House too far from TOT box, what solution to connect Internet ?

thailandbeachisland

Hello,

When a house is too far from any TOT box to connect the phone line and Internet, is there any solution ?

For example pay the cable and TOT to connect this house ?

Link another place where TOT will go and then connect the house to this place ?

I would like to know what are your solutions to get a phone line or Internet DSL when the area is not supported by TOT ?

Thank you.

ps: I guess that satellites connections are still bad and aircard is not an option as there is no 100% unlimited 3G available.

• Like 1

Don't know where you are!....but I have TOT available and refuse to use them because of double

billing and other problems with them.

You "guess" satellite is not available....check it out first before guessing

I use DTAC for my phone and internet....no problem BUT I don't do a lot of downloading (which

might be a problem)

Last resort is to contact TOT and see if they will extend their line to your house....Never know

unless you ask.

Good luck

I stayed in a hotel in the middle of nowhere once and it's internet connection was via some tall antenna they had opposite one of the buildings.

It wasn't satellite, more like some kind of radio link. It worked ok though. The hotel was the 'Tai Pan in Hua Hin' in case you want to call them up or drop by and ask them about it. This was nearly two years ago.

Good cheap Internet access is an important factor to research before paying the deposit.

Are you sure the other wired broadband providers don't have a router within reach?

Wireless high-speed is expensive!

I stayed in a hotel in the middle of nowhere once and it's internet connection was via some tall antenna they had opposite one of the buildings.

It wasn't satellite, more like some kind of radio link. It worked ok though. The hotel was the 'Tai Pan in Hua Hin' in case you want to call them up or drop by and ask them about it. This was nearly two years ago.

TOT... "wi-net" he needs to call them to ask if its available in his area, many popping up now its like giant wifi internet 590 baht a month 6mb speed.

• Like 1

Yup, Wi-Net or one of the similar offerings from AiS and (I think) True is the way to go.

We have it as there are no available land lines in the village, works well although latency is a bit high and video streaming can be erratic (a problem solved by using UK-TV Asia).

Try a forum search, there are several threads on the subject.

I had exactly this same problem. 3BB told me the house was too far away from their closest box. I then had a look at the phsical box & saw TOT also had one, just a bit closer to the house, but still several hundred metres away. Headed in to the local TOT office who were wonderful. They advised they could extend the line & even offered me a land line as well, with a range of phone numbers to choose from & told me the fee would be B3,000 odd to run the line, which I was happy to pay.

Then when actual payment time came, I didn't actually have to pay the B3,000 odd fee, but had to sign a document advising that if I cancelled the service within 12 months, then I would need to reimburse this to TOT!

A week later, there's a TOT pickup in my soi with a couple of guys with long bamboo poles, stringing up the line & the next day it was all connected up & working. Has since proved to be quite reliable too. And all at their B699 per month plan. Can't complain at all.

So my advice would be to go in to see TOT and inquire about the cost of running the line out to where you are.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I have a fiber from TOT, works OK most of the time, you have to pay them to install the fiber from their box to your house. My house was about 300 meters, so not too bad as I remember not over 15K Baht. Once you have the fiber installed there are many options for services to choose.

Another option is TOT WiNet, it's a directional WiFi system that performs OK, but you need a TOT mast in view, worked for me in our previous house.

Satellite options are expensive and have a too high latency (delay) to be used for IP phone, Skype, etc.

3G can be an option, but not if you are a big data user or if you need high speeds, also not available everywhere.

W-Net is a good solution. We have had the system in place for about 18 months. I opted for the 'Cadillac' installation because I did not want anything attached to the house. Basically they place a telephone pole on your land and then attach a metal pole (with the receiver) to the top of that. Very tall, but very robust and an unobstructed view of the transmission tower. Various packages are available, ours is 10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up (10/1). Guaranteed by TOT to perform at 80% of maximum speed. In reality, it often exceeds it's rated capacity and has never once tested below the guarantee. Works very well for streaming and I installed an AC Wi-Fi beam-forming router to their modem and my daughter can get our signal (albeit weak) several hundred meters away at her friend's house. Coverage in our four bedroom two-story house is outstanding. All for about 35 USD/month. Unlimited and no throttle. I think it a bargain compared to what we pay in the States. The W-Net receiver bricked itself once and TOT came out two days later and replaced it... no charge.

F1

• Like 1

Pay to have a node installed locally so you can connect to it. I done it 4 1/2 years ago for 5000 Baht with 3bb.

I might suggest he looked at other suppliers too before committing to TOT.

Where I am their service has not been very good.

This is what I was going to suggest. TOT has something called Wi-Net I think and it uses an antenna to beam a two-way internet signal to an antenna at your house. In our area they told my GF it was maxed out so no more people could be added. You'd think they would get more capacity, but hey TIT.

