Going Great

kevvy

If your body thinks it is starving, it will fight you to put on more weight. It is not logical that way in that we have not biologically adapted to the overabundance of easily available calories in the modern world for most of us. That applies to underweight people and that applies to the morbidly obese as well. For obese people to fight against obesity basically means fighting where our species is at now in EVOLUTION. Too late to have this problem for many reading this forum, but really should be a warning message for people who aren't obese yet, especially children.

This explains why crash diets almost ALWAYS fail in the long run and commonly result in people being even fatter! The body is trying to save these people from starvation and becomes much much EFFICIENT in handling the small number of calories being eaten in the crash diet.

Knowing these unfortunate facts gives us some power in fighting against the evolutionary reality more intelligently.

On the frequency of weighing yourself question, the success stories database in the USA that I have referred to many times shows that the success cases OVERWHELMINGLY weigh themselves VERY OFTEN (as in daily or more). So I want to continue to be a success story as well, and do weight myself a lot as well. One tip -- get your own scale and don't let anyone else use it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your body thinks it is starving, it will fight you to put on more weight. It is not logical that way. That applies to underweight people and that applies to the morbidly obese as well. For obese people to fight against obesity basically means fighting where our species is at now in EVOLUTION. Too late to have this problem for many reading this forum, but really should be a warning message for people who aren't obese yet, especially children.

This explains why crash diets almost ALWAYS fail in the long run and commonly result in people being even fatter! The body is trying to save these people from starvation and becomes much much EFFICIENT in handling the small number of calories being eaten in the crash diet.

Knowing these unfortunate facts gives us some power in fighting against the evolutionary reality more intelligently.

On the frequency of weighing yourself question, the success stories database in the USA that I have referred to many times shows that the success cases OVERWHELMINGLY weigh themselves VERY OFTEN (as in daily or more). So I want to continue to be a success story as well, and do weight myself a lot as well. One tip -- get your own scale and don't let anyone else use it.

Crash diets almost always fail, because the successful aren't whining about it.......It doesn't matter how efficient your body is. If you don't eat too much you won't gain weight.

If you crash diet and than you eat junk like before you will get the same fat or even worse.

If you crash diet and than eat moderate and healthy, you'll gain the water you lost and a bit more till you stabilized yourself and with time your body get used to it. Still you easier gain than others. So you need to always keep a kind of diet.

Overwhelmingly weight yourself only helps if the scale is in the third floor and you need to walk up every time. Else eating less is what helps, not weighting.

• Like 1

I'll go by objective statistics. The success stories tell us that weighing often is very helpful. It provides a WARNING SIGN that you're doing something wrong when your weight spikes. Most people with a history of obesity can easily gain 10 kilos in a very short time. If you weigh yourself a lot, you have a message to put on the brakes. Denial becomes more difficult. Obviously there are constant daily fluctuations in weight. A one kilo change would be that most of the time. A three kilo change is almost definitely a trend. People who have been successful in weight LOSS need to be VIGILANT of slippage for life and weighing yourself is part of that. People who have lost A LOT of weight are NOT THE SAME as people who have always been normal weight, and they never will be.

While obviously not the same thing, a comparison to alcoholics might be instructive. Former alcoholics need to be vigilant for life. Having a glass of wine is not the same thing for them that it is for people not afflicted that way.

Edited by Jingthing

I'll go by objective statistics. The success stories tell us that weighing often is very helpful. It provides a WARNING SIGN that you're doing something wrong when your weight spikes. Most people with a history of obesity can easily gain 10 kilos in a very short time. If you weigh yourself a lot, you have a message to put on the brakes. Denial becomes more difficult. Obviously there are constant daily fluctuations in weight. A one kilo change would be that most of the time. A three kilo change is almost definitely a trend. People who have been successful in weight LOSS need to be VIGILANT of slippage for life and weighing yourself is part of that. People who have lost A LOT of weight are NOT THE SAME as people who have always been normal weight, and they never will be.

