F1 2014

rixalex

Well I admit to having reservations about this season, but I bloody well enjoyed that race. Great to be able to hear the car to pit chat, and great to see a Williams that looks like it's going to be competitive. biggrin.png

My only worry is how far ahead of the pack Mercedes seem to be. The FIA finally find a way to knock Red Bull and Vettel off their lofty perch, and they could be simply replaced for the next few years by one of the Mercedes drivers dominating. Don't suppose they'll like that either.

Having said that, reliability could trip a lot of teams up this year and help to shake up the order. Interesting times of that nobody can deny.

• Like 1

It seems RB haven't tried to fix what got them disqualified.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/f1/sensor-issue-concerns-horner

No doubt pinning everything on the lawyers.

Qualifying delayed due to rain, why do they no move the Malaysian race to later in season so there is a better chance of actually having a dry race.

I was their in 2009 when it was red flagged after 33 laps and then when it was safe to restart it was too late as it was starting to get dark.

I'd love to be in the Williams debrief laugh.png

If they have any sense it will have been conference call, at least there will be no blood to clear up.

Poor Claire I am sure she has just heard some Anglo Saxon words she has never heard before.

Great on Mercedes, one two, it the car, for Lewis it was a walk in the park with Nico watching his back.

Great on Paddy Lowe mentioning Ross Brawn for his contributions to the development of the car and engine last year

• Like 2

I think it was a pretty uneventful for Lewis.

Some others had a lot of work, Massa had to work hard to stop his team mate passing.

Williams have come out of this looking really weak. Trying to deny that Massa ignored team orders and defend him. Not saying they should have given him a public rollicking, but at least suggest that there would be a heated behind the scenes exchange of words. Not saying that the team orders were right to be given, but since team orders are legal, and since drivers are paid employees of the team, the team needs to have confidence that when they tell a driver to do something, he actually does it. Otherwise, who is in charge?

All that said, i did feel terribly sorry for Massa. All those years being told to move out of the way at Ferrari, and two races into his fresh start at Williams, and he is being told the exact same thing.

Amazing how quickly Red Bull have got themselves back in the game. Who would have thought that they would be up there on the podium, considering how they were during the winter. Mercedes really have to keep on their toes. If not i see Red Bull coming strong in the second half of the season and overhauling them. A task now made easier by the stupid double points for the last race. God i hate that.

Something else i hate is the podium interviews. Really hope they would have scrapped that this year. When it was in the TV studio i always found the questions more pertinent and the responses more interesting. Now for the drivers it's really all about playing to the crowd and going through a long list of thank yous. Speaking of which, what was all that business with Rosberg going on about the people of Malaysia. Weird.

• Like 1

Yes, agree about the podium interviews - not necessary and a bit embarrassing. Bring back the studio interviews.

Gimmicky is what it is. Seems to be the direction F1 is intent on heading in, thanks to the powers that be.

Speaking of which, did anyone see the fool that Bernie made of himself? Having gone off on one about the lack on noise at the first race, a race he didn't attend, he then gives a completely muddled interview in Malaysia in which in one minute he seems to be saying that the lack of noise is a problem, and then the next saying it's ok. And then he's saying something about not being able to get it up. I think at 83 he is losing some of his faculties, and not only in the erection department.

About time some of the old dinosaurs passed the mantle i would say.

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 1

With Lewis followed by Nico dominating all 3 practice sessions, Sebastian must be wondering why he bothered to get out of bed today, well he did beat Max Clinton by just over a third of a second.

I suppose for Sebastian now the boot is on the other foot, it is not so nice when drivers with similar abilities dominate because they have far superior cars.

Edited by Basil B

http://sport.uk.msn.com/f1/domenicali-time-for-shake-up

Domenicali quits as Ferrari chief with immediate effect.

Funny, I was thinking about him the other week and wondering how precarious his position was. Season after season under him Ferrari just seem to be standing still.

I bet after Luca made a bit of a tit of himself at the last race with some of his comments, he wasn't in the best of moods, especially with the way Ferrari finished the race, and so down came the axe. They are being kind enough not to call it a sacking, but I think we all know different. Another thing I think we all know is what a shoe-in Brawn now is for that position. Matter of time before it's announced I'd say. He's a good man for the job no doubt, but I just can't help remembering back to something of a dark period for F1 when he was at Ferrari with Schumi, and hope he won't preside over a similar situation. With the way Ferrari are currently going, admittedly, it doesn't look likely.

Ricciardo excluded from Australia race results

Red Bulls Daniel Ricciardo has lost his second-place finish in Sunday's Australian Grand Prix after stewards decided his car had run with too high a fuel flow rate during the race. The team are to appeal the decision.

Ricciardo crossed the line behind winner Nico Rosberg to claim his maiden F1 podium. His exclusion elevates McLaren's Kevin Magnussen to P2 and team mate Jenson Button to third.

