbour jacket

Edited by The manic

I am surprised that Gulatis can not help. I thought they could do anything. What's so difficult about a safari jacket. If you want it for Europe then you need a Barbour jacket

Yep I don't understand either, I just need it for a month or so in the summer. Its just an ordinary jacket with a couple more pockets I wouldn't have thought it was a difficult assignment. If you have Roger Moore's address I will try him.

Hello TVF,

First post recommending specific businesses... always sketchy. However, here's my 2 satang:

1) Stating cost on a thread like this here is ridiculous. It's like asking how much should a car cost? Depends if you want a tuk-tuk or a Maserati - and I've found all types of in-between bastardisations here in the Big Mango. There's very few tailors that will actually make you a quality suit where the material is not fused for shape (glued together) and the labour that goes into these different garments could be just 3 hours in a factory or 50 hours at the master tailor's bench.

2) Imported material is expensive in Thailand due to tariffs - the same Italian 170/2 cotton you'd pick up in a bargain bin in Milan for pocket change will cost you 3x as much here in Thailand. The savings come in the cheap labour - but you get what you pay for.

3) You really need to know what you want or you'll be sold whatever the tailor is good at making or what's in Thai fashion. For example, your dress shirts: length/bottom cut, placket styles, gauntlet buttons, collar fusing stiffness, darts vs. box pleat vs. side pleat? Trousers: pleats, break, pocket slant, hem protection, lining?

4) IMHO, unless you're shaped like a Thai (thinner with proportionally flat bottom) then avoid a Thai tailor that deals only with locals. If you're like us North Americans and raised on KFC and MacDonalds, the Thai tailors will have a hard time fitting you properly through the seat of your pants to getting the drape correct on the legs.

5) If a tailor does women's clothing, odds are they're a better tailor than those that only do men's. Why? Let's be honest, women have a more discerning eye for fashion and detail. A tailor that will not cater to women is one that doesn't want the hassle of creating quality products (and women don't fulfill their clothing needs at 0100hrs after stumbling out of Nana).

As OP wanted shirts, my opinion on the best place to get quality shirts in BKK is at Duly - they now have a small shop in the Siam Kempinski Hotel just behind Siam Paragon: but you pay for it. You can still get a decent-wearable shirt at a few of the other big names; Pinky's, Rajawongse, ToT, but they will not have those high-end finishes for a custom fit (split yokes, French-style single-needled seems, under-rotated sleeves and various hand stitched finishes).

For trousers, I used to use Narin at Royal tailors on Suk 3 before I researched my clothing and he always made younger-me some decent clothing - comparable to a nicely fitted off-the-rack stuff from a Western store (note the lower section of the store is now his Wife's purse and shoe enterprise - Ochina(?) or something).

I highly recommend Tanika, near Sukhumvit 14 just off the Asoke BTS station, for trousers and jackets. They're one of the few that'll make a fully canvassed jacket. It took me 3 fittings my first sets of trousers and I really enjoy the way they wear - I'm headed back for another pair and some more casual slacks as well.

I personally haven't tried Narin Couture for trousers but hear he can make nice clothing if you, again, have done your research or have a picture of exactly what you want.

I'm always open to people's experiences and hoping to hear specifically if anyone has used July Tailor over in Silom (heard he can be pretentious if you're not Thai Hi-So) or Tramp tailor in the O.P. shopping mall.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

DirtyDan

Edited by DirtyDan
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...