While obviously not the same thing, a comparison to alcoholics might be instructive. Former alcoholics need to be vigilant for life. Having a glass of wine is not the same thing for them that it is for people not afflicted that way.

I weigh myself every morning , it is a habit I have got into .As far as the weight lose goes i know I have to be vigilant the rest of my life as my life has changed so much in the last 6 years. This something I have thought about and have accepted it .I do not miss any of the foods I had in the past . Do I have craving for them ? hell yes , do I act on the cravings hell no.. I have a new eating regime which I enjoy very much . I know this isnt a fad and I know it is for the rest of my life .

kevvy

Edited by kevvy

You don't gain easily 10 kg in a short time. 10 kg are excess food of 70.000 calories if your body perfectly put it on fat without waste...so rather more in real life. Real life would be more like 100.000 calories.

But let it be 70.000 and let the very short time be 2 month=60 days.

Than you eat more than 1000 calorie per day, every day too much. Coming from a diet you should hold a 2000-2500 calorie per day....= almost a 50 % more than you should.

That is giving up.....these people know it, but don't want to face it and therefor don't step on the scale. These people who step on the scale are keeping focused on their target.

So checking your weight doesn't keep you slim...It does nothing....It is only a sign that someone tries to hold the weight.

After some time you know more or less how much you can eat and how you feel when you gain or when you loose weight....

The point is if you diet a lot weight away.....the diet will never end, you'll have to continue it forever, just have it a bit relaxed.....other call it change of lifestyle but I think keep on the diet doesn't hide the fact behind nice words.

I weigh myself every morning , it is a habit I have got into .As far as the weight lose goes i know I have to be vigilant the rest of my life as my life has changed so much in the last 6 years. This something I have thought about and have accepted it .I do not miss any of the foods I had in the past . Do I have craving for them ? hell yes , do I act on the cravings hell no.. I have a new eating regime which I enjoy very much . I know this isnt a fad and I know it is for the rest of my life .

kevvy

What helps me a bit is to have food that I would never eat. For example cake. If you can manipulate yourself that much that you really believe that it isn't food for you, you slowly start to not seeing it as food, and have less and less cravings.

It sounds better than it is, specially when hungry, but partially it works.

I never liked sweet too much, that is an advantage but now I can, even when I am hungry, look at the beautiful cakes in the supermarket, admire the artwork but don't get any idea that I could eat it.

Smell is another story, sitting in older areas of the brain.....

There is a worldwide Overeaters Anonymous support network that follows the twelve step program of AA. They replace alcoholic with overeater and alcohol with binge foods/danger foods etc. The long time members are super thin (too much for my liking) but they say it's normal weight, they are seriously entrenched in their eating plans to the point of fanaticism. Some go to three meeting a week and have done for thirty or forty years.

I'm thinking that's the type of regime I will have to maintain for life. I can't wait until I can look at a chocolate cake the same way I can look at a celery stick (with little interest) I have a sweet tooth, just love chocolate and desserts.

Incidentally, they recommend not weighing because the emphasis is on food, not weight, that comes off naturally if the program is followed. It's a new way of living life for your whole life and we need to replace the food with a new way of thinking.

I suppose after time, giving up danger foods, bingeing or overeating is like giving up ciggies. I could easily take up smoking again, but I never will and I never think about it.

I think anyone can join a chat session and get support.

http://www.oa.org/

• Like 1

I think I'd rather jump off a cliff than join a dreary 12 step group like that! I'm not at all convinced they have actually a high success rate. If they've got a small group of oddballs who are now too thin, that's just weird, and that tells you nothing about their ACTUAL statistical results for everyone who has joined.

Most people think Weight Watchers groups are an effective method, but in fact they have a VERY LOW success rate long term.

BTW, I am not on a diet and reject the idea of diets entirely as anything helpful for fighting obesity and overweight. Sure what we eat is technically our "diet" but the concept of "going on a diet" is proven to be the wrong path both physically and psychologically.

