Tata Motors MD Slym Dies After Fall From Hotel in Bangkok

Crossy

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This made international headlines. Political situation did not deserve anything other than a cursory mention in connction with news of this fall from a Hotel.

Suspicious deaths of famous and infamous persons are questionable.

Falls from high floors, suffoation asphixia by actors, unsolved asassinations and killings.

The countries comprising the sub continent have previous when it comes to british ex pats in senior positions, dying in hotel rooms .

Bob Woolmer anyone.

I don't mind their food but working with them ( or even worse FOR them).... the equivalent of hell on earth

Duplicitous, petty, unimaginative just a few words to get started.

Edited by makkam

How do you just fall?

Are the banister height all for midgets?

Haven,t you ever experienced being Drunk and going one step forward and 6 sideways, Not only are there a lot of short Balustrades to contend with but what Tradesman, and I use the term Liberally, installed it.

When drunk, these railings would be very easy to stumble over. I think the OZ standard is about 900mm, which for a tallish person is not high enough. RIP.

Agree. Thai balcony rails are often too short for many westerners, especially in older properties, but the Shangri-La should have been better. However, if the guy was tall, then the balcony rail could easily have been too low. He may have been bent over the balcony to take a view and then slipped, especially if he had drunk some alcohol.

A fall?

There's a helluva lot of these ' unfortunate accidents ' and Pattaya must hold the world record.

Try reading before posting - nothing to do with Pattaya

Easy there fella...! All I can see in NKKid's post is that there are a lot of these 'unfortunate' incidents, and as an aside, Pattaya appears to hold the world record.

I didn't see any suggestion from him that the OP was about Pattaya, merely that he was using that wonderful place as an example.

• Like 1

Slym was a fairly tall guy.

I am always banging into low hanging crap in Thailand.

That balcony railing height combined with a tallish person might be quite a hazard after a few drinks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Karl+Slym&espv=210&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MrPlUuL-NcGSrgeSrYHoCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=1186&bih=744

Well spotted - yes he was tall and likely to be why he fell - also top heavy so balance would be a problem, coupled with lower than farang average balcony rail height. I wonder if the BIB come up with the conclusion that it was suicide?

I have stayed at this hotel several times, and find it hard to believe that one could "accidentally" fall over the balcony railings, even when very intoxicated.

Very sad end and R I P

You are being far to polite, I have also stayed there and entertained business colleges there and unless Mr Slym was over 2.2 mts tall he did NOT fall, what happened I will not speculate as it does no good, the case will be buried as usual and that will be the end of it. RIP and condolences to family.

• Like 1

Would I be right to say that nowadays it would be safer to go on a bus tour in Thailand, than to stay in a Bangkok hotel?

Makes me think.......whistling.gif

Bus Tour with a great Company, 2 drivers , latest Movies, VIP Massaging seats, cant beat it. Just came to BKK from CM and enjoyed it, during Daylight. Mind the Stairs though.

Not trying to make the normal conspiracy theory just putting it out there to people interested in why he was in Thailand...Slym was visiting Bangkok for a meeting of the Board of Directors of Tata Motors Thailand Ltd, As part of restructuring exercise Slym last week had announced a voluntary retirement scheme to a section of employees to rationalise costs.... sad.png

Some posters are indicating he fell off due to being drunk.

For all we know he was stone cold sober .

Those balconies look quite safe even for a tall person who has had maybe a glass of wine or two. Maybe he hadnt had a drink at all.

Why are people checking into hotels in thailand and rushing over to the balcony or window and falling off or

commiting suicide ?

I dont buy it.

Not another one ! would make interesting reading to see how

many people lose their lives ,in Thailand every year ,think TAT

should put up warning signs at all International Airports.

DANGER don't go on balcony !

regards Worgeordie

Ask a friend at your embassy how many deaths they follow-up here every week. You may be amazed.

Amazing Thailand!

A fall?

There's a helluva lot of these ' unfortunate accidents ' and Pattaya must hold the world record.

Try reading before posting - nothing to do with Pattaya

I am well aware of that but it's part of just how many of these incidents there are.

Please don't pick me up before I fall and I don't mean from a balcony. Try something more productive than just being picky.

How's commenting on your mentioning of a totally unrelated place in a post being picky? I see there was a bomb went off in Iraq yesterday, same as Bangkok!

My question would be why does Tata, an Indian company, need to have meetings in Bangkok? Nice way to get the company to pay for a foreign holiday if you ask me.

According to media it was a board meeting of Tata motors Thailand. Why he was here us irrelevant is it not? The guy is dead !

I just measured my balcony railing height. It is 82 cm. Visitors have commented about it being on the low and thus dangerous side.

Yup.

As a guide the minimum top rail height for scaffolding and fall protection for construction sites in the UK is 910mm.

150 / 470 / 910 (toe board / mid-rail / top rail).

Condolences to the guy's loved ones.

I suspect a balcony railing lower than he was expecting. Many places I've stayed in Thailand have balconies significantly lower than any back home, including my own apartment.

Anyone know why the OP file photo of this Tata guy has a Chevy in it?