Panasonic LED light bulbs - where to buy them?

fishbrando

The LED market in Thailand is dominated by cheap copies and low quality products. Use an experienced installer who give at least 2 years guarantee but also consultation how to do lightning when changing to LED. Much cheaper electricity and longevity of lamps. "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" In Pattaya I can recommend swedtech.com. What they don't know about LED is not worth knowing.

how much less electric do they use?

(I always get the wholesale promotions from Chinese noname led bulbs and similar products).

I replaced my bedside lamps , 25W , with 6W LEDs. Divide 25 by 6 and you have the answer. By the way the 6W LEDs seem a little brighter.

how much less electric do they use?

(I always get the wholesale promotions from Chinese noname led bulbs and similar products).

You can save around 90 per cent of power with modern bright LEDs.

However looking at the costs only – there may be other benefits from LEDs – the LEDs are more expensive to buy and quite many of the non-brand-name products do not last the guaranteed lifetime (forget about complaining in Thailand), so your total cost may be higher than using energy savers. Brand names like Philips etc. are more likely to last, but can cost double or triple of the non-branded low-price products. I’m talking from experience, having some 150+ LEDs and some 50 energy savers in my house; began using the latter as some of the early days, three-four years ago, by then expensive non-branded LEDs lasted down to a few months only.

Examples:

Old-fashioned bulb, 40W 220V/E27: 10 baht, life span aprox. 1 year burning 12 hours/night

12 x 365 = 4,380h x 0.040 = 176kWh x 4 baht = 704 + 10 = 714 baht/year

Philips 5 W energy saver 220V/E27: 119 baht, life span aprox. 2 years burning 12 hours/night

12 x 365 x 2 = 8,760h x 0.005 = 44kWh x 4 baht = 176 + 119 = 295/2 = 148 baht/year

No-name 4 W LED 220V/E27: 199 baht (or more), life span less than, or at best 2 years, burning 12 hours/night

12 x 365 x 2 = 8,760h x 0.003kWh = 27kWh x 4 baht = 108 + 199 = 307/2 = 154 baht/year

Brand-name 4 W LED 220V/E27: 600 baht, life span 60-80,000 hours equals about 14 years burning 12 hours/night

12 x 365 x 14 = 61,320h x 0.003 = 184kWh x 4 baht = 736 + 600 = 1,336 /14 = 96 baht/year

12 volt LEDs with external transformer is the best; last longer, as the 220 V/E27 (or like) includes a tiny transformer circuit that often fails in the cheaper products. If using a old-fashioned 12-Volt transformer, best is if it fits the power consumption of the LED – i.e. a 50 W transformer for a 5 W LED will use more power than 5 W due to some energy loss in transformer (heat, however various arguments about how big actual the loss is). However a 50 W transformer can feed a number of LEDs. Some so-called electronic transformers for halogen spots may not work with the low power consuming LEDs – check if approved for LED.

12 volt LEDs are cheaper and there is much wider selection of varieties, than when choosing 220V/E27.

• Like 1

Here is rough comparison of power power consumption:

LED Incandescent CFL

1w 25w -

3w 40w 5w

5w 60w 12w

7w 100w 24w

9w 150w 30w

12w 250w 40w

Not sure where you got those numbers, but I was in HomePro this morning looking at the selection of LED lamps. They had an 11W LED lamp that said it was the equivalent of 70W incandescent.

That's a far cry from what you list.

In the USA, LED lamps in the 20+ W range were being listed around 100+W equivalent. Check the Home Depot or Lowes sites if you don't believe me.

In any event, LED lamps with sufficient output to be used as main lighting replacement are still way to expensive.

I do have a couple of small (about 5W equivalent) LED lights I use as nightlights.

LED Incandescent CFL

1w 25w -

3w 40w 5w

5w 60w 12w

7w 100w 24w

9w 150w 30w

12w 250w 40w

Not sure where you got those numbers, but I was in HomePro this morning looking at the selection of LED lamps. They had an 11W LED lamp that said it was the equivalent of 70W incandescent.

In the USA, LED lamps in the 20+ W range were being listed around 100+W equivalent. Check the Home Depot or Lowes sites if you don't believe me.

In any event, LED lamps with sufficient output to be used as main lighting replacement are still way to expensive.

I do have a couple of small (about 5W equivalent) LED lights I use as nightlights.

Brand name LEDs rapidly get brighter and brighter; what was a 5 W LED a few years ago can be replaced by 2-3 W today. Look at the lumen – which many non-name manufacturers with the cheaper products do not inform – when comparing. Another thing is the impression of light, the Kelvin temperature indicates if it’s warm (about 2700 degrees Kelvin) or cold light (about 4500 degrees Kelvin).

This is what I find on internet and from my own experience. LED lamps with e27 base and needing individual transformers are not nearly as power efficient as above chart would indicate - but they should last much longer (if transformer does not fail - as the two I bought from China did)

http://eartheasy.com/live_led_bulbs_comparison.html

post-326-0-80039100-1391066884_thumb.jpg

LED Incandescent CFL

1w 25w -

3w 40w 5w

5w 60w 12w

7w 100w 24w

9w 150w 30w

12w 250w 40w

And the energy saver: I am not sure if they last 2 years in average. While some seems to last forever some give up very soon.

I just bought a Phillips 5w LED edison-socket bulb and the package said it's equivalent to 40w incandescent, and that appears to be about right, so lopburi3's chart seems about right.

• 9 months later...