What internet security does everyone use?

vistana

I never paid for security software and my PCs are very secure.

I use the free version of Avast in conjunction with the free Comodo, the firewall set on "custom" (i.e. nothing passes) and the Defense+ on "paranoid" (i.e. authorization is necessary for any program to do anything).

Since I have been doing that (about 4 years), I've had zero successful infections inspite of testing a good share of software from dubious sources and quite a few attempts. the infection gets stopped early, when the infected program asks for privileges it should not require, asks for access to unusual parts of the system or wants to unexpectedly connect to the internet. Everything gets stopped by Comodo, and infected emails, websites and files get detected by Avast.

Even when Avast lags behind a zero day exploit, Comodo stops it.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. My BIOS is password protected. (the only password I have to enter by keyboard)
2. All other passwords are entered via finger print scanner on my PC not on screen or by keyboard.
3. I don't log in as administrator.
4. For internet I use a proxy server.
5. Security Software: Kaspersky
(Several UK banks, offer "Internet Security 2013" for PC, Android or Mobile free of charge)
6. I block most ports on my PC.
7. My network settings are set to the highest level.

8. All my social networks have only basic info for the public to see.
9. I use Window Washer to clean regularly all traces left behind, when surfing the net.
10. No sensitive data is stored on my PC for more then 24 hours

11. All my documents are stored on a cloud and regularly backed up to a hard drive at home.

Edited by JoeLing

1. My BIOS is password protected. (the only password I have to enter by keyboard)

2. All other passwords are entered via finger print scanner on my PC not on screen or by keyboard.

(if you have a bank account with some UK banks, you can get "Internet Security 2013" for PC, Android or Mobile free of charge)

9. I use Window Washer to clean regularly all traces left behind, when surfing the net.

Your BIOS and hard drives probably have back doors. If you're a 'person of interest' it doesn't matter what you do. Your software ain't protecting you. Subscribe to https://www.eff.org/ or at least peruse the site. Forewarded in forearmed or something like that. Depends how paranoid you are.

• Like 1

(if you have a bank account with some UK banks, you can get "Internet Security 2013" for PC, Android or Mobile free of charge)

Your BIOS and hard drives probably have back doors. If you're a 'person of interest' it doesn't matter what you do. Your software ain't protecting you. Subscribe to https://www.eff.org/ or at least peruse the site. Forewarded in forearmed or something like that. Depends how paranoid you are.

Well, in order to get in to the BIOS, the person has to sit in front of my PC and as I don't log in as administrator,

any program wanting to change BIOS settings would first need to have administrative rights

Well, in order to get in to the BIOS, the person has to sit in front of my PC and as I don't log in as administrator,

any program wanting to change BIOS settings would first need to have administrative rights

http://boingboing.net/2013/12/29/nsa-has-a-50-page-catalog-of-e.html

This is just one of hundreds of current articles about BIOS hacks. They're compromised before they ever get to you.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

As I understand it Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer supported.

I ditched it about 9 months ago after a virus. I have a corrupt registry which is irreparable. The only solution is a complete reinstall which I shall do this weekend.

Since MSE I have been using Bit defender free version with which I have been very pleased. It's unobtrusive, effective and, best of all can be customized to accept files that I know to be fine but other antivirus programmes delete without so much as a by your leave.

Lots of people recommending MSE, as I did a year or 2 back. But Microsoft themselves no longer suggest it and will discontinue before too long.

Personally I use iptables and sudo, not had a virus since I switched.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just like to thank everyone who has replied... certainly given me something to think about.

Looks like a lot of the free ones could be worth a go along with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Best protection is your brain, but you might find the following reading worthy of interrest: http://www.zdnet.com/antivirus-on-windows-88-1-compared-7000025359/?s_cid=e539&ttag=e539

And this webpage too: http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.html

Sorry ...its for private use, just the one laptop.

Thanks for your replies to date.

I have the free versions of Spybot, Malewarebytes, and CC Cleaner which I run weekly on top of the Kaspersky Internet Security.

