Insulting and untrue article on CM

jaideeguy

I never see any of the Uni girls freelancing. sad.png

Guess I need to get the glasses updated. biggrin.png

David

The short-time hotels are often placed near the universities for a reason.

Go along during the day and ask reception if they can help you.

Maybe ... if I was 40 years younger. wai2.gif

David

I never see any of the Uni girls freelancing. sad.png

Guess I need to get the glasses updated. biggrin.png

David

The short-time hotels are often placed near the universities for a reason.

Go along during the day and ask reception if they can help you.

I don't know CM that well , are the uni's near the airport?

In Cm there are

3 go-gos

3 Soapy massage fishbowls

300 short-time hotels (allegedly)

100 Bars with a barfine policy

Numerous brothels and Karaokes

Endless massage parlours with everything on offer.

And countless uni girls free-lancing.

Not to mention 1000s of girls on TLL, happy to come for the weekend.

How many places do you need?

same same in most any Thai city or town, but other than a 2 block pathetic ghost area [Loi Kroh] and a couple of blocks in CM golden land [for locals only], this town is dead if a tourist is looking for some action. Secret places do exist with a few tuk tuk drivers [at your own risk] but for the most part, CM is dead after dark.....................especially when compared with all the 'in your face' venues attracting the tourists.in the beach areas.

Come on y'all; if his hotel was near the Night Bazar then it's possible (likely) that the taxi driver took him through the Chiang Mai Land development and Chang Klan road, which has several posh karaoke places, with pretty women outside.

Most of those places don't often have a lot of customers on week nights, but it is very possible that this was a legitimate first impression when the author visited. Instead of ridiculing him it's worth thinking about first impressions by completely new visitors; that's an experience we can never have again.

I made a mental note not to drive guests through there but go past the old town city moat instead. Then first impressions will be a bit more scenic. ;)

• Like 1

That was simply un-professional journalism. Shameful and disrespectful. IF you spend tons of research/time in a place, I think criticism is fine. But this was simply for sake of web hits.

I am a HORRIBLE writer, but would have written something much different (at first). I'll give highlights: CM is much different than BKK, from dialect to food to surroundings. Beautiful mountains, friendly people, and cheaper housing. CM has it all, except a beach. Go camping one night, learn to cook the next. In-between, get a great massage just outside the old city.

blah, blah, blah......bashing and sex talk should come much later. In fact, it is much less obvious than BKK and pattaya. anyhow, this guy is an obvious hack.

• Like 2

That was simply un-professional journalism. Shameful and disrespectful. IF you spend tons of research/time in a place, I think criticism is fine. But this was simply for sake of web hits.

I am a HORRIBLE writer, but would have written something much different (at first). I'll give highlights: CM is much different than BKK, from dialect to food to surroundings. Beautiful mountains, friendly people, and cheaper housing. CM has

You would write that because the goal of the article would be to give a general description of Chiang Mai. It would work in a short travel article. The author of the Huffpost writes for the sake of writing something that people will want to read, without any prior interest in Thailand, Chiang Mai or even travel. That means the topic should be sex or crime, end of.

It's kind of refreshing to see Chiang Mai advertised as a sex tourist den. ;)

• Like 1

All of these travellers want to tell the world what they believe they have discovered in the "Orient", they are fools with narcissistic ndencies and believe they are right. He has an agenda and is a "MANGINA" ( man apologist who spew the women's movement venom.)

Chiang Mai Land Road doesn't really fit the description in the article. When going from the airport to the night bazaar area there is a shortcut that I've been taken on by taxis. They turn left off of Mahidol Road by the B2 Airport Hotel, then go to the right of the hotel and up a couple of blocks and turn right on a long road that eventually merges with Chang Klan Road right before the night bazaar. I could possibly see this road with its bars being described as in the article. In the evening it is not really well lit and might seem a bit seedy.

However, the article is definitely bogus no matter how you look at it.

