F1 2014

rixalex

Condolences to Jenson for losing his father. John Button seemed a real F1 enthusiast, and was obviously very close to his son. Tough time for Jenson.

Tough time for the Schumacher family too. Hope we get some good news about Michael soon, although it appears pretty bleak at the moment.

On the matter of the new season, a lot of manufacturers revealing their car design for 2014 this week. They all seem very ugly, particularly in the nose area. Will be interesting to see anyway how they do in testing. Red Bull and Mercedes are thought to have the best packages, but nobody really knows until they are all on the same track being driven hard. Whatever the case, should be an interesting season.

• Like 1

Didn't know John Button had passed away - RIP John.

I was quite shocked as it happened a few weeks ago and i missed hearing about it.

I was also quite shocked to read Jackie Stewart in a BBC column saying that he thought Jenson would be unaffected by it as racing drivers have a way of dealing with death. I understand racing drivers have a way of dealing with the deaths of fellow drivers killed in accidents. That's one thing. But dealing with the death of your father, particularly when you are very close to them, as Jenson clearly was, that's quite another.

Today's news i see is that Bernie is now proposing his ridiculous idea of double points be extended to not only the last race of the season, but the last three races. About the most stupid idea i have ever heard.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/25955560

Expecting another season of red bull dominance.

With all the changes this season, if they do go on to dominate once again, they'll be worthy champions. They are having a nightmare in Jerez at the moment though, so they have some work to do that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Changes to qualifying proposed.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/f1/f1-qualifying-set-for-overhaul

Neurosurgeon hopeful Schumacher will make a "reasonable" recovery.

Edit. Jenson's comments for the season don't sound too promising.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/f1/button-not-expecting-fast-start

Just wish they would, for one, stop fiddling and faffing around with basic and fundamental rules of the sport, and for two, with regards qualifying, go back to the simple everyone has an hour and twelve laps to set the fastest time they can. Q3 is over before it has begun, and invariably you have half a dozen cars all doing their fastest time on the exact same lap, so you can't properly follow any of them.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Changes to qualifying proposed.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/f1/f1-qualifying-set-for-overhaul

Neurosurgeon hopeful Schumacher will make a "reasonable" recovery.

Edit. Jenson's comments for the season don't sound too promising.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/f1/button-not-expecting-fast-start

Just wish they would, for one, stop fiddling and faffing around with basic and fundamental rules of the sport, and for two, with regards qualifying, go back to the simple everyone has an hour and twelve laps to set the fastest time they can. Q3 is over before it has begun, and invariably you have half a dozen cars all doing their fastest time on the exact same lap, so you can't properly follow any of them.

Actually, they made one small but positive change to the qualifying: an additional set of tires for Q3 so that there is no more reason to remain in the pits during Q3 because they want to save tires.

A small step but much demanded by the spectators.

I am trying very hard to understand the new rules for this season. The cars and the engine, sorry power-units, have become so complicated that without computers they can no be driven anymore.

Take the simple process of breaking into a corner. A sophisticated computer has to control the balance, how much goes to the ERS, how the differential has to be set to avoid blocking, how much breaking power must be directed to the front and how much to the back....

Of course, there is still the balance adjuster in the cockpit, but the main work is done by the computer.

Or how about the turbo lag? In the previous turbo era, the driver had to anticipate this lag and floor the throttle a bit early, earlier than in an aspirated engine. But too early and the car spins, too late and the car limps out of the corner.

Now an electric motor is used to spin-up the turbo before the power is requested (did I get that right?), so that there should be no turbo lag.

And they banned the active suspension cars because the driver was no longer in control!

On the other hand, some IMHO very silly restrictions in the rules for building the power-unit. Like variable geometry turbo is illegal, same for variable valve technology. Also, exhaust gases cannot be used to create downforce anymore. What a waste of energy! I have troubles understanding FIA.

But what can we expect from the races? A repeat of the time when gasoline was restricted and many cars didn't make it to the finish line or had to drastically slow down, effectively exit the race, to make it to the chequered flag?

