Highway Police

techno

I am quite sure there are many more good reports on the BIB.

Just not the accepted standard of Thai Visa posters.

Like they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The others just no credit what so ever.

Hope to hear more experiences of this kind.

My wife was stopped for not wearing a helmet. She had to go to the cop shop and pay the 400 baht fine at that time.

That was a good thing for the BIB to do. It is called doing their job.

• Like 1

The police do a decent job on highway crossings at school run time, assisting traffic across the superhighway etc. Thumbs up for that.

Then they go and set up their checkpoints to collect the cash, & lose all their credibility....

Great story Techno, thanks. Nice counter-balance to the usual TV rants.

And if police are unpopular with checkpoints to encourage folks to wear helmets, that's tough. If everyone wore a helmet as in other countries, then no need for roadblocks.

I'm not referring to helmet checks, but extortion on major highways, often causing large tailbacks. Better they drive around, taking action against traffic offenders. But that would require working & using their heads.....

• Like 1

I'm not referring to helmet checks, but extortion on major highways, often causing large tailbacks. Better they drive around, taking action against traffic offenders. But that would require working & using their heads.....

It wasnt a poke at you ME. Just a general comment about police trying to encourage riders to wear helmets-as they should imo.

But despite driving many miles I have yet to experience a long police-induced tailback. Just lucky I guess

The police do a decent job on highway crossings at school run time, assisting traffic across the superhighway etc. Thumbs up for that.

Then they go and set up their checkpoints to collect the cash, & lose all their credibility....

First you make a list of good things they do then you say they have no credibility.

I feel for you. I to am having a hard time not just knocking them so I am making an effort to give credit where credit is due. Not take it away from them.

Not that easy after reading Thai Visa and listening to some friends I have who are still trying to compare Thailand to the countries they come from. But I am making an effort.

I think even the BIB are getting better.

I got stopped at a checkpoint near the north east corner of the moat.

They seem to have expanded their range of places to extract no drivers license money from tourists.

I told the guy I will pay at the station only after I go to get my license from the condo.

After a while he asked me if had no money. I said I had plenty but will not pay here.

He just sent me off with no ticket.

If people would stop paying road side bribes I think a lot of the checkpoints would dry up.

• Like 2

i really dont know why people have problems with THE police?

Not wearing à helmet Then iT is fair you have an ticket.

Driving too fast? Then iT is fair you have an ticket.

Not wearing an Seatbelt fair to have an ticket.

Etc etc just keep you on THE law of this country and accept when you are wrong.

I had 2 tickets in 5 years, one for wrong parking and one for making an not alowed u turn.

I didnt complain but just pais as i was wrong.

So dont complain About THE policy if you want to change THE rules.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Its not the police per se that is the problem, its the general corruption and extortion of individuals on the road for their own personal gain.

They can stop you because you look like a tourist, if you have the helmet they then target your pillion, then ask for licence, if you have licence they look for a fault on the bike,car..just look at their face next time they send you on your way.....they are thoroughly pi$$ed off.

So you see how they are untrustworthy and actually don't care about road safety.

Its not the police per se that is the problem, its the general corruption and extortion of individuals on the road for their own personal gain.

They can stop you because you look like a tourist, if you have the helmet they then target your pillion, then ask for licence, if you have licence they look for a fault on the bike,car..just look at their face next time they send you on your way.....they are thoroughly pi$$ed off.

So you see how they are untrustworthy and actually don't care about road safety.

Of course not ALL of them. The OP offered money to reward their help and they refused it. Bad apples in every barrel but not every apple is bad eh?

• Like 1