TOT has had this for a few years.

W-Net is a good solution. We have had the system in place for about 18 months. I opted for the 'Cadillac' installation because I did not want anything attached to the house. Basically they place a telephone pole on your land and then attach a metal pole (with the receiver) to the top of that. Very tall, but very robust and an unobstructed view of the transmission tower. Various packages are available, ours is 10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up (10/1). Guaranteed by TOT to perform at 80% of maximum speed. In reality, it often exceeds it's rated capacity and has never once tested below the guarantee. Works very well for streaming and I installed an AC Wi-Fi beam-forming router to their modem and my daughter can get our signal (albeit weak) several hundred meters away at her friend's house. Coverage in our four bedroom two-story house is outstanding. All for about 35 USD/month. Unlimited and no throttle. I think it a bargain compared to what we pay in the States. The W-Net receiver bricked itself once and TOT came out two days later and replaced it... no charge.

F1

Yep! Thats the way to go. I am over 1.5KM from the nearest land line so I had a TOT post put up. This has a 5GHz microwave link to somewhere and gives me 10M down and 1M up Cost of post 20,000 Baht. cost of internet 738 Baht/month inc tax. Others do this also but TOT is the only one in range of my house. I've had it in use for about four months now and no problems (yet).

I have CAT in Phichit 10 km from city, they put a big pole on my land about 15 m high and most of the time I have good internet, download movies a lot.

cost pole about 4000 baht, can get 5 meter up ( I hear later) for more speed for 200 baht, per month 699 baht, can get more speed for more per month.

Thank you for all your replies.

I should get mad at all these people, 3BB and TOT didn't talk to me about these options.

Can't stand these people lack of forward thinking !!! You as DSL, they say not possible and then they cannot think that maybe you could be interested in another possibility...

If you have websites about the different offers please publish the links, as they can be useful for others laso :-)

Thank you again to all.

• Like 1

I had exactly this same problem. 3BB told me the house was too far away from their closest box. I then had a look at the phsical box & saw TOT also had one, just a bit closer to the house, but still several hundred metres away. Headed in to the local TOT office who were wonderful. They advised they could extend the line & even offered me a land line as well, with a range of phone numbers to choose from & told me the fee would be B3,000 odd to run the line, which I was happy to pay.

Then when actual payment time came, I didn't actually have to pay the B3,000 odd fee, but had to sign a document advising that if I cancelled the service within 12 months, then I would need to reimburse this to TOT!

A week later, there's a TOT pickup in my soi with a couple of guys with long bamboo poles, stringing up the line & the next day it was all connected up & working. Has since proved to be quite reliable too. And all at their B699 per month plan. Can't complain at all.

So my advice would be to go in to see TOT and inquire about the cost of running the line out to where you are.

Good luck!

Hello, i have the same problem, my house is at 200 meters from the TOT network. Could you tell how to call this telephone pole in english or in thai ? I will ask to TOT but i want to be sure they will understand me smile.png

I am also very far from any land line availability.

I use TrueMove H 3G+ aircard.

It is fairly reliable and provides WiFi connection for up to 5 devices.

Can be pretty slow at times but always in a "liveable" range.

I am also very far from any land line availability.

I use TrueMove H 3G+ aircard.

It is fairly reliable and provides WiFi connection for up to 5 devices.

Can be pretty slow at times but always in a "liveable" range.

Yes. I started off with that too. It became so slow I gave up.

I switched to a Pattaya Company called "True". They gave me what they call an "Air Card" which is quite small and you plug this into your USB Port. From that moment on you have instant Wireless from them.

I switched to them about 2 years ago, and I have to tell you Son that I am so pleased with this I wouldn't go back to a Thai Lan System even if I had to trip over those wires every day. I got the highest speed on-sale, and my wife got one step down from that. It work so well on mine that we decided that she should step up to mine to. But she couldn't as they told her they sold out their maximum on that one, as this was a year later.

That was over a year ago so things might have changed since then. But hers still works fine and better than any LAN System we ever had here. The Beauty of the Beast on this system is that once you are plugged in, you can use it anywhere in Thailand. Just came back from the In-laws in a village North of Udon Thani and it worked as good there as it does back home in Pattaya.

I can't count all the hotel rooms I stayed in this country these past couple of years where this system worked fine every time. No more fricking around getting the Hotel Password, which seems to change every hour, or geting them to help you hook up. Or in some cases paying the high extra fee they charge for Internet their. It just seems to work everywhere. They also told me that Bangkok International Airport has the strongest signal from them, but I never tried their.

Trust Me Son! This is well worth looking into. All you need is an USB Port on your PC or Lap Top. Their Telephone number is: 1331`

Oh Ya! Money to pay your monthly Bill helps to.