I can see people can see this as a semantic thing, but I think it is bigger than that. Sure, of course, to reduce and maintain weight you need to reduce your calorie intake in a conscious manner, but again that is not the same thing as going on a diet. Going on a diet implies food changes of a temporary manner. If you want to change your life, you need to look deeper than a short term pain approach.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I think I'd rather jump off a cliff than join a dreary 12 step group like that! I'm not at all convinced they have actually a high success rate. If they've got a small group of oddballs who are now too thin, that's just weird, and that tells you nothing about their ACTUAL statistical results for everyone who has joined.

Most people think Weight Watchers groups are an effective method, but in fact they have a VERY LOW success rate long term.

BTW, I am not on a diet and reject the idea of diets entirely as anything helpful for fighting obesity and overweight. Sure what we eat is technically our "diet" but the concept of "going on a diet" is proven to be the wrong path both physically and psychologically.

I can see people can see this as a semantic thing, but I think it is bigger than that. Sure, of course, to reduce and maintain weight you need to reduce your calorie intake in a conscious manner, but again that is not the same thing as going on a diet. Going on a diet implies food changes of a temporary manner. If you want to change your life, you need to look deeper than a short term pain approach.

Would you reject the idea of an anti cancer diet?

ie If you had cancer could you follow those strict diet protocols that could improve your survival prospects or even cure your cancer especially where there were no other alternatives.

I don't think you get my point. Going on diets doesn't cure obesity. It is known now that going on diets generally makes obesity WORSE.

Let's not get caught in a game of semantics when I said diet what I meant was a lifestyle change where you change your eating habits completely to exclude all types of processed foods, sugar etc.

Along with doing that you would probably have to look at your emotional health and how to rebalance that so that you could continue with a more healthy lifestyle ie mind body and soul

• Like 1

I don't think you get my point. Going on diets doesn't cure obesity. It is known now that going on diets generally makes obesity WORSE.

you can call it how you want...diet...lifestyle change, the point is eating less than you use calories is curing obesity just fine.

Actually it's not that simple. Your body thinks it's starving and adjusts to the calories you're eating. I refuse to say dieting OR lifestyle change. The best way I have to describe it is going deeper. Even when trying to reduce the focus being healthy choices and sustainability.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'll add a little to this.

For a long term obese person to lose weight and especially to maintain that loss is REALLY HARD and statistically unlikely no matter the will power and effort.

The longer term the obesity, the larger level of obesity, the worse.

The body has adjusted to the big size as NORMAL.

It doesn't care about how bad you look in a bathing suit.

It cares about SURVIVAL and survival to the body is getting fed, it's not "thinking" about heart attacks, etc.

We're in an evolutionary difficult time with all the easy food available. all the time, to most of us.

People have been conditioned to think that diets work but they do not work.

We've seen so many people, including ourselves lose some weight going "on diets" so we think they work.

But when the vast majority of people gain back the weight and often more, ending up in worse HEALTH than when they started, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that going on diets is entirely the wrong approach, indeed an almost surefire recipe for failure.

So you eat less, lose some weight, your body fights back, you think now you can eat EVEN LESS, and then your body fights back EVEN MORE, storing fat when eating almost nothing. Very few people can succeed that way. You can't feel like you're starving for the rest of your life. It will BACKFIRE. Generally, your body won't even LET you do that (unless you are locked up with no access to food or REALLY starving).

So to give yourself a fighting chance, consider working towards a SWEET SPOT. A place where you don't ever get TOO HUNGRY, a place where you have a chance of getting the message to your body that you really are NOT starving and that instead of putting on fat when eating almost nothing, it can burn at least SOME fat.

Anyone who thinks this is easy and simple, long term, to maintain long term, is fooling themselves.

You are fighting our current place in evolution. You aren't SUPERMAN, at least most of us aren't. Very few people make it the top of Mt. Everest or win marathon races.

But many more people can significantly IMPROVE THEIR HEALTH and at least become HEALTHIER MEN.

Actually starving yourself is not going to do that in the long term, it will do the OPPOSITE.