I guess first we will see many cars breaking down during the race. So who ever makes it to the finish line probably gets points. I expect that for about half the season the cars will have all kind of problems, but after the August break things should be better.

Oh, and what about the MacLaren rear suspension? Legal?

• 2 weeks later...
Very sad that. Starting to wonder whether it wouldn't have been better for all concerned had he just snapped his neck and passed away on the spot. The thought of him as a bed-ridden vegetable for the next 10 years or so is very depressing. Sympathies to his family.
  • Like 2

Don't quite know how, but this story from a month or two back seemed to have passed me by. The coup at Mclaren with Whitmarsh being stabbed in the back by Dennis. Cut-throat world is F1. Still, it is true to say that whatever one thinks of Dennis, the team has been on a continual downward slide since his departure. Wonder if he'll get things back on track. Hope for Button's sake he does.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula-one/25766407

• Like 1

Don't quite know how, but this story from a month or two back seemed to have passed me by. The coup at Mclaren with Whitmarsh being stabbed in the back by Dennis. Cut-throat world is F1. Still, it is true to say that whatever one thinks of Dennis, the team has been on a continual downward slide since his departure. Wonder if he'll get things back on track. Hope for Button's sake he does.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula-one/25766407

So now Brawn is on a sabatical, I thought he'd done with being involved with F1?

• Like 1

I am trying very hard to understand the new rules for this season. The cars and the engine, sorry power-units, have become so complicated that without computers they can no be driven anymore.

Take the simple process of breaking into a corner. A sophisticated computer has to control the balance, how much goes to the ERS, how the differential has to be set to avoid blocking, how much breaking power must be directed to the front and how much to the back....

Of course, there is still the balance adjuster in the cockpit, but the main work is done by the computer.

Or how about the turbo lag? In the previous turbo era, the driver had to anticipate this lag and floor the throttle a bit early, earlier than in an aspirated engine. But too early and the car spins, too late and the car limps out of the corner.

Now an electric motor is used to spin-up the turbo before the power is requested (did I get that right?), so that there should be no turbo lag.

And they banned the active suspension cars because the driver was no longer in control!

On the other hand, some IMHO very silly restrictions in the rules for building the power-unit. Like variable geometry turbo is illegal, same for variable valve technology. Also, exhaust gases cannot be used to create downforce anymore. What a waste of energy! I have troubles understanding FIA.

But what can we expect from the races? A repeat of the time when gasoline was restricted and many cars didn't make it to the finish line or had to drastically slow down, effectively exit the race, to make it to the chequered flag?

I guess first we will see many cars breaking down during the race. So who ever makes it to the finish line probably gets points. I expect that for about half the season the cars will have all kind of problems, but after the August break things should be better.

Oh, and what about the MacLaren rear suspension? Legal?

F1 has really got it's knickers in a twist. They're doing far too much regulating for reasons other than safety and compliance with the basics of the formula. We will never see another 6-wheeler, or turbine-engined car :(

Indeed Jpinx, so sad that FIA is actually killing creativity with its Über-regulation frenzy. Every little detail is subject to rules, restrictions and limitations. They might as well designate one manufacturer to build a car identical to all drivers and teams.

What apparently FIA has not understood is that these over-regulation is making the sport more expensive, although they constantly talk about reducing cost.

Indeed, ever little advantage over the competitors can only come from massive and costly research and development, not from a creative engineer.

Actually I never understood those who request motorsport and F1 in particular to be a leader in developing better street cars or to be a leader in environment protection. I mean, nobody asks the football teams to direct their efforts towards developing better air in a stadium or the high-jumper to help elder ladies to better jump down from the bus. Why can't motorsport not be just what it is? Sport.

• Like 2

Nice to see Ron back at the helm of McLaren...

I always felt he was a sacrificial lamb to appease the "bogey men" of F1.

Ross found his total control of the Mercedes team being undermined, one has to remember how he picked up the team from the gutter after Honda ditched them, not only to race 2009 but win the Constructors Championship, and Brawn's driver Button won the Drivers Championship with Rubin's 3rd, quit an achievement for a team that was very lucky to even compete again in F1.