...repairs shop here in glasgow, scotland, just gives you Kaspersky when you get a service or whatever ( he is Polish)...best have ever experienced, would not thank you for any other....previously just used free deals from microsoft essentials, avast, etc....

We don't have any security, beside that it isn't allowed to download, or install anything from the internet, or pug in USB sticks.

we had 3 infections in 10 years:

1 caused by an infected usb stick plugged in by staff

1 by an infected usb stick from a customer that I plugged in

1 by starting an infected software from the internet by myself

So on the match on how is the bigger idiot boss or staff, I am leading 2:1

We have an old laptop offline for plugging in dirty usb sticks.

...you are clearly highly selective in your WWW searches...

Just like to thank everyone who has replied... certainly given me something to think about.

Looks like a lot of the free ones could be worth a go along with Microsoft Security Essentials.

...microsoft security essentials is free-too...

I used to use Zone alarm back in the days of dial-up. But with everything behind NAT routers and Windows having it's own firewall, there's a lot less need now.

For antivirus, it's one of AVG or Avira generally, depending on which I installed on which PC. (Kids mean lots of PCs in the house). For home use the free versions seem fine and if one goes back to nagging a lot, it's easy to switch to the other...

The biggest issue is usually preventing McAfee getting installed by something. Two anti viruses running is a recipe for performance issues.

The other biggie is to either uninstall Java completely or ensure you're on the latest version and remove all the old ones.

Edited by bkk_mike

Ok...

Kaspersky renewal approaching with high renewal cost...

Really desires local support center/customer service contact phone number...

FACT: Couldn't agree more that NORTON and MCCAFFEE run too many serivces, cpu, ram

After reading all the replies thus far seems that everyone truly has their own experiences/personal preference as to what suits them and their needs...that reflecting their expertise, knowledge, purpose and usage. Based on the responses that varied from freebies to megasuite packages.

Basically the nuts, boltsor guts of ALL virus protections consist of the same basic language and protections. What seems to vary the most is the interaction between the user and the program interface itself. Your level of comfort and understanding of your computer, usage, needs, personal comfort/paranoia levels and where you "REAL" concerns actually lay and risks.

If you know a thing or two about computers and how they function and operate, inside and out, what is normal, how it should be running, common start-ups and services that are either, whats services are automatic, manual or disabled, cpu activityand so forth.

Your own personal sense of security weighing against your own paranoia.

As with any tool or machine..."The best defense is a good offense"

Ok so bla bla bla.

I've personally tried many of those mentioned. Bitdefender, Norton, Symantec, AVG, Baidu, Avast...

They all did what they were supposed to do (I assume) as I stayed clean and they all did good at boosting my confidence in their products with the occassional ALERT advising me they caught something and put it in quarantie or deleted it WHOO HOOO. I got my moneys worth!! or did I?

Truth is I have run my computers/laptops for the past couple years with NOTHING. I do banking, various social websites, everyday surfing/researching, hacks and tweaks and so forth. 2 times in the last 6 years I encountered issues that I invited myself intentionally playing/downloading highrisk files. (last one being just 3 weeks ago) No I am not a hacker of sorts, well not a hacker for illegal or malicious purposes to harm or commit crimes against others. Ok getting off topic...

There are many scary words used like VIRUS, TROJAN, BACKDOOR, WORM, SPY, ATTACK, FIREWALL, ROOT

All marketing FEAR CAMPAIGNS (just like the US GOVERNMENT does to its people)

To answer the OP:

The freebies are just as good as the paid ones but not so pretty.

Some may actually have a paid employee answer the phone, in a timely matter at that and be polite and not be located in a call center in India. OK ok! Got carried away on that one.

I now am trying Bitdefender..

after extensive research, googling, surveys, reviews and so forth.. Bitdefender seemed to be leading them all on several of the most reputable websites. Cnet, Pcmag...

Whatever one you pick, you will never be 100%! PERIOD.. Sure PREVENTION is important. Whats the next thing you should be concerned with?