How to find your personal SWEET SPOT that gives you a fighting chance? I wish I had that answer. I think this quest is not the same for everyone. It's certainly not about buying the latest fad diet book and following it, that's more like the STINK SPOT. My opinion is you've got to do the work, go deep inside because your issues about food are your issues, and DISCOVER this for yourself. Personally, I feel I'm closer to this now than at any other time in my life but doing exactly what I've done probably wouldn't work for anyone else.

BTW, on this very forum, there are very many technical tips and tricks. Some of you may work for you, some of them may not work for you. There is no one size fits all on this. There is also not one definition of success. Someone who loses 10 percent body weight and keeps it off for life even if still obese has ALSO succeeded even if the world doesn't see that, he STILL has beat the odds, because he has become HEALTHIER.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing: yes the body adjust and conserve energy....but with limits.....

You must accept that forever you can't eat yourself full and forever you'll be a bit hungry half the time.

And everyone can run a marathon, if he really want...some are slower, some are faster but everyone can train themself to run a marathon.....Everyone healthy has a complete tool set to survive programmed into the DNA over millions of years.

After a while the body get used to the lower weight.

One trick after a massive reduction of weight is to have a strong exercise program.

Running seems to work....Don't know why....

Bodybuilding seems to work.....Maybe building muscle let the body believe that it builds up weigh, or maybe it is just that people who are bodybuilding are very controlled in what they eat.

Or maybe people just get fanatics with the sport they initially started to help reducing weight?

It also helps, that after a diet your stomach seems to be smaller and you feel full with less food. As well with healthy food it is much more difficult to get fat fast....With mixed salad with some eggs and chicken meat and full wheat bread you simply can't eat enough to get really fat, even if you eat without limits and control....

kevvy

What helps me a bit is to have food that I would never eat. For example cake. If you can manipulate yourself that much that you really believe that it isn't food for you, you slowly start to not seeing it as food, and have less and less cravings.

I never liked sweet too much, that is an advantage but now I can, even when I am hungry, look at the beautiful cakes in the supermarket, admire the artwork but don't get any idea that I could eat it.

I too was never a big sweet eater , I hardly ever ate a cake or doughnuts or any pastries. I look at food now and ask myself do I need to eat this food. I weight myself everyday and find now that the weight does not want to come off.I eat roughly the same amount eat day , starting with s\team veggies at mid morning , no lunch and have veggies with protein and some oyster or soy sauce. Nothing else after dinner except for a tea. I want to weight my self each morning "just to check" .When I see I haven't put any on I am happy.I think now I will lose about 1 kg a month , maybe a little more .But I am still losing . I went to the market last night and the smells were amazing, My senses went into overdrive but I said No and I felt good .I think alot of it is only out of boredom and habit .

kevvy

kevvy

I too was never a big sweet eater , I hardly ever ate a cake or doughnuts or any pastries. I look at food now and ask myself do I need to eat this food. I weight myself everyday and find now that the weight does not want to come off.I eat roughly the same amount eat day , starting with s\team veggies at mid morning , no lunch and have veggies with protein and some oyster or soy sauce. Nothing else after dinner except for a tea. I want to weight my self each morning "just to check" .When I see I haven't put any on I am happy.I think now I will lose about 1 kg a month , maybe a little more .But I am still losing . I went to the market last night and the smells were amazing, My senses went into overdrive but I said No and I felt good .I think alot of it is only out of boredom and habit .

kevvy

When I was on the almost no carb diet, carrots tasted sweet to me. And a normal apple tasted just too sweet to taste good...like a cake where they have overdone it with sugar.

My wife buys these small "hot dogs" and every time I sniff on them, before I give them to the dog (he loves them and he looses weight very fast because he has cancer....Normally I wouldn't feed a dog like this but for the last few weeks of his life I want to be nice to him).

I sniff on them just to proof myself that it has no effect crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I think it is improving......

• Like 1

It is amazing how close you can get to your dog.I had my best friend (a boxer) died on me with cancer 40 years ago and still miss him . I now have a new best friend , she is my wife .

kevvy

thanks!!! Great dog....but must be extreme old now.....it is the way things are happening....life get born and life ends....but sad to watch it.

