Elance.com

Can be good or bad, just like an employee in real life. Up to you to properly vet the people you plan to hire and make sure you have explicit instructions so that there aren't any misunderstandings. One way is to get a small job done by a few people to check out how good they are. Then hire the good ones for any bigger projects. Also, only hire those with lots of good feedback.

I have made mostly good experiences with offering my services on Elance.

But your chances of being selected for a job or receiving invitations to submit a proposal enormously depend on your Elance profile, i.e. how well you market yourself in terms of your strengths and skills.

Initially, as a newbie, you will find it hard to land any jobs, because prospective employers look very carefully at your existing ratings and feedback. It's tough to build it up, and once you have it, you cannot just slack off and rest on your laurels. Your ratings need constant maintenance and "feeding".

Also don't expect to quickly get rich with Elance jobs. You're up against tough competition from around the world, with some people (particularly from India and the Balkan countries) putting up a hard fight by submitting real dumping rates in their proposals. Always try to stay a little under the average price proposed for any given job to raise your odds of being selected.

Having said all that, Elance is helpful if you have some free time and would like to make a few bucks on the side, but in my opinion it is not suitable for earning a living, i.e. exclusively relying on Elance as your sole source of income.

Hope this answer helps.

Edited by Misterwhisper

I have made mostly good experiences with offering my services on Elance.

But your chances of being selected for a job or receiving invitations to submit a proposal enormously depend on your Elance profile, i.e. how well you market yourself in terms of your strengths and skills.

Initially, as a newbie, you will find it hard to land any jobs, because prospective employers look very carefully at your existing ratings and feedback. It's tough to build it up, and once you have it, you cannot just slack off and rest on your laurels. Your ratings need constant maintenance and "feeding".

Also don't expect to quickly get rich with Elance jobs. You're up against tough competition from around the world, with some people (particularly from India and the Balkan countries) putting up a hard fight by submitting real dumping rates in their proposals. Always try to stay a little under the average price proposed for any given job to raise your odds of being selected.

Having said all that, Elance is helpful if you have some free time and would like to make a few bucks on the side, but in my opinion it is not suitable for earning a living, i.e. exclusively relying on Elance as your sole source of income.

Hope this answer helps.

Oh yes it helps. Indeed and it confirms my assumption about (not) getting rich with Elance.

Yes, I look for something on the side. I am not depending to the income and regard it more like a hobby.

Thank you!