RECOVERY............

Now that will give you piece of mind when you have come to terms to accept that you WILL get something. Knowing that you have a duplicate of your system, which is why you have to train yourself to take the precautions necessary so when it DOES HAPPEN and it will, it happens to the best of us..the worst result is a few hour inconvenience of your recovery.

Many people think you just install security/virus protection and that your part is done. You must develop regular rituals and maintenance procedures to keep your computer running in tip top condition so if/when something does attack you, you will know it because your PC will feel/run differently. Same way you feel when something just isnt running/sounding right with your automobile. You know! At least you should before running your car to a siezed engine or a blown tire.

If and when my PC goes tits up, sure it is scary and pisses me off but I know I have all my files, media, documents, softwares backed up..

BACK UP, IMAGES

keep a separate, detached usb drive and sync it every weel or so..

I could go on for hours of the various rituals I have but ehhhhhhh

***For me, I download programs free of charge, though discussing thow may be some violation on Thaivisa.

• Like 1

Ok...

FACT: Couldn't agree more that NORTON and MCCAFFEE run too many serivces, cpu, ram

After reading all the replies thus far seems that everyone truly has their own experiences/personal preference as to what suits them and their needs...that reflecting their expertise, knowledge, purpose and usage. Based on the responses that varied from freebies to megasuite packages.

Basically the nuts, boltsor guts of ALL virus protections consist of the same basic language and protections. What seems to vary the most is the interaction between the user and the program interface itself. Your level of comfort and understanding of your computer, usage, needs, personal comfort/paranoia levels and where you "REAL" concerns actually lay and risks.

If you know a thing or two about computers and how they function and operate, inside and out, what is normal, how it should be running, common start-ups and services that are either, whats services are automatic, manual or disabled, cpu activityand so forth.

Ok so bla bla bla.

I've personally tried many of those mentioned. Bitdefender, Norton, Symantec, AVG, Baidu, Avast...

They all did what they were supposed to do (I assume) as I stayed clean and they all did good at boosting my confidence in their products with the occassional ALERT advising me they caught something and put it in quarantie or deleted it WHOO HOOO. I got my moneys worth!! or did I?

Truth is I have run my computers/laptops for the past couple years with NOTHING. I do banking, various social websites, everyday surfing/researching, hacks and tweaks and so forth. 2 times in the last 6 years I encountered issues that I invited myself intentionally playing/downloading highrisk files. (last one being just 3 weeks ago) No I am not a hacker of sorts, well not a hacker for illegal or malicious purposes to harm or commit crimes against others. Ok getting off topic...

There are many scary words used like VIRUS, TROJAN, BACKDOOR, WORM, SPY, ATTACK, FIREWALL, ROOT

To answer the OP:

Some may actually have a paid employee answer the phone, in a timely matter at that and be polite and not be located in a call center in India. OK ok! Got carried away on that one.

after extensive research, googling, surveys, reviews and so forth.. Bitdefender seemed to be leading them all on several of the most reputable websites. Cnet, Pcmag...

Whatever one you pick, you will never be 100%! PERIOD.. Sure PREVENTION is important. Whats the next thing you should be concerned with?

RECOVERY............

Now that will give you piece of mind when you have come to terms to accept that you WILL get something. Knowing that you have a duplicate of your system, which is why you have to train yourself to take the precautions necessary so when it DOES HAPPEN and it will, it happens to the best of us..the worst result is a few hour inconvenience of your recovery.

Many people think you just install security/virus protection and that your part is done. You must develop regular rituals and maintenance procedures to keep your computer running in tip top condition so if/when something does attack you, you will know it because your PC will feel/run differently. Same way you feel when something just isnt running/sounding right with your automobile. You know! At least you should before running your car to a siezed engine or a blown tire.

If and when my PC goes tits up, sure it is scary and pisses me off but I know I have all my files, media, documents, softwares backed up..