He is actually happy and without pain, but he looks terrible.....

• Like 1

Hey guys how's the weight loss going? I lost 0.6 kg this week and I'm happy with that. I won the monthly award at my weight loss club, that felt good after the hard work. I do consider it to be hard, denying myself the foods I love, but then again it is best for me in the long run so I am finding it a bit easier to accept that I can't eat like other people. I've also joined another challenge on my online fat club.....don't go over 1200 calories a day for 60 days, actually I've been sticking to a bit under the 1200 since I started on this new food regime. See....I need all the help I can get because I'm pretty weak willed when it comes to food.

Two cups of home made chicken and all sorts of vege soup for lunch....about 200 calories.

Hey guys how's the weight loss going? I lost 0.6 kg this week and I'm happy with that. I won the monthly award at my weight loss club, that felt good after the hard work. I do consider it to be hard, denying myself the foods I love, but then again it is best for me in the long run so I am finding it a bit easier to accept that I can't eat like other people. I've also joined another challenge on my online fat club.....don't go over 1200 calories a day for 60 days, actually I've been sticking to a bit under the 1200 since I started on this new food regime. See....I need all the help I can get because I'm pretty weak willed when it comes to food.

Two cups of home made chicken and all sorts of vege soup for lunch....about 200 calories.

Good for you peppa, so happy for you as I know how hard it must be .It is not hard for me to stop the eating , but very hard to get my thinking around it. My weight is like a yo yo at the moment One day I weigh myself and I have put on 1 kg and sometimes 2 .. Then at the end of the week i lost 1. For 2 weeks now my weight has gone up , but today I am at the weight I was 2 weeks ago minus 600 grms. I have not eaten anything extra or any fattening stuff. Just veggies each day with a small amount of protein .I really some days think "what the hell is going on " I keep going . I only wish this body could do exercise .Keep me informed how you are going mate ,I like hearing this as it keeps me going too. I wont widh you good luck as I know you can do this .One note: I get so happy now getting into my smaller clothes ... good feeling .

kevvy

One thing is, and it is easy to say, but more difficult to do:

Not denying yourself food you like. Instead don't like the food anymore that makes you fat. Partially it comes automatic, partially you can manipulate yourself into it.

If you eat low carbs and low fat for 2 month and than you eat a big fat piece of chocolate cake, it doesn't taste good. It is just over the top everything. And and you don't feel good after eating it.

If you can manipulate yourself to not like the food it makes things way easier.

kevvy: easiest is put the weight in excel and let it draw a trend. Easier to see how the actual numbers dance around the trend line, and if it is normal jump or not.

Also keep in mind you need some protein and some essential fat acids to actually loose weight.

h90

how is your dog?

I eat protein everyday , but not as much as I use to. I actually went to a restaurant today i ordered a small piece of duck and some steam vegies. That was a big test for me and I won. My wife ,,,she had the usual , you know what I mean. Then she brought some pork crackling in a packet , and I gave in and tried some .then I was angry so I chew them for the crunch and flavour then spat it out .. I was happy the way my mind is not controlling me now .

h90

how is your dog?

I eat protein everyday , but not as much as I use to. I actually went to a restaurant today i ordered a small piece of duck and some steam vegies. That was a big test for me and I won. My wife ,,,she had the usual , you know what I mean. Then she brought some pork crackling in a packet , and I gave in and tried some .then I was angry so I chew them for the crunch and flavour then spat it out .. I was happy the way my mind is not controlling me now .

Dog: the same, neither better nor worse.....

Isn't duck very fat? (I don't know as I had once very bad experience with a very bad duck and now I really don't like it anymore).

I started to love green tea......should be good for diet, but I actually love it now. Wife loves it ice cold....

h90

how is your dog?

Isn't duck very fat? (I don't know as I had once very bad experience with a very bad duck and now I really don't like it anymore).

I started to love green tea......should be good for diet, but I actually love it now. Wife loves it ice cold....