Under article 5.1.4 of the new 2014 technical regulations, cars are limited to a fuel flow rate of 100kg/hour, as measured by an FIA-homologated sensor on the car.

According to the stewards report, Red Bull used a different fuel sensor on Saturday after they found the one used on Friday had produced unreliable readings. However, when the sensor used on Saturday failed to provide results that were satisfactory to them or the FIA, they were instructed to change back to the original sensor within parc ferme on Saturday night.

Considering this sensor unreliable, Red Bull chose to rely on their own internal fuel flow model, something that the stewards say is in violation of the procedure outlined in the technical regulations.

Furthermore, Red Bull were warned by the FIAs technical representative during the race that the fuel flow on Ricciardos car was too high. The team were given the opportunity to correct this, but according to the stewards report, they chose not to make any changes.

Announcing their intention to appeal the stewards decision, Red Bull said: Inconsistencies with the FIA fuel flow meter have been prevalent all weekend up and down the pit lane. The Team and Renault are confident the fuel supplied to the engine is in full compliance with the regulations.

The stewards' decision in full:

The Stewards, having received a report from the Technical Delegate, heard from the team representatives, have considered the following matter and determine a breach of the regulations has been committed by the competitor named below and impose the penalty referred to.

No/Driver: 3, Daniel Ricciardo

Competitor: Infiniti Red Bull Racing

Time: 20:17

Session: Race

Facts: Car #3 was not in compliance with article 5.1.4 of the FIA Formula 1 technical tegulations.

Offence: Breach of article 3.2 of the FIA Formula 1 sporting regulations and Article 5.1.4 of the FIA Formula 1 technical regulations.

Decision: Car #3 is excluded from the race results.

Reason:

1) The technical delegate reported to the stewards that car #3 exceeded the required fuel mass flow of 100kg/h. (article 5.1.4 of the Formula 1 technical regulations)

2) This parameter is outside of the control of the driver, Daniel Ricciardo.

3) The fuel flow is measured using the fuel flow sensor (Art. 5.10.3 & 5.10.4 of the technical regulations) which is homologated by the FIA and owned and operated by the team.

4) The stewards considered the history of the fitted fuel flow sensor, as described by the team and the technical delegate's representative who administers the programme. Their description of the history of the sensor matches.

a. During practice one a difference in reading between the first three and run four was detected. The same readings as Run 4 were observed throughout practice two.

b. The team used a different sensor on Saturday but did not get readings that were satisfactory to them or the FIA, so they were instructed to change the sensor within parc ferme on Saturday night.

c. They operated the original sensor during the race, which provided the same readings as run four of practice one, and practice two.

5) The stewards heard from the technical representative that when the sensor was installed on Saturday night, he instructed the team to apply an offset to their fuel flow such that the fuel flow would have been legal. He presented an email to the stewards that verified his instruction.

6) The technical representative stated to the stewards that there is variation in the sensors. However, the sensors fall within a known range, and are individually calibrated. They then become the standard which the teams must use for their fuel flow.

7) The team stated that based on the difference observed between the two readings in P1, they considered the fuel flow sensor to be unreliable. Therefore, for the start of the race they chose to use their internal fuel flow model, rather than the values provided by the sensor, with the required offset.

8) Technical directive 01614 (1 March 2014) provides the methodology by which the sensor will be used, and, should the sensor fail, the method by which the alternate model could be used.

a. The technical directive starts by stating: "The homologated fuel flow sensor will be the primary measurement of the fuel flow and will be used to check compliance with articles 5.1.4 and 5.1.5 of the F1 technical regulations..." This is in conformity with articles 5.10.3 and 5.10.4 of the technical regulations.

b. The technical directive goes on to state: "If at any time WE consider that the sensor has an issue which has not been detected by the system WE will communicate this to the team concerned and switch to a back-up system."

(emphasis added.)

c. The back-up system is the calculated fuel flow model with a correction factor decided by the FIA.

9) The FIA technical representative observed thought the telemetry during the race that the fuel flow was too high and contacted the team, giving them the opportunity to follow his previous instruction, and reduce the fuel flow such that it was within the limit, as measured by the homologated sensor - and thus gave the team the opportunity to be within compliance. The team chose not to make this correction.

10) Under Art. 3.2 of the sporting regulations it is the duty of the team to ensure compliance with the technical regulations throughout the event.

Thus the stewards find that:

A) The team chose to run the car using their fuel flow model, without direction from the FIA. This is a violation of the procedure within TD/01614.

cool.png That although the sensor showed a difference in readings between runs in P1, it remains the homologated and required sensor against which the team is obliged to measure their fuel flow, unless given permission by the FIA to do otherwise.

C) The stewards were satisfied by the explanation of the technical representative that by making an adjustment as instructed, the team could have run within the allowable fuel flow.

