It is getting embarassing to say I live in Thailand

simon43

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of the West Virginia drinking water problems, 9/11, NSA, government shutdown, Monica Lewinsky, Bernie Madoff, 509 state executions in Texas in the last 40 years, BP oil spill......just for starters. What's to be embarrassed about by living in Thailand?

people assuming every farang is here to bang hookers gets a bit boring after a while

you say i live in thailand and you can feel them thinking negatively but who gives a <deleted>

what people think ?

• Like 1

Thinking of the West Virginia drinking water problems, 9/11, NSA, government shutdown, Monica Lewinsky, Bernie Madoff, 509 state executions in Texas in the last 40 years, BP oil spill......just for starters. What's to be embarrassed about by living in Thailand?

people assuming every farang is here to bang hookers gets a bit boring after a while

you say i live in thailand and you can feel them thinking negatively but who gives a <deleted>

what people think ?

not every one but a lot do come to bang.....thailand is boring wo the bargirls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that Monica Lewinsky is not kneeling under my desk?

that Monica Lewinsky is not kneeling under my desk?

hopefully not ,shes a hag

Not so much embarrassing...more like unjustifiable...with all the daily dose of BS...plus now the political unrest and uncertainties for Thailand's future...really have to dig deep to find something worth staying for...outside...of course...wife and family...

Women...beer...good food...beaches...and beautiful scenery...can all be found elsewhere...

what people think ?

not every one but a lot do come to bang.....thailand is boring wo the bargirls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sexpat subject does come up as implied or in direct conversation on those family visits back to the US. You may be old enough to not care what others think, but you still have to deal with the issue.

One of the ways of dealing with it is by taking care of yourself while you are here and working out. That way, when you show photos of your GF or wife who is old enough to be your daughter it's obvious that you are taking care of your body and are not just fat, drunk and letting yourself go and begging the question of why you have let yourself go in paradise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZqfUzax3kE

If someone really wants to dwell on the world's problem-countries these days, I would say Ukraine and Sudan and a few others might crop up well before Thailand for whom many the response is "Thailand -- where's that?"

Exactly. Here in the US nobody gives a shit or knows anything about Thailand, and NOTHING about the recent troubles makes the news, at all. The only ones of us who care are those who have lived there or visit regularly.

Ah, the US... "Here in the US nobody gives a shit or knows anything about <insert any other country name here>, and NOTHING about the recent troubles makes the news, at all." Sorry... this Canadian couldn't resist the friendly jab. smile.png

• Like 2

I had friends contact me with concern recently and offers of accommodations back there if we needed to evacuate.

I sent them the dancing navy video and told them this is what the armed forces are up to currently.

One of my customer thinks Taiwan and Thailand is the same country.

The nice lady in the bank in Farangland, asked me how good I can speak Chinese now as I live in Thailand.

Another customer who knows that I always do the R&D work over public holidays, gave me a ton of work to do over the Chinese New Year holidays.

Beside the bank lady, the other two hold university degrees and are in management positions.....

For most people Thailand is just an exotic country somewhere in Africa or Caribbean somewhere near Cuba and Jamaica....

You should explain the difference is that Taiwan used to be part of China and that Thailand will be in the future. wink.png

Becoming the laughing stock of the world? A farce?

I fail to see this.

All I see is rampant corruption, people getting sick and tired of Thaksinomics and a deep division in Thai society created by politicians manipulating and stoking discontent on both sides.

Unlike the violent social discontent currently seen in Ukraine or the Arab spring movements I think Thailand's situation is pretty mild. So maybe the mildness makes it farcical?

I think we'd be the laughing stock of the world if we kept putting up with such blatant abuse of power and unprecedented levels of corruption by an elected government.

Edited by smileydude

If someone really wants to dwell on the world's problem-countries these days, I would say Ukraine and Sudan and a few others might crop up well before Thailand for whom many the response is "Thailand -- where's that?"

Exactly! Whenever I tell people I am going to Thailand and I do it every year for at least a decade and the same people get told,....the response more often than not is," is it safe to go to Taiwan right now" ?

Thailand has its ongoing political problems, but I am noticing many foreign tourists here in Chiang Mai- and they are main stream folks smile.png

Taking the long view, the Thais just might work it out smile.png

The hype of the sensational stories might be amusing but the mundane every day stuff is more of an issue for me: poor traffic regulation, tiny or non existing side walks and trying to cross the street smile.png

If you are this hypersensitive to a very few minor defects, if you can even call it that,

Then how will you survive anywhere but the Scandinavian countries, maybe.

Just enjoy the time you are here in Thailand.

Maybe get yourself a skateboard and tool down the line in the center of the road.

It is because this country is rapidly becoming the laughing stock of the world.

It could always be worse. Imagine telling people you are in the USA, which is the gold-standard of idiocy on the planet today.

• Like 1

It could always be worse. Imagine telling people you are in the USA, which is the gold-standard of idiocy on the planet today.

It could be even worse, and some of you might need to admit you live in, or come from, the rock pounding capital of the world,

Where they just stand around all day and pound rocks.

We know what Aberdeen looks like in HK,

And where did you say you come from?

It is enough to get one to move to Thailand,

Where no one in their right mind walks around with a sledge.

(And any pounding to be done is done with a member's member.)

Edited by PedMakMakMak

Has been laughing stock of where i come from for a long time. ITs always how MUCH is lady stay with you? OR you better use condom!!!!!

They think the only reason guys to to LOS or PI is for bargirls. How offensive-even though they are right in many cases...............lol.

''How offensive-even though they are right in many cases...............lol.,''

Most cases....most...whistling.gif

I'm a chauffeur in San Francisco, I tell all my clients I live half time in Thailand, they all ask about the Protests and say how Lucky I am , maybe a more Cultured part of The States...

Could also be sampling bias, since most of the folks that use a chauffeur...

Gonna get worse this weekend when CNN will air a special investigation documentary on the plight of the Thai Fishermen with accusations of kidnapping torture, held prisoner and murder of workers being tossed overboard from the fishing vessels. CNN says Thailand is one of the biggest fish exporters in the world.

Interesting you should mention this. In today's BBC news magazine there is an article on this very subject - Forced Labour (Slavery) on Thai Fishing Boats. See....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25814718

Big silver bird in sky take white man to land far away

You took the words right out of my mouth.....almost.

I would have said, "Chief Two Dogs Screwing says Big Silver Bird take Pail Face to Land of the Setting Sun for many Moons"

But... yours is good and close enough.