BACK UP, IMAGES

***For me, I download programs free of charge, though discussing thow may be some violation on Thaivisa.

Good post and a fascinating read, you're obviously a more than competent user.

I'm curious, why after having no problems, you decided to pay again [for Bitdefender] ?

Peronally I like free, so I've use AVG for yonks as I have no online banking to do.

Edited by johnnybgood

As I understand it Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer supported.

I ditched it about 9 months ago after a virus. I have a corrupt registry which is irreparable. The only solution is a complete reinstall which I shall do this weekend.

Since MSE I have been using Bit defender free version with which I have been very pleased. It's unobtrusive, effective and, best of all can be customized to accept files that I know to be fine but other antivirus programmes delete without so much as a by your leave.

I agree with the above and have been using Bitdefender free the the last year and very pleased with it - stays out of the way but is there when needed.

As noted people have good luck with all - but most of that is up to chance and there ability to avoid the obvious virus traps of clicking on an unknown link without careful consideration. But for the off-chance one of the best testing visa programs should be available to protect you so do check the most current reviews of various programs before making a decision - this can change over time so what was best last year may not be best now.

• Like 1

We don't have any security, beside that it isn't allowed to download, or install anything from the internet, or pug in USB sticks.

we had 3 infections in 10 years:

1 caused by an infected usb stick plugged in by staff

1 by an infected usb stick from a customer that I plugged in

1 by starting an infected software from the internet by myself

So on the match on how is the bigger idiot boss or staff, I am leading 2:1

We have an old laptop offline for plugging in dirty usb sticks.

Never had any security as well and NEVER had a virus problem or infection, using XP for 10 years. Just followed the simple safe computing rules that you can find on the internet. Now with Win7 you can easy make a system backup and thus no worries when it does happen, You have your backed up sysem back in 15 minutes.

Advantages:

-No nagging about downloading upated virus defenitions.

-No time wasting scans on boot up

-No false safe feeling

-A much faster computer

My gut feeling is that the Virus industry is a scam itself.

I'd reckon to purchase Kaspersky again, as it's the "Lamborghini" under the Anti virus programs. I can tell that through my own personal experience.

It might be 700 baht for one computer, but cheaper if you buy two/three licenses. -wai2.gif

These days simply being directed to an infected site will be sufficient to load you computer with malware which won't necessarily show up as a process.

never had any problems with both Firefox and Chrome. But I don't be on warez or naked girls pages as well it is forbidden for our staff to use internet for anything not job related.

We never used Internet Explorer...maybe that saved us from some potential problems. Anyhow mostly I am on Newspaper webpages.

For emails we only use Thunderbird.

We don't install any software that we don't need.

We use WinXP and Win7. We tried Linux but it didn work well.

I guess these restrictions are saving us.

As fiberman was already saying, there is no need to click on anything or (knowingly) download any file.

The biggest potential problem is that legitimate websites can be exploited to spread malware.

Also much of the malware out there is nowadays not only affecting IE but also Firefox and/or Chrome.

The most recent case I know of, was less than 3 weeks ago when Yahoo.com was compromised (http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2321092/yahoo-users-pcs-infected-by-malware-from-ads).

A similar thing also happened about 2 years ago to a popular Dutch news site (http://www.ehackingnews.com/2012/03/dutch-news-website-nunl-hacked-and.html), so even when you only visit "normal" websites, there is unfortunately still a risk to get infected by malware.

Anyway, lets just hope TV will never be targeted!wink.png

Ok...

Ok so bla bla bla.

To answer the OP:

RECOVERY............

BACK UP, IMAGES

Good post and a fascinating read, you're obviously a more than competent user.

I'm curious, why after having no problems, you decided to pay again [for Bitdefender] ?

Peronally I like free, so I've use AVG for yonks as I have no online banking to do.

I don't oay and like to try new things that others pay for to see if they are worth it...

3 weeks ago I downloaded a major virus on purpose and tried it against myself and it did things that I wasn't prepared for and I tried catching it as it slowly did its thing but it was very good

but I dont pay for any software =)