I was looking the other day about iced tea.I use to drink the ones in 7/11 but were full of sugar. My am tired of my body , one day I put on 1.5 kgs and then 2 days later lose 1.6 then next day up 1.2 then next day down to 1.4 but cannot get past the weight I was 7 days ago .Nothing has changed still eat excatly the same , expecy for that small bit of duck. Heaps of veggies and each night a small piece of salmon , chicken breast , Aussie beef or aussie lamd .but small potions of protein , no bigger tan 150/200 grams .Lunch either salad or veggies. I love my veggies ...

kevvy

h90

how is your dog?

I was looking the other day about iced tea.I use to drink the ones in 7/11 but were full of sugar. My am tired of my body , one day I put on 1.5 kgs and then 2 days later lose 1.6 then next day up 1.2 then next day down to 1.4 but cannot get past the weight I was 7 days ago .Nothing has changed still eat excatly the same , expecy for that small bit of duck. Heaps of veggies and each night a small piece of salmon , chicken breast , Aussie beef or aussie lamd .but small potions of protein , no bigger tan 150/200 grams .Lunch either salad or veggies. I love my veggies ...

kevvy

iced tea: buy the tea and make it yourself...I drink that every day....Easy to do. But it is something complete different than in the supermarket. Now I love it, on the beginning I didn't.

Recheck everything you eat...Some fish (don't know for Salmon) can be very fat. Lamb maybe also. And reduce there. But if you still loose 0.5-0.7 kg per week I wouldn't change much.

Also check on the veggies, potatoes or carrots are rich on carbohydrates (don't know for tomatoes).

It is sometimes surprising how efficient the body can get...and don't overvalue some short time results....there are peaks up and down. If you compare your weight with a too low exceptional measurement you only drive yourself crazy......

I had a couple of days I only eat 4-5 eggs and some cucumber tomato salad and had no results.....It is sometimes weird.

There is also the risk that if you eat too little, because the scale isn't moving that you get too hungry and eat something complete wrong.....

• Like 1

h90

how is your dog?

kevvy

iced tea: buy the tea and make it yourself...I drink that every day....Easy to do. But it is something complete different than in the supermarket. Now I love it, on the beginning I didn't.

Recheck everything you eat...Some fish (don't know for Salmon) can be very fat. Lamb maybe also. And reduce there. But if you still loose 0.5-0.7 kg per week I wouldn't change much.

Also check on the veggies, potatoes or carrots are rich on carbohydrates (don't know for tomatoes).

It is sometimes surprising how efficient the body can get...and don't overvalue some short time results....there are peaks up and down. If you compare your weight with a too low exceptional measurement you only drive yourself crazy......

I had a couple of days I only eat 4-5 eggs and some cucumber tomato salad and had no results.....It is sometimes weird.

There is also the risk that if you eat too little, because the scale isn't moving that you get too hungry and eat something complete wrong.....

Thanks for that mate

I dont eat potatoes at all. and only lamb straps and only once every 2 weeks , and a small amount .I mainly eat broccoli , cauliflower , cabbage , asparagus, red and green capsicums , snow peas and sugar peas. Thena sauce made from water oyster sauce and ginger and garlic. The veg are steamed . I take the left over veg for lunch next day . Dont drink any coke just water and hot tea. I am still happy as nearly 14 kgs now, after 9 weeks. I am wrapped about my clothes , too big for me ....yeah...

Thanks for the support

kevvy

• Like 1

kevvy

Thanks for that mate

I dont eat potatoes at all. and only lamb straps and only once every 2 weeks , and a small amount .I mainly eat broccoli , cauliflower , cabbage , asparagus, red and green capsicums , snow peas and sugar peas. Thena sauce made from water oyster sauce and ginger and garlic. The veg are steamed . I take the left over veg for lunch next day . Dont drink any coke just water and hot tea. I am still happy as nearly 14 kgs now, after 9 weeks. I am wrapped about my clothes , too big for me ....yeah...

Thanks for the support

kevvy

"wrapped about my clothes" rofl....yes I as well look in my jeans like a child taking papas clothes, rofl....

• Like 1