Bringing elect to my property. About 100 meters from the road

My property is about 100 meters of the main road on a dirt road. I am the only one in the dirt road now. Was hoping some posters could give some advice and experience to have elect brought in the 100 meters.

It is in Chiang Khong area of Chiang Rai.

Approx cost legality of the line meaning who would own it?

Any info thanks

Firstly, are there LV lines on that main road?

Do you have your house book yet?

You need to go and see the guys at the local office of the PEA, provisional electricity authority.

Sort of have to figure out where you can connect, if you need a transformer etc, then looking at who will be paying for the line.

I just tried asking my wife and was struggling to understand how she got it done, we ended up with a low capacity temporary line.

• Like 1

A friend of mine recently had something that sounds very similar done.

He needed a transformer and I think about 300 meters of cable / poles etc etc, paid about 300K for it.

He asked a few of the people round about ( Thais ) if they'd be interested in sharing the cost and then line, of course none were interested but they are now trying to tap into if for free!!

This was in Chaiyapoom (sp).

Note - he was initially told 150k by PEA, every subsequent time he returned the price went up!

Once you find out if the line is already stepped down or not, Its up to you to bring to the house after they determine if the wiring in the house is safe. I paid a guy 70,000 bt to set 4 poles and the wire to my breaker box. It was approx 100 meters. The hard part is finding someone capable. Found this guy in Buriram. Good luck

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Me and mia went to the local PEA office armed with Tabien baan and for something like 10k Baht they put a temporary supply/meter on the last post in the village for us (they went to the wrong end of the village first time around). Now, our house is about 1Km from this last post so we set about running our own wires (black 10mmsq) amongst the trees and on bamboo poles all along the rural, dirt road to our house. There it was connected by what passes for a proper electrician.

It is classified as a temporary supply and so we don't have the benefit of the government subsidised price. Also being temporary there is no requirement for the PEA to inspect the installation prior to connection. That will happen if and when the government approves our request for a permanent supply. At that time we will, together with our 5 other required consumers, get a transformer, concrete posts and new wire all for free and the price per kwh will drop from 7 Baht to 3.5 Baht. The cost of the permanent installation will only be considered by the government if there are a minimum of 6 houses in need of power. As you can imagine, being on the end of an extension lead 1km long limits what will, and more importantly will not run.

It's been over a year since we applied and I've now gone solar anyway but we won't be withdrawing our application because that will spoil things for the 5 other required consumers.

I bought my own electric cement pole and got the electrician who wired the house to also run the lines out to the boundary at the front near the electrics of PEA.

Then we went to the PEA and after much messing about signed a contact which included a deposit for the meter.

The PEA inspected the site.

The PEA sent out an electrical crew who connected the power.

I had to keep them jolly with some small amounts of Baht.

The electric power is in my wife's (Thai) name.

Keep the contract copy u get because if you ever want to disconnect you need that copy contract to get your deposit back.

Once you determine all the above, you will need some idea as to the loading you will have.

From this you can calculate the minium size of the cable required to minimise voltage drop at maximum load.

This is done using the length of the run, the voltage nominal, the voltage drop of the particular cable size in milliamps per metre.

Suffice to say it is best to keep your loading to a minimum as a good installation will require a cable much larger than you think.

Standard is 5% maximum on 240V (12 Volts) from the point of supply to the last loading device in your installation.

Also, aluminium cable needs to be much larger than copper for a given loading.

It also creates a need to protect the cable against galvanic corrosion when combined with copper at any point.

Usual method in Aus at least is to use bimetal lugs or links. This however seems to go unattended in Thailand with the "twist and tape" methods there.

We had to put in 2 extra poles on the road outside the house as we were last on the line and they did not run to our property, we also had to give the neighbor some money has he had paid for the last poles, if the line is extended again we will get some cash back for pole we paid for on the roadside.

Anyway to the point at hand we put in 3 poles from the road to the house from memory we paid 5,000 each including installation they ran the cable to the last pole and our electrician wired from there to the house transformer not required, all arranged through the local PEA.

Went to PEA-next day they installed 2 cement poles at 600 Bht each and ran wire from main road

Then paid extra to have them connect from there to the house-like 100 Bht each and a bottle of thai whiskey and the cost of the wire-all told under 2000 B and done right.

we were 80 mtrs away from the last post, we paid B16,OOO to have two posts installed, We also asked for 15 amp supply , From post to house (50mtrs )we used 25 mm triple insulated underground cable ....not cheap ,but better than having a concrete post in fromt of ith house.

Got 60m done last month in Chanthaburi area...they moved the LV pole because it was in the new driveway and installed 2 more concrete poles with a 60amp switch on the last pole and from there connected to the house all this for the grand price of Bt14000. PEA relocated the pole in the driveway for Bt3000 and the rest of the job(Bt11000) was done by a private electrician who signed everything off.

Edited by deonvz

As most are indicating, your first port of call should be the local PEA office.

You need some idea what your load will be, an average home will be fine on a 15/45 single-phase meter so go in to bat with that and see what they say.

• Like 1

I neede a 100metres, the Electric Authourity told me to give them 60,000 baht, Quickly arrived, blasted some holes and click. No paper work till they figured out how much I was willing to part with. Something you might want to find out about is, If there is more than one, or it could be two, Houses the Local Government pays.

If the PEA determine that you need a transformer, (which you have to pay for), make siure that said transformer is installed on your land, not external to it - otherwise you may find (as others have mentioned), that every man and dog will be tapping into the shiny new electricity siupply that you paid for.

At a previous hotel that I built in Phuket, I needed a 500,000 baht transformer installed. I got it installed on the hotel land, because the neighbouring houses all refused to share the cost. Some time later, all those houses had to pay for their own transformer.....

Simon

• Like 2

We had the electric supply run to our house from the nearest point of supply which was over 350 Mtrs away from the land, cost for 11 x 8mtr PEA poles and 2 runs of 50mm aluminium cable was just under 100k,, also FYI if it's a new build you can apply for govt funding of up to 50k to provide electricity to your home, possibly can get the funding too for older homes that have no electric supply, but I'm not 100% sure about that

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In addition to the above info, I'm sure the wife told me the line we paid for from supply point to entry point or meter point before entering our land is controlled by the pea after 1 year is up and they can permit anyone else to hook up to that part of the line

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lots of info thanks to all.

My power needs are going to be for about 15 bungalows with A/c

Additional buildings on property with laundry machines. Office kitchen and maybe a pool in the future. Pumps

As I read more and more my best option is to see the elect authority.

Good advice on the transformer to have it put on the property if I need one

As you can see my ability to size and deal with the elect is very limited .

I have no trouble dealing with the plumbing and water.

I am doing the research now so when I start I have a good idea as to cost to budget for it

Hope when I do start this venture I will look for a good electrical engineer. I am sure there are some in here posting

Thanks all