Tailor Made Shirts and Trousers in BKK

Bmouthboyo

Tailor on Ten gets my vote, going for another fitting tomorrow, great service and product, not cheap but I believe you get what you pay for.

A lot of people praise ToT and they must be doing something right to attract their clientele as their mail-order business seems to be booming.

I have three shirts from ToT as that's the minimum you can order. From those three shirts, I took two back when one had the armpit seem come apart after wearing for 5 hours, and the other for correcting the collar stitching that was loose, and the stripes that didn't match on the pocket and yoke - they repaired both without hesitation and were pleasant the entire time. I believe their shirts are made off-site despite their website saying tailors in-house because I had to wait for my contact to arrive with the shirts in a bag (I assume they mean the suit tailors are on site?).

But of those three shirts, none fit me as though they were actually tailored for me. Both the cotton shirts have sleeves that are too short (one more so than the other - I've worn both but only casually with the sleeves rolled up as they cannot be worn under a jacket.) and the linen shirt looks like a maternity smock for a pregnant woman carrying her unborn baby in her spine... seriously I have 9 extra inches of material in the back. The buttons are sewn on too closely to the placket so when you button the shirt it pulls against itself making the front look frumpled (the buttons are not shanked properly). A tailored shirt should fit like a second skin and the patterns they're using did not work on me.

They do have attentive service and give you a great sales pitch with a beer (if you want). Another plus is they have decent quality materials - this is the cornerstone of their marketing I believe. But overall, I only agree with you on one point you made: you're right, they're not cheap.

Edited by DirtyDan
  • Thanks 1

Tailor on Ten gets my vote, going for another fitting tomorrow, great service and product, not cheap but I believe you get what you pay for.

A lot of people praise ToT and they must be doing something right to attract their clientele as their mail-order business seems to be booming.

I have three shirts from ToT as that's the minimum you can order. From those three shirts, I took two back when one had the armpit seem come apart after wearing for 5 hours, and the other for correcting the collar stitching that was loose, and the stripes that didn't match on the pocket and yoke - they repaired both without hesitation and were pleasant the entire time. I believe their shirts are made off-site despite their website saying tailors in-house because I had to wait for my contact to arrive with the shirts in a bag (I assume they mean the suit tailors are on site?).

But of those three shirts, none fit me as though they were actually tailored for me. Both the cotton shirts have sleeves that are too short (one more so than the other - I've worn both but only casually with the sleeves rolled up as they cannot be worn under a jacket.) and the linen shirt looks like a maternity smock for a pregnant woman carrying her unborn baby in her spine... seriously I have 9 extra inches of material in the back. The buttons are sewn on too closely to the placket so when you button the shirt it pulls against itself making the front look frumpled (the buttons are not shanked properly). A tailored shirt should fit like a second skin and the patterns they're using did not work on me.

They do have attentive service and give you a great sales pitch with a beer (if you want). Another plus is they have decent quality materials - this is the cornerstone of their marketing I believe. But overall, I only agree with you on one point you made: you're right, they're not cheap.

Wow, that's interesting to know. Can I ask you why you accepted the shirts with the extra 9 inches, shanked buttons and the sleeves too short? I have had 2 fittings and discuss with the tailor about how it feels, length and fit. I only pay 50% deposit and balance on completion once I am happy with what I have ordered. I agree the shirts should fit like a second skin, so why did you pay the balance before getting the problems sorted? I will ask about the tailor 'being on site' for you when I am back there next week. If I was you I would go back and demand your money be returned, if they have done it wrong or at least rectify the problems for you!

Wow, that's interesting to know. Can I ask you why you accepted the shirts with the extra 9 inches, shanked buttons and the sleeves too short? I have had 2 fittings and discuss with the tailor about how it feels, length and fit. I only pay 50% deposit and balance on completion once I am happy with what I have ordered. I agree the shirts should fit like a second skin, so why did you pay the balance before getting the problems sorted? I will ask about the tailor 'being on site' for you when I am back there next week. If I was you I would go back and demand your money be returned, if they have done it wrong or at least rectify the problems for you!

Comedy of errors on my part... paid the second half of the balance and then they kept the shirts for a quality control issue (a cuff which they fixed on the one shirt), and then they were picked up by my partner. But as I said, when I took the two serious problems back, they were fixed and they even offered a beer.

So far as asking for money back, there comes a point when additional trips to lower Sukhumvit are no longer worth the hassle - I can't negotiate my arm length. A lot of people like ToT and recommend their work, I'll leave it at that. Like I've said, they have wonderful customer service (and even made a TV account to PM me after my last post here to see how they can make things better). This was a trial and it's concluded, the money I spent I did so in searching BKK for a good tailor.

I'm not shaped like a bell-ringer but I definitely have a non-standard body type. My shirts back in the fatherland used to cost 15-16,000 bht each to have made, so it's worth it to continue trying to find something here.

I'm still searching for the BKK tailor that can work with me because even my current go-to uses cheap threading which causes buttons to come loose - a simple issue which they don't seem inclined to fix, 'Just bring it back and we'll re-sew it'. It's an adventure seeing as there's so many clothing merchants here in BKK ranging from a couple that have high quality materials (but mediocre craftsmanship) to outright scam artists and everything in between. (My brother laughs at my tailor search and says I should just give up and come home or try Hong Kong at least).

