Govt To Ask 33 Banks For Rice Money Loans

Lite Beer

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No banker in his right mind will loan the government a penny.

First it might be illegal, but more important the government has nothing but sweet words as a guarantee to pay the money back later. What if the next government says they don't care about the old governments promises to pay up? There is only risk involved on the banker's side and very little to be earned.

Basically the government is bankrupt, because it overspent what they had as budget and now they are not allowed to raise new funds by borrowing.

Somebody should have told Taksin before he agreed to have the pariament dissolved. Now he's in a rut...

The government has enough money. They just can't access it because the government is in "caretaker" mode due to the elections.

So, basically ..the farmers are not being paid thanks to Suthep.

What a load of rubbish.

The money should have been paid four months ago. Long before Suthep started all this.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is government debt now so much worse than in the past?

<iframe src='http://www.tradingeconomics.com/iframe/chart.aspx?url=/thailand/government-debt-to-gdp' height='350' width='700' frameborder='0' scrolling='no'></iframe><br />Source: <a href='http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/government-debt-to-gdp' target='_blank'>tradingeconomics.com</a><br />

To get a better view, set the start date on the graph to 1997. Also click 'forecast' and then select 'trend'.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

The government has enough money. They just can't access it because the government is in "caretaker" mode due to the elections.

Wrong on this point yet again. Payment was due in October. October!

He's wrong on the facts most of the time but he never lets facts get in the way of his bad arguments.

• Like 1

Talking of the rice pledging scheme, has the govt outlined any policies for the upcoming 'election'?

Guess not, no one is asking, and why would they?

I wonder if they plan to carry on with this particular policy, I guess it's worked out for them on a personal level.

Good business sense put it out to the competitive market... thumbsup.gif

I'm sure a lot will be whining but at least they are trying to get the farmers paid for what they have already sold on promise.

I see a lot of posters hating the idea of for some reason and have no idea why they would wish hardship on hard working farmers. They deserve to be paid in full asap imo.

You should have told the PTP that on September the 3rd when they approved 270 billion baht to cover the 2013 - 2014 rice pledging season that stops on the 28th of February. Then reminded them at the start of October when they started not getting paid. Then reminded them again after their 3rd broken promise on the 25th of January. Now remind them again while they beg to borrow money from banks that are worried they will be a bad investment while breaking the law that stipulates they cannot do financial transitions in caretaker mode.

Then again, you didn't need to remind them because the DEMS warned them that this is exactly what would happen when Yingluck flip flopped on her reduced price pledge.

So yes, they most definitely deserve to be paid in full. They deserved it 4 months ago!

• Like 1

So why haven´t the farmers been paid since Oktober? Why didn´t the PTP paid the money before they become a caretaker government? Simple, they have run out of money.

I believe that some farmers have been paid.

Why not pay already? Maybe something to do with Suthep's crowd blocking sale of rice, etc?

Run out of money? You mean YL, the other ministers, army, police, etc, are working for free? The government has no billions & trillions allocated to things like flood control & infrastructure, that could be used to pay the farmers, apart from red tape & BS, etc, blocking them from doing so?

Please tell me where any rice sales have been blocked by the protesters.

The farmers haven't been paid because this scheme has utterly failed and there is no money to pay them.

I would like to see the farmers paid, farming a a tough life as it is, but this PT govt has destroyed Thailand's rice industry and has no money coming in from rice sales to meet its obligations.

They have betrayed their core support.

Is government debt now so much worse than in the past?

<iframe src='http://www.tradingeconomics.com/iframe/chart.aspx?url=/thailand/government-debt-to-gdp' height='350' width='700' frameborder='0' scrolling='no'></iframe><br />Source: <a href='http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/government-debt-to-gdp' target='_blank'>tradingeconomics.com</a><br />

To get a better view, set the start date on the graph to 1997.

No it isn't.

UK Debt / GDP is 91%

Germany 82%

Thailand 45%

Lower is better.

No bank in their right mind is going to loan this administration a dime, unless it can secure it against assets. These criminals will sell out the country to line their own pockets.

Absolute BOCs

The rubbish that comes out of your mouth beggars belief sometimes.

