one week job without work permit

hi everyone,

I received an offer to work 6 days only, for such a short period the recruitment agency doesn't want to issue a work permit.

I've worked 1 year and half in Thailand with a work permit before, I stopped a month ago and I'm currently on a tourist visa.

Is there any Thai law allowing foreigner to work for a week without the need of a work permit and business visa?

You can apply for a temporary work permit, which allows you up to 14 days.

Not a lot of paperwork needed I believe, and it is issued same day.

I don;t know the full criteria though, but it is intended for contractors who come into Thailand to do small jobs.

edit:
1) Foreigners who enter the Kingdom temporarily – but in accordance with the immigration laws – to perform any work of any “urgent and essential nature” for a period not exceeding 15 days, may be exempted of the work permit for this period of time. They have to receive a written notification, signed by the foreigner and endorsed by his employer and accepted by the Director-General.

Edited by Satcommlee

Thanks for this good information, do you think a business visa is also required for this temporary work permit? I'm going to search on google for temporary work permit

Yes it does, but typically the application for WP is approved within 24 hours, you don't get a blue book, but a letter from the DOL which permits you to work for a period not exceeding 15 days

So I would need to cancel my tourist visa then apply for business visa, work 6 days and re-apply for a tourist visa.

You would need a non-b visa that you probably would have to leave the country to get, The visa would give you a 90 day entry. After that you would have to go out for another tourist visa.

Well the chances of getting caught are quite low, especially if only working for a week. HOWEVER, there is a provision for temporary work permits issued to holders of tourist visas for work performed not exceeding 15 days. For such work, NO non-B is required. I have helped to issue such permits for foreigners coming to perform for only a day in Thailand before and all they held were visa exempt entries.

I've been involved in doing volunteer work where everyone was listed on one of those temporary 14 day work permits and most of the volunteers were people here on non-imm O visas with retirement extensions or O-A visas. Don't know if that would also be allowed if the temporary 14 day work permit was issued for paying, not volunteer, work.

This is the form for Notification for engagement in necessary and urgent work under Section 9:

WP.10 Necessary and urgent work - S.9.pdf

It is used also for paid work of the type listed in this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/109498-visas-for-professional-golfers/#entry1180394

Issued the day after application. No government fee due.