One does wonder how and if Ron & Ross can work together, but if they can you will have a dream team, MaLaren has lost a lot in the last few year including Lewis who was clearly a better driver than Button.

Lewis, a very thoughtful guy, who always gave credit to his team when they won and the first accept the blame for mistakes, predicted to be the driver with the best chances of winning this year, he is the first to say the changes are going to make this year unpredictable.

I suspect Lewis does not like going out there as favorite as it means he has nothing to win and everything to lose, expect he will have a sand bag or two hidden away for the practice sessions tomorrow and Saturday.

The big issues seem to be reliability and fuel.

Edited by Basil B

A fun qualifying but somewhat marred for me with all the booing that Vettel was getting. He's a four times world champ for goodness sake. Give him some respect. Great qualifying by his team mate though.

Today for me will be all about reliability, and who actually makes it to the chequered flag. Mercedes are clearly favourites, but i just can't help thinking that the fastest car is unlikely to also be the most reliable car. This could be one of those seasons in which the driver with a more conservative car, a more conservative set up, and a more conservative general approach, could with consistent but unspectacular performances, end up claiming the biggest prize.

Watching practise on tv today. Exhaust notes sound appalling imho. Used to love the howling werewolves lined up on the grid in previous years. Been replaced with something that sounds like Formula Ford in a box.

They sound asthmatic.

As far as the sound goes, I don't think tv viewers will be too badly effected. Replicating the aural experience of being at a racing track is something I don't think television has ever come close to. We won't miss what we never really had. Of course whole different story for those lucky enough to attend.

As far as the sound goes, I don't think tv viewers will be too badly effected. Replicating the aural experience of being at a racing track is something I don't think television has ever come close to. We won't miss what we never really had. Of course whole different story for those lucky enough to attend.

I don't think tv viewers will be too badly effected

Maybe just me, but tried 3 different channels on P 1, 2 and 3 and Q...... found the engine note loud or different as had difficulties hearing what was being said + different commentators.. [Fox Sport, Sky Sport and Star Sports were all the same..] will try BBC as well for the Race later

I don't think tv viewers will be too badly effected

Maybe just me, but tried 3 different channels on P 1, 2 and 3 and Q...... found the engine note loud or different as had difficulties hearings what was being said + different commentators.. [Fox Sport, Sky Sport and Star Sports were all the same..] will try BBC as well for the Race later

I watched half of qualifying on 365 Sport. It had Martin Brundle commentating. Is that Star Sports? Not sure. No problem with sound. Problem with weather however. Had to switch to what I think was BBC, but could have been Sky. Had DC commentating. No problem with sound on that either.

Well I admit to having reservations about this season, but I bloody well enjoyed that race. Great to be able to hear the car to pit chat, and great to see a Williams that looks like it's going to be competitive. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Ricciardo excluded from Australia race results

Red Bulls Daniel Ricciardo has lost his second-place finish in Sunday's Australian Grand Prix after stewards decided his car had run with too high a fuel flow rate during the race. The team are to appeal the decision.

Ricciardo crossed the line behind winner Nico Rosberg to claim his maiden F1 podium. His exclusion elevates McLaren's Kevin Magnussen to P2 and team mate Jenson Button to third.

Under article 5.1.4 of the new 2014 technical regulations, cars are limited to a fuel flow rate of 100kg/hour, as measured by an FIA-homologated sensor on the car.

According to the stewards report, Red Bull used a different fuel sensor on Saturday after they found the one used on Friday had produced unreliable readings. However, when the sensor used on Saturday failed to provide results that were satisfactory to them or the FIA, they were instructed to change back to the original sensor within parc ferme on Saturday night.

Considering this sensor unreliable, Red Bull chose to rely on their own internal fuel flow model, something that the stewards say is in violation of the procedure outlined in the technical regulations.

Furthermore, Red Bull were warned by the FIAs technical representative during the race that the fuel flow on Ricciardos car was too high. The team were given the opportunity to correct this, but according to the stewards report, they chose not to make any changes.

Announcing their intention to appeal the stewards decision, Red Bull said: Inconsistencies with the FIA fuel flow meter have been prevalent all weekend up and down the pit lane. The Team and Renault are confident the fuel supplied to the engine is in full compliance with the regulations.