Grin

In Cm there are

3 go-gos

3 Soapy massage fishbowls

300 short-time hotels (allegedly)

100 Bars with a barfine policy

Numerous brothels and Karaokes

Endless massage parlours with everything on offer.

And countless uni girls free-lancing.

Not to mention 1000s of girls on TLL, happy to come for the weekend.

How many places do you need?

Think you could post a list with address and maybe a map??

• Like 1

Chiang Mai Land Road doesn't really fit the description in the article. When going from the airport to the night bazaar area there is a shortcut that I've been taken on by taxis. They turn left off of Mahidol Road by the B2 Airport Hotel, then go to the right of the hotel and up a couple of blocks and turn right on a long road that eventually merges with Chang Klan Road right

I think that's See Ping Muang Road; I meandered down there this morning on my walk. First time I've wandered down there for some reason and I had to look up the name of the road on Google Maps when I got back. Lots and lots and lots of Thai-style bars, I was surprised by how many.

As I was walking past them I wondered whether they have sleezy girls there at night, but concluded no for some reason (totally without thinking about this thread)

I agree Sripingmuang would look a bit more grim but on the other hand you don't really see pretty girls outside there. Along Chiang Mai Land and Chang Klan you do.

Chang Klan looks considerably less 'third-world' in our minds, but don't forget this is a first time visitor; just about anything can look a bit dodgy to a newbie at nighttime.

And if you're a taxi driver and you drive past those places there is always the chance of your passenger expressing an interest, so there is the opportunity for a nice commission. That opportunity might outweigh the couple hundred meters saved using tiny sois and Sripingmuang. (And that only really applies when the hotel is truly at the night bazar; if you're talking about the Empress or Shangri-La then I still say Chiang Mai land makes more sense.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Come on y'all; if his hotel was near the Night Bazar then it's possible (likely) that the taxi driver took him through the Chiang Mai Land development and Chang Klan road, which has several posh karaoke places, with pretty women outside.

I think you are giving the blogger way too mauch credit. It is much more likely that he wrote the story to fit his agenda. I don't believe for a second that he saw this stuff on his way from the airport to his hotel.

• Like 2

You could hardly call this an "article" at all, just a couple of paragraphs of erroneous first impressions. I think, as others have noted that he got a tour of Chang Klan Road, Chang Mai Land Road, and possibly Sri Donchai Road, heading east from Pantip intersection. As well, he might have seen a bit of Loi Kroh Rd. Then he went to the Top North Thai Boxing venue near Thapae Gate. I suspect he might have asked his driver where's all the babes around here, any action?

There are garishly lit karaoke bars scattered about central city area, and the girls do sit out front on most warm nights. These observations are nothing to get offended about. A couple of you couldn't resist calling out the Huff Post for its alleged liberal bias, even to the post of calling the writer a "man-gina". Ridiculous.

It's a change at least from these Top Five Retirement Destination puff pieces.

Chiang Mai Land Road doesn't really fit the description in the article. When going from the airport to the night bazaar area there is a shortcut that I've been taken on by taxis. They turn left off of Mahidol Road by the B2 Airport Hotel, then go to the right of the hotel and up a couple of blocks and turn right on a long road that eventually merges with Chang Klan Road right

I think that's See Ping Muang Road; I meandered down there this morning on my walk. First time I've wandered down there for some reason and I had to look up the name of the road on Google Maps when I got back. Lots and lots and lots of Thai-style bars, I was surprised by how many.

As I was walking past them I wondered whether they have sleezy girls there at night, but concluded no for some reason (totally without thinking about this thread)

yes i am sure that is where the author was talking about, Sriping Muang road, followed my Chang Klan. but things are changing on Sriping Muang Road. they have already demolished more than 1/2 of the shacks in order to build shop houses and many more are soon to be demolished. pretty sleazy area. one of the last cheap places to go for a night out on the town

• Like 2