D) That regardless of the team's assertion that the sensor was fault, it is not within their discretion to run a different fuel flow measurement method without the permission of the FIA.

The stewards find that car #3 was out of compliance with the technical regulations and is therefore excluded from the results of the race.

Sophon

Red Bull: Daniel Ricciardo disqualification appeal rejected

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27009862

• Like 1

Wonder if Red Bull will impose team orders?

I think those two words "Tough luck," are going to come back and bite Vettle in the backside.

​Great one for Mercedes, Lewis 3rd win in a row and Nico recovered from falling back to sixth at the start to make it another One Two for Mercedes.

• Like 1

Wonder if Red Bull will impose team orders?

I think those two words "Tough luck," are going to come back and bite Vettle in the backside.

They should do but I'm not sure they will. Daniel is such a nice guy, and still quite new on the scene. I really can't see him defying team orders and not letting Vettel past if asked.

Red Bull come out of this much like Williams did a few weeks ago from their failed attempt at team orders, looking incredibly weak. Drivers have to do what the team tells them, and if they don't, there have to be consequences for the driver. Otherwise just be done with it and name Vettel the team principal.

That business aside, what is going on with Vettel's pace? Never in a million years imagined the man from Torro Rosso would come close to the four times world champ. Bizarre.

And Kimi? With the way his career has gone, guess his loss of form is less unexpected, but still pretty shocking just how far off the pace he is. His teammate on the other hand is showing once again what class he is behind the wheel.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

as for Vettel's pace, one must remember most of winter testing the car constantly broke down or had problems, + way different then his 4x Champ car was, on the other hand Daniel appears to like the car and took to it straight away..

not long ago a 7x Champ came back to a very different car, and look how well he didn't do. guess same for Kimi now a very different car then he won in

as for Vettel's pace, one must remember most of winter testing the car constantly broke down or had problems, + way different then his 4x Champ car was, on the other hand Daniel appears to like the car and took to it straight away..

not long ago a 7x Champ came back to a very different car, and look how well he didn't do. guess same for Kimi now a very different car then he won in

Surely the best drivers are those who can adapt themselves to whatever they are driving, be it reliant robin or be it rocket.

I think with regards Schumi, it wasn't so much to do with the car, but to do with his age and motivation. He just didn't have it and couldn't compete with the young uns. I'm sure a twenty year old Schumi would have done a lot better, and probably had the beating of Rosberg.

• Like 1

Court only sits one day a week to allow the old git to mange his F1 interests, by the time they get to the verdict he will probably be long gone.

This guy has taken a lot of money out of F1 that should have gone back into the sport.

• Like 1

Can anyone catch Mercedes this season? Looks like they will win at least 15 races this season.

Looking pretty ominous for the other teams. If Mercedes only maintains this dominance for the first half of the season, it'll still be sufficient, because they'll be able to afford coming in third, fourth or fifth for the other races, and still have points in hand. Think the only hope is if they start developing reliability problems. Not looking likely at the moment. Reliability in general has been amazing, up and down the field, when considering all the changes that were made. Hats off to the engineers. The real heroes of this season for sure.
  • Like 1

Lewis, is looking over his shoulder.

He says, him winning the Driver Championship and Mercedes winning the Constructors Championship is a long way off and no certainty, he is aware the other teams are striving to catch up, and just hopes the guys at Brackley come up with improvements to keep Mercedes out in front.

For those not running Mercedes engines, it could be very difficult to catch up as the Mercedes engine seems to be built around a number of innovations that other engine manufacturers can not just bolt on to their engines.

Lewis, is looking over his shoulder.

He says, him winning the Driver Championship and Mercedes winning the Constructors Championship is a long way off and no certainty, he is aware the other teams are striving to catch up, and just hopes the guys at Brackley come up with improvements to keep Mercedes out in front.

For those not running Mercedes engines, it could be very difficult to catch up as the Mercedes engine seems to be built around a number of innovations that other engine manufacturers can not just bolt on to their engines.

Lewis and Nico have absolutely the right attitude to be wary of their competitors.

Was a bit surprised by comments Lauda made this week. He said he hoped Mercedes didn't win every race this season. Seemed a strange thing for someone working at Mercedes to say. Couldn't work out whether it was purely his love of the sport and wanting the best for F1, or whether it was a bit of overconfidence thinking they could afford to give away a few races and still win.

Still, i'm sure the men at Mercedes who are actually running the show, Lowe and Wolff, want nothing more than to win every race.

One thing that will help in terms of the driver's championship for Mercedes is if the battle for third in every race is a tight one, with no one driver consistently finishing there. So far, it has been, with a different driver on the third step of the podium every time.

If you took away the Mercedes and imagined that third place was the race win, things would be very competitive and unpredictable.

Edited by rixalex