The stewards' decision in full:

The Stewards, having received a report from the Technical Delegate, heard from the team representatives, have considered the following matter and determine a breach of the regulations has been committed by the competitor named below and impose the penalty referred to.

No/Driver: 3, Daniel Ricciardo

Competitor: Infiniti Red Bull Racing

Time: 20:17

Session: Race

Facts: Car #3 was not in compliance with article 5.1.4 of the FIA Formula 1 technical tegulations.

Offence: Breach of article 3.2 of the FIA Formula 1 sporting regulations and Article 5.1.4 of the FIA Formula 1 technical regulations.

Decision: Car #3 is excluded from the race results.

Reason:

1) The technical delegate reported to the stewards that car #3 exceeded the required fuel mass flow of 100kg/h. (article 5.1.4 of the Formula 1 technical regulations)

2) This parameter is outside of the control of the driver, Daniel Ricciardo.

3) The fuel flow is measured using the fuel flow sensor (Art. 5.10.3 & 5.10.4 of the technical regulations) which is homologated by the FIA and owned and operated by the team.

4) The stewards considered the history of the fitted fuel flow sensor, as described by the team and the technical delegate's representative who administers the programme. Their description of the history of the sensor matches.

a. During practice one a difference in reading between the first three and run four was detected. The same readings as Run 4 were observed throughout practice two.

b. The team used a different sensor on Saturday but did not get readings that were satisfactory to them or the FIA, so they were instructed to change the sensor within parc ferme on Saturday night.

c. They operated the original sensor during the race, which provided the same readings as run four of practice one, and practice two.

5) The stewards heard from the technical representative that when the sensor was installed on Saturday night, he instructed the team to apply an offset to their fuel flow such that the fuel flow would have been legal. He presented an email to the stewards that verified his instruction.

6) The technical representative stated to the stewards that there is variation in the sensors. However, the sensors fall within a known range, and are individually calibrated. They then become the standard which the teams must use for their fuel flow.

7) The team stated that based on the difference observed between the two readings in P1, they considered the fuel flow sensor to be unreliable. Therefore, for the start of the race they chose to use their internal fuel flow model, rather than the values provided by the sensor, with the required offset.

8) Technical directive 01614 (1 March 2014) provides the methodology by which the sensor will be used, and, should the sensor fail, the method by which the alternate model could be used.

a. The technical directive starts by stating: "The homologated fuel flow sensor will be the primary measurement of the fuel flow and will be used to check compliance with articles 5.1.4 and 5.1.5 of the F1 technical regulations..." This is in conformity with articles 5.10.3 and 5.10.4 of the technical regulations.

b. The technical directive goes on to state: "If at any time WE consider that the sensor has an issue which has not been detected by the system WE will communicate this to the team concerned and switch to a back-up system."

(emphasis added.)

c. The back-up system is the calculated fuel flow model with a correction factor decided by the FIA.

9) The FIA technical representative observed thought the telemetry during the race that the fuel flow was too high and contacted the team, giving them the opportunity to follow his previous instruction, and reduce the fuel flow such that it was within the limit, as measured by the homologated sensor - and thus gave the team the opportunity to be within compliance. The team chose not to make this correction.

10) Under Art. 3.2 of the sporting regulations it is the duty of the team to ensure compliance with the technical regulations throughout the event.

Thus the stewards find that:

A) The team chose to run the car using their fuel flow model, without direction from the FIA. This is a violation of the procedure within TD/01614.

cool.png That although the sensor showed a difference in readings between runs in P1, it remains the homologated and required sensor against which the team is obliged to measure their fuel flow, unless given permission by the FIA to do otherwise.

C) The stewards were satisfied by the explanation of the technical representative that by making an adjustment as instructed, the team could have run within the allowable fuel flow.

D) That regardless of the team's assertion that the sensor was fault, it is not within their discretion to run a different fuel flow measurement method without the permission of the FIA.

The stewards find that car #3 was out of compliance with the technical regulations and is therefore excluded from the results of the race.

Sophon