For example, there's another shirt maker, Duly, that can order wonderful materials (210/2 + cotton), but, like most shops, does not have a tailor in house - sizing was by a person that did not sew herself and the fittings involved sms-ing pictures to whomever it was that was doing the actual cutting. Plus they only got my fitting even close (third fitting) after giving up measuring me and simply copied the shirt I wore in... 1) If I liked the shirt I was wearing when I walked in, I wouldn't be here and 2) I might as well stay with the person that made the first mediocre shirt!

I would be interested if anyone has experience with July (Silom) or Tramp (Silom near Sirroco) as they'll be my post- Christmas experiments.

I have tried a few tailors on Sukhumvit in past few years and also tried a Thai tailor in the Sala Daeng area

For past 3-4 years I have had all my shirts, trousers and suits made at Majestic Tailors close by Landmark hotel and Rajawongse. Initially I got them to copy items but the stuff they have made to measure has been good too. I felt they had better choice of materials than Rajawongse.

Don't let the main man's sweet talking put you off...."Oooo suits you sir, suits you". Do these guys ever tell a customer they don't look a million dollars in their creations?!

I too have had good luck with Majestic...both copies of some samplrs and some original creations. Always top notch fabrics and tailoring. I've also bought from Rajas (around Suk. and Soi 11) but don't know if they're still there. Stuff I bought from both these shops 15 years ago still looks like new and I can still wear them I'm proud to say. There is nothing like the fit and finish of custom made clothes.

Your 450 baht shirt will look like you paid 450 baht..why not buy better cloth? Stand out from all the other farang that look so old and poor...

Oh please...who you tryin to impress? Quality well fitted and made clothes should be worn for the comfort and pleasure of the wearer and not to impress anyone. If the guy only needs a B 450 shirt and is happy wit it that's all that matters.

Rajawongse is on Suk. between Landmark Hotel and Soi 4, it is run by father and son jesse and Victor. Shirts cost 1200baht pants I donot know. They send material out to their own tailor for cutting and sewing. If you cannot pickup they will mail to your address. Photo s of Presidents Bush, clinton and obumer.

I did a googlesearch on line and these guys show up on many of the top ten list

• 2 years later...

You get what you pay for - to a degree, but lately the combination of generally rising Thai prices and the high baht make getting suits/clothes made here a less appealing affair in general. The best suit I have ever had made was in HK, by Raja and fit much better than an Italian custom tailored suit that was 3x the price, though the Italian fabric was nicer. I used to pay a tailor 600-800 baht for cotton shirts here and now they are 1200-1500. Take the dollar which is down 25% or so against the baht and to be honest I can buy better clothing elsewhere, cheaper

7 hours ago, Japhrodisiac said:

You get what you pay for - to a degree, but lately the combination of generally rising Thai prices and the high baht make getting suits/clothes made here a less appealing affair in general. The best suit I have ever had made was in HK, by Raja and fit much better than an Italian custom tailored suit that was 3x the price, though the Italian fabric was nicer. I used to pay a tailor 600-800 baht for cotton shirts here and now they are 1200-1500. Take the dollar which is down 25% or so against the baht and to be honest I can buy better clothing elsewhere, cheaper

It is a bit like everything else in Thailand. Prices are going up. Specially in the past 5 years or so. The exchange rate is also a pretty big factor. Brits and Aussies are getting hosed on the AUD and GBP.

Tailor On Ten is still the best place to go in 2017. You will still pay less than you would abroad, but it just isn't super cheap anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, i am a frequent traveler mostly for business to Bangkok and I agree that prices start to get higher in Thailand but if you compare the workmanship and service you still get a very good deal in Bangkok. I have my tailor in Sukhumvit Soi 16, Charlie's Design and Joe with his team has served me more than 3 years now and I am very satisfied with their high grade fabrics collection (Zenga, VBC, Marzoni), workmanship and services. Usually after the 2nd fitting all is perfect. I am highly recommending Charlie's Design and would advise you to make a visit, if you can't find the right tailor for you. They also have a website ( charlies-design.com ) and after collecting your measurements you can easily order your next shirt or suit online from them. Leave me a reply after your visit.

On 1/9/2018 at 3:56 PM, markusdeutscher said:

I am very satisfied with their high grade fabrics collection (Zenga, VBC, Marzoni), workmanship and services.

What is the best reasonably priced fabric appropriate for a tropical suit? 

On 1/13/2018 at 8:42 PM, dddave said:

What is the best reasonably priced fabric appropriate for a tropical suit? 

Hi Dave, I prefer Linen as it is lightweight and breathable, I bought my 2 linen suits for 15.000 baht each as I want great workmanship and long lasting suits.  Charlie's has also mohair and other great wool and cotton fabrics which are more luxurious, give them a ring or contact them online and enjoy their excellent services. Let me know how it went.

4 hours ago, markusdeutscher said:

Hi Dave, I prefer Linen as it is lightweight and breathable, I bought my 2 linen suits for 15.000 baht each as I want great workmanship and long lasting suits.  Charlie's has also mohair and other great wool and cotton fabrics which are more luxurious, give them a ring or contact them online and enjoy their excellent services. Let me know how it went.

Thanks.  I don't know why linen didn't occur to me. I've always liked the way it looked.  Any downsides to linen?  

I plan on ordering a blazer and a suit sometime in May when my financial situation will improve considerably.

Low quality cotton fabric is why I give them all a miss.  I buy wrinkle free Pima cotton from all bean in tall sizes and pick up in the us to avoid tax ripoffs.  Gotten 8 years out if them...big divi on no iron, too.  Oh, BTW, the solid color on the striped shirt went out of style about 20 years ago..maybe inform the Nepalese guys.