sandblasting hardwood terrace chairs where ?

yermanee

Hi Guys,

I live on the darkside and am in need of a place where I can have my 4 terrace chairs sandblasted.

During my last trip to Europe my wife had them painted in a horrible chocolate brown color. I want them cleaned up till the wood grain, so I can stain them in the color I want and finish with clear lacquer.

Tried sanding down but after 1 and a half day I still haven't finished one chair to the result I want because of all the nooks and crannies. (and I don't like sanding - painting no problem)

- H E L P -

Thanks beforehand for any useful tip wai.gifwai2.gifwai.gif

Yermanee wai.gif

It is my understanding that delicate items are blasted with baking soda, I might be wrong though and hoping to find someone who has the equipment is probably to much to ask for.

The dipping is done in what solution ? And where did you have it done ?

Thanks

Yermanee wai.gif

I don't know what was in the vat but it was a paint stripper. This was a place that repaired and restored antique furniture, or any wood furniture. It didn't cost a lot to have them dipped.

Baking soda is still for metal. I wouldn't blast wood. I have my own blasting cabinet and I've tried glass beads and baking soda and fine sand, etc., but it's only good for metal. I would use baking soda on soft metal like brass or aluminum.

If nothing else I would buy a good paint stripper and do it myself.

Edit. Sorry, I missed this - it was in the USA.

Edited by NeverSure

Call Bubi at Thai Hot Rod (he is out on the 36) 0813403184, he will sandblast furniture.

Hi Spoonman,

Have called Bubi, and he quotes between 1.500 and 2.000 Baht per chair. My wife nearly fainted.

Thanks anyway, and for others that might be interested a good tip.

Yermanee wai.gif

Call Bubi at Thai Hot Rod (he is out on the 36) 0813403184, he will sandblast furniture.

Hi Spoonman,

Have called Bubi, and he quotes between 1.500 and 2.000 Baht per chair. My wife nearly fainted.

Yermanee wai.gif

you are already 1.5 days into sanding a single chair and it is still not done to a suitable level and by your own admission you cannot get into the nooks and crannies.

Spend the coin on getting it blasted or be happy with the <deleted> result from sanding.

Up to you.

Hi Spoonman,

Yermanee wai.gif

you are already 1.5 days into sanding a single chair and it is still not done to a suitable level and by your own admission you cannot get into the nooks and crannies.

Spend the coin on getting it blasted or be happy with the <deleted> result from sanding.

Up to you.

Wow did I hit a nerve ?

I did thank you and I did say the nooks and crannies slowed the sanding process but I didn't say I couldn't get into them.

Anyway I've just finished the second chair and I can tell you it's not a shit result as a matter of fact they look gorgeous.

Yermanee wai.gif

Is there anyone around who can dip them in a vat? Sandblasting is really rough on the wood.

I had a set dipped and they came out really clean but a little dark. So I used oxalic acid to lighten them. Oxalic acid is often sold in home improvement stores as wooden deck cleaner. It won't strip paint but it will make wood look new. It usually comes as a powder that you mix in hot water.

Can someone please help: where can I buy Oxalic Acid in Pattaya for sure.

Dude just use petrol, give them chairs a good wipe down. The paint will come off in the morning.

Remember when you spill petrol on your motorbike tank last night? Same thing

Best regards

keyboard warrior

Edited by holeyman1

Hi Spoonman,

Yermanee wai.gif

Up to you.

Wow did I hit a nerve ?

I did thank you and I did say the nooks and crannies slowed the sanding process but I didn't say I couldn't get into them.

Anyway I've just finished the second chair and I can tell you it's not a shit result as a matter of fact they look gorgeous.

Yermanee wai.gif

wow you can work quick.

1.5 days to partially finish one chair and then go asking for sandblasters yet a day later you have 2 completely done.

awesome stuff.

• 10 months later...

A one year old thread just resurfaced with a post from a potential forum sponsor.

The emphasis is on potential because unless you actually *are* a forum sponsor, we keep your post invisible and this thread will be closed.

Please contact our sales department

B)