Good expat bar ?

bundoi

I'll be in Chiang Mai for a couple of weeks soon, and I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since my last sojourn in that delightful city. Rather than tramp the streets or the internet reviews, can anyone recommend a good expat bar or two - especially anything that might have opened in the last couple of years...along the lines of...

Expats not tourists

Professionals not backpackers and co

Maybe some intellectual or arty activities

Not raucous

Over 40

thanks in advance

Number 1 Bar - Loh Kroh

Be interesting to see what else comes in for this, I'm still fairly new here and good expat bars seem very thin on the ground (I used to own a large sports bar in Bangkok, nothing even remotely comparable to that here. Yet..).

Never has been. Only wannabes. wink.png Not saying that there aren't a few good watering holes but nothing that rates as a true sport bar.

Take a look at the Downunder bar located on Loi Kroh between the night bazaar and the steel bridge about half way. Never been in it but walk by it several times and the customers sitting by the window or smoking out side seem like a friendly lot. Many say hello as you walk by. Mostly Rugby and Football.

• Like 1

Take a look at the Downunder bar located on Loi Kroh between the night bazaar and the steel bridge about half way. Never been in it but walk by it several times and the customers sitting by the window or smoking out side seem like a friendly lot. Many say hello as you walk by. Mostly Rugby and Football.

I've watched cricket there and confirm they are a friendly lot (even though they were all Aussie and I was supporting England) and the staff are cool too - Also their pool table was the best I played on in CM in my 2 months there.

I do like the UN bar as well, it was my first choice when watching sport - If they had a pool table I would have been there a lot more often.

Edited by NexusWR

Use the Red Lion myself, Loy Khro just past burger king going towards the river. Yes it is very popular with tourists but there are a number of ex pats who go there. Rather shocked at the price hike for chang at O'Malley's in the Anusarn last night up to 75thb a small bottle, Last year I am sure it was 60thb.

• Like 1

Would also agree with Red Lion.

Never had a bad pint (thanks Rose) and almost always end up chatting with someone..tourist,expat,excape committee member...refugee

Gave up on O-Ms about 2 years ago just didn't feel right and not fussy about UN either.

No 1 off LK not bad/friendly and the new Base Line Pub seems quite interesting with good set up.but beer never really cold enough.

CM Saloon also good for meeting and talking although a wee bit " backpackery" but always nice crowd.

Gekko worth a mention as is the "Pub" although must admit never actually made it over to that part of town...une jour...

• Like 1

I'll vouch for the Downunder sports bar too. Stu is the owner, genuine nice guy and the place rocks when live Rugby League or Rugby Union is on. Havent been there for a while tho, mainly cause I live out in Mai Rim now. But I had many a good time there...get a few tourists there but not a great deal. Mainly visiting Kiwi's and Okers who want to catch a game.

And yes he has a very good pool table.

I'll vouch for the Downunder sports bar too. Stu is the owner, genuine nice guy and the place rocks when live Rugby League or Rugby Union is on. Havent been there for a while tho, mainly cause I live out in Mai Rim now. But I had many a good time there...get a few tourists there but not a great deal. Mainly visiting Kiwi's and Okers who want to catch a game.

And yes he has a very good pool table.

Downunder is my home away from home

1.Johns place on Moon Muang near the Top North Hotel,

2.Boy Blues Bar, at Kalara Market next to the Night Bazzar, An excelent place monday nights from 9pm for music jamming.

3. The Pub, Huay Kaew Road.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Interesting that only one person, a woman, actually answered the OP's request ....nearly all the other places mentioned are not the kinds of places you would go for a quiet drink and hope to have an intelligent conversation. The Downunder place looks positively spooky at night from the outside. Like something from a "noir" movie. Chiang Mai Confidential.

You could try the new place, just around the corner from Downunder. It's called Compass. (Used to be West, near Hillside 4). Not a bar as such, but West used to have a good menu.

Depending on your definition of intellectual but the Chiang Mai Bridge Club (and chess) are normally around 3 or 4 times a week at The Pub on Huay Kaew. Usual TV and booze.

Ex Pat and definitely over 40.

No doubt someone will be along to tell you how bad the traffic is from the city but should only be 20B in a songtaew.

1.Johns place on Moon Muang near the Top North Hotel,

A few months ago I walked past John's Place and, I kid you not, there sitting on a bar stool was an old geezer with a small tablet device posting on to ThaiVisa.