If this Govt had enough money to pay they would NOT be seeking new loans. Simple. The money is not there due to corruption, theft and the basic fact that it was a stupid policy to begin with and was always going to lose money. Taxpayer money, mine included. What do you think part of what these protests have been about for the past few months?

They are a caretaker Govt and have no legal right to take out any further debt burden.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul helps no one at this point.

If they could be bothered with a compromise (which would be a first in the history of any Thaksin led Govt), they could have talked to the EC and the opposition and asked for their agreement to a temporary loan to cover these initial payments due.

Some people are completely clueless and others just plain lights on no one home. Then there is a small percentage of people in the advertising business who get paid to make things up.

This Government is so financially irresponsible that it borders on Stupidity. Maybe beyond that. We know they are corrupt.

First they shift a huge payment off to the BOT to make room for more loans. Then they go and buy rice at a high price and sell it at a low price and after two and a half years of losing money at it have to borrow more money to pay the farmers. In other words they can't afford it but they make an announcement that they are going to continue on with it. Now they want to borrow another 2.2 trillion baht. All this in two and a half years.

They should except Suthep's plan as a way to back out of the havoc they have caused and intend to keep causing. It would allow them to save face. After all there is nothing wrong with wanting a more honest and open government. Other than a red shirt and a PTP member who would object to that.

The money was due long before Suthep came on the scene and before Yingluck dissolved the house. But as I said earlier there are some segments of the society who for one reason or another could care less about the truth.

• Like 2

IQ 15..., at most!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

And the answer is NO!!!!!!!!! Totally insane. And later you wonder why politicians are so disrespected in Thailand. They must know what they do is bad. Just return those greedy farmers their rice. This is acceptable. There must be a lesson in it for the farmers too!

And the answer is NO!!!!!!!!! Totally insane. And later you wonder why politicians are so disrespected in Thailand. They must know what they do is bad. Just return those greedy farmers their rice. This is acceptable. There must be a lesson in it for the farmers too!

• Like 1

No bank in their right mind is going to loan this administration a dime, unless it can secure it against assets. These criminals will sell out the country to line their own pockets.

Absolute BOCs

If I'm owed 50,000 baht by the government, I have an asset worth 50,000 baht that has the same quality as any other government debt. So a farmer can simply borrow against his givernment debt, no different than borrowing against a government bond.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

I'm sure a lot will be whining but at least they are trying to get the farmers paid for what they have already sold on promise.

I see a lot of posters hating the idea of for some reason and have no idea why they would wish hardship on hard working farmers. They deserve to be paid in full asap imo.

You are absolutely right.

As I understand it most of the money was due in October. They took the rice then and here we are three months later and they say we are going to try to borrow the money to pay for it. But keep on growing it because we are going to keep on buying it at an inflated price that we can not afford to pay.sad.png

Why did they wait three months to say we are going to try to borrow the money? Why did they not borrow it when it was due?

Also I believe that some of the unions are against the bank's loaning the money.

I think I got it right. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.wai.gif

Absolute BOCs

If I'm owed 50,000 baht by the government, I have an asset worth 50,000 baht that has the same quality as any other government debt. So a farmer can simply borrow against his givernment debt, no different than borrowing against a government bond.

But the figures don't add up, but the debts are mounting.

Tis nothing but plunder. Arrrrgghh.

I agree. Nobody should wish people to be murdered, nor hardships on people. Still, you read here where people do. I will never understand it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Absolute BOCs

Except the banks won't lend to them and many are resorting to loan sharks. Why should they have to borrow anyway? The govt took their rice so they should pay up. Problem is, they can't because they can't sell the rice they bought at ludicrous prices.

• Like 2

The Shinafia will stop at nothing to get hold of as much money for themselves before its all over and they are forced into exile.

This is plunder on a massive scale.

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 2

Where did all the money go or, how did TS's wealth inc.by 45% during the PTP Era????????????????

That is the question, my dear YL?????

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

it didnt he had 1 billion returned of his frozen assets last year... have a look at forbes the top 10 thais nearly all doubled their worth in the past year alone. Its called physical stimulus and money printing and the effect on the wealth the top 1%

• Like 2