Time is running out for Thailand's embattled government

webfact

Time Is Running Out for Thailand's Embattled Government
By Bruce Einhorn

(Bloomberg) Will they or won’t they? Thais are waiting to hear whether elections scheduled for Feb. 2 will take place as planned. Embattled Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra wants them to take place; the country’s Election Commission wants a postponement because of widespread opposition from critics of Yingluck and her exiled brother, former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The country’s Constitutional Court ruled Jan. 24 that the election can be delayed and that both the prime minister and the Election Commission have the power and responsibility to set a new date “if holding the election as scheduled will create serious damage to the country,”

Regardless of whether the election takes place in February or later, chances are Yingluck’s days as prime minister are numbered. “The current political deadlock should eventually lead to the fall of this government,” Pimpaka Nichgaroon, head of research in Bangkok for Thanachart Securities, wrote in a report published Wednesday.

While the crisis may drag on for a few more weeks, Pimpaka expects a resolution by the end of March. “We assign the highest probability to military intervention followed by court cases in bringing down the government and a slim chance of the caretaker administration returning as a functional government in the next election.”

Full story: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-24/time-is-running-out-for-thailands-embattled-government

-- BloombergBusinessweek 2014-01-25

• Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the music sops the person holding the parcel will have to do a very un-Thai thing, make a decision. In this case there are two holding the parcel, YL and the EC.

The Constitutional Court tossed this hot issue back by saying the election could be postponed it did not say it has to be / must be / even should be.

YL will want it to go ahead and the EC does not so what next and who will prevail ? I honestly can't see the two sides reaching a reasonable accommodation, I'm sure the election will go ahead and prove nothing.

It just doesn't look good.

If anything the dems might get accused of sabotaging democracy.

What's in a name huh. The democrats who don't play democracy.

• Like 1

"Sorry" for a somewhat "jadded" outlook, but what will it really matter. Does anyone really expect Thailand to change much? I don't. This "way" corruption/me me me/lack of responsibility is ingrained in the current culture. Q. Can cultures change? A. Sure. But will this one? Hope so, but doubt it.

I'm afraid you are right and it's not helped by a national defeatist attitude.

A decade agoIi had a lovely, well educated GF from a rural area who would happily discuss issues with me that she would think twice about raising in front of her family.

Acknowledging faults here she would always say that's how it is and nothing will change it. If I questioned that she slipped into the mode that the elite want, people like her are ' little ' people who cannot change anything because they couldn't, wouldn't or wouldn't be allowed to. One of her favourite lines was " the government does not want the people to be educated ".

• Like 2

There will be an election in the next few months. Elements of PTP will win it, probably in coalition/unity with some of the more rational people from other parties. Then rebuilding will start and growth will return.

I hope you are right, especially about the rational part.

Time Is Running Out for Thailand's Embattled Government

WRONG, time is just working in favor of Thaksin. No matter the result, Thaksin will get his way somehow and Suthep and co. are running deeper and deeper into Thaksin's trap.

In the end Thaksin wins, Pheu Thai acts, Yingluck can finally travel to Hawaii,... and the show and corruption business as usual will go on... wanna bet???clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 2

What bugs me about Suthep's protest movement is that the rice scheme is clearly in difficulty, the fuel subsidies are running at impossible levels and sooner or later the populist policies look doomed to fail.

Rice farmers are angry with the government.

Even the weather has turned cold.

Why isn't the Democrat party prepared to wait it out until the next scheduled election date? Do they fear that even with so much going against PPP/TRT/PT they still can't win an election democratically?

Frankly if I were eligible to vote I still wouldn't bother with any of this lot. Perhaps that is why votes are so easy to buy.

• Like 1

When the music sops the person holding the parcel will have to do a very un-Thai thing, make a decision. In this case there are two holding the parcel, YL and the EC.

The Constitutional Court tossed this hot issue back by saying the election could be postponed it did not say it has to be / must be / even should be.

YL will want it to go ahead and the EC does not so what next and who will prevail ? I honestly can't see the two sides reaching a reasonable accommodation, I'm sure the election will go ahead and prove nothing.

It just doesn't look good.

If anything the dems might get accused of sabotaging democracy.

What's in a name huh. The democrats who don't play democracy.

Mai Khao Jai, not same countlee me.

I've always been suspicious of any party, country etc that uses words like democrat, democratic or peoples' etc. For example Lao PDR, Peoples Republic of China, North Korea and various countries in Africa and elsewhere. They couldn't be more opposite than the name implies.

Phua Thai

Thai rak Thai

Mmmmmmm.

I think not

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I doesn't matter in the long run. Whether it's Yingluck or someone else, whenever the next election takes place, they will be voted in. The people want their vote to be respected and not to be bullied.

If it wasn't Yingluck (or another Shin relative) the election would be taking place without problems.

• Like 2

There seems no way out for the people of Thailand. There may be a winner and/or a loser, but it won't be for the benefit of the Thai people. Whoever ends up in the PM post by either election or appointment will inherit a real mess.

• Like 2

I doesn't matter in the long run. Whether it's Yingluck or someone else, whenever the next election takes place, they will be voted in. The people want their vote to be respected and not to be bullied.

If it wasn't Yingluck (or another Shin relative) the election would be taking place without problems.

It won't. Samak Sundaravet was not relative but longterm thai politican. It will never stop Democrats and their angry mob allies.

• Like 1

Correct. However the people also want a govt that rules in a legitimate manner, that does not intimidate opponents and the judiciary, that is not more concerned about their own interests (and that of their DL) than those of the country, that does not use the law as a weapon with the DSI as its attack dog, that is not prepared to bankrupt a bank to maintain a criminally inept rice policy, that is not nepotistic, corrupt and incompetent.

People need to have their vote respected but they also need a govt that respects them. PT fails in all these areas, unless they change their ways they will remain unfit to govern.

That's a weak and false (on all points) justification. Your fooling no one here... well... maybe some TV members. Internationally and domestically, no one is buying it.

Why don't you just be honest and call it for what it is, a power grab ?

Such a powerful rebuttal "of all points" of the argument on your part.

Thanks biggrin.png

Correct. However the people also want a govt that rules in a legitimate manner, that does not intimidate opponents and the judiciary, that is not more concerned about their own interests (and that of their DL) than those of the country, that does not use the law as a weapon with the DSI as its attack dog, that is not prepared to bankrupt a bank to maintain a criminally inept rice policy, that is not nepotistic, corrupt and incompetent.

People need to have their vote respected but they also need a govt that respects them. PT fails in all these areas, unless they change their ways they will remain unfit to govern.

That's a weak and false (on all points) justification. Your fooling no one here... well... maybe some TV members. Internationally and domestically, no one is buying it.

Why don't you just be honest and call it for what it is, a power grab ?

Hey moonao, your wrong, every word bluespunk wrote is obvious and correct.

Why is it so difficult to see that a tree is a tree?

*sigh*... you really need to try harder. that was much too obvious.